Author Topic: When you watch the sky...  (Read 279520 times)

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
Re: When you watch the sky...
« Reply #300 on: December 03, 2010, 09:29:10 pm »
Wonderful photos! :wOOt: Thank you for sharing! Yes, the middle one: could you tell us please, what's that interesting building? :)

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
« Reply #301 on: December 03, 2010, 10:16:41 pm »
The sky looks awesome in China! :thumbup:
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Monade

• a piece of white noise
« Reply #302 on: December 04, 2010, 02:10:19 pm »
The middle one was taken in Colorful Riverside (a sight located in Burqin, Aletai, Xinjiang China)
That building is a kind of watchtower or signal station.

But I couldn't sure whether it is ancient building or an imitation... :unsure:
That place wasn't easy to approach...and the horse near the signal station was a fake one :biggrin: I didn't know why they put a fake horse there but it looked good in sunset :hop:

Glad to know you like them  :wub:
Tlön, Lemuria, צִיּוֹן, Lisboa, Stockholm, Лю́берцы, Venezia.

Offline Nighthawk

• Life on Mars?
    • Lust.fm
« Reply #303 on: December 04, 2010, 02:20:58 pm »
Together with Peru (Machu Picchu, to be more precise), China is my number one place see one day Oh glorious day.

The only problem is the language barrier. I only know a bit of Chinese - and that bit's confined to curses and swear words

I blame "Firefly"!
Can't stop the signal.

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #304 on: December 05, 2010, 01:51:43 pm »
Hey Monade,

clear skies in Shanghai? You must be kidding me!  :wink2:

Yes, these are very beautiful pictures. Each is fascinating in its own way... The tall trees on the first one, the piece of the Great Wall with the low sun in that half-desert landscape on the second, the utterly blue sky with the white clouds on the third. Very well done; thank you for sharing!

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline Monade

• a piece of white noise
« Reply #305 on: December 05, 2010, 02:49:35 pm »
Oh,Nighthawk, I love Machu Picchu too! :wub: I get knowledge of Machu Picchu from books about archaeology, I have longed for there from when I was a kid :wub: :wub:

In fact, language barrier isn't a big problem in visiting China. Since China is a multinational country and the wide land, even feel at home in Mandarin Chinese, there also exsist language problem in places like Xinjiang, where Uygurs formed the majority in local minority nationality and Uygurs speaks Uighurs……

Just take preparing like to learn some local customs, which are different in each part of China, or just find a good guide  :wink2:
Respect local tradition and customs is enough to provide a wonderful journey. And China isn't short of good guide who good at English :thumbup: and most Chinese are very hospitable
So don't afraid of the language barrier :hop:
And welcome to China :wOOt: :yeha:

So Markus you didn't stay for a long time in Shanghai! :innocent:
In China' s South - East coastal areas, when the winter came, dry weather always bring clear blue skies……without clouds!  :yeha: but it's very rarely of course……
And in summer, a few days before the typhoon came, the sky will be so blue that……totally inconceivable  :wub:

PS: in the second pic it wasn't the Great Wall :wink2: It's a individual signal station. The existing Great Wall ends in Gansu Province in the west side, not extended into Xinjiang :)
I love the way you describe the pictures :wub:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 02:52:51 pm by Monade »

Offline Nighthawk

• Life on Mars?
    • Lust.fm
« Reply #306 on: December 05, 2010, 03:08:02 pm »
In fact, language barrier isn't a big problem in visiting China. Since China is a multinational country and the wide land, even feel at home in Mandarin Chinese, there also exsist language problem in places like Xinjiang, where Uygurs formed the majority in local minority nationality and Uygurs speaks Uighurs……
Dunno if you've watched "Firefly" - it's an excellent scifi western show that got tragically cancelled, in which chinese culture prevailed over american at one point, so everyone knows a bit of Chinese. Pretty much the same way everyone knows at least a few words of English nowadays.

That's where I got the swear words from :D Granted, they don't always pronounce them right. Exactly like English nowadays ;D

More precisely, everyone knows a few words of Mandarin Chinese.

Just take preparing like to learn some local customs, which are different in each part of China, or just find a good guide  :wink2:
I think I'll need a guide who'll have enough patience to wait while I sit atop every damn hilltop, read my Little Black Book of Chinese Poetry and get all introspective and mushy for the next few hours :D

We sit together, the mountain and I,
Until only the mountain remains.

So don't afraid of the language barrier :hop:
And welcome to China :wOOt: :yeha:
It's like I'm already there ;D

And in summer, a few days before Typhon came, the sky will be so blue that……totally inconceivable  :wub:
Selective reading ftw.
Can't stop the signal.

Offline Monade

• a piece of white noise
« Reply #307 on: December 05, 2010, 07:25:44 pm »
Dunno if you've watched "Firefly" - it's an excellent scifi western show that got tragically cancelled……
Oh, that's "Firefly", I didn't know about it ever before :idea: So it put on from 2002-2003 ? I found it was 9.5 score in IMDb, WOW!

We sit together, the mountain and I,
Until only the mountain remains.

You left me totally speechless...WOW!
Li Bai's Poem! Oh!
I googled to get that. I have to say it's really amazing to read Li Bai's poem in English version :thumbup:
That translation is so brilliant! By Sam Hamill, right? I like that!
However, there is fewer mush in original text :wink2:

I HAVE FOUND 12 ENGLISH VERSIONS OF THIS POEM JUST NOW!

All that I can say is ...........
 WOW!  :hop:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 07:27:31 pm by Monade »

Offline Nighthawk

• Life on Mars?
    • Lust.fm
« Reply #308 on: December 05, 2010, 09:28:00 pm »
Oh, that's "Firefly", I didn't know about it ever before :idea: So it put on from 2002-2003 ? I found it was 9.5 score in IMDb, WOW!
That's the one :)

Browncoats, unite!

(Slight correction: according to Wikipedia, the USA and China merged into one culture. Not that it makes a lot of difference :D)

There's also a fantastic "Firefly" movie, "Serenity", but I wouldn't recommend watching it before seeing the 13 episodes of the series. You'll understand once you see the film ;D

Serenity :wub:

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til you understand who's in ruttin' command here!" (Jayne Cobb)

It's the show where you'll learn such lovely phrases as "wo de ma he ta de fong kung de wai sheng dou" and how to wish your enemy "da xiang bao za shi de la du zi"

That translation is so brilliant! By Sam Hamill, right? I like that!
However, there is fewer mush in original text :wink2:
Yup :) The only thing I changed was the end of the first verse, where I wrote "I" instead of "me", but beside that purely cosmetic change, that's Hamill :)

I HAVE FOUND 12 ENGLISH VERSIONS OF THIS POEM JUST NOW!
Yeah, and that confuses me to no extent - I find one version that I really love, then another that's okay, then yet another that's great... Make up your damned minds, already :D
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 09:29:31 pm by Nighthawk »
Can't stop the signal.

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #309 on: December 06, 2010, 12:26:50 pm »
So Markus you didn't stay for a long time in Shanghai! :innocent:
In China' s South - East coastal areas, when the winter came, dry weather always bring clear blue skies……without clouds!  :yeha: but it's very rarely of course……

Indeed not, just for a couple of days in 2008 and 2009 when I went to China for two solar eclipses. But it was enough to get an impression of the Shanghai skies. I had read in the travel guide that Shanghai rarely has really blue skies: when it's not cloudy it's often hazy instead. :lol3: Everybody told me the same, and I made the same experience when I was there.

The eclipse of 2009 I observed outside Shanghai, and we had a little luck with the weather there. But in the city itself the eclipse was clouded out, which was doubly cruel because there had been some unusually clear days before that. Such a pity because so many millions of people could have seen the full glory of a total solar eclipse, millions of people of which many won't ever get a second chance for that.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Monade

• a piece of white noise
« Reply #310 on: December 06, 2010, 05:18:27 pm »

There's also a fantastic "Firefly" movie, "Serenity", but I wouldn't recommend watching it before seeing the 13 episodes of the series. You'll understand once you see the film ;D

Serenity :wub:

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til you understand who's in ruttin' command here!" (Jayne Cobb)

It's the show where you'll learn such lovely phrases as "wo de ma he ta de fong kung de wai sheng dou" and how to wish your enemy "da xiang bao za shi de la du zi"

Thanks for the introduction :wink2:
Interesting, and it reminds me of Douglas Adams' series The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy  :roll-eyes: Indeed I am also reading Mostly Harmless now. I feel a little similar in their style.   :)
Thank you Nighthawk, I will search more about it and try to find the series, then the film :wOOt:

Yup :) The only thing I changed was the end of the first verse, where I wrote "I" instead of "me", but beside that purely cosmetic change, that's Hamill :)
That cosmetic change is excellent ;)  I think in this position "I" or "me" is both fine in grammar, and “I”  rhymes. And in original text, “I” is even more accurate :thumbup: :thumbup:
Sometimes to read more version could provide not only more viewpoints but a brand new mix version made by reader self :biggrin:

Indeed not, just for a couple of days in 2008 and 2009 when I went to China for two solar eclipses. But it was enough to get an impression of the Shanghai skies. I had read in the travel guide that Shanghai rarely has really blue skies: when it's not cloudy it's often hazy instead. :lol3: Everybody told me the same, and I made the same experience when I was there.

The eclipse of 2009 I observed outside Shanghai, and we had a little luck with the weather there. But in the city itself the eclipse was clouded out, which was doubly cruel because there had been some unusually clear days before that. Such a pity because so many millions of people could have seen the full glory of a total solar eclipse, millions of people of which many won't ever get a second chance for that.
Oh I must apologize for the weather that day  :bawl:
Yes, it's a pity that it ought to be a solar eclipse presented in millions of people. Now I feel the bitter of your saying... :hug2:

Back to the topic  :)
These days the night sky is mixed by purple and pink, paper coulds float with some bright stars decorate
quiet and peaceful
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 05:43:45 pm by Monade »

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #311 on: December 06, 2010, 06:54:30 pm »
No bitterness, Monade! :)

I knew how the climate is when I booked the journey. And we were quite a bit outside Shanghai where we got a hole in the clouds just for totality, so I did see the black sun. :wOOt: I'm just sorry for those that stayed in the city.

And one year before that, when we observed another eclipse in the Gobi desert, we had wonderful conditions, so that one was pretty much perfect!

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #312 on: December 14, 2010, 08:43:30 pm »
Watch out for the Geminids tonight and don't forget about the lunar eclipse at the next full moon. :)

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Monade

• a piece of white noise
« Reply #313 on: December 15, 2010, 05:54:52 am »
Watch out for the Geminids tonight and don't forget about the lunar eclipse at the next full moon. :)

There was heavy cloud cover above, I have missed all  the meteor showers happened in my life for all kinds of reasons :blink:
Looking forward to the lunar eclipse nest week [url=http://www.smiley-faces.o

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #314 on: December 20, 2010, 11:33:50 pm »
Hey folks,

it's just a few hours until the lunar eclipse begins. :wOOt: Here, the weather is finer than expected. Right now it's clear outdoors, let's see if that lasts long enough for me to get a glimpse of the shadow of the earth again.

The partial eclipse begins at 6.33 CET in the morning, totality starts at 8.41 CET. But for most of the Europeans and South Americans the moon sets before totality starts. In North America you can see all of the eclipse, in Asia the moon rises when the eclipse is in progress. Kuwaitis get no eclipse this time. :cht:

Cross your fingers for clear skies, and cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
« Reply #315 on: December 20, 2010, 11:38:19 pm »
Yes, I know. The forecast man told us about how we won't be able to see the end part of the eclipse, as the moon hides before it, and how it will never be completely dark, etc etc... To say, as soon as he finished to explain all that, that it will be so cloudy that we won't be able to see anything  :blink: :fish:

If clouds happen to let me have a glimpse of the eclipse, I'll be able to watch it from the train from 6.40 to 7.30 more or less... But as I say, clouds are expected (not wanted  :ninja: ).
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #316 on: December 20, 2010, 11:46:17 pm »
Hey Luth,

it's not really much better over here as clouds are expected to roll in just for eclipse-time. :mad3: But I'm going to try to see something of it, anyway.

I won't be too disappointed if it doesn't work out. Firstly I wouldn't be able to see the Red Moon this time, anyway, as it sets before totality. Secondly I've seen so many eclipses already that I can afford to miss a minor one.

That being said, GET AWAY YOU GO**AM F***ING CLOUDS! THERE ARE PEOPLE DOWN HERE WHO WANT TO SEE SOMETHING, SO MOVE YOUR FAT UGLY A**ES AND GET THE F**K OUT OF F***ING SIGHT, G*DDA**IT!

Now, THAT being said you can find all the details here and some text here.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
« Reply #317 on: December 20, 2010, 11:47:45 pm »
Is not a cloud, but hides anyway.  :afaid:
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
« Reply #318 on: December 21, 2010, 08:28:21 am »
:lol:

I haven't seen anything, but we have a beautiful, milk-like mist here. :)

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #319 on: December 21, 2010, 12:59:59 pm »
Hey folks,

there was only one single cloud here at eclipse time! Unfortunately it covered all the sky from horizon to horizon. :bawl: Had it come just a few hours later, I would have seen the eclipse...

Well, there's still the solar eclipse on the 4th of January which will be a sunrise eclipse for most of Europe. Let's hope for clearer skies then! I'll give you details before this year ends.

Cheers!

Markus

Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!