Author Topic: Now reading...  (Read 244692 times)

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
Re: Now reading...
« Reply #380 on: August 07, 2010, 11:01:16 am »
Yup. I don't value a book for how happy it makes me, but for how it moves me, in one way or another. Of course, before reading the book I already knew some of the plot, or at least what it was about... But this didn't prepared me for its end. I was (and am) thinking about it a lot afterwards the finish of the reading, and that's a good thing.

Btw... I don't know if any of you watched a good sci-fi series called "Babylon 5". I have watched all its 5 seasons for second time (the first one I watched it when showed in the TV, several years ago, and now I've watched it in a row, from Internet). Just when finishing it I re-read "The Lord of the Rings", and I realized how many relations were between both fictions (of course, not by chance). But the next reading has been "1984", and I've seen several very direct relations too! (one of them, the "Minipax" thingy, and other very important facts).

I like to discover the influences between fictions I like (be it a book, a movie, a TV series...).

PS. And, of course, I'd like to torture and kill the first person who had the fantastic idea to create an awful reality show related with the book... "Big Brother"... How they have corrupted the book... GRRRRRR!!!!  :ninja: :ninja: :ninja:
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #381 on: August 26, 2010, 08:19:16 pm »
fter Niemi's book I got from the library a book I have been interested in since my early childhood
 - Otfried Preussler's "The Satanic Mill/The Curse of the Darkling Mill (originally: Krabat)" (In Czech it's The Sorceror's Apprentice - and I like this name best!)

And all I have to say that it's great stuff. I read some horror/thriller books but this "fairytale for adults" sometimes scared me more than the others.

And actually it has great backround too cause it comes from a legend of Lusatian Serbs. Very interesting!!!

And Czechs even made a children movie on it :o :o

Read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Satanic_Mill
But then again, who does.

Offline Mystique

• Butterfly Faerie
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Madness takes its toll.
« Reply #382 on: September 04, 2010, 02:15:16 pm »
Some old Croatian renaissance literature. Not too bad, better than the medieval literature I was struggling with the whole first semester  :lol:
For a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down!

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #383 on: September 14, 2010, 08:52:51 pm »
I am now reading a book "Sidra Noach" from Czech Jewish author David Jan Novotný. It's a new book (out now) and it seems quite good to me so far.
It's connected with the floods which happend in Czech Rep. in 2002 (it was so called: thousand-year water). And this line connects a bunch of people and we watch their thoughts, lives...

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #384 on: September 22, 2010, 09:26:39 pm »
Pamuk's Snow: done! Really, really good stuff. TheOne, I think you a gonna like this one too.

Now beginning to read The Double by my all time favourite Fyodor Mikhaylovich ... :unsure: (well.... Dostoyevskiy). So far, I can only say one thing: strange!... very strange.
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Jo Ta Erre

• Loyal Member
« Reply #385 on: September 22, 2010, 10:33:48 pm »
Hi.
I must confess that i never been a great book reader. Even at university, i took the title without reading a whole book...and i studied Politics!
But, as we´re getting older, we must care health, and i started cycling...on a static-bike (i dont know if is correct in english...).

So, in my cycling sessions, sometimes i see something on tv, in others make newspaper´s puzzles...and when i´m bored with them, i read books: Some Tom Sharpe´s, books about inquisition, Crusaders...and now Scandinavian Sagas.

I discovered them last year when we went to Iceland in Easter.

Sagas are tales about ancient Scandinavian or German history. They are based in oral tradition and usually being wrote in the Middle Ages. They mix reality and fiction, and could be written in prose or verse.

I started reading Snorri Sturluson´s "Younger Edda", to learn a bit the world of the nordic myths and their verses, and after that, i´ve read "Bosi´s Saga", the first one i found. i must say that is not easy to find Sagas in spanish, but i found two of them!!!!!

"Bosi´s saga" is about Bosi and his friend´s Herrauðr´s adventures seeking a vulture´s egg inscribed with golden letters. Is a very-very-easy-to-read book; it has no more than 60 pages, and lots of explanations on each page. The particularity of this book is that they are three scenes with explicit sex, something strange on Middle Ages literature.

Now i´m with puzzles again; after that, Eirik the Red´s Saga and the Greenlanders Saga are waiting me.
Me pica la medusaaaaaaaaarrrrrrggg!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #386 on: September 23, 2010, 02:27:09 am »
Hey JR!
Sagas are great! I've only got the chance to read a small compilation of Icelandic sagas, which I bought in Spain btw. The book is called "La saga de Fridthjóf El Valiente y otras sagas islandesas" from Miraguano Ediciones. I got in the Feria del Libro in Madrid and while buying it, I talked to one of the guys from the editorial house. They have small collection of them (about 8 books of real sagas) and apparently, they are going to translate some more (there one or two more books coming, he said). May be you can find more info in their website: www.miraguano-sa.es
Good reading everyone! :thumbup:
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Jo Ta Erre

• Loyal Member
« Reply #387 on: September 23, 2010, 06:34:44 am »
Hey JR!
Sagas are great! I've only got the chance to read a small compilation of Icelandic sagas, which I bought in Spain btw. The book is called "La saga de Fridthjóf El Valiente y otras sagas islandesas" from Miraguano Ediciones. I got in the Feria del Libro in Madrid and while buying it, I talked to one of the guys from the editorial house. They have small collection of them (about 8 books of real sagas) and apparently, they are going to translate some more (there one or two more books coming, he said). May be you can find more info in their website: www.miraguano-sa.es
Good reading everyone! :thumbup:

Hey Aluqak!!

I have several Saga´s references taken from here:

http://islandia.foroactivo.com/sagas-islandesas-f8/

...but my particular bookseller does not get me any...the two i´ve got were bought in a bookshop in the capital ... I hope to have luck with the rest. For now I have no hurry.

Cheers!  :drunk:

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #388 on: September 23, 2010, 07:33:02 am »
Hey JR :)

Indeed, sagas are wonderful. :) How do You like Havamal and Voluspa?

The Greenlanders saga is nice... We have some nice books about that - but as I checked out they are not from English - but the books originate in here (like the collection of northern ballads - they are pretty fantastic) - unfortunatelly I don't know that the collection would be translated to English :( or any other language.

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
« Reply #389 on: September 25, 2010, 07:58:32 pm »
I've just readen Solaris, from Stanislav Lem. A classic I had to read... And pretty good. I know why it's a classic now  :cht:
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline lavaniegosII

• The Composer
  • Loyal Member
  • Fly free bird
    • www.myspace.com/ainset
« Reply #390 on: October 03, 2010, 11:25:13 pm »
Hey JR :)

Indeed, sagas are wonderful. :) How do You like Havamal and Voluspa?

The Greenlanders saga is nice... We have some nice books about that - but as I checked out they are not from English - but the books originate in here (like the collection of northern ballads - they are pretty fantastic) - unfortunatelly I don't know that the collection would be translated to English :( or any other language.

I found very interesting both, but specially Havamal.
6 6 6

Offline Mystique

• Butterfly Faerie
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #391 on: October 06, 2010, 06:17:16 pm »
Beowulf for my English class. :D

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #392 on: October 06, 2010, 06:36:14 pm »
Beowulf
:bow: That's what I call fun reading!
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Dead Symphony

« Reply #393 on: October 07, 2010, 04:07:57 pm »
The Odyssey by Homer is an awesome read. Symphony X made a song about it too.

The Towers of the Sunset by L.E. Modesitt, Jr. is one of my favs.

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #394 on: November 07, 2010, 08:59:08 pm »
J. R. R. Tolkien - The Book of Lost Tales, Pt I. :)

Offline Jo Ta Erre

• Loyal Member
« Reply #395 on: November 07, 2010, 11:04:25 pm »
Just finished "Greenlanders Saga", now is Eirik The Red´s time.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 12:56:09 am by Jo Ta Erre »

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #396 on: November 07, 2010, 11:05:48 pm »
So how did You like it Jo Ta? :)

Offline Jo Ta Erre

• Loyal Member
« Reply #397 on: November 07, 2010, 11:17:27 pm »
Oh yeah. Even more than tales, previous explanations are very-very interesting. You know, the context, and all that things that make Sagas more understanding. Sometimes remind me the Bible with all this genealogy !!!

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #398 on: November 07, 2010, 11:31:42 pm »
:lol: Well You are right, that surely reminds me of that too  :nosweat:

Offline Mystique

• Butterfly Faerie
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #399 on: November 09, 2010, 02:55:39 pm »
Pavao Čuturić, some Croatian story from the romantic period. Nothing special, rather boring *yawns*