Author Topic: Favorite Album...  (Read 36582 times)

Offline Xiquet

Favorite Album...
« on: June 22, 2006, 10:43:32 pm »
Uuufffff, which is my favorite album? This is a very dificult decision...

Really I think that all types of music are well.. (with the exception of someones which sounds how a machines... jijiji).

Some times I prefer listen Rage for example... :party43:

Others... I'm more relaxed and prefer Eric Clapton  :smilies_musik04:

Or remember old times and listen Deep Purple, Gary Moore, Led Zeppelin, BBKing, Metallica, Joe Satriani...  :pop:

Yes.. all are groups play guitar.. I love guitar...  :w00t:  Is my new hooby  :iconmi77kl:

Probably you will listen me playing... (something like 'Antonio Vivaldi'... juas juas juas)... I'm a beginner  :D

See you ;)

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
Favorite Album...
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 08:55:21 pm »
I think everybody knows my fav album... but for those who have recently joined the forum, I'll repeat:

L E M U R I A[/size][/font]

BUT I have to say... lately I'm very stuck to Rage... and I can hear and hear some albums like Ghost or The Speak of the Death or Unity, once and again...

Even so, Lemuria is still my fav.  :blush:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 08:55:47 pm by Luthien »
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Darksong

Favorite Album...
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 07:18:27 pm »
Bathory-Hammerheart
Therion-Vovin
Primordial-A Journey's End
Blind Guardian-Hm...thoughest decision.I'll say Somwhere Far Beyond.
Summoning-Minas Morgul

There is no favourite album,for me.
Hera thee,
Hear my tunes!
Sang from cliffs,
Sang from dunes,
Sang in sorrow...
Sang in rage...
May it fills holes hollow!
May it fills hearts in cage!
In Valhalla thy Journey ends...

Offline melchiah131

Re: Favorite Album...
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 07:09:19 pm »
BLIND GUARDIAN-Nightfall in Middle Earth
CELTIC FROST-To MegaTherion and Into the pandemonium
SAVATAGE-Fight for the Rock
GRAVE DIGGER-Tunes of war
THERION-Live in Midgard
METALLICA-Master of puppets
AC/DC-Let there be Rock
IRON MAIDEN-Fear of the Dark
and Madonna-Like a Virgin.......................................NOT :nana:

Offline lavaniegosII

• The Composer
  • Loyal Member
  • Fly free bird
    • www.myspace.com/ainset
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 07:39:18 pm »
Dissection - Reinkaos

Therion - Secrets of the Runes/Lepaca Kliffoth

Eloy - Floating

Pink Floyd - Atom heart mother

Rotting Christ - Genesis

After Forever - Invisible circles

Black Sabbath - Sabbath bloody sabbath

Sherpa - Guerrero en el desierto

Baron Rojo - Volumen brutal

6 6 6

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 12:35:58 am »
My favorites:
Therion- Lemuria/Sirius B/Theli
Dissection- Reinkaos
Iron Maiden- Powerslave
Metallica- Master of Puppets
Grave Digger- The Last Supper
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Nighthawk

• Life on Mars?
    • Lust.fm
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 05:22:31 pm »
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
[There is no dark side of the moon, really... matter of fact it's all dark.]

Pink Floyd - The Wall
[We don't need no education / We don't need no thought control]

King Crimson - In the court of the Crimson King
[... and smiles as the puppets dance / In the court of the Crimson King]

Therion - Lemuria
[When the sailman's sailing away / He shows that the dream of Lemuria is true]

Demons & Wizards - Touched by the Crimson King
[I'm insane but / Not yet crazy]

The Sisters of Mercy - First and Last and Always
[Give me one good reason / Give me more (amphetamine logic)]

Rush - Moving Pictures
[Always hopeful yet discontent / He knows changes aren't permanent (But change is)]

I'm sure I could find more favorite albums but these are the first that come to mind - albums on which not a single note was spent in vain.

[Mmkay, Fripp in a way laughs in my face in Moonchild, but I'm ignoring that]

I could name a few more albums but won't - Blind Guardian, Fields of the Nephilim & Nick Cave are three artists (or groups of artists) which have suffered a grave injustice just now but will have to live with it, 'cause I just can't make up my mind which album to present as a favorite.

Sorry guys.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 05:24:50 pm by Nighthawk »
Can't stop the signal.

Offline IronCretin

• Every tear I shed/Is for you
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 01:32:44 pm »
Favorite albums. . . Eh?

LoL

Tough. . .

Here's a condensed list, limited to 1 album per band:

~Rainbow~ Rainbow Rising
~Opeth~ Orchid atm, but probably Blackwater Park
~Wintersun~ Wintersun (but hopefully Time will be better. . . *drooool*)
~Black Sabbath~ Black Sabbath
~Audioslave~ Audioslave
~Soundgarden~ BadMotorFinger
~Iron Maiden~ Somewhere in Time
~System of a Down~ System of a Down
~The White Stripes~ The White Stripes

A lot of self-titled albums in there!  Ummm. . . I guess that's it.

~The (Self-Titled) Cretin~

Offline Ortelius

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 01:41:06 am »
I'd consider the following my top ten of really influential metal albums:-

1.  Iron Maiden "Live After Death" - first metal LP I bought at just 16 years old...

2.  Metallica "Master of Puppets" - had this on a shitty cassette, listened to it over-and-over

3.  Slayer "Reign In Blood" - fast, fierce, fanatical, and one-of-a-kind

4.  Kreator "Extreme Aggression" - totally unhinged!  Mille was possessed when he did this!

5.  Celtic Frost "To Mega Therion" - ahead of its time, still relevant, visionary

6.  Pestilence "Consuming Impulse" - top lyrics (Out of the Body!), & Martin van Drunen's voice

7.  Sabbat "Dreamweaver" - the Rolls Royce of concept albums!  Celtic myth and metal!

8.  Therion "Deggial" - mixing metal and orchestras, a potent force!

9.  Dark Angel "Leave Scars" - How Ron Rhinehart sang these impossibly difficult lyrics I don't know - what the hell does "cicatrize" and "lachrymation" mean?  Took me ages to find out!

10.  Sadus "llusions/Chemical Exposure" - Sheer, unbridled aggression anchored by Steve DiGiorgio's killer bass! 

How's that then?   :bow:

Offline Ortelius

Iron Cretin's BadMotorFinger
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 01:55:16 am »
Iron Cretin,

My top 10 albums are pretty much all thrash - if I widen the list to all the music I listen to, I'd have a tough time putting a list together!

Love BadMotorFinger - definitely Soundgarden's best album - as for the best song off that album, I reckon that would be "Room A Thousand Years Wide"

What would you say?

Offline IronCretin

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 04:00:11 am »
Honestly?  It took me a reeeeal long time to get into BadMotorFinger. . . I mean, on the first listen it sounds a little same-y to me. . . but after a lot of listens, well, it grew on me.  After reading about the lyrics, about the vocals, about everything, I've really grown to appreciate it.  I really like Rusty Cage, I mean, it's an incredibly awesome track.  Johnny Cash did a cover of it (I quite like a lot of Cash's work too, if you want to hear it, let me know, I can send it to you, or give you a link for it. . . he makes it his own) and listening to HIS version made me realise how awesome and emotive Soundgarden's original is.  The way it builds?  I LOVE that.  They do it in 'Gun' and 'Like Suicide', two of my favorite tracks from Louder than Love and Superunknown, respectively.  So I think, atm, Rusty Cage is my favorite. . .

BUT:

I also really like Jesus Christ Pose. . . a song with real powerful imagery.  Any song with REAL imagery instantly becomes a classic to me.  Room a Thousand Years Wide is also awesome, esp. that line: "Tomorrow begat tomorrow ~ Begat Tomorrow ~ Begat Tomorrow"  frickin' killer.  Good Eye Closed has one of the coolest intros EVER to ANY song.  "The Devil says *rarrrrrghhh*"  WoW.  Holy Water has some great lyrics.  Drawing Flies caught me on the first listen and was, initially, my favorite. ". . . and drawing fliiiies."  Ummm, and, of course, Outshined. . . which (pardon the pun) really shines.  It was the music video that got me into Soundgarden. . . one of those bands that took me a while to truly appreciate. 

~The (New Word for Hate) Cretin~

Offline Ortelius

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007, 06:11:29 am »
Yep, honestly - I remember driving down to the Gold Coast (lovely Australian beach!) and my friend had BatMotorFinger on the stereo.

He just happened to be playing "Room a Thousand Years Wide" and that's what sold me on that album.  Ditto for everything you said about the various songs on the album.

As for Johnny Cash, back home in Oz I had two vinyl Lps of his - San Quentin and another one.  I think there's a line from a song, "I shot a man just to watch him die" - pretty hardcore I thought at the time.

Got another top ten, this time of death metal:-

1.  Autopsy - "Mental Funeral" - still creeps me out, Chris Reifert is demented.

2.  Celtic Frost - "Monotheist" - terrific return to form, but took a few listens to assimilate!

3.  Death - "Leprosy" - sick, sick, sick - but catchy!

4.  Entombed - "Clandestine" - well put together, love the extra tidbits, samples, voices - "There is no other God!  Satan killed him!  Satan!

5.  Akercocke - "Words that Go Unspoken" - riding high in my iTunes play list; looking forward to the new album - comes out May?

6.  Immolation - "Dawn of Possession" - some weird riffs, a friend said listening to it made him actually, physically sick, to the point he threw up!

7.  Morbid Angel - "Blessed Are the Sick" - saw 'em on tour, '92?  Love "The Ancient Ones"

8.  Nile - "In Their Darkened Shrines" - of the new wave of death metal (nwodm?), all the relapse bands, these guys really got my attention - there are practically two mini-epics on this, "Unas" and the last tracks.

9.  Obituary - "Slowly We Rot" - I bought this based on the cover, thrasher dude dead in the gutter, skin over bone, logo in scything metal, and pus-green album title - contents backed it up...

10.  Therion - "Deggial" - 'coz we're on a Therion site!

Offline IronCretin

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2007, 06:30:05 am »
LoL,  "I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die"  From the song Folsom Prison Blues. . . one of the greatest lines ever.  LoL.  I dunno, to me it's such an introspective line.  My English teacher always used to ask us stuff like: 'Would you ever kill a man?' Not directly like that, but the concepts would be along those lines.  We'd, of course, reply: 'No, Never!'  And he'd reply: 'You'd like to think so, wouldn't you?'  His point was, you never know what u're capable of until you do it.  That line, to me, summarises that whole thing in a sentence.  'I shot a man' a complete anonymity for the victim, 'just to watch him die' highlighting the morbid fascination that everyone seems to have with death. . . Nuts.  LoL. 

I live in Aus, so I know where the Gold Coast is. . . but thx for letting the other Therionites know ;).

Haven't heard much death metal.  I'd like to, as long as it's diverse.  I like Opeth and Wintersun heaps (rank in my favorite bands), but haven't been exposed to much else that I like.

~The (Virgin) Cretin~

Offline Ortelius

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2007, 06:43:37 am »
Interesting analysis!  I'd never paid any attention to Cash - when I was a young 'un, it was strictly metal.  Best thing I ever did was start going through my mum’s record collection - that got me into Elvis Presley, in a big way, and also cash. 

About that not knowing what you're capable of until you do it, I had a nasty encounter with a guy in a pub last night.  He thought he was being a joker, coming over and saying he thought I was in a band - and he wouldn't drop it!  I'm over in Japan, and it's a rarity to get hassled like that - been here 6 years, so it was a real surprise.

Anyway, I could have killed the bastard!  Really pushed my buttons!  But, hey, violence would have made things a whole lot worse, so in the end, I did the right thing. 

Death metal - Opeth are a great intro to the field, especially with their prog touches.  The top ten I posted earlier has a lot of early 90s stuff when death metal was riding high - you might wanna check a few out...  new Celtic Frost is good, very slow and doomy with a kind of Godflesh-y, Bauhaus thing at times, not overly technical, but then, they were never much a band about intricate riffs - more that Frost feel.

Offline BlackWater

• The best cure for the broken heart's its a bullet
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 05:30:59 pm »
well my favorite albums are

Therion - Of Darkness/ Lepaca Kliffoth/ Theli / Secret of the Runes
Demonoid - Riders of Apocalypse
Mercyful Fate - Melissa
Motorhead - Iron Fist / Orgasmatron
Pantera - Vulgar display of Power
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Mortician - Zombie Apocalypse
Bathory - The Return ...
Burzum - Aske / Filosofem
Satyricon - Dark Medieval Times / Rebel Extravaganzza / Volcano

:drunk:
Toda la letra de Draconian Trilogy :D

Offline Sirius13

• R.I.P.
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • RebornThroughHate-We'llSlashYour NecksUntilYouDie
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2007, 05:05:43 pm »
Black Sabbath - Any of:  Black Sabbath, Vol 4, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Sabotage - any of the first 8 really.

Black Sabbath - Heaven & Hell, but even more so Mob Rules.

Coroner - Any of: R.I.P., Punishment For Decadance, No More Colour, Mental Vortex, Grin  - Coroner are a stunning band.

Spiritus Mortis - Spiritus Mortis

Death Angel - Act III

Armored Saint - Symbol Of Salvation

Testament - The Legacy

Savatage - Hall Of The Mountain King

Judas Priest - Sad Wings Of Destiny, Stained Class

Metal Church - The Dark

Meliah Rage - Kill To Survive

Manowar - Battle Hymns, Into Glory ride, Fighting The World, Kings Of Metal

Edit - Deathrow - Raging Steel     ....class!

...there are too many...  I could go on and on...  but the very best albums are those that stand the test of time!  The ones that still give me a buzz or a kick years after their release.  Most of those albums are between 14 and 37 years old!  The only one that is from this century is Spiritus Mortis (2003) - but that album is totally timeless... I know I'll still be listening to it 30 years from now and beyond...  :evil2:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 11:03:41 pm by Sirius13 »
voces muy confusas entran en la mente!!!
www.spiritusmortis.com

Offline Ereshkigal

• Dark Queen
    • http://matsleven.com/, catarsis-metalera.com, metalcritico.com
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2007, 05:05:23 am »
I just noted I never posted on this thread  :disgust:

Let's see...I love now, forever and ever  :wub::

- Amorphis - Elegy
- Pink Floyd - The Wall & Dark Side of The Moon
- Massacre - From Beyond
- Death - Human
- Mercyful Fate - Don't Break the Oath
- Morbid Angel - Covenant, Altars of Madness
- Therion - Theli
- Bathory - Blood Fire and Death
- Borknagar - Quintessence
- Dio - Holy Diver
- Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion
- Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence

I could name more  :biggrin:

Some of them I haven't listened to them in a while, for example Pink Floyd's and Therion's, but when I get a hold of them again I find them so enjoyable  :thumbup:  :wub:

Offline Sirius13

• R.I.P.
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2007, 05:03:53 pm »
- Dio - Holy Diver
- Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion

Both top quality that would slot nicely into my own list!  :)
Listening to To Mega Therion a lot again lately.
www.spiritusmortis.com

Offline Ereshkigal

• Dark Queen
    • http://matsleven.com/, catarsis-metalera.com, metalcritico.com
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2007, 05:46:32 pm »
Hey!  :biggrin:

Yup! I always give them a listen every now and then. I guess at least once a week.

My outstanding tracks of each album:

Holy Diver - Don't Talk to Strangers, Rainbow in the Dark, Caught in the Middle, Holy Diver. Well, all of them! But the before mentioned  :wub:

To Mega Therion - Cyrcle of the Tyrants!  :evil2: Necromantical Screams!!  :evil2: :evil2: THIS is what I call real music!!!

Yours? Anyone else?

Offline Sirius13

• R.I.P.
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2007, 06:09:02 pm »
Hey!  :biggrin:
Ooohgh!  :biggrin:

Holy Diver - Don't Talk to Strangers, Rainbow in the Dark, Caught in the Middle, Holy Diver. Well, all of them! But the before mentioned  :wub:
Don't Talk to Strangers, Invisible, Straight Through The Heart, Shame On The Night, Rainbow in the Dark, Holy Diver...  yes, actually it's all of them!  :lol:

To Mega Therion - Cyrcle of the Tyrants!  :evil2: Necromantical Screams!!  :evil2: :evil2: THIS is what I call real music!!!
Absolutely spot on, CircleOTT and Necromantical Screams have always, always been my faves!!  Plus The Usurper!!  :evil2:
www.spiritusmortis.com