Author Topic: Now reading...  (Read 251476 times)

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Re: Now reading...
« Reply #320 on: October 25, 2009, 01:05:38 pm »
Frank Schätzing: Limit

Some years ago I've read "Der Schwarm" by this German author, available in English as "The Swarm: A novel of the deep". That one was highly recommendable - very suspenseful and very well researched. The scenario is that the seas start to behave strange - attacks by usually peaceful sea creatures are just the beginning. When I heard that a new Schätzing is available I bought it without hesitation.

"Limit" plays in the year 2025. Space travel has been revolutionised by a new technology, but it's strongly influenced by private enterprise, much more than by state agencies. There is a huge space station in orbit. Moon-dust is exploited for Helium-3 which will ensure a clean, eco-friendly energy supply on Earth. Right now a space hotel is being opened. The novel plays in James-Bond-like high-tech and big-style settings like the space and moon stations, but also in places like Shanghai (which I've recently visited myself). I've only just begun it and read 400 of 1300 pages... Still it's not all too suspenseful, but I guess it's gaining momentum now. And once more it's very well researched - all the physical claims are correct, and Schätzing's vision of the society in 2025 seems realistic to me. He also refers to contemporary events and developments a lot. So it's a very good reading, and I suppose it will become a fantastic reading soon.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #321 on: October 25, 2009, 03:50:26 pm »
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

I'm in first few capitols and it's very nice. I read a review on this book by one of my favourite authors - Neil Gaiman so I decided to try this book and for now I am satisfied.
It's big long book with nice characters and it's mysterious! :)
Oh and there genre is fantasy :)
But then again, who does.

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #322 on: November 09, 2009, 05:30:30 pm »
"The white castle" by Orhan Pamuk.
Finally could find, this one! Strange, puzzling and very well writen. Typical Pamuk stuff. :thumbup:
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Loke

• Twisted Bard
  • let the twisted pipes blow
    • me
« Reply #323 on: December 02, 2009, 04:24:42 am »

I bought in Belgium "The secret Supper" By Javier Sierra...

mmm just too Davinci Codish so far :( disappointing

yo y yo
Scripta Manet

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
« Reply #324 on: December 15, 2009, 09:21:24 pm »
Ok, for classes over the past semester I've read "Antigone" by Sophocles, "A Doll's House" by Henrik Ibsen, "The Three Sisters" by Anton Chekhov (my favorite out of these, so far) and "The Awakening" by Kate Chopin. Overall, not so bad.
And I just finished reading "The White Castle" by Orhan Pamuk. The lead guitarist of my band just told me I had to read it. I agree now. And I agree with Aluqak. This is one of those books you have to read! :thumbup:
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #325 on: December 17, 2009, 03:25:12 pm »
Hi folks,

I've ordered "The White Castle" yesterday. The reviews on amazon.de were not so encouraging, but after your enthusiastic reactions I decided to give it a try. I'll tell you how I like it, of course.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Mystique

• Butterfly Faerie
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Madness takes its toll.
« Reply #326 on: February 05, 2010, 11:51:00 am »
Croatian renaissance literature  :unsure:
For a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down!

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #327 on: February 05, 2010, 12:29:55 pm »
"Things Fall Apart" by Chinua Achebe :thumbup:
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #328 on: February 05, 2010, 08:34:43 pm »
"Malinche" by Laura Esquivel
A historic novel about Cortes' Aztec lover and her roll in the fall of the Aztec empire. A little bit naive, quiet straight to point, and very well written. Typical Esquivel stuff. If you've liked her other books, you are gonna enjoy this one too.
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
« Reply #329 on: February 07, 2010, 01:59:39 pm »
A historic novel about Cortes' Aztec lover and her roll in the fall of the Aztec empire. A little bit naive, quiet straight to point, and very well written. Typical Esquivel stuff. If you've liked her other books, you are gonna enjoy this one too.

I read it not long ago... Not a bad book, but I felt it was less than I thought. Even so, I enjoyed it!
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline lavaniegosII

• The Composer
  • Loyal Member
  • Fly free bird
    • www.myspace.com/ainset
« Reply #330 on: February 17, 2010, 06:15:04 pm »

I´ve only read one book of her and didn´t like it. The book is called ¨ La ley del amor (The love law)¨
6 6 6

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #331 on: February 21, 2010, 09:52:59 pm »
I began reading "Cry, the Beloved Country" by Alan Paton for school.
Man, this book is depressing. And I hate the way the dialogue is written. ¬¬

Offline Lady Sa'iltu

• Do What Thou Wilt...
« Reply #332 on: February 26, 2010, 10:22:09 pm »
What is it about?

I have to read "The Econometrics" and am already going to cry. It's so damn boring and badly written so that it's hard-understandable.
"Die gewöhnlichsten Irrschlüsse der Menschen sind diese: eine Sache existiert, also hat sie ein Recht." (F. Nietzsche)

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #333 on: March 01, 2010, 01:52:07 pm »
What is it about?
Apartheid in South Africa. It's growing on me as I keep reading it. The hate turned into a mild disgust. It's an issue with the way dialogue is written. I'm such an elitist. :lol3:

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #334 on: March 05, 2010, 11:39:02 am »
Douglas Preston: Credo (originally: Blasphemy)

A new particle accelerator is launched. Just before it reaches full output, the main screen turns black, and a greeting appears instead of visualised data from particle collisions. The mysterious speaker claims to be God who wants to give mankind a new message...

After an enthralling prologue the book turns a bit slow as characters and plots are established, but soon it gains momentum and becomes very suspenseful. There are some terribly cruel scenes towards the end, but most of all it becomes a book about the nature and role of religions - and religious fundamentalism in the USA. I'm not sure if the ending is happy or not, i.e. it gives e something to think about - which is a clear sign for a good book. Recommend!  :thumbup:
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline saphira

• Queen of dragons
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Nothing is trivial...
« Reply #335 on: March 08, 2010, 08:30:29 pm »
Signs and symbols, an ilustrated guide to their origins and meanings, Miranda Bruce-Mitford and Philip Wilkinson(and many more)

Got this book today from my bf as a gift for our first 3 months together and Women's Day.. a great gift, I'm glad I received it!  :)
It can't rain all the time so put a smile on your face and proudly take another step.

The time of dragons will come again...
THERION - Till the day I die!

Offline lavaniegosII

• The Composer
  • Loyal Member
  • Fly free bird
    • www.myspace.com/ainset
« Reply #336 on: March 13, 2010, 06:57:38 pm »
I have realized i´ve been reading the ¨fire from within¨ of Castaneda for a year now hahahaha. I need to finish that book.
6 6 6

Offline Lady Sa'iltu

• Do What Thou Wilt...
« Reply #337 on: March 13, 2010, 10:35:02 pm »
Because of my useless studies I feel I'll be reading 148 pages of The Book of Lies by Crowley for more than a year  :biggrin: :fireevil:.
"Die gewöhnlichsten Irrschlüsse der Menschen sind diese: eine Sache existiert, also hat sie ein Recht." (F. Nietzsche)

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #338 on: April 03, 2010, 05:25:35 pm »
I'm reading now Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters.
But then again, who does.

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #339 on: April 05, 2010, 04:25:02 pm »
Currently reading "La Pelle" (The Skin) by Curzio Malaparte. A very raw picture of the European society and morality, as opposed to the American "values". Everything portrayed during the "liberation" at the end of World War II.
So far, I've had many good laughs and an everlasting sense of uncomfortable certainty. Jeezz, this guy really knows how to put things in its place ... with the delicacy of an Uruguayan central defender, of course. :wacko:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 07:44:27 pm by Aluqak »
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?