Author Topic: Now reading...  (Read 252245 times)

Offline Mystique

• Butterfly Faerie
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Madness takes its toll.
Re: Now reading...
« Reply #240 on: December 29, 2008, 07:43:16 pm »
Oscar Wilde - The Picture of Dorian Gray  :bow: omg I'm like...thrilled by this book! THRILLED!  :yeha:

@Serp: Thank you sooooo much!! I've wanted this book like forever!  :huglove:
For a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down!

Offline Lady Sa'iltu

• Do What Thou Wilt...
« Reply #241 on: December 29, 2008, 09:06:06 pm »
Alan F. Elford - "Gods of New Millenium".  :hug2: :hug2:
"Die gewöhnlichsten Irrschlüsse der Menschen sind diese: eine Sache existiert, also hat sie ein Recht." (F. Nietzsche)

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #242 on: January 15, 2009, 03:28:59 pm »
Currently I am reading a book written by Haruki Murakami. It's called "Kafka on the Shore".
I have to say that from the beginning I didn't get used to the way how Murakami writes - I am almost in a half and it haven't changed.
It tells several stories of different people - young boy Tamura who escaped from home, Mr. Nakata, Mr. Óshima... and so on.
I would like to finish the book cause it has some very interesting and useful parts but I am reading it with little feeling of being disgusted.
But then again, who does.

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #243 on: January 15, 2009, 04:40:20 pm »
Michael Peinkofer: Die Bruderschaft der Runen ("The Brotherhood of Runes" - available only in German afaik).  A mystery / crime novel about a sinister secret organisation which is trying to wreak havoc in Scotland in the 19th century but which is said to be rooted in oh-so-ancient times. Not a must-read, honestly. I may have a bit of knowledge about runes, but I've never heard of "dark, forbidden runes" as the book claims. The plot is too conventional and foreseeable for my taste. Still I mean to finish the book because it's fairly entertaining and because it uses quite a good German, but I'm not likely to recommend it or to keep a lasting impression.

I'll update you if the book surprises me with a good ending.
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
« Reply #244 on: January 15, 2009, 05:11:23 pm »
I'm re-reading "Cien años de soledad" (A hundread solitary years... or something similar) from Gabriel García Márquez. I already read it long long time ago, and now I've the 40th Anniversary edition, plenty of prefaces of postfaces (English Killer Stupid Joke strikes again  :ninja: )... One of the best books in Spanish, and one of my fav. I MUST read it again  :whistle:
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #245 on: January 15, 2009, 05:14:45 pm »
Michael Peinkofer: Die Bruderschaft der Runen ("The Brotherhood of Runes" - available only in German afaik).  A mystery / crime novel about a sinister secret organisation which is trying to wreak havoc in Scotland in the 19th century but which is said to be rooted in oh-so-ancient times. Not a must-read, honestly. I may have a bit of knowledge about runes, but I've never heard of "dark, forbidden runes" as the book claims. The plot is too conventional and foreseeable for my taste. Still I mean to finish the book because it's fairly entertaining and because it uses quite a good German, but I'm not likely to recommend it or to keep a lasting impression.

I'll update you if the book surprises me with a good ending.

It's very visible that Germany and CZ are neighbours. :) This book is translated to Czech already for a year or such.
I am curious about Your updates a lot.

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #246 on: January 15, 2009, 06:22:10 pm »
Oh, I didn't know that. :unsure:

Well, if you ask me: Don't bother reading it. The end is far worse than I expected. (Beware - spoilers!)

The evil brotherhood gets hold of the heroes and intends to sacrifice the heroine with a mystical sword in a circle of stones during a lunar eclipse. Not only that the eclipse is badly described, astronomcially very incorrect... As the chief villain raises the sword high in order to kill the poor brave young lady, a bolt of lightning hits the weapon and changes everything.  :roll-eyes: :fish:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 06:31:10 pm by Markus »
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #247 on: January 15, 2009, 07:46:03 pm »
No problem. I just remembered that it was for a long time in the bookshops placed in "new". :)

And about the story... and its end - I thought so  :ninja:  : ))

Offline lavaniegosII

• The Composer
  • Loyal Member
  • Fly free bird
    • www.myspace.com/ainset
« Reply #248 on: January 16, 2009, 08:56:29 pm »
Mircea Eliade - Myth and Reality. Very interesting book but a little bit hard to read it due the Complex use of quotes and other writers, books, etc
6 6 6

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #249 on: January 20, 2009, 12:34:42 pm »
I'm re-reading "Cien años de soledad" (A hundread solitary years... or something similar) from Gabriel García Márquez. I already read it long long time ago, and now I've the 40th Anniversary edition, plenty of prefaces of postfaces (English Killer Stupid Joke strikes again  :ninja: )... One of the best books in Spanish, and one of my fav. I MUST read it again  :whistle:
Exactly one year after I started reading it again. Good choice Luthy.

I just finished Narcis and Goldmund by Hermann Hesse. Good stuff for a change but, have you noticed that Hesse made virtually the same book two or three times with different historical backgrounds? ... alright, alright I will leave good old Hermann a break for a while.
I'll be reading soon "El olvido que seremos" (literally "the oblivion that we will be") from Hector Abad Faciolince (a Colombian journalist). It's my mother's x-mas gift, and I think it's about the changing paradigms during the 20th century in a politicallly unstable country. More comments on that book soon.
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #250 on: January 20, 2009, 06:18:10 pm »
I dropped the reading of Murakami. It wasn't really my cup of tea. (I usually do not do this  :blink: ).
And today I was in the library... borrowed The Tempest by Shakespeare, tragedies by Sofoklés and "Transformations" by Ovidius... Also have some Hungarian translation on the list... and currently I am reading Jacob's Room by Virginia Woolf. It's the last book by her I haven't read yet :)

Offline Serpentine

« Reply #251 on: January 20, 2009, 08:46:27 pm »
Oscar Wilde - The Picture of Dorian Gray  :bow: omg I'm like...thrilled by this book! THRILLED!  :yeha:

@Serp: Thank you sooooo much!! I've wanted this book like forever!  :huglove:

awww shy) thx - i was afraid i wouldn't pick the right christmas present for you but the trick from last year worked like a charm :whistle: - this year i HAD a pencil to write you something on the cover :biggrin: ... oh, and don't forget His help in choosing and writing .ss shy)

Now reading: The Keys of psychic magic by Z. M. Slavinski - donno if there's an english version of this book :-\

"Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are." -- Niccolo Machiavelli

"All men hear is blah, blah, blah, blah, SEX, blah, blah, blah, FOOD, blah, blah, blah, BEER." -- Dennis Leary

"And like the cat I'm stalking
I'll take your soul and You'll
Be like me
In emptiness,free

Offline saphira

• Queen of dragons
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Nothing is trivial...
« Reply #252 on: January 21, 2009, 04:38:57 pm »
 @Serp: Hey!  What's this book about? I guess I can get it in my hometown library  :) (Don't need any translations..)
It can't rain all the time so put a smile on your face and proudly take another step.

The time of dragons will come again...
THERION - Till the day I die!

Offline Mystique

• Butterfly Faerie
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Madness takes its toll.
« Reply #253 on: January 21, 2009, 07:12:00 pm »
awww shy) thx - i was afraid i wouldn't pick the right christmas present for you but the trick from last year worked like a charm :whistle: - this year i HAD a pencil to write you something on the cover :biggrin: ... oh, and don't forget His help in choosing and writing .ss shy)

don't you worry, you picked the best Christmas present  :wub:
xD and of course I won't forget His help xD mmm) hihi
For a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down!

Offline Serpentine

« Reply #254 on: January 22, 2009, 07:12:39 pm »
@Misty: shy) awww) .ss shy) xd (i realized now we almost don't write words anymore just our abbreviations :nosweat: :whistle: )

@Saph: It's a handbook on how to prepare yourself for The Path, showing you some exercises how to relax and explore yourself mentally.

(i added "mentally" cause i knew u all would think of something else under "exploring yourself" - seriously people, u r all obsessed with dirty thoughts :disgust: ... ... ... :blush: :whistle: XD XD XD )
"Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are." -- Niccolo Machiavelli

"All men hear is blah, blah, blah, blah, SEX, blah, blah, blah, FOOD, blah, blah, blah, BEER." -- Dennis Leary

"And like the cat I'm stalking
I'll take your soul and You'll
Be like me
In emptiness,free

Offline deathdancer

• Revolution Leader
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • So sexy
    • http://vargagrav.com
« Reply #255 on: January 24, 2009, 07:28:53 pm »
I wish I could just find time to read something.
I have so many books on my list and no time.
Life's a bitch... and than you die...

English killer member #3
Therion Society member

Offline saphira

• Queen of dragons
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Nothing is trivial...
« Reply #256 on: January 24, 2009, 10:31:39 pm »
@serp: thanks. let me know what you thnk about it when you fnish it :)

I started last book from Stravaganza collection, City of flowers by Mary Hoffman.. :)
It can't rain all the time so put a smile on your face and proudly take another step.

The time of dragons will come again...
THERION - Till the day I die!

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #257 on: February 02, 2009, 11:15:44 am »
I am still dwelling over "The Bible Unearthed. Archeology's New Vision of Ancient Israel and the Origin of Its Sacred Texts." Actually, It's very very interesting reading. It's so great to read about the historical and archeological stuff connected to Bible. All the "lies" and "truths"...
Sometimes my studies are so interesting! :)

Offline lavaniegosII

• The Composer
  • Loyal Member
  • Fly free bird
    • www.myspace.com/ainset
« Reply #258 on: February 03, 2009, 04:54:21 am »
Azimov - The foundation part 1. Looks interesting. Spaaaaaaaaaceeeee
6 6 6

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #259 on: February 11, 2009, 10:28:43 pm »
Hi folks,

I've just finished "Das Evangelium nach Satan" by Patrick Graham ("The Gospel according to Satan", French original "L'evangile selon Satan"). It deals with, oh well, an ancient mystic scripture which the church is trying suppress, a sect trying to get its hands on it, genuine demons, Templars, Illuminati, a conspiracy in the Vatican, a world-conspiracy which holds virtually every important industry, and of course the fate of the whole world is at stake. Amazingly innovative. :fish: :lol3:

Especially the first part is full of quite hard, depressing descriptions of misery and cruel violence. The novel does include one philosophical thought, but even that one is not new. But apart from all these drawbacks it does make a very enthralling reading and I can recommend it to you if you like this kind of entertainment. :thumbup:

Cheers!

Markus

Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!