Author Topic: Latest Member: Spammers_are_stupid  (Read 13398 times)

Offline deathdancer

• Revolution Leader
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • So sexy
    • http://vargagrav.com
Latest Member: Spammers_are_stupid
« on: September 05, 2006, 09:16:38 am »
Latest Member:  Spammers_are_stupid  :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:
This almost looks like new member printing. How did we come to this?   :afaid:
Life's a bitch... and than you die...

English killer member #3
Therion Society member

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Re: Latest Member: Spammers_are_stupid
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 09:36:37 am »
Hi deathy,

:pop: Notessomes in her infinite wisdom instructed her high priest to bestow that name unto the new one.  :pop:

Well, seriously: Sometimes spammers create an NTSMS account with really unpleasant, obscene nicknames. Actually these should get deleted immediately, but for some reason I can only delete members who have already posted something. (Luth doesn't seem to have this particular technical problem.) In such cases I rename the spammers at least so that we don't have their ugly chosen nicknames around.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 01:08:14 am »
Well, there has been no spam lately, so the guy probably just started an account and hasn't used it yet. But, yeah, the name sounds suspicious.
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 08:39:49 am »
Hi One,

I check our site early in the morning and I see the spam before the mods delete it.

Offline Diane

• Metal Mommy
  • Loyal Member
    • Last FM
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 01:43:32 am »
Just about every night I notice a new idiotic  name as a "latest member".   All it's doing is making the membership list grow...   99% of these obviously spammed names aren't here to be a member of the forum...   they're here to be a**holes.   I don't enjoy this forum like I used to.  If it were up to me, I'd get rid of their sorry asses ASAP.     :disgust:

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 03:57:30 am »
Now, that I check it more colsely, there is around 100 new members with idiotic names, that have registered since around last 2 months and that have no posts whatsoever. (perhpas only deleted posts, spam)
What would be a measure that should be taken against this?
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 06:06:45 am »
Almost all those are registered but not confirmated, as they need to activate their membership through mail, and bots don't have this power. Markus and me will delete the non-activated members once and then.

Eve, don't read those names if it upset you so much... we delete them as soon as possible, but we are no (yet) gods to delelte them before they post!  :ninja:
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 07:44:45 am »
Quote:
"2admin,moderators: If you dont want to see us anymore click here"

This is quite a nice one. Hope we'll never see where it ends!  :verymad:

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 08:22:46 am »
Hi folks,

Lucy, such links are only traps to get you to their sites even if normally you wouldn't go. Clicking them only confirms to the spammers that their messages are being read and encourages them.

Eve, don't mind mind the spammers too much. We ARE getting rid of their sorry asses ASAP. As Luth already said, most of them never get to post due to the necessary activitation. Those that do that get deleted immediately. One, that should also answer your question. And if you ask me, the quality of a forum is not defined by the number of spammers trying to get in but by what its real members do (hint, hint :wink2:).

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 08:26:32 am »
Lucy, such links are only traps to get you to their sites even if normally you wouldn't go. Clicking them only confirms to the spammers that their messages are being read and encourages them.

I knew it :) Or maybe it leads to a little program that steals data from your profile? It needs "admin and moderators".

Eve, I hate them too (err... no racism....  :roll-eyes:) and I feel powerless! I can't do anything! That's one of the worst feelings I think.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 09:55:46 am by Lucy »

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 10:20:46 am »
Hi Lucy,

mmmhhh, perhaps they're really trying to steal data. Who knows? It would be stupid to try to find out.

Oh, and there's nothing racist about hating spammers. In fact, I think that raging hatred against spammers is something that unites all of mankind, across all boundaries of gender, ethnicity, sexuality or faith. Imagine: In hatred against spammers, even metalheads and hip-hoppers are united! Thus, all nauseating evil has some good side after all.  :lol3:

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 10:34:44 am »
El pueblo unido hamas sera vencido!

Oh, English topic! Sorry. Translation: "We, people of the united Notessomes Forum will defeat the Evil Hackers of Drugs and after that have an international party under the lunar eclipse with seas of good beer"  :cheers:

Offline Diane

• Metal Mommy
  • Loyal Member
    • Last FM
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2006, 07:37:56 pm »
Now, that I check it more colsely, there is around 100 new members with idiotic names, that have registered since around last 2 months and that have no posts whatsoever. (perhpas only deleted posts, spam)
What would be a measure that should be taken against this?

I suggest the admins or mods stay on top of these intruders by "unsubscribing" them instead of letting them remain as a listed member.  All these "spam" names are doing are adding to the member count of NTSMS.  Some of the names are pretty vulgar.  There's no need for that crap.

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2006, 08:23:23 pm »
Hi Eve,

you're right, of course. The point is simply that there is some weird bug that allows me to delete only members that have posted already. :blink: Apparently Luth doesn't suffer from this particular bug. So if I see a new spammer with an obscene name, sometimes all I can do is rename it to a less offensive one. Sorry for that, but I just can't help it. :bawl:

Anyway, please don't let them spoil your day or your stay here. You'd be missed quite terribly, mommy! Oh, and don't even reply to them. They don't read it, they just leave their foul eggs here, hoping they'll find an occasional idiot to buy from them, but they never return to see the replies. And as soon as a mod sees their postings, they die, anyway, so don't even bother to type a word to them.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Diane

• Metal Mommy
  • Loyal Member
    • Last FM
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2006, 07:49:53 pm »
Hi Markus,

I understand now how that works.  I loved the way you put that...  about leaving their foul eggs.  LOL   Apparently, I must enjoy cracking those eggshells to bits.  I must protect and defend all of you youngsters from evil!      foul egg --->  :chair:  <---  Metal Mommy    haha