Author Topic: Eclipse on September 7  (Read 6686 times)

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Eclipse on September 7
« on: September 06, 2006, 09:56:13 pm »
Hi folks,

the gods designed another lunar eclipse for the sole purpose of annoying our Chief Anglerfish (as well as the other Americans): It won't be visible from the Americas. The rest of us - enjoy!

Cheers!

Markus Umbraphilus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
Re: Eclipse on September 7
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 12:32:29 am »
Interesting... But wel, I saw a Moon Eclipse when I was 10, with our ome telescope on the roof, so I have nothing to wory about. :biggrin:
There will be a partial Solar Eclipseon the 22nd for people living in Brazil, Guyana, Western Afric and floating on the southern Atlantic Ocean. (I don't know if it will be visible here, though)
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 08:34:56 am »
Hi One,

every eclipse is different, trust me! But you're right, there will be others for your place as well.

You're right about the solar eclipse. :) All you need to know about that one is found here. There you can also check whether it will be visible from your place. It will look most charming from most of Southern America because the sun will rise in partial eclipse - much like what I saw 3 years ago.

I needn't tell you to protect your eyes if you watch the solar eclipse, do I? ;)

Cheers!

Markus Astronomicus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 04:31:01 pm »
the gods designed another lunar eclipse for the sole purpose of annoying our Chief Anglerfish (as well as the other Americans): It won't be visible from the Americas.
:mad3: What is this Markus, another one of your jokes?... invoking the Gods to make an eclypse visible from everywhere but the place where I live? Quiet honestly, I would have prefered to remain ignorant about this one :verymad:
No seriously, enjoy it and take some good pics us if you can :thumbup:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 04:32:53 pm by Aluqak »
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 05:14:25 pm »
Hi Aluqak,

you see, this is the good point about being a High Priest: The gods owe you a favour every now and then. So they easily agreed to create a lunar eclipse invisible from where you live. They even made a solar one invisible from where you live right now, but visible from where you used to live.  :nana:

However, the weather god seems to hate me. I need to sacrifice more people to him, I'm afraid... Goes to check his list of most annoying people.

I won't make any pictures this time, but other folks will for sure.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 09:44:36 pm »
Hi there,

I stood with two astro-friends of mine on top of a small tower in Halle, and we've had it all: Clouds (all over the sky), rain (visible against the bright horizon, just a couple of droplets at our site), lightning (several times on two places on the horizon), media attention (I gave a few short phone-interviews to one radio station), stars (a few of them through occasional cloud-holes). Oh, and there were a few seconds of moon-visibility. The first time was about 22 minutes after maximum eclipse, around 21.13 CEDT - I half scared my buddies off the tower when I screamed with pleased surprise. The second time was just five minutes before the fourth contact, the end of the partial eclipse.

It was amazing to see how the clouds mainly gave view to the Southern part of the moon and still obscured the Northern part most of the time. How could it have been different? The eclipse happened in the North of the moon, so the clouds had to hide that region from us. :mad3: But still, we got a few short glimpses of the eclipsed moon. :yeha:

Anyway, I'll really start sacrificing more people to the weather-god, so he'll do a better job next time.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 06:58:10 am »
I'm sorry for you... we had clouds too...  :mad:

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 12:07:28 pm »
Thank you for the sympathy, Lucy,

but it wasn't that bad at all. I was there with a couple of friends, we did get to see something after all, and it was "only" a partial eclipse. Nearly missing a total one would be worse. Oh, and I still can hope for March 3, 2007 when a total lunar eclipse is visible from here.

Still I found it indecent of the moon to shine brightly in a cloudless sky some 2 hours after the eclipse.

Cheers, anyway!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 02:39:03 pm »
[Thinking to myself] Markus won't forgive me... never  :afaid: [/thinking to myself]

I read the post so fast (lack of time, I was at work when I read...), and I'm so used that Markus explains eclipses months before they happen, that I didn't read the day.

Summarizing: I lost it. At night I heard the weather man speaking about it, and I realized that yesterday was the day.

I think that sky was clear that moment  :bawl:

Hides very very very hidden.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 03:48:32 pm by Luthien »
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 02:47:20 pm »
It was amazing to see how the clouds mainly gave view to the Southern part of the moon and still obscured the Northern part most of the time. How could it have been different? The eclipse happened in the North of the moon, so the clouds had to hide that region from us. :mad3:
Anyway, I'll really start sacrificing more people to the weather-god, so he'll do a better job next time.

Here we had a perfectly clear sky.. not a cloud and the moon was beautifull (a little bit "eclipse-less" but what the hell)... it's always nice to have an anglerfish on the neighborhood to eat all those clouds isn't it? :biggrin:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 05:49:20 pm by Aluqak »
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 03:18:15 pm »
Reads Luth's posting

Bites his lower lip

Reads Aluqak's posting

Bites his upper lip as well

Goes to devastate the city