Author Topic: When you watch the sky...  (Read 268305 times)

Offline saphira

• Queen of dragons
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Nothing is trivial...
Re: When you watch the sky...
« Reply #120 on: March 09, 2008, 05:35:51 pm »
@NeMo: It's cloudy..for now..but I hope the wind will blow them away..that's why I said that it looks like it's going to rain..

@Alu: huh..  envy envy envy.. give me some snow! This is no winter without the snow.. 35 cm!!!!  :wOOt:
It can't rain all the time so put a smile on your face and proudly take another step.

The time of dragons will come again...
THERION - Till the day I die!

Offline Mystique

• Butterfly Faerie
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Madness takes its toll.
« Reply #121 on: March 09, 2008, 06:09:31 pm »
@NeMo: I just came from the outside, and yes, I did see the moon!  :biggrin: Awesome! If you hadn't said this, I probably wouldn't have paid any attention to it :P :biggrin:
Too bad I wasn't able to take a pic of it, since my camera is really bad...  :bye:

all in all  :thumbup:
For a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down!

Offline saphira

• Queen of dragons
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Nothing is trivial...
« Reply #122 on: March 09, 2008, 06:24:17 pm »
Yeey! I saw it!   :)   :thumbup: ..but the clouds covered it back again..
It can't rain all the time so put a smile on your face and proudly take another step.

Offline NeMo

• The Banned One
« Reply #123 on: March 09, 2008, 07:38:12 pm »
@Misti & saphira: was the Moon so thin like on the picture I posted? ^_^

Unfortunately, I couldn't see it from Berlin, the sky was not clear enough. :(

Too bad I wasn't able to take a pic of it, since my camera is really bad...  :bye:

Someone is under DD's influence again! :fish:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 07:40:22 pm by NeMo »
I Miskolc!

Offline saphira

• Queen of dragons
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Nothing is trivial...
« Reply #124 on: March 09, 2008, 07:59:56 pm »
@NeMo: yes I think it looked like on your photo..maybe just a really tiny bit more thick..

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #125 on: March 10, 2008, 02:25:42 pm »
@Alu: huh..  envy envy envy.. give me some snow! This is no winter without the snow.. 35 cm!!!!  :wOOt:
If snow were as expenssive as gold or oil, Canada will be the richest country on earth... especially this winter. We are 30 cms away of breaking the all times record of more snow in a single winter... Wait a sec... all times?...  :unsure: ... weeell, at least since 1850 when these kind of things began to be measured.
Anyway, the most fearful thing is that we still have a month or so before saying that the winter is really-really finished :afaid:

Ice cream anyone? :insane:
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
« Reply #126 on: March 10, 2008, 04:01:29 pm »
Well, we have the worst dry-time since some long time, so... perhaps some "topping" in our mountains would be great. When snow melts... rivers fills and waters flows  :wOOt:

Yup, some ice-cream for our mountains, please!!  :lol:
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Mystique

• Butterfly Faerie
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #127 on: March 10, 2008, 04:46:03 pm »
@Misti & saphira: was the Moon so thin like on the picture I posted? ^_^

It was a wee bit thicker...  :biggrin:

Someone is under DD's influence again! :fish:

Oh shut up! If you had a camera with 2.5 megapixels, you would see what's it like for us...little people :P   :disgust:  :biggrin:

Offline saphira

• Queen of dragons
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Nothing is trivial...
« Reply #128 on: March 10, 2008, 07:06:42 pm »
@Alu: ENVY! I want that snow!  :biggrin: well we didn't have snow for the last..3 years...it was really almost no snow..and even the one that was, was on ground only for about 3 days.. :'(
And I don't like the weather we have right now..I like it when it rains..and I love the wind   :wub: ..but here is just like preparing to rain and nothing happens..and it only causes that  I have terrible headaches..I'm very under influence of the weather..  :wacko:

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #129 on: March 10, 2008, 07:20:12 pm »
When You watch the sky - You could probably see Nordlys...

But then again, who does.

Offline saphira

• Queen of dragons
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Nothing is trivial...
« Reply #130 on: March 10, 2008, 07:32:55 pm »
Beautiful!!!!  :wOOt:   :wub:

Offline lavaniegosII

• The Composer
  • Loyal Member
  • Fly free bird
    • www.myspace.com/ainset
« Reply #131 on: March 11, 2008, 05:32:43 pm »

I've to watch one of these phenomena before I die.
6 6 6

Offline NeMo

• The Banned One
« Reply #132 on: March 11, 2008, 08:46:19 pm »

Polar lights can be seen only from the very northern latitudes, like Norway or Canada. :P Did you see it Kris? :)

Tomorrow evening, the 12th of March, Europeans will have the opportunity to see the close meeting of the crescent Moon and Pleiades. Pleiades, also known as The Seven Sisters, are the most famous star cluster in the sky. It is located in the constelation of Taurus and is very conspicuous. It consists of several hundreds of hot blue stars, but only 6 are visible to the naked eye - Atlas, Alcyone, Merope, Electra, Maia and Taygeta.

Pleiades are, in Greek mythology, the seven daughters of Atlas and of Pleione, the daughter of Oceanus. Their names were Electra, Maia, Taygete, Alcyone, Celaeno, Sterope, and Merope (see the picture above). ;)

The meeting will be so close that the Moon will actually eclipse Sterope and Taygeta. The event will take place high above the west horizon between 19h and 21h. I recommend observing it between 20h and 21h because the sky will be darker and it will be easier to spot Pleiades (just below the Moon). The help of binoculars is again welcomed but NOT necessary. ;)

@Aluqak: at the time sun sets in Canada, the Moon will already be several of its diameters away from Pleiades... to the left. However, it will still be a nice sight, you should check it. :thumbup: After the sunset, as soon as the sky gets dark enough.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 08:53:21 pm by NeMo »
I Miskolc!

Offline Mystique

• Butterfly Faerie
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #133 on: March 12, 2008, 10:46:30 pm »
 :verymad: Unfortunatelly, I didn't manage to see this today...I came outside and realised how cloudy it actually was...I couldn't see a thing - not even the Moon itself....
stupid weather  :roll-eyes:

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #134 on: March 13, 2008, 10:56:34 am »

Polar lights can be seen only from the very northern latitudes, like Norway or Canada. :P Did you see it Kris? :)

I knew that cause I am stupid but no sooo stupid....  :-\
Yes, I saw them.
But then again, who does.

Offline NeMo

• The Banned One
« Reply #135 on: March 13, 2008, 04:09:17 pm »
There is an easy way to find Pleiades (as well as some other stars) in the sky without the Moon being right next to them. By using Orion, which is very conspicuous and is located above the southwest horizon after the sunset these days. ;)

Spot the three stars forming its girdle and put an imaginary line through them. If you extend that line for a height of Orion to the left, you'll find Triocton Sirius (:fish:), the brightest star of all heavens. However, if you extend it for a height of Orion to the right, you'll find an orange star called Aldebaran (in the constellation of Taurus). Extend it for additional half height of Orion to the right over Aldebaran and you'll find Pleiades! :thumbup: Six of them should be visible by a naked eye under the dark sky...

I Miskolc!

Offline saphira

• Queen of dragons
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Nothing is trivial...
« Reply #136 on: March 13, 2008, 07:42:21 pm »
Hey NeMo I tried to see it yesterday but there were that damn clouds..and I checked out how it is tonight but it's again cloudy..I was hoping that it will be clear since the day was so beautiful..but I guess I'll have to wait for some other time..

Offline NeMo

• The Banned One
« Reply #137 on: April 15, 2008, 03:06:37 pm »
People, tonight if the sky is clear you'll have a nice opportunity to spot Saturn easily. Because it will be just above the Moon. Actually, there will be two bright "stars" just above the Moon (also more and more to the right of it as the night goes on). The left one is Saturn and the right one is Regulus, the brightest star in the constelation of Leo. ;)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 03:09:12 pm by NeMo »
I Miskolc!

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
« Reply #138 on: April 15, 2008, 05:33:16 pm »
People, tonight if the sky is clear you'll have a nice opportunity to spot Saturn easily. Because it will be just above the Moon. Actually, there will be two bright "stars" just above the Moon (also more and more to the right of it as the night goes on). The left one is Saturn and the right one is Regulus, the brightest star in the constelation of Leo. ;)

:blink:

Checks two times the author of the previous post

Hey NeMo, such a short post, no pics, no spam, nothing? :fish: Are You alright? :unsure:

Thanks a lot! I'll see if the sky above my city is clear. :)

Offline NeMo

• The Banned One
« Reply #139 on: April 16, 2008, 06:12:23 pm »
Hey NeMo, such a short post, no pics, no spam, nothing? :fish: Are You alright? :unsure:

I hope I am... :unsure: Wait a moment to ask the voices... *consults with the voices :P
They claim that I'm still OK. :biggrin:

So, you want some pics? And some spam ;D There you go, a pic and a spam at the same time... 2 in 1 4 in 1! :P

Btw, I made that one from LEGOs in Killmenow Ilmenau couple of days ago. 8) My cousin has a daughter, 3 years old, and I played with her. :) I'll post some pics of her in that photo topic... ;)

Have you seen the Moon, Saturn and Regulus Lucy?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 06:27:18 pm by NeMo »
I Miskolc!