Author Topic: new guy  (Read 13498 times)

Offline jcv

new guy
« on: April 26, 2007, 12:40:03 am »
Hi
I'm new here and actually just joined to see what's up for the Therion concert in Miskolc in June.  I already have my reservations - but no tickets.  Any word on when they will be available?

I'm from the states in DC.  Just retired so I have free time.  I probably have more history than any of you - I remember the Beatles but never really liked them that much.  I got into European metal about 10 years ago as there was not much good American music and even less now, just a few bands like Iced Earth.  I listen to Therion, Lacrimosa, Edguy, Rammstein, Graveworm, Dark Tranquility, Samael, Axel Rudi Pell, Poisonblack, Amod Amarth, Crematory, Cultus Sanguine, Lefay, Iron Maiden, Cradle of Filth, and lots of others.  Always looking for something new. 

I will be flying into Budapest on 15 June from Amsterdam and renting a car to drive to Miskolc.  Returning to Budapest on the 17th.  I will have room (God willing, I get the car and don't get lost) if people need a ride. 

I'm not really up on these chat things, so bear with me.
Joe

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Re: new guy
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 12:45:17 am »
Hey Joe,

great to have you here - welcome!

Your way to Miskolc is a long one.  :blink: But you won't be the only NTSMS member there.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline Ortelius

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 01:04:26 am »
Hi Joe!

Internet newbie myself, these boards are the first I've ever posted to... so far, it's been fun - the people here are very welcoming!

You're a lucky man to be flying off to foreign climes, getting a car and driving off to see Therion...  hope my retiremenet is comfortable enough to allow me the luxury of going to see good metal overseas!

Budapest is in Hungary right?  How do you think you will go language-wise?  Not going to brush up on any Hungarian are you?

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 02:43:23 am »
Welcome Joe!
Great to see more new members, post for a lot, and as Markus has already said... You'll not be the only one in Miskolc, but sadly I won't be there, though expect to see more people reply to that.
About the History, well, everyone in this board has more history than I do, but I think you should talk to Metal Mommy about that, she knows best. :wink2:
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 08:26:42 am »
 :welcome: Joe!

Unfortunately I won't be there, but I wish good luck to all NTSMS members who will travel to Miskolc (and other Therion fans too). And I wish a lot of pictures and videos and reviews. A LOOOOT, and aaaaall for meeeee, my treaaassssssssure!  :ninja:

Glad to see our community is growing around all the world! I wish you'll enjoy this little and comfy forum as much as I do. Feel free to post, share your experiences or ideas or craziness (yep, you need to be a little  :insane: to enter here).

Ah, and soon we'll find you writting long posts sharing common or uncommon experiences with Mommy (Eve here)... Perhaps you'll become Daddy?  :lol3:
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 09:06:11 am »
Hey Luth,

admittedly, I thought the same...

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 08:21:01 pm »
How do you think you will go language-wise?  Not going to brush up on any Hungarian are you?

I do that every day. :lol3:

Welcome Joe! :yeha:

Offline VladH

• Shapeshifter
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Dead
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 09:04:54 pm »
Welcome, Wilkommen, Witaj....

In other words: Hi there  :)
The Longships are coming...

Offline Nighthawk

• Life on Mars?
    • Lust.fm
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 11:56:39 pm »
Hey Joe.

*suppresses need to burst into Hendrix Mode*

Nope, won't mention guns. Nor women. Nor... anything.

Hey.
Can't stop the signal.

Offline Diane

• Metal Mommy
  • Loyal Member
    • Last FM
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 05:23:07 pm »
Hey Joe...   welcome from another retired old-timer!  (haha)

I am Metal Mommy over here...  perhaps you can be the Metal Daddy!  Edit:  Oops...  Luth already said this.   

I'm in Massachusetts, so we're almost neighbors.  You can see the bands I listen to on Last FM:  http://www.last.fm/user/TheOFFwoman/

As you can see, you are never too old for good metal bands!

« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 05:29:51 pm by Eve »

Offline Loke

• Twisted Bard
  • let the twisted pipes blow
    • me
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 05:46:25 am »

Hey Joe, nice to have newbies around (not so newbie hehe) :lol3:

wellcome!

yo yo yo
Scripta Manet

Offline jcv

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 03:21:37 am »
Hi Joe!

Internet newbie myself, these boards are the first I've ever posted to... so far, it's been fun - the people here are very welcoming!

You're a lucky man to be flying off to foreign climes, getting a car and driving off to see Therion...  hope my retiremenet is comfortable enough to allow me the luxury of going to see good metal overseas!

Budapest is in Hungary right?  How do you think you will go language-wise?  Not going to brush up on any Hungarian are you?

No I don't know any Hungarian and I am even having trouble figuring out how to use this chat stuff.  Not a good sign huh?  I have heard that the language (Magnar?) is unique and unrelated to other languages.   But I got a Tom Tom with maps of Europe so I should be able to get there.  Language-wise I am a dummy (studied French, German, and Korean but could never remember the words for more than 2 minutes) but have gotten along pretty well all over on the kindness of strangers.  What happens happens.

Offline jcv

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2007, 03:42:35 am »
Hey Joe...   welcome from another retired old-timer!  (haha)

I am Metal Mommy over here...  perhaps you can be the Metal Daddy!  Edit:  Oops...  Luth already said this.   

I'm in Massachusetts, so we're almost neighbors.  You can see the bands I listen to on Last FM:  http://www.last.fm/user/TheOFFwoman/

As you can see, you are never too old for good metal bands!

I see we have some overlap but some of my favorites are not on the list - Graveworm, Dark Tranquility, Lacrimosa, Axel Rudi Pell.    No I probably am not the best candidate for Poppa, I am more low profile.  I lived in Mass a long time ago, how's it doing? 

Offline Nighthawk

• Life on Mars?
    • Lust.fm
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2007, 12:12:49 pm »
I have heard that the language (Magnar?) is unique and unrelated to other languages.
Well, it's Finno-Hungarian, so my guess would be that it has slight similarities with or, at least, hints at, Finnish.

I find the language neat - not neat enough to learn, but... eh. Saw a bit of it in history class :biggrin:
Can't stop the signal.

Offline Agnes

• Metal Princess
  • Loyal Member
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2007, 12:25:18 pm »
Cześć, Terve(tuloa), Wilkommen, Hello ;)