Author Topic: Cool news!  (Read 21444 times)

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Re: Cool news!
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2006, 12:11:26 am »
Hi folks,

I'm a terrible person! We haven't had the themed chat yet, there's no article on Nordic mythology here from me, no photos from the event, and still I'll give another lecture tomorrow. People and the shop owner asked for a second part, so there will be "More stories from Nordic mythology" tomorrow - just before the autumnal equinox. :) The event is announced on the German NB website again, right between  the Blind Guardian and Belphegor news.  :lol3:

I hope you'll wish me luck and mead again. :)

Cheers!

Markus
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 12:36:00 am by Markus »
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline Elizabeth

• The Elf
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Ahava le haim!
    • http://spaces.msn.com/members/narwen0/
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2006, 06:28:55 am »
My best wishes, Markus! Seems like you've got some oratoric hidden talents, since the event (and the success) gets repeated ;)

Cheers!

Thanks Tequila!

I don't trust astrology, because I'm a Gemini and Geminis don't trust astrology. Raymond Smullyan.

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2006, 06:56:27 am »
Don't worry, Markus! Good luck for this lecture too. The shop is really nice! Later you tell us everything  :)

:ninja:
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 07:11:55 am by Lucy »

Offline Elena

• Princess Dream Weaver
  • Loyal Dreamer
    • nemesis corner
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2006, 03:21:02 pm »
Also from me: good luck!! :)
Life it what happens while you wait for your dreams
Joy and beauty dance where open eyes meet
Fortune does not mean to have the best of everything, but to make of everything the best
She loves him more than he would ever now, he loves her more than he would ever show

Never ever victim

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2006, 03:36:32 pm »
Good luck (again) man!
... Hopefully we'll have some photos and full description of the event this time :unsure:

If not... be prepared for a revolution against the power of the church :ninja:
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 06:29:31 pm by Aluqak »
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Sirius13

• R.I.P.
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • RebornThroughHate-We'llSlashYour NecksUntilYouDie
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2006, 05:52:49 pm »
If dont'... be prepared for a revolution against the power of the church :ninja:
Yeh, we won't tolerate any more secrets from the damn church!  Show us the pics or burn!!  :evil2:

...and good luck!  hope it goes great!  :thumbup:
voces muy confusas entran en la mente!!!
www.spiritusmortis.com

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2006, 06:23:36 pm »
Ahem...

AHEEEEM!!!

AHEM!!!!

We want a full report and the all-pictures-album, this time!!!!!!!!!! :bow:

Good luck and...

Why can't I be there (with an universal translator, of course  :unsure: ) ???  :bawl:
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2006, 07:35:10 am »
So, Markus, how are you? Still running?  :)

(I thought we had a High Priest without a church. If we do have a church too, then we need a
 :wicking: REVOLUTION! too.)

(Hmmm... I'm not quite sure about this...)

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2006, 09:59:24 am »
Hi folks,

I'm afraid it didn't go too well this time. :-( Seems I lost my thread a couple of times, and once that happened for the first time I became quite unsure. Halfway through the evening a group of people stood up and left, the noise of which forced to make another break. :bawl: Nah, this time I'm not really satisfied.

Cheers, anyway!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2006, 10:23:38 am »
Don't worry... Next time read only for us! I won't leave  :) (Maybe that group of people saw Aluqak preheating the oven behind your shoulders...)  :afaid:

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2006, 10:46:38 am »
Thanks for the comfort, Lucy,

but I was just kidding you folks. Blessed by Odin's Finding I am - it went very well. I felt quite comfortable, and I got a lot of positive feedback from the audience. One of them told me that my speech was captivating, that he had intended not to stay for long but couldn't leave. Another one said that we almost seemed sect-like to him with lots of people wearing black, one talking and the rest listening attentively. So yes, it was a great success! :)

Some details are to follow, and pics when I get them myself.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2006, 11:34:25 am »
I KNEW IT! I was sure, it HAD to go very well! Congratulations!  :w00t_jump: Can't wait for the photos!

Offline Elizabeth

• The Elf
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Ahava le haim!
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2006, 02:32:50 pm »
Excellent, Markus! I'm very happy for you (and for the audience, of course)  :huglove:

Thanks Tequila!

I don't trust astrology, because I'm a Gemini and Geminis don't trust astrology. Raymond Smullyan.

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2006, 08:44:00 pm »
Hi folks,

you wanted a detailed report, so fetch food & drinks for three days, lean back and enjoy...

Before we actually started, as people were gathering , Matthias played some very nice neo-folk music from CD. That had quite an interesting effect: People out on the street looked into the yard, saw the mostly black wearing audience inside and hurried on. :lol3: That was a pity because most of the metalheads I know are rather friendly in fact.

Then I began my lecture. This time I used some original texts, but I quickly noticed that the listeners found them too difficult, so I changed my plans and returned to telling the stories more in my own words. Those passages that I did read out I summarised and "translated" immediately.

At first I reminded the listener of the things we had talked about on the first Nordic Night because these were supposed to be the background for the upcoming stories. So I told them again of the creation, the enmity between gods and giants, the nine worlds around Yggdrasil. I also reminded them of Thor and his hammer and used this occasion to say a few words about Nordic mythology and nazis / extreme right. I referred to an article in the local newspaper that had called the hammer and the runes nazi symbols comparable to "18" or "88", which is nonsense - Nordic mythology isn't racist, to the contrary. I pointed that out once more so that any guests who might still be unsure about our intentions could calm down and so that any brown-heads present would know they're not welcome. Luckily, there didn't seem to be any.

That said, I continued with newer stories. I told them some nice details about Yggdrasil and then told the sad story of Balder's death in detail. The I told them how Loki fled from the gods after that deed and how they caught and punished him.

After those sad stories I came to more cheerful ones. I told them about the birth of Sleipnir, the Hamarsheimt (Bringing the hammer back home), the Skirnisför (Freyr deeply in love with a beautiful giantess), and finally the journey of Thor and Loki to Utgardloki. The names of these stories may not mean much to you, but they're quite funny in places.

There were short breaks for a little live music on drums strange instruments (monochords, chord instruments with all chords tuned to the same note which gives an interesting sound effect), and as I was talking it got slowly dark on that clear and cloudless late-summer evening.

After the actual lecture we talked a little, and I did get a couple of compliments. :) I also fetched, filled and emptied my horn (then refilled and started again). :D A friend of a friend of mine had made me a horn holder that can be attached to the belt, gave it to me last night and he asked naught for it. But of course I inaugurated it immediately and filled his horn generously with mead. I also gave a lot of mead to another metalhead who had forgotten his horn, and usually I share that drink only with hornbearers. But in this case I made an exception because I still owed that guy a generous draught. :lol3:

The evening was concluded by the fire jugglers that Matthias likes to invite for events like this, and their show was well worth seeing again. Swirling torches and fireballs rising up so big that we would feel their heat on our faces. In the end we were allowed to blow out the torches, and I never needed more than one attempt (unlike some other people I could mention :nana:).

I'll let you see the pics as soon as I get some myself. Until then you can get a good impression if you look at the pics from the first event, at the bottom of this page.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Elizabeth

• The Elf
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Ahava le haim!
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2006, 09:08:30 pm »
Sounds excellent, Markus! Geez... aren't you thinking of moving up to Romania? Then I could see some of these lectures myself (when a Nuclear Blast shop gets opened, of course)  :wOOt:

Anyway... the 18 being a nazi symbol is complete non-sense: that's a Kabbalah symbol which represents life! Each letter of the Hebrew alphabet has an appointed number, so the sum of the letters that form the word "hai" (= life) is equal to 18.

Thanks Tequila!

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2006, 09:14:35 pm »
Hey Liv,

when (now I must say if :() we get to meet I'll be happy to give you folks a similar lecture!

It's true that 18 is used as nazi code because the first and the eighth letter of our alphabet give the initials of Hitler. It's also true that miöllnir anbd the runes are used as nazi symbols as well, but that's an abuse - they don't have any such meaning in themselves.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Diane

• Metal Mommy
  • Loyal Member
    • Last FM
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2006, 10:10:16 pm »
Markus,

Your summary makes it sound like it was a very interesting evening.  Nice job!  Nice pictures, too.  I can't see you very well, though.  Where's that mead horn?   haha   

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2006, 10:30:48 pm »
Thanks a lot for sharing it!!! (but we want more, don't forget!!!!).

It really looks like an event I'd like to assist. Maybe some day, some year, in Vienna...  :nosweat:
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2006, 10:51:28 pm »
Hi folks,

admittedly, Eve, the horn is not seen in those pics. I don't have a photo of it right now, but it's really a beautiful one: About 37 cm between the opening and the tip, measured in a straight line (not counting the curve). The opening is about 6 cm across - rather slim and long and beautifully curved. It's mainly black with delicate bright markings in the uppermost part.

I picked it among several pieces - Matthias was so kind to let me see all horns he had in the shop and allowed me to choose one. Of all the horns I've seen on my buddies I really like mine best. There would only be one reason for me to exchange it: When I find an equally beautiful bigger one. :lol3: Shortly after I had bought mine - which was the biggest kind available back then - NB offered even bigger ones, containing 0.7 litres. Mine takes 0.5 litres, which is quite impressive, too. When I fill it I can just turn the bottle upside down and let most of its content gush into my horn.  :evil2:

Luth, I would really enjoy it very much to give such a lecture to any of you if you're interested. I really hope we'll find an occasion with a decent "warning time" so that many of us can come there.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2006, 07:34:58 am »
Thank you, Markus!

I can see the pictures only later, at home, because that page is forbidden here (reminds me that I'm working?  :unsure:)
Don't worry about having a not-too-big horn: you can lift it easily, it's not as heavy as (metal  :)) the other horns. And you can drink more horns of mead with a smaller horn  :)