Author Topic: When you watch the sky...  (Read 278779 times)

Offline Lady Sa'iltu

• Do What Thou Wilt...
Re: When you watch the sky...
« Reply #360 on: January 18, 2011, 12:50:06 am »
When I was reading the phrase "last Saturday I saw Venus just before dawn", I suddenly recalled one thing.. When I was about 5 or 6 years old (if I'm not mistaken) I took a look at the sky and saw the 2 disk therein. It was like 2 suns were shining; it was at midday, I think. I often recall this view. Once I told my dad about it and he said that he had watched the same long ago and he didn't remember when. What could it be?..... I'm an increadible ignoramus so I have no idea about that).
"Die gewöhnlichsten Irrschlüsse der Menschen sind diese: eine Sache existiert, also hat sie ein Recht." (F. Nietzsche)

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #361 on: January 18, 2011, 10:32:27 am »
Hey Siren,

what you've seen is probably a sundog, also called parhelion - because they can look as bright as extra suns, next to the real one. You can read about them here or browse some images of them and their closest relatives here (click "Halo..iridesc..rainbow..lightning..").

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline Lady Sa'iltu

• Do What Thou Wilt...
« Reply #362 on: January 18, 2011, 11:42:35 pm »
Thank you very much for the useful sources of information! I've never heard about these phenomena before!! And I guess that what I've seen may be this!
"Die gewöhnlichsten Irrschlüsse der Menschen sind diese: eine Sache existiert, also hat sie ein Recht." (F. Nietzsche)

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #363 on: January 19, 2011, 07:26:37 pm »
You're welcome, Siren!

Halos, parhelia and all their relatives are anything but rare, you just have to know they exist and when and how to look for them. But such a bright parhelion as you describe it is something pretty rare indeed, so congrats. :)

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Lady Sa'iltu

• Do What Thou Wilt...
« Reply #364 on: January 20, 2011, 01:49:21 am »
Indeed! Unfortunately, I was too young to guess to take a pic of it

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #365 on: January 20, 2011, 07:28:09 pm »
Today, if you watch the sky in Tenochmetal you'll see the smoke fumed by the mighty Popocatepetl :cht:
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
But then again, who does.

Offline Lady Sa'iltu

• Do What Thou Wilt...
« Reply #367 on: January 24, 2011, 12:07:12 am »
Thanks!!!!!!!!

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #368 on: January 29, 2011, 06:57:11 am »
How art thou accompanied by the lunar crescent with its clear earthshine, oh Heylel ben Sharach! :roll: :wOOt: :wub:

P.S.: At 08.17 CET I still saw Heylel - with Shamash already above the horizon! :wOOt: :yeha:
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 12:42:34 pm by Markus »
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #369 on: March 06, 2011, 09:34:22 pm »
Hey folks,

I saw a wonderful lunar crescent tonight, slender, almost lying horizontally, right next to Jupiter in the clear dusk. Very beautiful - perhaps some of you noticed it, too. :) If not, the moon will remain a crescent and be easy to see for the next few days right after sunset.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Lady Sa'iltu

• Do What Thou Wilt...
« Reply #370 on: March 06, 2011, 10:09:34 pm »
Must be awesome! Unfortunetely, the sky over Moscow is covered with clouds, and the Moon cannot be seen(((.

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #371 on: March 07, 2011, 09:44:42 pm »
That's a pity, Siren,

because the view tonight was beautiful, too. I really had fun with the moon... on my way home from work, waiting for the train, I was scanning the skies strainedly before the sun set but didn't find the moon. A minute later when I was casting just a casual glance up I had it right in my view, ghostly in the bright skies and still very slender.

Later on in the city, waiting for my tram :fish: I managed to put myself in such a position that the lunar crescent was right on top of a church tower, creating an alternate version of German history. :lol3: That was an alignment so delicate that I could watch the moon gliding away within less than a minute as Earth just kept on spinning.

Finally, as the sky darkened, the earth-lit nightside of the moon became visible. Because the crescent was still pretty much horizontally aligned - unusual for my latitude - I managed to hide it behind a distant roof so only the nightside was sticking out. I still saw it, thus proving that the earthshine was not merely an optical illusion created in my brain but that it was really really there, the lunar landscapes lit by the almost-full Earth in the lunar skies.  :wub:

Cheers!

Markus
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 09:46:44 pm by Markus »
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
« Reply #372 on: March 07, 2011, 10:32:27 pm »
an alternate version of German history. :lol3:

:roll:

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
« Reply #373 on: March 19, 2011, 04:35:47 pm »
I've heard that tonight there's the most nearest, the most powerfull moon for 18 years. Of course, I'll go to the beach to look at it (or is ti her?  :lol3:).

I've also read a retired geologist in America who says that it's very probably that there's a huge earthquake in California, among other reasons, because of the moon. I wish he's mistaken, although I know San Francisco is expected to suffer a powerfull eartquake one day or another...  -_-

Ok, let's enjoy of tonights Moon, in the meanwhile  :wOOt:
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
« Reply #374 on: March 19, 2011, 08:40:39 pm »
The moon looks glorious. :biggrin:
As for California, if anything strikes it's just karma paying back CalTech for rejecting me. :ninja:
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #375 on: March 20, 2011, 12:43:32 pm »
Right you are, Luth! The full moon was pretty close last night.

The moon is that close once a month, but this time this so-called perigee happened almost exactly at the instant of full moon. This did lead to slightly stronger tides, but could it cause earthquakes? Surely not. It might trigger one that's been overdue, but then the perigee full moon would only be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

I saw the moon last night and yes, it seemed bigger than usual. I saw it when it was rising, and that's when the so-called moon illusion kicks in, making the moon appear bigger than it is. But even when I consider this, the moon still was bigger than usually. Very nice! :)

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #376 on: March 29, 2011, 09:31:23 am »
Hey folks,

ever seen a double rainbow at night? :wOOt: Lo and behold!

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #377 on: April 18, 2011, 07:28:47 pm »
Today I left home at 6.30 a.m., as usual, and I've seen the most beautiful moon I've seen for ages  :wOOt:  It seems it was not full moon yet (it's tonght), but it was almost almost almost full. I've seen it from the street (for some German astromist-lover, and a Diamond Lady, they may remember the main street that crosses my own street  :ninja: ), and I looked up to the sky just in front of me: the (almost) full moon showing just in the middle of the sky, filling almost all the visible space of the mountains just in front of my view. Low, yellowish, big... beautiful  :wub:

I had to share it with you  :spock:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 07:30:23 pm by Luth »
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
« Reply #378 on: April 18, 2011, 07:38:06 pm »
(for some German astromist-lover, and a Diamond Lady, they may remember the main street that crosses my own street  :ninja: )

:bawl:

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #379 on: April 18, 2011, 07:40:08 pm »
It was not my intention to make you cry, Lucy  :hug2:

So... remember that it's very likely we can meet again in Prague!!!  :wOOt: :hop: :drunk: