Author Topic: Halloween  (Read 8312 times)

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Halloween
« on: October 05, 2006, 11:24:44 am »
Hi folks,

Halloween is being discussed in the other Therion forums as well, and I'd like to say a word or two...

Here in Germany this holiday has no tradition whatsoever, but is being celebrated more and more every year. Behind this are chiefly the pubs that are happy about every occasion to lure more customers and of course the sweets manufacturers. Over the past few years you've seen more and more children going for "trick or treat"...

Now Metal Mommy has given me a terrible idea when she told in another forum that her grown-up son had scared the children on Halloween one year. That sounds like fun to me... any ideas?  :biggrin:

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
Re: Halloween
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 11:36:21 am »
Hi Markus,

first of all... I didn't post it in ES forum because this time I partially agree with our grumpy Panda... and I don't feel like making him think I'm in his side  :ninja:. Here we have another tradition, the "Chestnut day" (bad translation), which is celebrated in November by children, and has a lot to do with Autumm. It has nothing to do with Halloween, and it used to be very traditional mainly in schools and other children and leissure activities. But, as ever, the foreign (yes, the US tradition) has come and from some years to now, children celebrate more and more Halloween and less and less our own tradition. I don't dislike Halloween because it's a foreign party, but because it's kicking out the real own tradition! Children now prefer to get disguissed as a monster (I've heard they start to do the "trick or treat" thingy, but luckily it's hard to do in our kind of cities  :ninja: ), and they get bored with the "Chestnut day". That's what makes me complain about it. Of course, I'm not so radical as our friend in ES  :disgust:

Besides all this, I think it would be great to celebrate our own Halloween (we have no another local tradition, have we?  :whistle:). But I have no idea now. Please, let us know if you have any  :biggrin:
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 11:53:01 am »
In Hungary 1st November is a national holiday since a couple of years, but we don't do anything :) The decoration in the stores recalls the U. S. tradition. I think we will adopt this holiday soon.

The day after, 2nd November, now that's a traditional day: the day of the dead. People usually go to the cemeteries, bring candles to the graves, you can see little lights everywhere. Personally I don't like this holiday, it seems to me that many people cause pain to themselves without sense. I think to my grandma almost every day, and I'm not sad of it, although I loved her - and I still love her. I still feel her close to me - sometimes we talk in my dreams.

About the "tradition" of scaring the little children: what about singing and begging them all of their sweets?
Or better: just dress like a big Panda, holding some sharp stones?

And YES: we need an NTSMS Halloween!  :lol:

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 12:01:57 pm »
I forgot to explain that we have too our Day of Deads, November 1st. People use to go to the graveyard to put flowers for their dead relatives and such... It used to be more important some time ago, when it was almost an obligation to go there and be sad... now not all people follows the tradition, some prefer to go to cementery the day after in order to avoid the crowd... But in any case I can relate Halloween with November 1st, although the subject is the same (the dead).
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 12:51:18 pm »
Hi Luth,

I totally agree with the Panda of Doom; at least up to the point where he takes the rocks. :lol3:

Trick or treat is difficult here, too, because most Germans live in apartment houses nowadays. The term is translated as "Süßes, oder es gibt Saures"  ("Sweets, or you get something sour"), by the way. However, kids are doing it more and more frequently. I do think that scaring the kids might not be a bad idea. :evil2: If I only knew, how... playing Britney & friends on my stereo system would be very scary to myself, but the kids might even like it. :afaid:

Now that I think about it... The ultimate horror might be me playing Britney, singing and dancing along. That should do the trick!

Cheers!

Markus
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 12:55:44 pm by Markus »
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 12:57:31 pm »
Markus... this... would... be... terrifying!!!! Horrible!!! Nobody will survive that!   :afaid: :afaid: :afaid:

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 12:58:05 pm »
Süßes, oder es gibt Saures

Wow, it's great to hear you speaking your language!  :pop:

Do you know that Children of Bodom has a Britney Spears cover "Oops, I did it again"? That should do it.  :ninja:

Offline deathdancer

• Revolution Leader
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • So sexy
    • http://vargagrav.com
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 05:32:44 pm »
play them some brutal death music. Slice goat's throat, spill it's blood on the doors an stick it's head on top of yours.  \m/
Life's a bitch... and than you die...

English killer member #3
Therion Society member

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 07:28:01 pm »
Hi there,

Süßes, oder es gibt Saures

Wow, it's great to hear you speaking your language!  :pop:

vielen Dank, Lucy, das ist sehr lieb von Dir. :)

And yes, I heard about the Britney cover by Children of Bodom, but I never heard the tune. However, that should work to scare the kids - and requires less cleaning afterwards than deathy's suggestion. :lol3:

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Elizabeth

• The Elf
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Ahava le haim!
    • http://spaces.msn.com/members/narwen0/
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 07:43:08 pm »
Do you know that Children of Bodom has a Britney Spears cover "Oops, I did it again"? That should do it.  :ninja:
I have it! It's excellent, I cry my eyes out of laughter every time I hear it!  :nosweat:

Thanks Tequila!

I don't trust astrology, because I'm a Gemini and Geminis don't trust astrology. Raymond Smullyan.

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 11:22:24 pm »
Here in Latin Maerica we celebrate mainlya sa tradition in most country the 1st or 2nd (or both) of November as Day of the Dead.
As for Halloween, I've celebrated it as far as I can remember. (Around 8 years ago is the max)
Now, I know it is based on teh old tradition of the Celtic and Germanic New Year also known as the Yule Night.
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2006, 11:35:59 pm »
Now you are scaring me, One,

when you say:

Now, I know it is based on teh old tradition of the Celtic and Germanic New Year also known as the Yule Night.

If that is true, how come that Yule is a solstice celebration?

A frightened "Cheers! :afaid:

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2006, 02:43:28 am »
Now you are scaring me, One,

when you say:

If that is true, how come that Yule is a solstice celebration?

A frightened "Cheers! :afaid:

Markus
Oops... Little mistake, but it was some cultures New Year that made Halloween possible, sorry, little confusion. :biggrin:
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2006, 08:10:05 am »
vielen Dank, Lucy, das ist sehr lieb von Dir. :)

:wub:

off-topic:
Sorry to say that, Markus, but when I was learning German in the school, I didn't like it - we had a terrible teacher. And a few years later, when I was listening to German people talking, I realized that your language is one of the most beautiful languages in the world.