Author Topic: Recent Movies seen! :alien:  (Read 146983 times)

Offline lavaniegosII

• The Composer
  • Loyal Member
  • Fly free bird
    • www.myspace.com/ainset
Re: Recent Movies seen! :alien:
« Reply #240 on: November 14, 2010, 10:13:28 pm »
I saw the friday the movie Paranormal Activity 2. I don´t go frecuently to the cinema, so I did not read the preview and synopsis of the movie. I have to say I hate the fucking dolby sound system, it makes my ears almost bleed, too much noise for me, and you know in thriller-horror-suspense movies the sounds are the fear factor, so I was very stressed during all the movie haha. I did not like it at all, too sissy for me. I´m waiting for Harry Potter 7 instead ;D
6 6 6

Offline Mystique

• Butterfly Faerie
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Madness takes its toll.
« Reply #241 on: November 20, 2010, 03:33:16 pm »
Watched Tim Burton's Ed Wood. Again. What a great movie.
I realized I've already written about that movie here, so I'm not gonna do it again, instead, I'll quote myself just to repeat the awesomeness of the movie and Ed Wood himself.  :biggrin:

It's a story of the worst movie director of all times (or so he was proclaimed). I liked the movie so much; it left such a big impression on me. Ed Wood seems to have been a great person, he had such a great passion, but he reminded me of what Oscar Wilde said about true poets. He said that true poets were bad artists, because they lived the poetry which they didn't know how to write down, while good artists were bad poets, because they wrote poetry which they didn't know to live.
I think he was one of those. Good poet, so to say.
I must say that this is one of the better movies I've seen. Might as well be my favorite.
I'd recommend this movie to all of you who still haven't seen it (just for the record, the movie is black and white...which kind of contributes to the atmosphere...makes it better).
Ah, what an inspiring movie.

Well, in the meanwhile I've seen some of his movies (Glen or Glenda, Plan 9 from Outer Space), and yes they're terrible, but it's the love for his work that makes those movies precious.
For a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down!

Offline Nighthawk

• Life on Mars?
    • Lust.fm
« Reply #242 on: November 20, 2010, 10:28:10 pm »
Ed Wood

Editor: You forgot the octopus.
Ed: No, no, I'm saving that for my big underwater climax!

Every time I see that movie I get the urge to film something. Anything.

Well, in the meanwhile I've seen some of his movies (Glen or Glenda, Plan 9 from Outer Space), and yes they're terrible, but it's the love for his work that makes those movies precious.
Also the rubber gravestones, blatant disregard for day/night transitions, catastrophic acting slip-ups... :D

Hm, the more I think about it, the more it seems mr. Wood influenced me more than I'd care to admit

Today I finally saw "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World"

From the guy that brought us "Hot Fuzz" and "Shaun of the Dead" (also wonderful movies) comes this adaptation of a surreal coming-of-age romantic musical beatemup graphic novel. Beautiful stuff.

It's shiny, fluffy and bizzare. Just the way I like 'em

If anyone's interested, you can find the trailer here.
Can't stop the signal.

Offline Mystique

• Butterfly Faerie
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Madness takes its toll.
« Reply #243 on: November 20, 2010, 10:40:12 pm »
Also the rubber gravestones, blatant disregard for day/night transitions, catastrophic acting slip-ups... :D
You watched those movies? :roll: Epic.

Hm, the more I think about it, the more it seems mr. Wood influenced me more than I'd care to admit
If anyone important asks you who influenced you, do not say Mr. Wood :lol3:

Today I finally saw "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World"
Watched it too, a couple of days ago. Good movie :D I don't watch comedies that often, but this one was good.
For a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down!

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
« Reply #244 on: November 21, 2010, 11:58:19 pm »
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I

I've already read all the books ( :blush: ), and for now, I can say it's the movie I like more. I suppose it has something to do the fact that one book has been explained in two long movies, so less things are left out of the film. Besides that, I think it's a good movie with a lot of emotion and good visual effects. To see only if you already have seen the previous six (or read the books).

A strange thing happens: I have read the books in English, and the movies are dubbed so Spanish. So, some names I knew by their original English name, now sound weird to me because they are in Spanish  :fish:

:evil2:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 12:00:05 am by Luth »
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #245 on: November 23, 2010, 02:28:10 am »
Apparently I'll have to watch this, too...

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #246 on: November 23, 2010, 10:07:48 am »
Nighthawk: My bf saw the Scott Pilgrim and he says it's awesome! I didn't much like the trailer - I mean ... it wasn't any interesting to me but he says I really will like it so I think I will back off and try to watch it - when so many people say it's so awesome!
But then again, who does.

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #247 on: November 23, 2010, 11:49:30 am »
Hey folks,

Luth, I had the same effect, btw - read the Potter-books in English and had to deal with the translations when I watched the movies. :lol3:

BTW, I'll borrow "Inception" on DVD when it appears in December. Didn't make it to the cinema, so I've put it on the list of my DVD-subscription.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
« Reply #248 on: November 23, 2010, 12:02:35 pm »
I'll borrow "Inception" on DVD when it appears in December.

Finally! :wOOt:

Offline Nighthawk

• Life on Mars?
    • Lust.fm
« Reply #249 on: November 23, 2010, 01:26:20 pm »
Nighthawk: My bf saw the Scott Pilgrim and he says it's awesome! I didn't much like the trailer - I mean ... it wasn't any interesting to me but he says I really will like it so I think I will back off and try to watch it - when so many people say it's so awesome!
Oh, it's awesome. Watch :)

BTW, I'll borrow "Inception" on DVD when it appears in December. Didn't make it to the cinema, so I've put it on the list of my DVD-subscription.
Good call. "Inception" was immensely enjoyable. An action movie I can get behind.

Well, a director I can get behind.

Speaking of directors I can get behind non-sexually, but just barely, I'm looking for any and/or all of the movies Ephraim Kishon made. Love that man. When I found out he was also a director, I hastened to the Internets in hope to find where I could get a hold of his work. Alas, twas not to be. The Internets are all out of Kishon. Does anyone have any ideas where I might find these movies?

Does anyone know a filmophile in Israel? ;D
Can't stop the signal.

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
« Reply #250 on: November 23, 2010, 01:34:00 pm »
What is this Israel you speak of?
In these parts of the World, we call it Occupied Palestine! :ninja:

*Silently hopes the Kuwaiti government doesn't censor this thread for Nighthawk's blatant display of Zionism*
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #251 on: November 23, 2010, 01:42:48 pm »
filmophile?

Offline Nighthawk

• Life on Mars?
    • Lust.fm
« Reply #252 on: November 23, 2010, 02:12:25 pm »
What is this Israel you speak of?
In these parts of the World, we call it Occupied Palestine! :ninja:
You can call it what you will, as long as you know what I'm talkin' 'bout :ninja:

*Silently hopes the Kuwaiti government doesn't censor this thread for Nighthawk's blatant display of Zionism*
In the hopes that the censorship doesn't sail, I await patiently :P

filmophile?
A person who loves movies :)
Can't stop the signal.

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #253 on: November 23, 2010, 02:18:43 pm »
Well, Israeli movies are hard to get on the web for me... but they are usually nice as I heard. :)

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #254 on: November 23, 2010, 02:29:15 pm »
No idea which movies Kishon directed, but I love him as well! Even had the luck to see him at a reading session several (well, many) years ago.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Nighthawk

• Life on Mars?
    • Lust.fm
« Reply #255 on: November 23, 2010, 02:33:49 pm »
Well, Israeli movies are hard to get on the web for me... but they are usually nice as I heard. :)
Haven't seen any myself, but from the clips I've seen and from what I've read, Kishon's movies are like his books - critiques and satires, so I expect nothing short of awesomeness :)

No idea which movies Kishon directed, but I love him as well! Even had the luck to see him at a reading session several (well, many) years ago.
Uuu, awesome! :thumbup:

According to Wikipedia, Kishon directed 5 movies:
"Sallah Shabati" (1964), "Ervinka" (1967), "Blaumilch Canal "(1969), "Ha-Shoter Azoulay", also known as "The Policeman" (1971), and "The Fox in the Chicken Coop" (1978).

Even got an Oscar nomination for "The Policeman".

As I understand it, the best chance I've got at finding his movies lies in the German localized versions (like "Blaumilch Canal", which isn't the original name). Which if fine, but I'd rather watch them in the original Klingon.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 02:36:03 pm by Nighthawk »
Can't stop the signal.

Offline Lasse

• Loyal Cell Spammer
  • Loyal Member
    • ze last.fm
« Reply #256 on: December 05, 2010, 04:18:26 am »
Okay, so on this Thursday I had the most traumatic cinematric experience ever. In my life. I'm totally serious. It was so bad that I'll have to warn all of you: do not even consider seeing this crap!

So, I got an invitation from a friend for a free screening of some Portuguese speaking movie (I didn't even know if it was Brazilian or Portuguese) that was organised by the LGBT branch of Amnesty International at the Central European University. "Sounds lovely" - I thought, some independent gay themed movie, such films I have seen so far have been pretty good with either being funny or thought-provoking, so why not. I even wanted to invite Lucy cause she lives next door, but that didn't happen at the end. Lucy, you can be thankful for that. :lol3:

The title was Do Começo ao Fim, meaning "From Beginning to End", and it turned out be a Portuguese movie about incest between half brothers. Yeah, you've read it right. The worst thing however was not this pretty wild theme, but the fact that it lacked everything that could have made it more than just a WTF experience. It was completely superficial and sentimental, lacked a regular plot, actors, sensible dialogues and drowned itself into slow-motion scenes about impossibly happy, rich, beautiful, fit, tanned, and completely fake people running around on Brazilian beaches in speedos or bikinis (annoying wannabe-artsy cheesy string music attached)... The whole thing was so dumb that I'm really having a hard time explaining it, there was no drama, no reality, no conflict, just plain dumbness that completely got sickening, especially at the scene where the two brothers started making out on the day of their mother's funeral. What the hell, "Mummy's dead, but we're still so full of love, let's have sleazy gay sex?", I mean WHAT THE SERIOUSLY CONFUSED F**K?! The movie did nothing, just idealized this twisted relationship and wanted to convince you in these very cheap ways - hey, the whole family is accepting it, and come on look how hot they are, it surely can't be bad, we're even gonna include some nude scenes!

I might be wrong, but what they would have needed was a psychologyst because such things (like you fall in love with your own brother whom you've been growing up with) do not happen without some serious traumas.

But even if we accept this politically correct message that there was nothing wrong in their life and they lived happily ever after without any harm to anyone (yeah, right)... it still was the biggest waste of time in my life.
Kék hajnal kihasad, feltör, kék ingem kiszabom az égből, kék ingem lobogó, s nézd csak - kék erdőn korona a harmat.

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
« Reply #257 on: December 05, 2010, 07:46:27 pm »
I'm sorry to hear that you saw such a disappointing movie. :( I hope that people who watch it won't interpret it as another reason why to hate gay people.

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #258 on: December 20, 2010, 03:31:20 pm »
Joulutarina (Eng title Christmas Story)

- it's Finnish movie - as the English title says about the Christmas origin - of course, it's a fantasy but it's wonderful. And I love it. It was just now on the tv...  :wub:
It's my new favourite Christmas fairytale after... since I was born? :D Before it was one Czech fairytale about Cinderella. :)

I love it! :) I would love to live in that movie!

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
« Reply #259 on: December 20, 2010, 06:06:38 pm »
I recently watched Lawrence of Arabia.
Good movie despite the obvious dumbing down of most of the Arabs. :ninja:
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci