Author Topic: When you watch the sky...  (Read 268528 times)

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
Re: When you watch the sky...
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2007, 12:38:26 am »
Well, this last week we've been having thunderstorms almost every night. Very beautiful, an enjoyment to my sight. :biggrin:
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2007, 12:44:34 am »
Hi there,

what I really consider luck is that the weather remained clear, we had a pretty decent view of a rather dark nightsky and some straw to lie on and that we saw about 40-50 meteors within a few hours, among them many bright ones. :yeha: The astronomical conditions are yet improving, but since tomorrow is a normal workday we had to stop there.

Oh, I even did a short live-interview by phone for the regional radio. :)

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2007, 04:57:06 pm »
Yesterday it was a public view of the shooting stars at the mountain, in my new city. But... although few hours before 24h (official time for the watching) clouds were not very thick, at 23h it started to rain... and thunders and lightenings... Until streets were flooded and some roads were closed because of the flood. Of course, no shooting stars watching yesterday!  :bawl:

But... Saturday me and Xiquet were able to see some at home of friends of mine. Not a lot, but better this than nothing  :lol:
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2007, 06:34:34 pm »
Early this monring we had (again) the wonderful view of a lunar eclipse (only visible in this side of the Atlantic though :biggrin: ). In spite of the fact that my eyes were half closed and that I was yawing every three seconds, I must say that the view was impressive, one of the most beautiful in a long time. The moon became black and then orange-red... and it 'set' that way (before the end of the eclipse)... and it gave the impression of being 'bigger' than it usually is. Great stuff! :thumbup:
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2007, 08:57:04 pm »
I heard about it two days ago in the News... and I thought "of course it won't be seen in Europe, or Markus should have spa... written something about this long time ago  :ninja:

Good to hear you were able to see it, Alu  :yeha:

Any picture?  :whistle:
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline VladH

• Shapeshifter
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Dead
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2007, 10:53:33 pm »
Beautifull sky and moon tonight.... I love it...
The Longships are coming...

Offline Loke

• Twisted Bard
  • let the twisted pipes blow
    • me
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2007, 04:43:34 am »
Early this monring we had (again) the wonderful view of a lunar eclipse (only visible in this side of the Atlantic though :biggrin: ). In spite of the fact that my eyes were half closed and that I was yawing every three seconds, I must say that the view was impressive, one of the most beautiful in a long time. The moon became black and then orange-red... and it 'set' that way (before the end of the eclipse)... and it gave the impression of being 'bigger' than it usually is. Great stuff! :thumbup:

I enjoyed it here in Mexico , it was like a bloody (literally hehe) moon :D

yo yo yo
Scripta Manet

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2007, 11:41:31 pm »
Today, oh no, tonight I heard some silent clap, clap... I draw back the curtains and viwed from windows. It rains cats and dogs. Almost whole night.
I couldn't see the moon, only dark clouds. Reminds me Scandinavian rain-showers (:
Clouds are slowly wandering upon the sky, only lonesome aircraft sometimes breaks this sight.
I love autumn's rains...
But then again, who does.

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2007, 07:03:51 am »
It's 2am and I'm looking at the rain and the lightning. I don't know, it's actually beautiful. :biggrin:
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline VladH

• Shapeshifter
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Dead
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2007, 10:43:58 am »
It was 6th day of fullmoon... I think that it gone crazy... I didn't sleep well for too long. From the beginning of this madness. And this night I felt a wandering... hope it's not lykantropy...
The Longships are coming...

Offline IronCretin

• Every tear I shed/Is for you
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2007, 11:22:59 am »
We had the blood moon here too, a couple days back.

Quite a sight to see.

~Alex~

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2007, 06:17:53 pm »
Oh yey... I forgot to write here that finally my favourite constellation Orion also called The Hunter. It's visible in early morning on 40°- 60° in Northen Hemisphere :)

A celestial map of Orion constellation made in 18th centure in line with Albrecht's Dürer gravure:

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2007, 01:28:03 pm »
Hi folks,

another unusual sight is to be seen these days: The comet 17/P Holmes returns approximately every 7 years, but it's usually a very faint object - far too faint to be seen with the naked eye, and even too faint to be of interest to most telescope skygazers. But a few days ago it went through a dramatic outburst and increased in brightness several 100.000 times! Now it's easily visible as a star-like object of medium brightness, visible to the naked eye even from light-polluted cities! Many observers even report that they see it as fuzzy object, disk-like, a small nebula.

You can find information on 17/P Holmes at Spaceweather.com, including sky maps. Browse the archive of the past few days if they should take the article from the site, and look up tonight or later when the sky is clear.

Good luck in comet-hunting and cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2007, 05:26:40 pm »
Here the sky is cloudy and it's raining. I hope you have clear skies, Markus.

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2007, 07:27:59 pm »
Here too, and really foggy...

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2007, 01:44:10 am »
Hi folks,
another unusual sight is to be seen these days: The comet 17/P Holmes returns approximately every 7 years, but it's usually a very faint object - far too faint to be seen with the naked eye, and even too faint to be of interest to most telescope skygazers. But a few days ago it went through a dramatic outburst and increased in brightness several 100.000 times! Now it's easily visible as a star-like object of medium brightness, visible to the naked eye even from light-polluted cities! Many observers even report that they see it as fuzzy object, disk-like, a small nebula.
Excelent news Man!
I'm a big fan of comets since 1986... Tonight we have cloud skies here in Québec, but tomorrow I'll be ready to raise my head and take a look to the northeast. The comet is larger than Jupiter they say :o
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2007, 09:28:05 am »
Hey Alu,

The comet is larger than Jupiter they say :o

Its proper size, i.e. the diameter of its shell of dust and gas, is bigger than Jupiter, yes. But Holmes is much closer to us than Jupiter, so its apparent size in the sky is even far bigger. It's said to be 4'' - 1/7 of the moon! I saw it with my own eyes last night, and it's really plain to see. Look towards Perseus, and if you know the constellation (or if you use a skamyp of that region) you will immediately notice a star that doesn't belong there and that looks to hazy and diffuse to be a real star. That is 17/P Holmes. :)

Good luck and cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2007, 10:00:02 am »
Could you please give me a good link where I could check the moon phases?

P. S.: First I wrote "hold phases" in half Hungarian. :lol:

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2007, 10:37:21 am »
This is very dangerous topic for my mind. It makes me think about space like when I was child. For example one deadly: If there was big bang, what was before that?

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2007, 10:55:35 am »
Hello ladies,

If there was big bang, what was before that?

That's a simple one: Because time itself began with the Big Bang, there was nothing before it. :nana:

Lucy, I use astronomy software like XEphem for the exact moon phases. If you only care about the main quarters (new moon, waxing half, full moon, waning half), then any decent astronomical almanac will do. If you want an internet resource, this one looks pretty decent.

BTW we expect a rainy night here. :(

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!