Author Topic: Now reading...  (Read 244906 times)

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
Re: Now reading...
« Reply #360 on: June 21, 2010, 07:07:49 pm »
Starting tonight: Virginia Woolf - To The Lighthouse. That woman was a genius.

"applause smile" yes, she's genial. Wish I could write the same way like she does... she's my idol. Enjoy the book :)

To Aluqak - Poe is fantastic!  :wOOt:
But then again, who does.

Offline Hatecraft

« Reply #361 on: June 21, 2010, 07:53:04 pm »
Poe is awesome!

But I'm reading something even more awesome:

The Shadow Out of Time, by H. P. Lovecraft.
The satisfaction of a moment is the bane of the next.

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #362 on: June 21, 2010, 10:02:58 pm »
What has kept you off the first time, Alu?
Its weight :biggrin: . I started reading it a year ago in Spain, but due to its weight I decided to pack it with the rest of my stuff while moving across the Atlantic (I didn't want to break my back in the process). Then, in the meanwhile I started reading other stuff (see my previous posts), and know, almost a year later, I remember that I still had this one to read. So, here I am starting it all over again.. and yep, it is awesome! :bow:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 10:05:33 pm by Aluqak »
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Mystique

• Butterfly Faerie
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Madness takes its toll.
« Reply #363 on: June 21, 2010, 10:40:16 pm »
"applause smile" yes, she's genial. Wish I could write the same way like she does... she's my idol. Enjoy the book :)

Yes, I agree! And of course I'm enjoying the book, I never even doubted :)
Unfortunatelly, I only read her Mrs Dalloway, hopefully I'll read all of her works sometime in the future.
For a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down!

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #364 on: June 22, 2010, 08:48:56 am »
I strongly recommend The Waves :) for first reading, when I was about 15, I absolutely didn't get it and finished it in quarter... but now I can read it million times and still feel same great about it!

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #365 on: June 30, 2010, 11:18:39 am »
I just finished a little tiny book - selection of novels by Faroean writer William Heinesen - called Gamaliel's obsession.

It's so great. :) He's great. Anytime I read his novels I want to live on Faroe Islands. I absolutely adore the way he writes.

Now I can choose amongst another Heinesen or Icelandich Siguradóttir or Icelandic Laxness or someone from Finland.

I read some Israeli/Jewish litrature and still - I have to say that the northern literature tells me much much more.

Offline lavaniegosII

• The Composer
  • Loyal Member
  • Fly free bird
    • www.myspace.com/ainset
« Reply #366 on: June 30, 2010, 06:20:44 pm »
I´m reading an occult nobel of Franz Berdon called ¨Frabato the magician¨. It is an interesting novel about some secret moves in the early esoteric Nazi era in Germany. Here is a wiki resume:

¨Though cast in the form of a novel, Frabato the Magician is in fact the spiritual autobiography of Franz Bardon. Frabato was the author's stage name during his career as a performing magician, and it is Frabato who occupies center stage in the novel as well. Set in Dresden, Germany, in the early 1930s, the story chronicles Frabato's magical battles with the members of a powerful and dangerous black lodge, his escape from Germany during the final desperate days of the Weimar Republic, and the beginning of the spiritual mission which was to culminate in Bardon writing his classic books on Hermetic magic. More than a novel, Frabato the Magician is itself a work of magic which gives insight into Bardon's other books as well as revealing the dark occult forces which lay behind the rise of the Third Reich¨

Here is the link where you can download the book:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/301829/Frabato-The-Magician-
6 6 6

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #367 on: July 31, 2010, 01:08:51 pm »
"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" by Stieg Larsson. I ate it in 2 days.

Now I am reading second part: "The Girl Who Played with Fire".

There was written on the cover by someone that it's like drug. And he was right. I hesitated really long until I decided to start to read this "bestseller". I would like to say that it's fantastic and it is but in some ways it shows so much about the problem which news, papers, parliaments, police and whole society keeps quiet. Everyone knows this is happening in every second but simple people (I mean not in police, normal fair people like or you..) use to push out of their mind cause it's not nice to think of these and important people do not wish to solve that cause they are the consumers of this "industry" also. Seldom, they talk about it with disgust meanwhile they are doing the same. But rather they shut up not to make this problem too visible.

I got a very deep relationship to the one of the main characters - called Lisbeth Salander. I had never seen such an accurate describtion of my personality anywhere else. I am her and she's me. Sounds strange but if You read that... and know my past - You would understand.

I would not recommend this book to people with sensitive stomach. Cause it talks very openly about
physical torture on women
sexual abuse and torture on women
black (protitute) sex industry
men who hate women

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #368 on: August 01, 2010, 03:35:15 pm »
I forgot to tell why I like this books so much - the assholes always get punished.

At least somewhere when in reality not.

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #369 on: August 02, 2010, 05:17:27 pm »
Just starting Pamuk's - Snow
So far, so good. I really like how this guy writes, and this particular book has a special taste that brings you to some uncomfortable places: the east-west and religious-atheist dichotomies ... but told from an atheist-Muslim point of view :unsure:
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #370 on: August 02, 2010, 05:49:07 pm »
I'm bit  envious, cause I tried to read Pamuk and his way of writing didn't really fit me much, but maybe it wasn't the right novel in the right time. So I plan to try at least some of his other novels later again. :)

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
« Reply #371 on: August 02, 2010, 10:30:33 pm »
I've only read The White Castle from Pamuk so far.
I hope to get time to read some more from him soon... But with this load of research and summer work I foolishly left for the last month of my holiday... Oh god... :ninja:
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Mystique

• Butterfly Faerie
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Madness takes its toll.
« Reply #372 on: August 04, 2010, 12:28:34 am »
Selected Tales by Edgar Allan Poe. Love it. Love him. Right now, he's my second favourite author. Right after Mrs. Woolf  :biggrin:
For a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down!

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
« Reply #373 on: August 04, 2010, 09:14:22 am »
1984, George Orwell.

For long time I wanted to read it, but didn't until now. I looked for it in the library but it was not there  :blink:. Past week I saw a second-hand and not-so-new books market, and found the book for 4 €, so I decided to buy it.

I've read 1/3 of the book, and I think it's really interesting for now  :ninja:
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
« Reply #374 on: August 04, 2010, 09:33:00 am »
Oh, 1984 is great, but :afaid: Have a nice reading, Luthy!

I'm reading "101 questions your cat would ask its vet - if your cat could talk" by Dr. Bruce Fogle. Fantastic! :lol3: I got it from my mom as a b-day present. I wonder why I got all things connected to cats? :blink: Everyone clearly knows that I'm SLIGHTLY addicted. :biggrin:

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
« Reply #375 on: August 04, 2010, 11:11:08 am »
1984 is an amazing book. I loved it. Finished it in like 3 hardcore reading sessions. :biggrin:
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #376 on: August 04, 2010, 10:57:13 pm »
More than half a book in two hardcore sessions. Perhaps tomorrow or the next I'm able to write about it again  :nana:

PS. Really interesting right now. Sometimes one must read the classics that have influenced so many works (literature, cinema, tv...) to understand them. And HOW BAD an influence may be (thinking in the  :starwars: reality show named "Big Brother"  :ninja: ).
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 10:59:26 pm by Luth »
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #377 on: August 05, 2010, 03:58:59 pm »
Selected Tales by Edgar Allan Poe. Love it. Love him. Right now, he's my second favourite author. Right after Mrs. Woolf  :biggrin:

1984, George Orwell.
You girls are reading really good stuff there :thumbup:
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #378 on: August 06, 2010, 04:31:34 pm »
1984 read. I think I'm going to comitt suicide...

In spite of that, I think it's a really good book. It makes think, pessimist as it may be. And I've been able to track some references to it in other books, movies and TV series.

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #379 on: August 07, 2010, 01:01:09 am »
Yeah, it's terribly depressing. But surely a good description of totalitarian regimes.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.