Author Topic: National news.  (Read 154724 times)

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Re: National news.
« Reply #240 on: June 04, 2013, 11:02:00 am »
Hey folks,

now I am affected. Not in the sense that there's water in my home but the river Saale has reached a level we've never seen before as far as I know. Trams don't go anymore, both the planetarium and my boxing hall are flooded, and worst of all: A dam within walking distance from here was about to break yesterday. My parents live closer to it than I do.

The officials had appealed to the citizens to come to a certain place to fill sandbags. That spot was too distant for me but I wanted to try and help after my late shift, so I went near the dam to see if they need me there. They did, so I was filling sand-bags and passing them on in large human chains for almost five hours.

Count it as disaster-event-tourism! You don't see that every day... Usually, that dam is perceived as a mere walking way that happens to be called a dam. You don't even see the river from there on a normal day. Yesterday, however, I saw the river right beneath the top of the dam. The waning moon rose and was reflected in the water while I was passing on sandbags with dozens or even hundreds of volunteers.

Or count it as a weird workout. I think what I did is sold as "cross-fit" for lots of money in some gyms. :lol3: Nah, seriously, I'm a bit proud that I  managed to work like that for hours and I don't think I would have done so well without all the training I had.

But what annoys is me a little is that the media don't appreciate those many volunteers. They report that the dam is safe for the time being (whew!) thanks to fire-brigades, the THW (a civilian disaster control organisation) and the German army. Sorry, but they would have never achieved that without those numbers of volunteers! Many young men, but also a few women or older men. Saw a guy with a broken foot who helped anyway and a brave middle-aged lady. :bow: Doesn't hurt the officials to mention that effort, does it?

That's it from Halle. How are you doing in Praha, Kris?

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #241 on: June 04, 2013, 11:42:42 am »
Hello Markus,

I am glad to read that you are, yourself safe.

I was considering myself going to be a volunteer in the Prague Zoo, they asked for help but considering my health status (voiceless etc.) I think it would be unwise cause in case something happens to me I cannot call for help.
Instead I am spending two days of home office and studying.
It's really great you could help them - you live in the city and it is your environment and I bet it feels great :)

Yes, I think we have a bit of a problem with leaders and the media. They do thank to the firemen, army and police but not to the volunteers. And honestly - even the gratitude towards the organized forces (firemen, police and army) is definitely not expressed on the proper scale as it should... :(

I did not watch much the news yet today. But the public transportation is not in very good situation. The underground was not hit by the floods - I mean - no damage caused. But the whole center (and also load of "edge-part stations") are shut down so the whole city now stays on the bus and tram transportation and great thanks belong to Czech Railways who made very important new connections. Also some private railway companies are doing great job borrowing their locomotives and vagons for the new routes etc.

Lot of people around the Bohemia had to be evacuated. 8 dead :(
 There are some villages who are almost completely under water. A lot of dams broke.

The Moldau has now in Prague 3150 Q [m3.s-1] - which is already 150 m3 lesser than at night (it got higher cause they needed to drop down level on Moldau Cascade). If it does not rain anymore that much it should not get worse.
But then again, who does.

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
« Reply #242 on: June 05, 2013, 08:26:19 am »
I wish the best for you both! :( May your people and beloved ones be safe!

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #243 on: June 05, 2013, 09:31:43 am »
Hey folks,

no good news from my place. The level of the river is falling but still extreme. Last night it was the highest we've had in 400 years. The two dams protecting my part of the city are soaked; water is leaking out of them and they still might break. The city officials are recommending to leave the Eastern and Southern parts of this part of the city - where both my parents and I live.

My mom is beside herself with fear. She's packing her medical drugs now and then they'll leave for our cottage which is far from the danger.

For the sake of correction: It was just a flaw that the civilian helpers didn't appear in those reports - meanwhile there have been a lot of other reports who really appreciated the help. And people are still helping a lot! Last night, after work I meant to go, too. However, I called a special hot-line to ask if and where they need help and the lady said there is nowhere they could use me.

And by the way, the Handel Festival was cancelled. This is a pity, especially since I had a ticket for the famous final concert. But this decision is reasonable. The festival would have started tomorrow and lasted for a week - you can't really do this in such a situation.

Kris, I'm crossing my fingers for you but I'm asking you to follow the news. They might have something important...

Cheers, anyway!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #244 on: June 05, 2013, 10:55:15 am »
Update: My parents have left, as the city officially urgently recommended for their area. My area is next on the list and I can already hear the loudspeaker cars, even though they're not in my street yet.

I'll be leaving for the office soon (which is very safe) but I'm curious where I'll be sleeping tonight...

Cheers, anyway!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #245 on: June 05, 2013, 11:23:35 am »
It's great that you have the cottage! :) I wish we were a bit closer, so you all could sleep in our place. :)

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #246 on: June 05, 2013, 11:33:34 am »
Thank you very much, Lucy! :)

I'm relieved that my parents are out of this. I'm not worried about myself, really. All I expect is some inconvenience that I'll be able to cope with. So even if I should get offline for a longer while, there's no need worry.

In the afternoon I'll call a friend who lives further from the river to ask her if I could stay at her place as a plan B.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #247 on: June 05, 2013, 01:37:34 pm »
You should send the forum members an sms, saying "I'm fine", every offline evening. ::)

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #248 on: June 05, 2013, 08:06:21 pm »
Hello folks!

I am fine and the country is partially getting back on its feet. The other part is just falling on its knees.

I am glad you are OK Markus, at least for now. Please keep us updated on the status of yours and your family's.

I am sorry that Czech rivers cause problems in Germany :(

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
« Reply #249 on: June 05, 2013, 09:02:52 pm »
I see the situation is still pretty tough... but I'm glad your parents are safe, Markus. Please, let us know where you have to sleep tonight...  :unsure:

Kris, keep safe too!! AND... who says it's a Czech river causing problems to Germany, and not a German river causing problems to Czech Republic?  :ninja:
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #250 on: June 05, 2013, 09:59:05 pm »
Just a short note while leaving the office: I'm going home regularly. No evacuation for my immediate vicinity so far, and no scary news from the local dams.
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #251 on: June 05, 2013, 11:35:27 pm »
Thank you for your concern, folks!

I'm at home now and the dams are still standing, even though water is leaking through and being pumped back. They don't need any helpers now, so I'll ask again in the morning - even though it's easier for me to go after work as I could on Monday. Or do they have enough helpers now and I should invest some time and strength to help in the aftermath of the actual flood? Anyway, if things get worse I can easily take a day or two off. A colleague can fill in for me, my boss understands and I have no tasks so urgent that they couldn't wait for a few days.

Kris, I'm glad to hear that things are starting to get better at your place. Still I'm so sorry about the fatalities. And really, there's no need to be sorry about Czech rivers! Once they immigrate, their Germans. And apart from that: No one is to blame for the rain falling on them.

Tonight I was very, very proud of my team, by the way: The talk turned towards supporting flood victims, and rather spontaneously we gathered some money within the team. One of us will buy some urgently needed goods and take them to a flood shelter tomorrow. We gathered over 100 bucks all spontaneously and now I'm damn proud of my folks. :bow: (Of course I told them so. :))

That much for the time being. Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #252 on: June 07, 2013, 11:03:06 pm »
Hey folks,

the level is sinking. Slowly, but it's going in the right direction. Many flooded areas are falling dry and there the cleaning and tidying is beginning. However, the dams around my place and the place of my parents are still in peril. But the lower the water, the less pressure is on the dams; that makes a break less likely and the possible damage smaller.

My parents are still at the cottage and tomorrow I'll join them. I hope we can all return safely on Sunday evening.

Good news so far. The bad news is that both the planetarium and the boxing hall were flooded. No one knows yet how bad the damage is. No one knows yet whether and when they can re-open. For the boxing we have evacuation quarters, but only from July on and more remote from my place, which makes attending more difficult for me. For the planetarium, everything's still unsure.

Cheers, anyway!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #253 on: June 08, 2013, 12:14:36 pm »
Relief. Disaster alarm is over and the evacuation ends. I'll join my parents at the cottage for the weekend, then we'll all return. Seems the worst is through now.

I couldn't help much but I'll invest time and cash in helping the planetarium and the boxing club in the aftermath.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
« Reply #254 on: June 08, 2013, 12:18:14 pm »
*Pheeeeeew* I'm so glad!! Now it's time to evaluate the damage... I wish it's as few as possible! Please keep us updated!
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #255 on: June 08, 2013, 12:18:44 pm »
I second to Luthy and please take a good care! :) I hope the damage will be with your and others' help fixed soon.

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #256 on: June 08, 2013, 06:51:22 pm »
It's great to hear this, High Priest! :) Now it's my country's turn: let's hope that the less damage possible happens. :unsure:

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #257 on: June 08, 2013, 07:52:33 pm »
I'll keep my fingers crossed for Hungary as well  :(

Offline Agnes

• Metal Princess
  • Loyal Member
« Reply #258 on: June 08, 2013, 08:36:59 pm »
I keep my fingers crossed for all of you (and for me as well.. just in case..)

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #259 on: June 09, 2013, 05:21:10 pm »
I've heard of that, Lucy. :( I'm crossing my fingers that it doesn't become too bad!

A big hug!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!