Author Topic: Now reading...  (Read 253925 times)

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Re: Now reading...
« Reply #300 on: August 19, 2009, 09:13:57 am »
Greg Bear: City at the End of the Time

This is a science-ficition-novel about parallel worlds a possible death of the universe. It plays in two times: "Ten Nulls", our current age, and "Fourteen Nulls", a remote future when the universe is 10.000 as old as now. In "Fourteen Nulls" the final fortress of civilization is threatened by the "chaos of Typhon" - a violently spreading zone where dimensions and natural laws are changing all the tiime, leading to incomprehensible and horrible destruction. But some force is invading their past, our presence, and about to destroy our world - or the worlds at our age of the universe - as well.

I like the book. The reading could be easier with a better structure of the sentences, but luckily there aren't all too many different persons playing as in many SF- or fantasy-novels. The mood is often gloomy, but that's alright with me. The story is suspenseful and enigmatic, and the descriptions are really fantastic. The author dares to let the "big bad thing" really happen and tries to describe the undescribable, which I always like a lot. I hate those novels where some incredible, huge change is hinted at, but the heroes manage to prevent it just in time so that everything stays the way we are used to. If you're into epic stories and imaginative SF I can really recommend this one!

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline lavaniegosII

• The Composer
  • Loyal Member
  • Fly free bird
    • www.myspace.com/ainset
« Reply #301 on: August 19, 2009, 01:54:56 pm »
Now I´m reading The Mahabarata. This is the veda book of Indian mithology tradition. Very beautiful version made from a french called Jean Claudie Carriere.
Also I finally got the last book of  Carlos Castaneda to complete the saga : ¨The Fire from Within or Internal Fire¨.
6 6 6

Offline saphira

• Queen of dragons
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Nothing is trivial...
« Reply #302 on: August 20, 2009, 08:23:17 am »
Nick Drake> Nefertiti, the book of dead
It can't rain all the time so put a smile on your face and proudly take another step.

The time of dragons will come again...
THERION - Till the day I die!

Offline Mystique

• Butterfly Faerie
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Madness takes its toll.
« Reply #303 on: August 23, 2009, 12:05:22 pm »
A series by Croatian author Marija Jurić Zagorka called Grička vještica. It has seven books, and right now I'm on the third. It's simply awesome, I don't know why I didn't start reading them earlier, and I had the series at home like all my life. The books are my mom's :D .

It's about witch persecution in Croatia (to be more specific, in Zagreb and surrounding area), but the story is mostly revolved around one main love story, and few others :D . But it's very well written, and it's on historical basis, which means you can learn a bunch about that time and history of Zagreb...plus it's very well written and very readable and...well I just love that kind of books...

I also started reading Night World by L.J. Smith yesterday, brought to me by my cousin from Canada...yeah, can't say I'm very impressed...after reading what I mentioned above this seems too childish and too easy and...not challenging enough...so I quit after 50 pgs.
For a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down!

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
« Reply #304 on: August 23, 2009, 10:37:42 pm »
Ok, I had to get it as an e-book, but anyway...
"1984" by George Orwell. It's simply awesome how Orwell drew from the political situation (in a somewhat exaggerated way though) of his time and create a clearly fictionalized but at the same time realistic world. I've only had it for a few hours, and I already finished one third of it. :biggrin:
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #305 on: August 26, 2009, 07:32:25 pm »
Brian D'Amato: "In the Courts of the Sun: The Sacrifice Game" (in German available as "2012 - Das Ende aller Zeiten" which means "2012 - The End of all Times")

I stumbled across this book when I saw the big "2012" on the cover, and it was a lucky strike. Absolutely unasideable; I devoured the first 300 pages at once, reading until I dropped.

It's about a half-Maya named Jed who learnt a board game from his mother before he lost her and his whole village in a massacre. She used this game to predict little events as a kind of local shaman: When will Dad come home? What can heal my current illness? After some very moved life Jed uses the game for stock exchange speculations and makes a fortune with it.

Then some old contacts of him get him into a group of scientists, financed through somewhat dark private channels, who are working on an ancient Maya prophecy that seems to predict the end of mankind for the winter solstice 2012. Oh well, we've all heard about this a gazillion times, haven't we? :lol3: They find out that this prediction was made using a highly sophisticated version of said game and send Jed - or rather a copy of his mind - into the past in order to learn the game. Their hope is that they might replay that game, find out more details about the impending doom and prevent the catastrophe at the last second.

Jed tells his story with a refreshing openness and irony. The book is not only extremely suspenseful and full of apparently well-researched scientific facts (Jed keeps talking about animals and plants with their Latin, scientific names - he's very educated. :biggrin:) but also full of humour. For instance Jed is talking to a female scientist whom he finds very attractive. They are discussing languages and Jed tells her that there are no infixes in English, just pre- and suffixes. That's when she suddenly asks: "What about fucking?" -  :blink: "Pardon?" :blink: - "You know, as in Ala-fucking-bama!". :roll:

Go. And. Get. A. Copy!

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
« Reply #306 on: August 26, 2009, 08:08:41 pm »
Hi Markus!! This book seems very intersting, really!  :lol3:

I'm reading now a book of short stories by Haruki Murakami. In English I think it was edited in two books: "Dabchick" and "A Perfect Day for Kangaroos"... First reading about this Japanese author, and I must say I like it a lot. His stories talk about normal and fantastic things with a hard division... all of them are strange, some are very strange, like the one about a man who was vomitting during 40 days with no illness at all and no feeling bad... just the same days when a strange man he didn't know was phoning him and saying just his name before hunging it up  :insane:

Just before that I read the first Harry Potter in English... I read it once, some time ago, but I didn't enjoyed it too much. After watching the last movie (which I liked a lot) I decided to read it again, and I did... now I want to read the other ones, too  :fish:
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #307 on: August 27, 2009, 03:50:25 pm »
Those sound interesting, Luth. :)

Say, are you reading the Potter-series in the English original or in a translation? I think that this is a great occasion to start English books as the Potter-series begins with a children's book and gets more and more adult with each book.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #308 on: August 27, 2009, 04:55:31 pm »
Hi Markus,

I'm reading it in the original English. But I'm very used to read in the original English... I even worked reading in English for two editorials  :nosweat:  That means I've no problems with English reading... what DOESN'T MEAN I must have the same skills in writing, even less in listening or speaking  :insane:
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #309 on: August 27, 2009, 05:04:08 pm »
Oh, I wasn't aware of that, Luth, sorry! :unsure: But congrats! :)

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #310 on: August 28, 2009, 08:28:01 am »
Oh, I wasn't aware of that, Luth, sorry! :unsure: But congrats! :)

Cheers!

Markus

Don't worry... perhaps I did not speak so clearly as I thought  :lol3:

Besides that... what is a better training than reading about conspirations about world domination in this very forum?  :ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #311 on: August 28, 2009, 09:22:56 am »
The only better option is to actually gain world domination and define our English as the worldwide standard for perfect English. :ninja: :nana:

My current book is turning into a jungle- and city-jungle adventure in ancient Maya times. Still unasideable!

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #312 on: August 28, 2009, 09:40:25 am »
A pair of days into reading "1984" and I'm done.
It feels quite short despite the fact that it encompasses so many events.
As I already said, it's great. I read it for educational purposes (I assume, if not, for pure pleasure) but I recommend it highly to anyone who likes this mid-20th Century feeling (kind of like the one you get with the Fallout and BioShock video game series) and intriguing conspiracies, mad dictatorships and such stuff.
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #313 on: September 01, 2009, 01:07:45 am »
I have just finished the 888 pages of "In the Courts of the Sun".

After the middle part which plays in ancient Maya times, the third part is again in the present, or rather the near future, exactly in 2012. It has a pretty surprising, disturbing and challenging ending - and then you get to know that this is only "the end of the first book". :wacko: The next one doesn't seem to be out yet; I can only hope that they publish it before the world ends.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #314 on: September 01, 2009, 05:19:57 am »
...And as probably the biggest disappointment this school year (and next year, for that matter) my English program does not have the dystopian fiction I was looking forward to... There's no "1984" or "Brave New World" in the program...
Instead, I'm getting Sophocles' "Antigone." Hopefully, it'll be as painless as possible. :ninja:

Offline Mystique

• Butterfly Faerie
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #315 on: September 01, 2009, 11:46:01 pm »
hey! :D I really liked Antigone  :biggrin: it's not that big of a pain really - you just shouldn't let yourself approach the book with the ''ugh, it's boring, and I'll die reading it'' attitude. that's the mistake most students do...imho. I don't know why most of them don't like the 'old' literature and feel so revolted by it...oh well...I do like it and I can say it, they don't know what they're missing ;D

so just try to get into the story...it's actually pretty interesting ;)
good luck!

[edit]: @t: Right now I'm reading the fifth book of Grička vještica series. and I'm loving it.  :bow: Her works should have been translated to English. If I ever get the chance, I'll do it myself ;D:lol3: I haven't even started my studies yet and I'm already too ambitious  :lol3: )
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 12:54:37 am by Mystique »

Offline Serpentine

« Reply #316 on: September 03, 2009, 03:11:17 pm »
Right now I'm reading the fifth book of Grička vještica series. and I'm loving it.  :bow: Her works should have been translated to English. If I ever get the chance, I'll do it myself ;D:lol3: I haven't even started my studies yet and I'm already too ambitious  :lol3: )

(@Misty: SLINIŠAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! :blush: Siniša is the name of main male character in the book and he is ...  :bow: :wub: - and I thought I had a real life :nosweat: need to go out more :ninja: :whistle: ) I have Plameni inkvizitori 1&2 here and am about to start reading them...again :wub: - - - started today and just finished reading Kći Lotršćaka: Divljan (yes, another main male character) :drool:  :wub: shy)

...you might have the chance to translate it :D unless I do it first XD  :whistle:
"Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are." -- Niccolo Machiavelli

"All men hear is blah, blah, blah, blah, SEX, blah, blah, blah, FOOD, blah, blah, blah, BEER." -- Dennis Leary

"And like the cat I'm stalking
I'll take your soul and You'll
Be like me
In emptiness,free

Offline Mystique

• Butterfly Faerie
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #317 on: September 03, 2009, 06:42:28 pm »
ahhaha Sinišaaa :D :D :D that man (fictional character, that is -.-) is gonna kill me (and if you thought you had no real life, you should see me reading the books and ecstasy on my face when there's something related to him xD -.- pathetic, I know)

btw, emperor Josip is not that bad either op2) xD -.- I should probably get a life.

as for her other works, I will try to read them all when my university starts (I hope I'll have time though), as I'll have no time to do it during these holidays...

hahah okay, let's do it like this - I'll translate a half, and you'll translate the other half, and that way we'll be done faster XD  :biggrin:

Offline saphira

• Queen of dragons
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Nothing is trivial...
« Reply #318 on: October 23, 2009, 06:35:52 pm »
George R. R. Martin - A Clash Of Kings, the second book from "A Song Of Ice And Fire!

Just s it's written on the cover : "Grabs hold and won't let go. It's brilliant!"  :thumbup:
It can't rain all the time so put a smile on your face and proudly take another step.

The time of dragons will come again...
THERION - Till the day I die!

Offline RagingRadish

• www.flickr.com
« Reply #319 on: October 24, 2009, 11:16:21 pm »
The Road.  I've just started so I can't say much about it but I read the film (with Viggo Mortensen from LoTR) review for it's debut at the Toronto International Film Festival and was intrigued.

Review from Amazon.ca:

Cormac McCarthy sets his new novel, The Road, in a post-apocalyptic blight of gray skies that drizzle ash, a world in which all matter of wildlife is extinct, starvation is not only prevalent but nearly all-encompassing, and marauding bands of cannibals roam the environment with pieces of human flesh stuck between their teeth. If this sounds oppressive and dispiriting, it is. McCarthy may have just set to paper the definitive vision of the world after nuclear war, and in this recent age of relentless saber-rattling by the global powers, it's not much of a leap to feel his vision could be not far off the mark nor, sadly, right around the corner. Stealing across this horrific (and that's the only word for it) landscape are an unnamed man and his emaciated son, a boy probably around the age of ten. It is the love the father feels for his son, a love as deep and acute as his grief, that could surprise readers of McCarthy's previous work. McCarthy's Gnostic impressions of mankind have left very little place for love. In fact that greatest love affair in any of his novels, I would argue, occurs between the Billy Parham and the wolf in The Crossing. But here the love of a desperate father for his sickly son transcends all else. McCarthy has always written about the battle between light and darkness; the darkness usually comprises 99.9% of the world, while any illumination is the weak shaft thrown by a penlight running low on batteries. In The Road, those batteries are almost out--the entire world is, quite literally, dying--so the final affirmation of hope in the novel's closing pages is all the more shocking and maybe all the more enduring as the boy takes all of his father's (and McCarthy's) rage at the hopeless folly of man and lays it down, lifting up, in its place, the oddest of all things: faith.