Author Topic: When you watch the sky...  (Read 268955 times)

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Re: When you watch the sky...
« Reply #340 on: January 05, 2011, 10:29:30 am »
Hey folks,

it's me again. :nosweat: You can find the short TV-report from our observation site here. It's going to be online for a couple of days only, so watch it soon. :wink2: You will see a solar crescent recorded somewhere farther East and you will see the hill we were on, the sights we had, the clouds that obstructed our view (please boooh at them!) - and us. Those who know me will recognise me, tired and unshaved. :lol3:

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
« Reply #341 on: January 05, 2011, 09:06:38 pm »
Oh, oh... who is this guy at the end of the video... I can't understand a word of him... Only thing I know is that he's a little crazy: you can see everybody wearing heavy jaquets and cap, and he wears an unzipped jaquet, no scarf, no cap... What would he do if he was here, in Barcelona? Wearing shorsleeve at almost winter?  :evil2:

PS. Perhaps you can translate the words of this guy...  :innocent:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 09:19:19 pm by Luth »
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #342 on: January 05, 2011, 11:49:04 pm »
Right you are, Luth! That man has to be a bit :insane:

They asked him if anything was seen so far, and he said that they hadn't had a direct view of the sun. It was the time of maximum eclipse, he said, and that it would have been beautiful to see the lunar silhouette against the sun. He also added that according to his personal impression daylight took much longer to come up than you would expect on a normal winter day.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #343 on: January 06, 2011, 08:25:44 am »
:roll:

I know that guy too! Hooooooooooooo  :biggrin: Now I know what is Your voice like! But acutally, it sounds so telvizisch in the tv :D

Hmm, I saw the eclipse in the end where it was only a little bit of dark part :)
But then again, who does.

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #344 on: January 06, 2011, 11:32:48 am »
But acutally, it sounds so telvizisch in the tv :D

Hmm, I saw the eclipse in the end where it was only a little bit of dark part :)

Well, then we should arrange a live meeting. :ninja: Oh, and I'm glad you saw something of the eclipse - but next time let me tell you about safe watching first. You really scared me! :afaid:

Next time, next time... I'm afraid the next time we get to see a solar eclipse here in the middle of Europe will be 2015. :bawl:

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #345 on: January 06, 2011, 06:19:05 pm »
Only 4 years? Oh, that's not that much. I will never see the total solar eclipse ever in my life! :) (again). I am fine waiting "only" four years for the next one.

Yes mum... :blush: I know... I just could not find the glass and I had only few minutes left :blush:
But then again, who does.

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #346 on: January 06, 2011, 06:51:01 pm »
I've read that, I think it's in 2027, we'll have a total solar eclipse!!  :wOOt:

I don't know where will it be seen... all south Europe? Only Spain? I don't know... Only thing I know is that it will happen, and there's still a lot of time for that  :insane:
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #347 on: January 07, 2011, 12:09:37 pm »
Hey folks,

never say "never", Kris! If you want to see another total solar eclipse then I'm sure you'll find a way to travel for one. Perhaps not next year, but there's still so much time left...

Luth, you're right! Your country is quite blessed by the lunar shadow in the 2020s. See this page in the World Atlas of Solar Eclipses. From the blue areas you can see a total eclipse, from the red areas an annular one. Near these blue and red lines you can see a deep partial eclipse, but the partial ones are not represented in the atlas because it would simply be too much. So your country gets two totals and an annular in 2026-28. :wOOt: Your city is on two of these paths, or at least very near. OMCD! :w00t_jump:

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #348 on: January 07, 2011, 12:33:12 pm »
By then, we can make an NTSMS gathering, together with our children and their classmates...  :lol3:

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
« Reply #349 on: January 09, 2011, 05:41:10 pm »
By then, we can make an NTSMS gathering, together with our children and their classmates...  :lol3:

Absolutely! :lol3:

Markus, I think I know that guy from somewhere... :unsure: ...but the one he reminds me speaks English. ???

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #350 on: January 09, 2011, 06:39:32 pm »
Lucy, perhaps he has a doppelgänger in Germany? :afaid: Or it's the same guy and he's learnt German in the mean time. :wOOt:

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
« Reply #351 on: January 09, 2011, 07:32:45 pm »
He CAN'T learn German THIS well. -_-

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #352 on: January 09, 2011, 07:33:20 pm »
Eya Lucy! What a coincidence! I know a guy that reminds me to THAT guy too, and he also speaks English. But I think the accent is very similar, both in English and German  :afaid:

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #353 on: January 09, 2011, 08:39:11 pm »
I suppose the specific configuration of gravitational fields during the eclipse opened a gate to a parallel universe where that guy speaks German instead of English.  :shifty:

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
« Reply #354 on: January 09, 2011, 10:15:26 pm »
It must be the waves from the solar photons somehow interfering constructively with a certain German's probability wave, causing two points with equal amplitude and hence with equal probability for this German to exist in the time-space fabric. :ninja:
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Gevurah

« Reply #355 on: January 11, 2011, 10:00:17 am »

I've see this month's eclipse from work. It was cloudy but right during that time the clouds got thinner around the sun creating a natural filter. It was a great day to start the year (first day at work for 2011  :-\ )
I'm thinking of getting a telescope this year (was about to make it a xmas gift but new hiking equipment was more necessary  :unsure: ) ..does any of you know of a software that allows you to connect the telescope to the computer and record the images? I know i should probably google it..and i did but didn't clarify things for me very well. Perhaps if you know one that is good and doesn't suck all the memory of your pc i would be grateful if you told me it name.

G.
...Sail on the sea, come to me
Through the night
Pass through the gate
And steer your course
Until you reach the gods...

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #356 on: January 11, 2011, 03:54:50 pm »
Hey Gevurah,

a telescope? :wOOt: That's a good choice!

Unfortunately I'm not really into astrophotography, so I can't give you much advice. What I do know is this: If you want to record high-quality astro-photos there is good free software for processing them. You'll want a very decent telescope, though! Large optics of high quality, a very strong and stable mount plus a very decent camera with suiting connections. So you should find out first what exactly you want to do with the telescope. Just watch the skies or make images? What kind of objects - do you have anything special in mind or do you want an all-rounder? Where are you going to observe from? Dark skies or near the city? Will the telescope be fixed somewhere or do you want it to be mobile?

I recommend you to look for a local group of amateur astronomers and to ask for their advice.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Gevurah

« Reply #357 on: January 12, 2011, 04:29:44 pm »
Hi Markus,

i have a few decent options so i am still deciding. I am not really into astrophotography but i like to know that if i want to i can record some images.. as for objects i just fell the need to wonder around.. I live in the countryside so i  have plenty of space (with no city lights or buildings)  to watch the skies. It would be a shame not to get a telescope :) such perfect places here. For now i look at the sky and just imagine what is there..it would be really nice to have the freedom to actually see.
Still... I will look into it and see what i can find here.

thanks !

...Sail on the sea, come to me
Through the night
Pass through the gate
And steer your course
Until you reach the gods...

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #358 on: January 12, 2011, 05:46:45 pm »
Hi Gevurah,

that sounds like a reflector telescope on a good equatorial mount is the thing to go for - something like a Maksutov, Schmidt or Cassegrain. They make good all-rounders which allow you to watch planets with nicely high magnification while at the same time gathering enough light for some lovely deep-sky-excursions - plus it's easy to attach a camera and shoot a few pics.

Whatever you choose, enjoy!

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #359 on: January 18, 2011, 12:12:31 am »
Hey folks,

last Saturday I saw Venus just before dawn, and OMCD! I had forgotten how bright she is. :blink: If you have a chance to take a look at the pre-dawn skies, take it!

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!