Author Topic: When you watch the sky...  (Read 268956 times)

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
Re: When you watch the sky...
« Reply #540 on: August 06, 2012, 02:33:21 pm »
Hope in humanity - restored. :biggrin:
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #541 on: August 06, 2012, 04:41:23 pm »
Hope in humanity - restored. :biggrin:

:lol: You wish!
But then again, who does.

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #542 on: August 09, 2012, 07:27:19 pm »
Yeah, this is good news! Amazing technical performance and everybody hopes for lots of fascinating discoveries.

BTW, you should keep your eyes open for the upcoming visit of the moon to Jupiter and Venus at dawn. That's going to be beautiful sights! Oh, and of course you should be looking for Perseids. :)

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
« Reply #543 on: August 09, 2012, 07:31:07 pm »
Saturday we're going to a restaurant in the beach (near our town), a place we saw one week ago it's pretty dark. After dinner we're going to look for the Perseids  :innocent:
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #544 on: August 12, 2012, 10:44:13 am »
Ok, yesterday Xiquet and I went to the beach to watch the Perseids. It was pretty cloudy at first, but after some time we could see the sky, and we tried with some photos. Unfortunately, we could make some pictures of the stars, but the photos are not good enough, and no shooting star appeared on them. So, I had an idea: we had the camera, a tripod, a remote control and... a ligth!! So, that's the most interesting photos we made yesterday night (sorry if the photos are not sky-themed, but as some of them are made by Xiquet, and he's not a Loyal Member, I wanted to share them in the open forum  :whistle: ).

This is the first try. It was a simple, easy form to begin with  :nana:

Some other pictures...

And the last one... something happened to the photo!!!!

English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #545 on: August 12, 2012, 08:49:01 pm »
By the way... tonight, the maximum Perseids night, we're trying again. That time, no cloud to be seen  :ninja:

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #546 on: August 13, 2012, 10:37:31 am »
Oh Regina Mea Mala, and hi there, Xiquet,

very nice pictures that you made there! Really cute, especially the ship. And the last one - incredibly revealing! Who would have thought that a camera and an electric torch could show so much of the true nature of our queen...

The Perseids I watched from our cottage. Not for long, as I was too tired and the night was colder than I had expected and dressed for, but I watched for about an hour. Gazed up at the summer stars and those of the approaching autumn, at the Milky Way, dividing in Cygnus. Saw too many satellites for my taste, even though the bright ISS was kinda impressive. But there were some meteors (I counted six), moving fast and in the right direction, away from Perseus. Some of them were faint but three were as bright as any star up there. Those had a short afterglow, and one of them showed a greenish colour.

Oh, and this morningI had been awake at dawn, so I went out to my roofdeck. Yes indeed, blazing Venus was in the East and bright Jupiter up and to the right of it. Between the two, actually lined up with them, was a lovely lunar crescent, still presenting Earthshine in the already blue sky. :thumbup:

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #547 on: August 13, 2012, 11:04:11 am »
Hi Markus,

yesterday we went, again, to be star-gazers. This time we were a lot more successful, although the camera wasn't. I didn't count them, but I saw more or less 7 or 8 very clear Perseids, and some more which I'm not sure. The majority of them, when the camera was again in the bag and only my eyes could register that! Murphy's law never fails...

Curiously, the very second photo of the night registered something... although I'm not sure if that's a Perseid or a plane. The way the camera was hold in the tripod, the left of the photo is, more or less, the north, and the camera was directed just at 180ยบ from the ground. The direction, I think, it's more or less the correct, but...  :cht2:

By the way, the ship, and the little light man, were all Xiquet's creatures. Even the Evil Evil Queen is...  :lol3:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 11:09:19 am by Luth »

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #548 on: August 13, 2012, 01:19:58 pm »
I thought so that it was probably Xiquet's work. Very well done indeed! Must have been fun to do that. :biggrin:

I'm also glad that you saw a few Perseids at least and I'm looking forward to seeing your photo (which I can't from here).

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #549 on: August 13, 2012, 06:47:06 pm »
I like a lot those pics, Luthy :-) Amazing stuff!

About the Perseids... unfortunately I haven't been able to catch any. Too much light pollution in this place :-/

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
« Reply #550 on: August 16, 2012, 05:44:27 am »
These photos are fantastic, Luthy! :wOOt: How did you do?

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #551 on: September 12, 2012, 10:02:22 am »
Hey folks,

have you seen the moon these days? I've been watching it in the morning from the end of last week... first as a half moon at the Golden Gate, the passage of the ecliptic between the star clusters Pleiades and Hyades. Then passing bright Jupiter and, waning more and more, approaching brilliant Venus. Even if you've missed it: Take the chance to look at the winter constellations like Taurus, Orion, Gemini before dawn! They're beautiful and they've been absent for a while, returning now as autumn approaches.

Oh, and on Saturday night I've seen a wonderful summer sky with my Dad at our cottage. Cygnus flying high above us, along the Milky Way... just plain beautiful!

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #552 on: September 12, 2012, 11:24:03 am »
I did so too. About two days ago I could not fall asleep and then I watched for a moment from a window and got an awesome view :-)

I tried to take pictures but as my camera is very far from being as amazing as Luth's and I do not have any tripod - they are not any good. I had wonderful view of the half-sized red moon trying to hunt Jupiter and also the Pleiades :-)

You have to click the full view to see the pics properly. :-)

Winter sky is my favourite. I always very much look forward to Orion, my favourite constellation. :) It's some kind of my "personal amulet".

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #553 on: September 19, 2012, 09:51:47 pm »
http://www.wechoosethemoon.org/#

Anyone who loves interactive stuff - this is amazing! :-) It is about the trip of Apollo and it's completely MINDBLOWING.

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #554 on: September 20, 2012, 04:17:56 pm »
Hey folks,

yeah, that's really a wonderful site! :thumbup: Thanks a lot for sharing. :)

I'm also very fond of today's APOD. Great choice for this time of equinox 2012 (which is exactly on Saturday). And of course I'm very fond of the low crescent moon I saw hovering above the horizon last night and the splendid winter skies with Jupiter and a blazing Venus just at at early dawn today.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #555 on: September 21, 2012, 12:41:41 pm »
That's a very nice picture! I like the place where it was taken (all the cranes) and not even mention the awesome Sun stuff of course! :-)  Did You find the transit from all the suns there?  :lol3:

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #556 on: October 03, 2012, 08:54:21 pm »
Today's APOD is very nice! :-) And it is "interactive" - just move the mouse over it :)

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap121003.html

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #557 on: October 04, 2012, 07:03:45 pm »
Yeah, that's really beautiful! Though I tend to see an eagle there, not a goat. :nosweat:

Well, as the Sun is slowly approaching a new solar max there might be auroras coming up even at our latitudes.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #558 on: November 21, 2012, 09:50:03 pm »
So, have you heard the latest news about Curiosity? :-) They say it's breaking news stuff! Should be released in few weeks when they are completely sure.  I can't wait!

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #559 on: November 22, 2012, 10:41:50 am »
No, Kris,

haven't heard of that yet. I'll keep my eyes and ears open. Where do you have the hint from?

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!