Author Topic: When you watch the sky...  (Read 280170 times)

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Re: When you watch the sky...
« Reply #520 on: June 03, 2012, 02:03:49 pm »
Dear Kris,

don't look without a filter! Sunglasses are utterly useless once the sun is up. It's really too dangerous.

While the sun is still on the horizon you may see Venus without a filter, thanks to the thick layers of air. Once it's up. it's too bright, anyway - I doubt that you'd really see anything against the glare. Perhaps the eye damage is all you get. Nah, that's not worth it. It's better to

• dig out the old eclipse glasses
  • improvise a pinhole-camera
  • visit a public observation

Take care and cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #521 on: June 03, 2012, 03:20:14 pm »
Sorry, I do not have the glass anymore and of course, I am not in condition to go to any public observation - besideds non was announced. :(

Anyway, I still don't believe that it will be clear skies.
But then again, who does.

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
« Reply #522 on: June 04, 2012, 08:50:42 pm »
I've unburied certain eclypse-glasses with German technology. If clouds allow it, I think I'll have some minute of sun-and-Venus-gazing until Venus definitively leaves the Sun. I'll tell you if I finallly did it...  :ninja:
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Gevurah

« Reply #523 on: June 05, 2012, 07:04:43 am »
I didn't get lucky :(  did any of you manage to see the event?
...Sail on the sea, come to me
Through the night
Pass through the gate
And steer your course
Until you reach the gods...

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #524 on: June 05, 2012, 07:08:50 am »
It's tomorrow, isn't it??  :blink:
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #525 on: June 05, 2012, 10:45:25 am »
Yes, for Europe it's tomorrow.

Steel skies here. :(

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #526 on: June 05, 2012, 11:26:13 am »
Indeed, folks, it's tomorrow at sunrise in Europe. That would also explain why Gevurah didn't see anything. :wink2: But it also means you haven't missed anything yet. :)

This is what I hope to get a glimpse of, despite the unfavourable weather, and this is a sure way to get an unobstructed view.

Best of luck and cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Ereshkigal

• Dark Queen
    • http://matsleven.com/, catarsis-metalera.com, metalcritico.com
« Reply #527 on: June 05, 2012, 03:49:22 pm »
Awesome picture!

Too bad I cannot get those special eclipse glasses :-( Have no clue were they are sold or can be found.

On the other hand, we have YUCKY weather. With yucky I mean, dark skies, no view of the sun, humidity is at its worst and the heat is annoying.

Anyways, I am going to have to settle with the web's report

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #528 on: June 06, 2012, 05:59:02 am »
Too many clouds :-(

And now it's just finish, now I can see the Sun!!!! :mad3:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 06:01:11 am by Luth »

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #529 on: June 06, 2012, 06:37:45 am »
Great success here! Details to follow...
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
« Reply #530 on: June 06, 2012, 07:12:07 am »
I got a pretty good glimpse of it actually. Multiple times. My friend and I decided to stay up until sunrise (I've been up for over 24 hours without sleep, but it was totally worth it) to see it. And wow, we managed to see it for the first few minutes or so while I was still relatively safe to see it with the naked eye. After that, it was looking through old x-rays that my parents were kind enough to provide, which we then taped to a pair of binoculars and just looked at the beauty of Venus crossing... It was awesome
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Gevurah

« Reply #531 on: June 06, 2012, 07:37:39 am »
2 of clouds and now its about to rain again... I'm glad some of you had more luck. The photos i found online are beautiful. 
@Markus:  :nosweat: i knew it  lasts for 2 days but really I admit I didn't know which one was for Europe. I was planning to check both days, found some old eclipse glasses but the sky was so cloudy i would not have been able to watch it in any of the days.
Well ..maybe in a next life :)
...Sail on the sea, come to me
Through the night
Pass through the gate
And steer your course
Until you reach the gods...

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #532 on: June 06, 2012, 01:29:16 pm »
Nothing here :(

Offline Ereshkigal

• Dark Queen
« Reply #533 on: June 06, 2012, 03:26:01 pm »
I watched it on video.

Still pretty amazing. Would have love to see it like Jorge got the chance to :)

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #534 on: June 06, 2012, 06:40:04 pm »
Hey folks,

sorry for those who tried and didn't get a glimpse! Congrats to those who made it. So, here's my story:

I went to our cottage yesterday with Dad and Abby (i.e. Maggie renamed) - Mom had to stay at home. The weather was very doubtful, forecasts saying that thick clouds would roll in just at the wrong time. We set the alarm clock anyway and got up at 4 am.

Dad told me the skies were clear but I didn't believe him until I saw for myself: Yes, it was mostly clear with dawn already bright, the less-than-full-moon hanging in the South and just some thin clouds. I got dressed, grabbed my stuff and the doggie and started while Dad meant to follow later, after a short breakfast. A crimson red pillar of light was pointing out the spot on the horizon where the sun was, ready to rise with the transit in progress. Just some thin stripes of cloud were in that vicinity - not perfectly clear but sufficient.

Within 15 minutes we reached our chosen spot: A beautiful hill which had its very own vegetation of low grasses, certain flowers and even some Sedum-species, very different from the surrounding plain meadows - much like an island in the landscape. Chiefly an island with a very good view of the horizon to the East and the Northeast. This early human visit scared away two roes, a female pheasant and some bird of prey.

The light pillar had grown dimmer and turned a reddish golden tone. A few minutes to go. Abby sat down in front of me and seemed to gaze at the spot where the Sun was about to rise. :wub: Dad was being late due to his breakfast; he missed the very start of sunrise and came up while the Sun was coming up, too.

But I didn't miss anything: Two minutes before calculated sunrise, a brighter orange horizontal stripe appeared at the base of those thin clouds. That early? Hell, yeah! Sunrise is calculated for the center of the solar disc; the upper limb has to appear before that. So I watched intently as that stripe grew broader and swelled upwards into a distorted Sun. And sure enough, I discovered a tiny black spot in the upper part! Harder to see than I expected, but it was there. :wicking: :yeha:

Meanwhile even dad had arrived and the Sun was up. There was a break in the observation because the Sun was too bright for direct watching but too dim for the special filters. But finally it became visible through the filters. Now we could observe the tiny spot that was Venus through the special eclipse glasses and even through the binoculars we had equipped with solar filters. How huge Venus was at 8-fold magnification! Not just a dot anymore but truly a small disc. Much darker and much clearer than the three groups of sunspots we could see.

We fled from the unpleasantly cold wind and left the top of the hill, going a few meters down its slope. A lark used the free space and sang its song just five or seven meters above the hilltop while we kept watching Venus as it slowly slid across the solar face, approaching its limb and thus becoming harder to see with the naked eye. What impressed me most were these things: The sheer rarity of the event. The clarity of the view - the perfect little circle with its sharp rim and the deep contrast to the solar surface - much deeper than the contrast of the sunspots. And of course the ability to watch the motions in the solar system within less than two hours - experiencing their motion live!

Well, the clouds rolled in before Venus and the Sun parted. It was 7.18 am CEDT when I last saw it; after that the Sun was nothing but a brighter spot in the clouds without any definite shape. So we missed the egress by half an hour, but so what? :wink2:

So there were two transits of Venus in our lifetime and I managed to see both! :wOOt: :yeha:

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Ereshkigal

• Dark Queen
« Reply #535 on: June 07, 2012, 04:40:06 am »
Markus, reading you post made me feel like I saw it myself.

Thanks for sharing your experience!  :thumbup:

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #536 on: June 07, 2012, 08:51:10 pm »
Great review Markus! Seems like you really enjoyed, didn't you? :lol3:

As I said, no luck for me. I was on the train, on my way to my work, and I only had a fast glimpse of the sun when stopped on one station. Sky was cloudy and/or misty, and for a moment the sun was only behind some mist... too light to look without any protection, but too dark to look with the eclipse glasses. No way I could see anything in the 5 seconds time I was given  :bawl:

Well... next time... I mean... next Mercury transit (on 2016 I heard). Better that than waiting more than 100 years  :fish:

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #537 on: July 25, 2012, 03:29:35 am »
Hey folks,

if you get out during early dawn: Look East, look for Venus! It's so brilliantly blazingly bright - really beautiful. Jupiter is nearby; not that bright but still worth seeing.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #538 on: August 05, 2012, 01:49:48 pm »
16 hours and 41 seconds to the Curiosity's landing on Mars :-)

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #539 on: August 06, 2012, 10:04:01 am »
New Martian inhabitant - Mars Curiosity rover has landed! :-)

First pic - Curiosity snaps picture of it's shadow. I am very happy person this morning! This makes me feel so great!