Author Topic: Now reading...  (Read 245159 times)

Offline Lasse

• Loyal Cell Spammer
  • Loyal Member
    • ze last.fm
Re: Now reading...
« Reply #260 on: February 12, 2009, 12:15:24 am »
Azimov - The foundation part 1. Looks interesting. Spaaaaaaaaaceeeee

Do read the other four parts too, they are incredibly good books, one of my favourites. :)
Kék hajnal kihasad, feltör, kék ingem kiszabom az égből, kék ingem lobogó, s nézd csak - kék erdőn korona a harmat.

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
« Reply #261 on: February 12, 2009, 12:46:17 am »
Dad's got a pretty big Asimov collection, so I'm thinking about reading that series as well. :lol3:
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #262 on: February 12, 2009, 07:34:59 pm »
It deals with, oh well, an ancient mystic scripture which the church is trying suppress, a sect trying to get its hands on it, genuine demons, Templars, Illuminati, a conspiracy in the Vatican, a world-conspiracy which holds virtually every important industry, and of course the fate of the whole world is at stake. Amazingly innovative. :fish: :lol3:

Umm... I forgot to mention it has mad old nuns and "I can see dead people" as well. I just miss some space aliens, and there should have been more time-travelling, too. :lol3:
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
« Reply #263 on: February 12, 2009, 10:19:34 pm »
I just miss some space aliens, and there should have been more time-travelling, too. :lol3:

Don't reveal the topics of the next volumes before time! :D

Offline Mystique

• Butterfly Faerie
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Madness takes its toll.
« Reply #264 on: February 15, 2009, 05:23:35 pm »
I'm reading L'Etranger by Albert Camus...for school...
heh, I kinda even like it  :thumbup:
For a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down!

Offline lavaniegosII

• The Composer
  • Loyal Member
  • Fly free bird
    • www.myspace.com/ainset
« Reply #265 on: February 22, 2009, 06:59:01 pm »

[/quote]

Umm... I forgot to mention it has mad old nuns and "I can see dead people" as well. I just miss some space aliens, and there should have been more time-travelling, too. :lol3:
[/quote]

Jajajajaja you are funny man. Space aliens never let you down.

Lavalien
6 6 6

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #266 on: March 21, 2009, 10:05:41 pm »
Hi folks,

now I'm reading that "Bella & Edward"-series by Stephenie Meyer. It was warmly recommended to me by from several sides, and also I wanted to know what the current hype is about. I'm not too impressed - as was written here about the movie the books seem somewhat empty in content. Ten percent of the books consist of variations of one single scene: "Furtively I wondered what he found about me. I was sure he'd leave me, and the hole was about to open up again. He must have seen the pain in my eyes, because he took my face in his cold, hard hands, locked his ember eyes on mine and said with his velvet-voice: 'I could never live without you, Bella. Do you know that?'" There are other modules like that, which altogether make up half of the whole series. :lol3:

What I really like about the books are the very vivid descriptions. That's done really skillfully: Highly detailed descriptions, yet easy and fast to read. This is really impressive and is enough for me to like the whole series. But I think in order to fully appreciate these books and get really excited about them I'd need a second X-chromosome.  :wink2:

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #267 on: March 21, 2009, 10:15:43 pm »
I'd need a second X-chromosome.  :wink2:

You should try that! :wOOt:

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #268 on: March 22, 2009, 01:34:59 am »
Well, the good High Priest has done my job for me. I was thinking about reading at least one of those books to see if I was right about it all being overrated. :lol3:
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline saphira

• Queen of dragons
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Nothing is trivial...
« Reply #269 on: March 22, 2009, 11:59:18 am »
Hey!
So Markus thank you for comment on Twilight books .. I was also  told I should read it coz it's good.. but than I got a movie and I must say it's not that bad at all but not smth that would make me think.. more or less it makes you love  a computer made face of Edward. If there is any other observation you will have about this let us know coz I still somehow wish to read it.. but I seriousely lack time so if it's really sort of trivial literature like some.. romance novels from Victoria Holt or smth than I won't waste time on it..
It can't rain all the time so put a smile on your face and proudly take another step.

The time of dragons will come again...
THERION - Till the day I die!

Offline Mystique

• Butterfly Faerie
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Madness takes its toll.
« Reply #270 on: March 22, 2009, 06:56:14 pm »
haha the Twilight series...read it... :lol3: what to say about it? I completely agree with what Markus said about it. :D
I must admit I really enjoyed it though, perhaps because I was in the mood for this level of cheesy-ness back then :lol3: (yeah, I do have periods when I like cheesy stuff, shoot me if you want  :nosweat: ) plus, the books really are easy to read, that's why it wasn't hard for me to read all four of them at once  :nosweat:. I'd say the books are something to kill the boredom with, something to spend the spare time on. But nothing to make this big a fuss about... IMO.

However, the movie I didn't like at all. It was boring and well...not made as good as I thought it would be.
For a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down!

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #271 on: March 24, 2009, 02:31:35 pm »
Hey there!

If there is any other observation you will have about this let us know coz I still somehow wish to read it.. but I seriousely lack time so if it's really sort of trivial literature like some.. romance novels from Victoria Holt or smth than I won't waste time on it..

I yet have to read the fourth book and I will tell you if I discover anything new.

I do enjoy the reading a lot, but I don't see any deeper content in it. There is no real conflict IMHO, so yes, it's just nicely made entertainment.

(Still I'm eager to get my hands on the fourth one so I can see how everything turns out. :lol3:)

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Loke

• Twisted Bard
  • let the twisted pipes blow
    • me
« Reply #272 on: March 28, 2009, 10:03:27 am »
Oscar Wilde - The Picture of Dorian Gray  :bow: omg I'm like...thrilled by this book! THRILLED!  :yeha:

My Fav author , I strongly recomend "The importance of being Ernest"

yo yo yo
Scripta Manet

Offline Serpentine

« Reply #273 on: March 28, 2009, 12:40:46 pm »
Now reading: Herbert West: Reanimator and Other Stories by H.P. Lovecraft

after that:

Dagon and Other Macabre Tales also by H.P. Lovecraft

"Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are." -- Niccolo Machiavelli

"All men hear is blah, blah, blah, blah, SEX, blah, blah, blah, FOOD, blah, blah, blah, BEER." -- Dennis Leary

"And like the cat I'm stalking
I'll take your soul and You'll
Be like me
In emptiness,free

Offline lavaniegosII

• The Composer
  • Loyal Member
  • Fly free bird
    • www.myspace.com/ainset
« Reply #274 on: March 29, 2009, 02:22:17 am »
Lovecraft is a very interesting reading full of dark ancient symbolism and trully description of the astral planes. From Lovecraft I strongly recommend The Chase of Charles Dexter Ward, The Whisper in the Dark, Pickman´s Model, Dunwich Horror, In the quest of Kadath (i don´t remember the exact title).

Lavacraft :evil2:
6 6 6

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #275 on: March 29, 2009, 02:43:41 am »
Arthur C. Clarke & Stephen Baxter: Firstborn.

After the devastating sunstorm a new attack is threatening mankind: Obviously a cosmological weapon has been launched at earth, a bomb that makes use of the mysterious dark energy that is the driving force behind the expansion of the universe.

This is science-fiction at its best: Imaginative, well researched, realistic - it is imaginable that the described human technology will be developed in the next few decades. The book seems somewhat anti-climactic with the solution coming rather unspectacularly without a dramatic last-minute-showdown. But still the story remains suspenseful until the very last page. This is far better storytelling than the 08/15 last-minute-solution you get with most cheaper stories.

I must admit that I didn't understand the very last chapter, but this may be because I haven't read the first book of this trilogy yet. Apart from this the story is easy to follow even without knowing the first two books. I have read the second one, though, "Sunstorm", which I can recommend most highly with its thrilling story, the realistic technology and its highly detailed and well researched descriptions of human life on the moon - as if the authors had been there themselves.

Definitely the best book I've read in a while. Go and get it! Meanwhile I will make up for the missing first part.
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #276 on: March 29, 2009, 05:07:21 pm »
Gabriel Garcia Marquez- Cien Años de Soledad (One Hundred Years of Solitude) :biggrin:

Offline Serpentine

« Reply #277 on: March 29, 2009, 05:22:29 pm »
Lovecraft is a very interesting reading full of dark ancient symbolism and trully description of the astral planes. From Lovecraft I strongly recommend The Chase of Charles Dexter Ward, The Whisper in the Dark, Pickman´s Model, Dunwich Horror, In the quest of Kadath (i don´t remember the exact title).
Lavacraft :evil2:

The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath :) yes, his novels and short stories are really interesting - I just finished "The Colour Out of Space" and I love it! I still haven't read The Dunwich Horror but I saw the movie and I didn't like it very much...it was more like a comedy to me :blink:
Lavacraf :thumbup:
"Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are." -- Niccolo Machiavelli

"All men hear is blah, blah, blah, blah, SEX, blah, blah, blah, FOOD, blah, blah, blah, BEER." -- Dennis Leary

"And like the cat I'm stalking
I'll take your soul and You'll
Be like me
In emptiness,free

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #278 on: April 18, 2009, 12:14:34 pm »
Hi folks,

right now I'm reading the fourth and last book of "Bella & Edward". While the first three were decent, but nothing special to me, this one is really good. Fine storytelling from different viewpoints, with really new developments in every chapter and almost on every page, not too easy to foresee. Plus all that boring "How can he love ME?" - "Oh, I could never live without you." in every third paragraph has vanished. :wOOt: This one I can really recommend.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer