Author Topic: Literature  (Read 4803 times)

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
Literature
« on: December 31, 2004, 02:21:36 pm »
Well... too long time without creating this topic! Almost new year, it's the moment!! I'd like to comment here those literary works you have readen and you want to explain: why do you like it? why it have touched you in a special way?

Although I can talk about thousands of books, now I want to comment only one: "Anne Frank's Diary":

Why I have decided this one? Because it's the work which has touched me more in my live. I suppose all you know about, although maybe only few have readen it. It's not a fiction work, but the real personal diary of a young Jew girl in the time she had to hide with her family and other family, hide from nazi's. I wanted to read it until I know about it, but I really read maybe two years ago. And it really touched me as I never can imagined!

As it is a real diary, not a fictional one, I knew in all moment that what she was writting were actually her feelings, her thoughts, her acts. She was a little girl who fast grew in a terrible vital situation... and you can see how she had fear, she start to know about love, how she get angry with her parents or the other family who hide with them... as any little girl does.

When she wrote the diary, she often express her wish to be a famous writter in a future. But I (all readers) know that she had no future: she died in a nazi concentration camp with all her family, except her father. Specially hard for me was reading, when the diary is reaching its end, how she really belived in the godness of humankind. She ACTUALLY believed in it, after know how terrible can be the humankind, and very near to her end in hands of her enemies. She was so optimistic in the worst conditions. Besides this, and in final pages too: she wonders what if she becomes a great writter, and she becomes a knowed, famous person by her works... In that moment, I cannot help to think that she really reached it, she has become a famous writter... although she won't know it, never!

When I finished to read it, I had a terrible sad feeling... But it was after a while, when talking about with my mother, when I cannot help it... I'm not ashamed to tell this: I cried, and more than I've ever cried for a movie or for any literary work, because I was thinking in the real Anne, and how she lived and how she died.

I don't know, I don't use to talk about this, but I need to tell it, and I want to share my experience with you.

Of course, this topic is not only a sad works as this, you can tell us your enjoying experience with which you want.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2004, 02:24:49 pm by Luthien »
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Fallen Seraph

Literature
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2004, 06:30:30 pm »
I to felt very sad after reading Anne Frank's Diary. It was not just ofr her to, it was to think. All these wars, these genocides, these deaths. Who knows if they had been allowed to live, ho knows what they could have accomlished. We could have cured cancer, broken countless emdical, cultural, and scientific boundries. But... We will never know because of the hatred and anger that seems to seep from some of the human race.

Offline Ereshkigal

• Dark Queen
    • http://matsleven.com/, catarsis-metalera.com, metalcritico.com
Literature
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2005, 05:06:53 pm »
Heya guys!

I have with me Anne´s Frank Diary and have decided to begin reading it. I will have let you know my comments!

Now, I have decided to post about the books that have in a way touched me.

I like reading books about my country, specially those that talk about our Civil War. More specific "Las mil y una historias de Radio Venceremos" and " La terquedad del izote". (I dunno how to translate them).
They are veridic testimonies about the things that happened in the mountains while the guerrillas would fight againts the armed forces. This, in a perspective more from the guerrilla side describes how they prepared to fight as well as very detailed information of the unfairness of how many crimes were comitted by those in the army.
 So many  unfair crimes were made during this 12 yrs. and tears rolled down my eyes when I re-read anything about the poor peasants getting killed just because they looked like they could be involved with the guerrillas.
On the other part, it is amazing to read how they planned everything! How sneaky were those guerrilas and this clandestine phantasmagoric  radio that aired from "no where" in the 12 years of war, never got caught! It was a crime for the goverment back then to listen to this radio, and they would just come up with any idea and even air from the top of a tree!
These are the books that have really touched me...I think about those yrs. and also how I lived thorough them with fear....reading them really brings a melancholic feeling into me...great! now I feel all melancholic too! :( ..... but they are indeed at the same time enjoyable books to read. I often re-read them!

Offline Tzar-0

Literature
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2005, 06:53:25 pm »
I read Anne Frank's Diary too (for the school) but 6 years ago (I was only 11) so I was touched by it but I think I was a little young...I even think that I understood not everything of this but this post makes me want to read it again.

I read a book which is called in french "Le meilleur des mondes" and in english "Brave New World"  by Aldous Huxley (it is not the translation)..it is very knowed.... I will summarize by saying: it is S-F and it shows how will the capitalism be in an extreme way...don't know how explain...the story happens in a totalitary state which control all the world (or a great part). And Everyone there, have some kind of god : Ford. I don't know why I did like this book I mean I'm not especially sociallist or communist  but as everybody I don't like capitalism too LOL.

I like to read DUNE from Franck Herbert, there are plenty of book to read for Dune , it S-F too and I haven't finished to read all the books, I'm only reading the 4th . But it is a very distracting story I even prefere it to the LOrd of the rings which anyway I never finished.

Offline Carlios

• http://
Literature
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 04:44:01 am »
I'm also reading Dune, but the second book, I still have to complete the saga, since I only have 3 books... :rolleyes:

I've never read Anne Frank's diary, I just don't seem to find it in bookstores, which seems really strange...

One of the books I like the most is called "Aztec", by Gary Jennings, it tells the life of an aztec kid, as he becomes a succesful merchant, a soldier, and as he asumes a very important role in the conquer of the Aztec empire... this has been by far the longest book I've read... 1050 pages + - and it just took me 5 days...

Que la Ancylotoma duodenale te Acompañe / May the Ancylostoma duodenale be with You[/b][/u][/size][/font]

Offline Elizabeth

• The Elf
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Ahava le haim!
    • http://spaces.msn.com/members/narwen0/
Literature
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 04:33:11 pm »
I've read Anne Frank's diary like a trillion times, and liked it even more.

At the moment, I'm reading "La hija del Canibal" (which means "The daughter of the Cannibal"), written by Rosa Montero, a Spanish journalist.
It's pretty good, and has some very interesting points.

P.S. I wanted to open a topic about books long ago, but sure enough Luth has done this before me :D

Thanks Tequila!

I don't trust astrology, because I'm a Gemini and Geminis don't trust astrology. Raymond Smullyan.