Author Topic: Cool news!  (Read 21445 times)

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Cool news!
« on: January 26, 2006, 07:30:33 pm »
Hi folks,

I got some cool news that I just have to share with you: I was asked to give a public lecture about Nordic mythology & runes to metal fans. :D

I may have told you that two months ago an NB store opened in my home town. The owner is a friendly and open guy who you easily get talking to. We talked about his store, I helped him with a little computer problem he had, I got some coffee (no cookies, though :lol:). We chatted about this and that and also about Therion and Nordic motives in metal in general. Then the idea struck him to organize a public lecture about this and he asked me if I would like to do it. Hell, sure I want! (You know I also give lectures at the local planetarium. In fact, this is something I enjoy very much.)

And then the ideas just gushed forth. One of his store neighbours is an art gallery with whom he has worked together before, so they might join with pictures on the topic. Some catering would be needed, so he wants to talk to a pub owner and also to a friend of his who has contacts to the "medieval market" scene. There will be met, of course! :iconmi77kl:

He wants to do it in summer, when the nights are warm so we can use the little yard his shop is in, so the date came quite naturally. You guess it - summer solstice!

I just had to tell you, folks. Thanks for listening and cheers!

Markus

Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
Cool news!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 07:46:53 pm »
Hey man!
That sounds pretty cool. Congrats and good luck with it. I must admite that I'd really like to be there, but I'll probably be in a meeting at Vancouver at that time of the year, so not possibly. Besides, something tells me that your lecture is going to be in German, and my knowledge of that language is almost inexistent... so impossible from that side too :(.
Good luck though, and please give us some highlights and resumés of your lecture. I'd really like to know what are you going to include on it :).
Cheers!
A.
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline deathdancer

• Revolution Leader
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • So sexy
    • http://vargagrav.com
Cool news!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 08:10:42 pm »
Good for you Markus!!! :iconmi77kl:
Life's a bitch... and than you die...

English killer member #3
Therion Society member

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Cool news!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 08:37:15 pm »
Hi Aluqak,

yes, it will be held in German. I could do it in English as well. Then you could understand me, but most of the other visitors wouldn't. :(

So far I intend to structure it like this: Creation, Nine Worlds, Early Times (Making of Mjöllnir & Co, Breed ofJarnveden), Ragnarök, The Runes. Mjöllnir and the runes are of special importance because they appear on metal artwork rather often and we want people to understand the background a bit.

I hope someone will make digital pictures. In that case I'll post some when the time has come.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
Cool news!
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 08:42:55 pm »
Wooow!!! That's so cool! I'd like to be there too! (with an universal translator...). You're a lucky man, Markus, you will offer a public lecture about a subject you enjoy so much and to people who will love it!

We want pictures, of course, or you will DIE!!!!

PD. If there're cookies in the catering... maybe I magically appear  there  :rolleyes:
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Sirius13

• R.I.P.
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • RebornThroughHate-We'llSlashYour NecksUntilYouDie
Cool news!
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 12:11:52 am »
Markus that's so cool!   :iconmi77kl:

I wish I could be there, it would be great!  I have an interest in both the mythology and the RL history of the good old vikings, and I really think I'd enjoy it!  (and the cookies, of course!  :) ).

Hehe, my German is pretty poor though, so like Aluqak I'd probably need an English version.  (And German is probably my strongest non-english language too, man my language skills suck!  :blush: )

Anyway, please keep us informed  - it would be great to see some pictures and hear in more detail about some of the themes that you decide to cover.

voces muy confusas entran en la mente!!!
www.spiritusmortis.com

Offline TheOFFman

• Leader of the Brave
  • Loyal Dreamer
Cool news!
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 11:13:30 pm »
And put Secret of the Runes to play before or after that!  :smilies_musik04:

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Cool news!
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 11:52:01 pm »
Hi OFFy,

And put Secret of the Runes to play before or after that!  :smilies_musik04:
[snapback]6574[/snapback]

Thats exactly what I'm planning to do. :D I intend to play SOTR while people come in and take their places and then use that as an introduction to the topic. I'll also quote SOTR lyrics a copule of times, but also Douglas Adams (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) once.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline TheOFFman

• Leader of the Brave
  • Loyal Dreamer
Cool news!
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2006, 11:29:08 am »
I'd like to be there Markus!  ^_^

Offline deathdancer

• Revolution Leader
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • So sexy
    • http://vargagrav.com
Cool news!
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2006, 11:38:17 am »
Markus, buy yourselfe a video-camera and record it all!!!
Life's a bitch... and than you die...

English killer member #3
Therion Society member

Offline Ereshkigal

• Dark Queen
    • http://matsleven.com/, catarsis-metalera.com, metalcritico.com
Cool news!
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2006, 02:51:26 pm »
Wow! Congrats Markus! Seems it was your lucky day, and you have lots of time to prepare. I bet it's gonna be a kick-ass lecture ^_^

I also thought about it being recorded when I first read yourr post, but then again I know pea about German  :bawling:

But I wish you good luck!

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Cool news!
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2006, 08:08:36 pm »
Hi folks,

here's an update: I visited the shop-owner again today and was told that he'll ask the landlord of the shop for permission tomorrow, but he's quite optimistic. The shops are in a small arcade that goes off a pedestrian precinct, and the arcade owner - his landlord - should be glad about every event that makes his arcade more well-known.

I also talked to the owner of the little art shop who wants to join, too. She was a bit worried at first: She never had to do with metalheads before and was a bit frightened by the symbolics, the hard music etc. and also feared that the topic might attract neonazis and similar scum. I talked to her for quite a while (and fixed her broken email-account in passing :D) - now she seems to be looking forward to it. I'll tell her about the large frame of Nordic mythology, about Thor's hammer and the runes in March. She's very interested to hear the meaning of a symbol before using it in her art, and I like that about her. If she didn't care the symbols would not come out right in her art, but if she knows about the meaning I bet there will be some very nice pieces.

Oh, and the copies of Karlsson's "Uthark" that the shop owner had ordered have arrived, and he lent me a copy immediately. I browsed it in the shop already and liked Karlsson's style. What I read so far confirms what I have deduced from the lyrics and other sources. :)

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
Cool news!
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2006, 09:46:39 pm »
Eya Markus!

I can see that you're really enjoying that... I envy you so much, and I would like so much to assist there (if I would have some german translator or, if not, an Universal Translator...). Maybe your path is to convert people into Metal, into Therion, into Runes... Keep on your way, you're doing it well  :iconmi77kl:
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Cool news!
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 06:45:26 am »
Hi folks,

tomorrow is the big day. :w00t:

The preparations went quite well. The art turned out very nice; the lady even gave me a picture of Eiwaz as a present to thank me for explaining her everything. :) Matthias, the shop-owner, organised mead as promised. The weather is supposed to be fine, with only short showers in the worst case. Oh, and there's even a note on the German NB-homepage (under news - Various Artists). :D

Keep your fingers crossed for me - I'll report how it went.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
Cool news!
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 07:33:02 am »
Very good luck Markus, oh High Priest!!!

And don't forget to record all!!!!  :ph34r:

Offline Elizabeth

• The Elf
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Ahava le haim!
    • http://spaces.msn.com/members/narwen0/
Cool news!
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2006, 08:54:30 am »
May Fortuna be with you, Markus!  :notworthy:

Thanks Tequila!

I don't trust astrology, because I'm a Gemini and Geminis don't trust astrology. Raymond Smullyan.

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Cool news!
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2006, 09:52:16 am »
Thank you, friends!

I'll make sure to get a generous draught of Odhrörir, the mead of poets. :D I'll also make sure you get to see some pics of the event.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
Cool news!
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2006, 01:31:40 pm »
Good luck!
And please, keep us informed ;)
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Darksong

Cool news!
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2006, 01:31:46 pm »
Hey,good luck!
I agree with Aluqak-make suma sumarum for us here,so we could understand wse words of our forum mate!
And inform Chris aout it.
I doub't he would come in such a short time,but just in case!
Good luck,Tiwaz!
Hera thee,
Hear my tunes!
Sang from cliffs,
Sang from dunes,
Sang in sorrow...
Sang in rage...
May it fills holes hollow!
May it fills hearts in cage!
In Valhalla thy Journey ends...

Offline Sirius13

• R.I.P.
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • RebornThroughHate-We'llSlashYour NecksUntilYouDie
Cool news!
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2006, 04:14:21 pm »
Good luck Markus!!  :D

I hope you have a great evening...  and make sure you tell us all about it!  :ph34r:
voces muy confusas entran en la mente!!!
www.spiritusmortis.com