Author Topic: Concert reviews  (Read 215932 times)

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
Re: Concert reviews
« Reply #220 on: March 08, 2010, 05:28:23 pm »
A double post to share my impressions about my first show here on "Tenoch-metal".
Last night I went with two colleagues watch a rather diverse metal festival. Four black metal bands, one death-grind and one death metal band were on the menu.
The first two bands were two local black metal acts. The sound wasn't with them and I couldn't know if there were good or not. The second band suffered a ridiculous end to their performance, when the sound became so band, that someone from the venue had to get into the stage and turn-off the amplifiers. This happened in the middle of their second song! :blink:
Things get better and better with the fins from Horna and Americans from Impaled. Nice tight performances, that were highly applauded by the crowd. Thumbs up for the guys from Impaled who had a very nice attitude during the show and then joined the public for the rest of the evening. They were very friendly, always saying yes to a photo... or a beer.
Next, we had the Germans from Nargaroth. I must say they are not fave black metal band from Germany, but man! What a performance they offered yesterday! Good sound, nice attitude (for a black metal band) and a spotless execution of most of the songs they played.
The main curse of the evening was Nile. As usual, they played very well and did a tight show... may be a little bit short, but well, after six bands, enough is enough. Great stuff. Just too bad they didn't bring any official merchandise as the guys from Impaled did.
My last thumb up goes to the crowd. They were all very friendly and created a great atmosphere. They didn't get intimidated or provoked when the guys from the second band threw their beers into the public, just for cheering up the guy who put an end to their misery (thanks for turning those things off, man!). I missed however, the stupid jokes the Spaniards use to make during the few quiet moments of a show, but well, these Mexicans are able to do far more noise and look more comfortable to make feel the bands like home. What a great evening.
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #221 on: March 08, 2010, 06:03:49 pm »
Thank you for the vivid report, Alu. I'm glad to hear you had such a good evening!

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #222 on: March 28, 2010, 10:33:11 pm »
Hi folks,

tonight I accompanied my parents to "The Ten Tenors" which my mum wanted to see. :roll-eyes: They did adaptions from a few classical operas and mainly adaptions of pop- and a few rock-songs.

I must admit that each of these guys would make a decent soloist with a strong and expressive voice, but apart from that [rant] don't spend a single cent on this crap! It's just plain awful because a) the concept simply doesn't work and b) the whole thing is so soulless and commercial.

The concept doesn't work because ten tenors are too many for solo-passages and too few for a choir. Also, after 20 minutes you start missing other voices like bass-singers or sopranos. Mmmhhhh... sopranos!  :wub: :wub: But I digress. Some songs and some passages are done pretty well, but all too often you simply hear a loud, intransparent wall of sound when they all sing together. But then again they also did "O Fortuna", where in the end it would be very suitable for them to sing all together on top of their lungs - and just there they kept themselves back. :blink:

And it's all so smooth, so soulless. When they try to do rockers and even pretend to headbang you can see that they're not feeling it, that they are doing it just because their manager told them so. I don't feel anything they want to express, it's nothing but entertainment for the money. [/rant]

So if they come to your place - and the risk is there as they're doing a world-tour - don't even consider going. Donate the money, invest it in alcohol or just burn it, so you can be sure it's put to a better use. Or buy ten tickets for a small classical or metal concert of young, unknown artists right around the corner.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
« Reply #223 on: April 30, 2010, 06:44:07 pm »
Ok, while I'm uploading some few pictures (perhaps videos also), I'll make a short review of Orphaned Land concert... If I'm able to do that! I'm too excited yet!

First of all... I'm sorry to say that (sorry for Therion, I mean), but I'm pretty sure this one has been the best concert I've lived or, at least, the one I enjoyed most. I was almost in extasis  :lol3: As you may know, I were there by my own, and I will never regret that! As some off man said, it's a fantastic experience!!!! Perhaps it helped that I was able to be in the very first row, in the very front of Kobi and very near Yossi. You'll see in the pictures! If I wanted I could touch Kobi's naked feet (thing I didn't do, of course  :nana: ). Although during half concert I was half a step far from the stage, I finally went forward and I was touching the wood of it  :ninja: Yes, I was VERY NEAR  :ninja:

They played a lot of the last album songs (almost all, I think, although I don't have the setlist), The Neverending Way of ORWarriOR. The first one of the album was "Sapari", and I can't tell how much I enjoyed it... I like a lot this song  :biggrin: The band was fantastic in their performance all the concert, very talkative with us. Kobi had learnt some sentence in Spanish, and he was able to say in Spanish that he was smelling some joint (I was too  :alien: ), and kidded asking for some of it. Weird thing to ask or a band that, instead of the traditional beer as something drinkable on the stage, had all water... or lemonade. First time I see such a strange beverage in a metal concert  :ninja:

Well... they played almost all the last album songs, some of the previous classic ones, we jumped, we sang, we cried, we shout, we danced... and finally they left the stage. Of course, bises were needed, and they did the best ones to play: first, Beloved's Cry (some guy near me was asking for it), and after that, and last song of the night... El Norra Alila. I wanted to record that song, but when Kobi asked us to jump, I swhiched off my camera, and started to jump higher than ever (still today I'm very tired of that jumping  :innocent: ). I think I lost 2 or 3 kilos from that song...

Before leaving the stage, with lights already on, they signed some albums to who asked for that, Yossi shook hands with everybody rising his/her hand (me, for instance), and finally left. A very nice concert I will ever remember  :wOOt:

I know I'm not good making reviews... I can't see them in a dispassionate way, and I tend to write a mess... I can't help it!!

Well... I'll post the pictures soon... Has any of you gone to a concert with a singer dressed only with a white tunic (and I'm pretty sure it was the only thing he was wearing)? Well... I've seen  :ninja:
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
« Reply #224 on: April 30, 2010, 06:59:30 pm »
This review isn't a mess, it's clearly reflecting you emotions, this is why it's so great to read! Thank you for posting, Luth, I'm glad that you had such a great concert! :)

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #225 on: April 30, 2010, 07:02:35 pm »
Thanks Lucy! It's really reflecting what I feel  :wub:

Perhaps these pictures will help you to understand a little more the concert  :ninja:

English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
« Reply #226 on: May 01, 2010, 06:48:55 am »
Unquestionable fact: Kobi is the new Jesus. :ninja:
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #227 on: May 01, 2010, 08:23:05 am »
Unquestionable fact: Kobi is the new Jesus. :ninja:

Well, one of first things Kobi told us is something like that: "for those who are wondering... no, I'm not Jesus Christ"  :lol3:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 12:37:33 pm by Luth »

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #228 on: May 01, 2010, 12:11:30 pm »
Very small part of "Treading Through Darkness". And my first uploaded video in Youtube ever!  :fish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSED-UEDSP0
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 12:16:20 pm by Luth »

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #229 on: May 01, 2010, 12:36:11 pm »
Hey folks,

I was wondering the same - good he put that point straight!

And Luth, why would anyone demand a dispassionate review of a passionate experience? :unsure: I enjoyed reading your report and I'm very glad you had a night to remember for a very long time!

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #230 on: May 01, 2010, 10:45:35 pm »
Weeeeeeell......... such a passionate concert deserves more videos. This one is longer... not the full song, but almost. "The Beloved's Cry", the first bis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI9xwjzkUzg

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #231 on: May 02, 2010, 11:37:35 am »

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #232 on: May 02, 2010, 11:44:49 am »
Amazing quality for the simple means you had at hand. :wOOt:

I didn't know Jesus was a growler, though. :blink: Makes me wonder what his Sermon on the Mount really sounded like...  :nana:

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #233 on: May 02, 2010, 12:52:50 pm »
Eya Markus! I am surprised, too, that a simple and cheap (although good enough) compact camera can make videos with such a quality! Of course, I've the best quality option, but even so, image and sound quality are good. The problem is that the file size is huge, and that's the reason why I don't record full songs.

And... I think classic movies about Bible didn't get the point when putting a voice to Jesus, you see  :whistle:

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #234 on: May 03, 2010, 03:59:06 pm »
Great stuff Luthy. The best review ever. It looks that you have a wonderful time, and it's especially nice to see that you did it "alone" (of course you are never alone in a show, but you know what I mean).
Thanks for the pics and the vids. :thumbup:
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #235 on: May 03, 2010, 07:25:24 pm »
Sorry, but I've another video. Why don't I post all together, are you thinking... The answer is simple: I'm uploading them one by one, and I can't wait until having all on-line to show them  :nosweat:

(btw... thanks for the kind replies. I suppose I can hide it was a fantastic time for me  :whistle: :fish: ).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mC3f8FqLsw

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #236 on: May 03, 2010, 09:45:13 pm »

Offline TheOFFman

• Leader of the Brave
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #237 on: May 05, 2010, 07:31:05 pm »
As you may know, I were there by my own, and I will never regret that! As some off man said, it's a fantastic experience!!!!

hehe I told you! I am glad you had a great time. I hope I can see them some time in the future. Did they play Ocean Land and Norra El Norra? What was the sound like? I watched all your videos, thanks for uploading  :)

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #238 on: May 05, 2010, 08:35:41 pm »
Of course they played! I wanted to record Norra el Norra but... Kobi told us all, even the lights guy, to jump with that song, the last and most energetic song of the night, and it's pretty difficult to jump, sing and record anything!! (yes, it can look as not the most energetic song of them, by it was, with all the venue jumping and singing). Next day I was terrible tired for this song  :evil2:
I wish they decide to tour to Croatia, Offy. If you enter their official forum, there's a topic about how to get a concert near you. You have to bug the local promoters and so on... perhaps YOU can make them go there!!  :evil2:
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 08:59:43 pm by Luth »

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #239 on: May 07, 2010, 10:04:38 pm »
And the last one!!! Discicples of the Sacred Oath II!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJfZfB7TJew