Author Topic: Recent Movies seen! :alien:  (Read 148071 times)

Offline Penny lane

• The Eternal Sophia
    • myspace
Re: Recent Movies seen! :alien:
« Reply #260 on: January 02, 2011, 04:53:38 pm »
Shrek Forever after
i was feeling pretty low when i saw it but by the end of the movie i was smiling and happy!! plus 'puss in boots' is SUPER adorable in the alternate dimension!!!! :hop:

Offline Gevurah

« Reply #261 on: January 11, 2011, 10:20:26 am »
Agora
great movie with good actors. I usually hate seeing famous actors in good movies where you should pay attention to the story in stead of them  :shifty: but Rachel Weiss did ok not to add too much of her personality to the character. They did twisted things in the end but sticking to the real story would have probably made a horror movie out of it.
...Sail on the sea, come to me
Through the night
Pass through the gate
And steer your course
Until you reach the gods...

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #262 on: January 12, 2011, 06:00:48 pm »
I had a blockbuster holydays this x-mas and watched Harry Potter 7-I and Social Network.
The first one is fine. Lots of action, nice visual effects and much a more "mature" film than the previous ones. It won't change my life, but it was OK for a day with nothing else to do.
The second one was a lot better than I was expecting. The story is pure deja-vu: an issue of money and suing around a good idea that gives a lot of money. However, the really strong points of the film are the performance of Jesse Eisenberg (playing the main character) and the way the story is told. It catches your attention even if your are not interested in Facebook and all the bullshit around it (like me). It didn't change my life either (thank Notessomes!) but I had a good time watching it, which is pretty cool given than I was dragged in by force after making my g.f. watch Harry Potter the day before :nosweat: .
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
« Reply #263 on: April 21, 2011, 08:52:22 pm »
Just seen Rio. What a CUTE movie! :wub: I like a lot these 3D-animation films on lovely furry or feathered pets. :blush:

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #264 on: April 21, 2011, 10:56:28 pm »
Hey folks,

I've watched "Knowing" with Nicholas Cage recently. Mmmhhhh... annoying soundtrack, annoying characters (Cage is being such an idiot, the way he treats his parents, sister and even his son), annoyingly fast solution. I mean, that "scientist" which Cage is playing sees the list of numbers and immediately has the right idea for their interpretation. There's not a single wrong attempt, not a single dead-end-approach. But the atmosphere of the movie is nicely gloomy and it has a nicely done "end of the world through fire" sequence towards the end (followed by an annoyingly kitschy vision of an alien paradise).

Oh, and I've watched "Inception". Yeah, it's fun and it even seems that they did some research on dreams. A dream-like atmosphere, even though the settings are much too stable for dreams. But then again you can't make a movie of a dream without driving the audience insane, can you? Well done, enough suspense (mainly in the story of Leo & his wife) - but somehow it lacks that final little bit to make me go "whoa!"

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
« Reply #265 on: July 10, 2011, 12:46:30 am »
Recently watched a handful of movies.

Jennifer's Body - Movie was total garbage; Megan Fox can't act, all the appeal in the movie is the eye candy that she provides. It's a cheap horror movie that fails to get you scared.

Idiocracy - A brilliant satire by Mike Judge (creator of Beavis and Butt-head) of where we're headed with the current trends in society and culture. I highly suggest it.

Brighton Rock - Sophisticated for the viewer used to American cinema, but good nevertheless. A good BBC crime drama about the downfall of a young up-and-starting gangster.

Henry's Crime - Enjoyable. I liked the fact that Chekhov's The Cherry Orchard is often referenced, cited and even performed as a part of the film.

Super 8 - Not a bad movie, but overall... The plot wasn't precisely what I unexpected... And the title remains a mystery, unless it refers to 8mm film.
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #266 on: July 10, 2011, 10:26:20 am »
I already heard about Idiocracy... few years ago. I think I have downloaded it somewhere...
But then again, who does.

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #267 on: February 03, 2012, 06:40:32 pm »
Lately we watched all Star Trek movies (I think except the last one)...

From TV series we are watching Castle, The Big Bang Theory (really worth it if You know the usual nerd whereabouts) - it's easy funny show and I enjoy that.

Yesterday I started watching show Once Upon A Time and now I am watching the last episode - I mean one which is out last... on 12th February there's coming new episode. It's really strange show. Half happening in "real" life and half in the fairytale land. In some moments it's really naive (fairytalish :D ) and digital tricks are sometimes pretty poor but there are two really nice women in the show as main characters and I sorta started to like the show.

Also I plan to start watching "Weeds" and "Breaking Bad" another TV shows. Both are supposed to be good so far.

And I forgot - I also lately checked second Space Odyssey. Great stuff :-) I have to read the book and finally finish all of the books actually.

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #268 on: July 22, 2012, 10:51:13 pm »
Iron Sky

It is from the Star Wreck creators and it is awesome. You can't expect typical American movie, of course. It is typical crazy Finnish. It is about Nazis from The Dark Side of the Moon...

I wanted to ask then - Markus, is this movie in cinemas/TV in Germany? Cause this piece is pretty much politically incorrect (still can't believe that North Korea  did not claim nuclear war against Finland). I think that Germany is dealing well with its past so I believe it is shown in cinemas in Germany but my friend believes otherwise... Can You please tell me?
I believe that the only reason why it should not be in cinemas in Germany is the fact that it is not  American "mega-awesome-movie" type.

Offline Agnes

• Metal Princess
  • Loyal Member
« Reply #269 on: July 23, 2012, 07:51:39 am »
@Penny Lane - absolutely!! :)

I am watching almost every evening That 70's Show series :)

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #270 on: July 23, 2012, 09:08:32 am »
Dear Kris,

I've read about this movie being shown in German cinemas, so I guess it's shown here. Why shouldn't it? Only promoting ultra right-wing or even NS ideas is forbidden here. Whether it's my kind of humour is a different question...

For instance, there was a movie named "Mein Führer" with Helge Schneider, a famous German nonsense-comedian as Hitler. That one sparked discussion, but in my opinion it was a rather intelligent movie.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #271 on: August 01, 2012, 08:12:24 am »
http://vimeo.com/14221747  A short movie I wanted to share and did not in which topic to place... "A life cycle of plastic bag" - voice by Jeremy Irons. A great way how to show something.

About the Iron Sky movie... Well, it is humorous but I do not think that overall it is making fun of what happend. I think they used it as a bridge for few points which I am not sure everybody will get. Depends on the viewer, of course, as well as with any other movie :)

Hm, I haven't heard about that movie so far. I might check it out :)

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #272 on: March 27, 2013, 11:37:31 pm »
"Fuck Dagon!"  :mad3: -

"Yes! :wOOt: And the child will be immortal! :bow:"

:lol3:

:cht: Highly recommended to anyone who's ever read any Lovecraft, or has ever been to or knows someone from Catalonia. :cht:

(If that applies to any of you, I'll let you know which movie I saw. :ninja:)
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
« Reply #273 on: March 28, 2013, 04:26:56 am »
Well, I happen to have read Lovecraft and been in Catalonia once.
So cut to the chase Markus, which movie was it? :biggrin:
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
« Reply #274 on: March 28, 2013, 07:45:49 am »
And I happen to have read one or two Lovecraft short stories, talked about him in a little course about Fantasy, and have been born and still be linving in Catalonia. AND I HAVE LITTLE KNITTED CTHULHY WITH ME ON MY BEDSIDE TABLE!!!  :cht2:
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #275 on: March 28, 2013, 11:11:22 am »
 -_-

All the fish in the sea are listening, Highest Priest.

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #276 on: March 28, 2013, 11:40:54 am »
And they are listening to...

DAGON

This is an adaption of "The Shadow over Innsmouth" from 2001 by a director named Stuart Gordon. The movie is supported by some Catalan culture / movie institute and it relocates the story to a Spanish coast town named "Imboca" (Imboca? Get it? :lol3:).

Yeah, it's more of a B-movie. Most of the deep ones are too zombie-like for my taste, having them acting like normally intelligent people would create a deeper horror. And they don't take much time to create suspense, the horror begins rather quickly. But it's well done and worth seeing! It doesn't retell the story but you'll find all the essential elements - which I like a lot better than a mere retelling. When watching it, look out for insider-jokes like the sweater the hero is wearing. :lol3:

The above is dialogue takes place when the creepy priestess of Dagon explains to the hero why his girlfriend should be, well, taken by Dagon in a sacrifice ceremony. He's not quite convinced yet and bursts out: "Fuck Dagon!", to which she replies with bright eyes: "Yes! And the child will be immortal" - so happy that he finally understood her. :wacko: :lol3:

Ia! Ia! Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #277 on: May 25, 2013, 08:46:01 pm »
Yesterday I went to the cinema to see this movie: LORE

I have to say that I did not expect it to be that good and so ... authentic? Nothing is really nice there, it is a movie without embellishments.
I appreciate a lot that someone made a film that shows it from the other side. I am quite sure that there were some documents, maybe books made about the way how it was with the children of the officers after the WWII.

Quite a strong movie.

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #278 on: May 25, 2013, 09:56:00 pm »
Thank you for this tip, Kris!

The reviews at the page you linked to are going in the same direction, calling it a movie that keeps your mind busy for a long time. I'll see if I can get my hands on it!

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #279 on: May 25, 2013, 10:17:26 pm »
I think it is surely worth seeing. Here it is shown only in the "independent" cinemas of course.

It is raw and quite psychological - you can see the development in the main character - Lore. How she's fighting the fact that she has to trust a Jew and that she depends on him in a way. It's just so unusual to see this point of view so as I never read anything or saw about this point of view, I appreciate it a lot.