Author Topic: When you watch the sky...  (Read 277903 times)

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Re: When you watch the sky...
« Reply #440 on: December 11, 2011, 11:58:04 pm »
Hey folks,

so here's what the eclipse was like for me:

I had gone into the Dölauer Heide, the city forest of Halle, and climbed the Kolkturm, a viewing tower from which I hoped to get a good view of the horizon. I was there around 15.45, the sky was clear above but mostly cloudy on the horizon. I could see Venus, though - 15 minutes before sunset!

Two young men with cameras came up, and I thought they'd be there for the eclipse, too. They only took a photos of the surroundings, kept chatting about firefighter jobs and complaining about the cold, and then they left me alone again.

15.55 - just before the end of totality - I got a last view of the sun, a bright glowing red through lead-grey clouds. Six minutes after that, the sun would set, two more minutes later the moon would rise. The Northeast, where the eclipsed moon was about to rise, was clouded, but the clouds were moving swiftly and I hoped to get a view of the eclipse.

A young family with two small agile children appeared, another one followed later. But the clouds didn't move as fast as I'd like them to. Well, I kept watching the skies with my naked eyes and also with  8x30 binoculars, scanning the region where the moon had to be - and so I was the first to notice its glow through the clouds at 16.25. :wOOt: Its yellow shine disappeared in the clouds, though, too fast to notice its shape. Immediately after that, some graupel / soft hail fell. What a timing!

However, a few minutes after that we got another, slightly longer glimpse and could recognise that the moon was only half lit: The darkness of the clouds was moving across the lunar surface, that other darkness on the upper right side of the moon wasn't. The umbra! :yeha:

That was enough for the families so they headed home. I stayed on top of the tower, though, waiting and hoping for another glimpse. A big cloud - the soft hail bringer - had moved from the West to the zenith. Jupiter was visible and dusk was still bright. A friend called me and we talked for a while. Around 16.45 I told her: "Wait a moment, it's coming out now. It's coming out now!" And then I screamed right into her ear in triumph and jubilance: For I did not only see the moon, still yellow from its low altitude, with a bit on the upper right missing due to the eclipse. No, I even saw the red light inside the umbra! For the shadow of Earth is not completely dark, it's brightened up a little by a red light which the atmosphere of our planet casts into the otherwise black shadow. This red light makes the moon visible even in total eclipse, and I was still able to see it on the eclipsed part of the moon - in my binoculars and even with the naked eye. This was so much more than I had expected, so I really had to shout it out! :yeha: :yeha: :yeha:

This image is similar to what I saw, but not nearly as splendid as the real view.

Kris, perhaps this is what you saw, too? At what time did you get your glance of the moon?

Oh, I just had to get out my mp3-player and listen to "The Seal of the Bleeding Moon" by Sobre Nocturne and "Draconian Trilogy" by a certain Swedish occult symphonic metal band. I couldn't help myself but to sing along - but that's ok, I was alone up there. :lol3:

Well, I kept watching the rest of the eclipse with clear skies towards the moon. I could follow the umbral light until a few minutes after 17.00. First I lost it from the naked eye view, then even in the binoculars. Now it really looked simply as if someone had taken a bite out of the moon. Some cloud had approached in the meantime and covered the moon about ten minutes before the end of the partial eclipse. I got another clear glimpse at 17.17 - 17.18; just in time to see the moon leaving the umbra.

After that I climbed down from the tower and started to go home, happy to have successfully observed an eclipse after two complete failures / clouded-outs this year.

Cheers!

Markus Umbraphilus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #441 on: December 12, 2011, 12:55:06 am »
P.S.: You might want to check the spaceweather.com gallery for this eclipse.
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #442 on: December 13, 2011, 03:20:43 pm »
Thank You :-)

Tonight: Geminides. Tonight: Cloudy skies.

- it's getting boring You know, dear weather....  ¬¬ -_-
But then again, who does.

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #443 on: December 14, 2011, 05:37:06 pm »
Yeah, there's a kind of a pattern, isn't there?  ¬¬

I helped to correct today's APOD caption. :wOOt: At first they had written that the eclipse hadn't been total in India. But that's nonsense, a lunar eclipse is total anywhere the moon is seen during totality. Some folks pointed that out in the discussion board and the caption was changed. :)

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #444 on: December 14, 2011, 05:45:49 pm »
What a wonderful APOD!!!

Oh, great You found a way to do so! :-)

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #445 on: December 15, 2011, 01:00:51 am »
Thank you, Kris!

BTW I've seen three Geminids tonight! :wOOt: Kris, you can have the brightest one. :)

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #446 on: December 15, 2011, 10:54:34 am »
Thank You :blush: gratefully accepts it and wishes on a star

We had cloudy weather again even though it was very strong wind which actually came here from Western Germany - and it came with rains and heavy cold (cold!!!) storm. :-)

Haha, the sky is so covered with clouds that even though it's 11AM it's so dark I nearly feel like switching on the lights.

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #447 on: December 15, 2011, 09:38:08 pm »
Yeah, we're getting a storm here, too - but perhaps more on that in the weather thread.

Make that four Geminids - I saw another one from my roof-deck last night. :)

Have you seen today's APOD? :wOOt: It's another composite of the latest lunar eclipse. I love this kind of photo because it makes the shadow of the Earth itself visible.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #448 on: December 15, 2011, 09:50:37 pm »
Very cool :-)

I think this is what I saw. The grey shadow (not the orange-reddish one).

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #449 on: December 16, 2011, 11:12:31 am »
Ah, I see, Kris. But the outer parts of the umbra are grey or sometimes even blueish. So what exactly did you see? A more or less clearly defined shadow - or just a tiny, hardly perceptible brightness gradient? The latter would only be the penumbra indeed, but the first would be the outer part of the umbra. Of course you can also recognise it by the time: Until 17:18 CET the moon was in the umbra; if you've seen the moon before that then you've still seen the partial phase of the eclipse with the moon still inside the umbra.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #450 on: December 16, 2011, 08:19:41 pm »
I am sure I saw only the penumbra, cause I definitely came outside later than 17:20. :-)

Hmm, would You believe that my colleague from school wrote me yesterday asking me about astronomical stuff like if I was some profi? : )))
She asked me why does the Moon appears to be every day on a different place when it's the same time like the day before. I have to say I had to think for a while  :lol:

I really enjoy the Jupiter lately. It's like my guiding star. Even when it's cloudy a lot I can see him almost every evening. Like if the clouds were at least with this case so polite to step out for few seconds to let me see him. It's so big even on the sky...

Offline Ereshkigal

• Dark Queen
    • http://matsleven.com/, catarsis-metalera.com, metalcritico.com
« Reply #451 on: December 16, 2011, 09:22:00 pm »
When I watch the sky I always see a very big bright star.

My mom asked me the other day: Is that a planet? or a star?

I said: Mmm I dunno, could also be a satellite!

Enlight me! oh masters of the universe!  :lol: I am not very educated in this matter. How can I find out what is it that I see up in the sky?

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #452 on: December 16, 2011, 10:13:22 pm »
I think the brightest thing next Moon is Jupiter.

Take a look at the programme at http://www.stellarium.org/ If You install it and set Your GPS and the altitude it can show You Your sky map ... when the Moon will rise, the trajectory of it, other trajectories... (planets...).

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #453 on: December 17, 2011, 01:32:38 pm »
Dear skygazers,

right you are, Kris - at that time it should have been the penumbra. You're a pretty good observer when you noticed that! :thumbup: For a penumbral eclipse doesn't strike the eye; you have to look very closely to perceive it. And you are, it's very nice of the clouds to let you peek at Jupiter even on a cloudy night. :)

Eresh, I suppose Jupiter. A program like stellarium is surely a good way to check that. Even a website like CalSky may be help. But in the case of a single bright "star" it's even easier: Did it move fast across the sky, in similar speed as an airplane? Was it gone within a Then it was a satellite. Or did it move slowly, turning with all the other stars? Then it was a star or planet.

Some planets are much brighter than any star, so they're most likely to strike the eye. Was it a very bright object in the West at dusk? That was Venus. Or was it a very bright object somewhere East, climbing higher as the night progresses? That was Jupiter. For comparison you may have a look at Sirius, the brightest genuine star in the sky. Can you find Orion? you'll recognise him by his hourglass- or butterfly shape and the three equally placed, almost equally bright stars of his belt. That belt points to a pretty bright, blueish-white star - Sirius. That's the brightest fixed star we have on Earth's skies. When seen near the horizon it will flash in white, blue, green and also red. That's due to our atmosphere and it's something you most likely won't observe on a planet.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Ereshkigal

• Dark Queen
« Reply #454 on: December 23, 2011, 05:29:08 pm »
I haven't paid attention to these questions....position, movement, etc....I will observe this today.

The other day I just noticed it did not twinkle and it was dawn. It was the only visible star when the sun was hiding.

*takes notes of your comments*

Offline Ereshkigal

• Dark Queen
« Reply #455 on: December 24, 2011, 02:01:46 am »
Hey guys.

Downloaded the software at http://www.stellarium.org/. CalSky seemed a bit complicated for a noobie like me  :innocent:

I am playing around with Stellarium today. Too bad the sky is cloudy today and we have some drops of rain. I cannot even see the moon :-/ and it's a shame no star in the sky.

Will try again tomorrow!

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #456 on: December 24, 2011, 08:00:45 am »
Eya Eresh,

I am playing around with Stellarium today. Too bad the sky is cloudy today and we have some drops of rain. I cannot even see the moon :-/

But neither can I nor anybody else because it's new moon. :nana:

Well, enjoy the software and better luck with the weather soon!

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Ereshkigal

• Dark Queen
« Reply #457 on: December 24, 2011, 06:46:24 pm »
LOL! Gimme back my moon! XD I could not spot it last night, but then again so many clouds.

Hmm this software is pretty cool. I keep playing with it today.

Today it is windy and there is not a single cloud in the sky. I hope the nice weather stays tonight! *crossing fingers*

Offline Ereshkigal

• Dark Queen
« Reply #458 on: December 27, 2011, 01:34:41 am »
Nice weather and clear skies today.

So, it is definitely Venus. The bright star I used to watch. It's beautiful tonight and right above the moon, I can see Capricon's horns  :ninja: or maybe Capras   :evil2:.

Hopefully when it is a bit more dark I get to identify more stars  :thumbup:

Offline Ereshkigal

• Dark Queen
« Reply #459 on: December 27, 2011, 03:55:49 am »
I took a picture with my crappy BlackBerry. Don't laugh! The resolution pretty much sucked! But just so you get an idea :)

Venus meets the moon  :drunk:

Update: 9:30pm: Venus and the moon left for a drink  :ninja: that leaves bright Jupiter up in the sky looking pretty bright and handsome!

I identified Delphinus earlier today.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 04:05:16 am by Ereshkigal »