Poll

What do you prefer? And explain your option!!!

Be legal, ever. It's principles question
2 (8.7%)
Downloading, ever.
2 (8.7%)
I download and, if I find it worth of it, I buy the CD
11 (47.8%)
All depends on my pocket
4 (17.4%)
I prefer to buy the original CD, but I finally download it...No money, you know
4 (17.4%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Download... or be legal?  (Read 14149 times)

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
Download... or be legal?
« on: August 10, 2005, 02:54:27 pm »
Ok, maybe a poll is not the best choice, as there can be a lot of options. That's the reason why I ask for an explanation. Don't lie to NTSMS goddess... Notessomes!!!

For me, internet has was a big discovery. Sorry to say that, but I'm sincere: I download almost all music I have. If not, I would never have all music I have, more when I have very few metal friends and I had to discover all for my own. So, I search for reviews, or I ask people for music of stytles I like, I download and, if what I've get is good, I download more.

Maybe it's no a thing to be proud, but only orginal metal CD I have is the Lemuria/Sirius B digipack (btw... signed after the concert in Barcelona :P )

Mmhhh... my own reply has given me an idea for a new topic

*rushes to create new topic*
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
Download... or be legal?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 03:38:14 pm »
I ususally download music and then buy the CD if I like it a lot, and by a lot I mean A LOT!
However, it depends on the price of the CD. Here in Canda most of the good metal CD's are imported, and imported CD's are far more expensive than those made in North America. I usually download most of the imported... unless they are less than 30$can which is the maximum ammount I'd pay for a CD. The other option is to exchange music with friends. I have discovered a lot of bands and get many CD's that way.
I have proudly bought most of Therion'S (excepting Crowning of Atlantis and Deggial), Dark Tranquillity's and Suidakra's CDs... mmm all of them made by Century Media and Nuclear Blast... it has to be a correlation here. However, internet is still the main source of my music (at least metal).
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Sirius13

• R.I.P.
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • RebornThroughHate-We'llSlashYour NecksUntilYouDie
Download... or be legal?
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 07:16:59 pm »
I buy everything, and I never download anything.  It's just that I like all the booklets too, and all the CD's look good in my collection  :) .  I am too lazy to burn a CD, and I like to just put stuff in the car when I feel like it.  I never listen to music on any 'gadgets', because I detest headphones, so audio files are irrelevant to me.

That's just me.  

I also get sent promos, but when these are CD's that I would have bought anyway, I still buy the finished product.  For example I have been listening to the new Arcturus and the new Cathedral CD's for a couple of weeks now  - but I will still buy both of these CD's when they come out.

EDIT:  I didn't vote in the poll, because for me it's more about preferences than principles.  I am a bit of a collector too  - you'd be proud of my Sabbath collection, all standard album releases on both Vinyl and CD, many imports, singles, rarities compilations, and many signed and dedicated to me too!  Haha, I love it, and of course it couldn't be that way on mp3's!   :D
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 07:21:09 pm by Sirius13 »
voces muy confusas entran en la mente!!!
www.spiritusmortis.com

Offline Carlios

• http://
Download... or be legal?
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 07:41:38 pm »
Well, the internet opened a huge world of music to me... I suddenly discovered a lot of bands I didn't knew existed (Rhapsody, Edguy, Avantasia, Epica, After Forever, The Sins of thy Beloved, Ayreon, etc.).

First I started by downloading a song or two, but then I downloaded complete records... But I only buy it if I like it, if I don't I erase it... if I don't have enough money to buy it, I save until I can... usually in a record store metal cd's are really expensive, compared to mainstream ones, so I usually buy them at a flea market :P ...

Strangely enough, if I like the cd, and if I know I'll buy it eventually I try not to listen it on the computer, because it might ruin the moment when I listen it first on my cd player (you know, that spontaneous head banging and air guitar when you first hear a new amazing solo :P )

But still I'd rather have an original cd, than a downloaded copy form the net... I don't know why, I think it's like Sirius' said, the booklet, and looking at your complete cd collection, and the smell and feeling of a brand new cd... :blush:

Que la Ancylotoma duodenale te Acompañe / May the Ancylostoma duodenale be with You[/b][/u][/size][/font]

Offline Ereshkigal

• Dark Queen
    • http://matsleven.com/, catarsis-metalera.com, metalcritico.com
Download... or be legal?
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 04:04:54 am »
My situation is due to my pocket.

I wish I had all the money to buy all the cd's I want. I want many atm  :(  I first dl and check out the band, I do not like to risk 20$ for a cd I won't like. Right now I am poor :( I do not have a job, and I've been wanting so much so many cd's. Today I went to the record store, I saw Amorphi's "Elegy" for 15 bucks, but right now I cannot afford :( So even if I think the dl is worth to buy I couldn't :(

/me robs a bank  :ph34r:

Offline axe72bcn

Download... or be legal?
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 07:47:57 pm »
All depends on my pocket.

I am not rich, so i combine the two ways, downloading and buying.

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
Download... or be legal?
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 07:57:55 pm »
I have already replied here, so I only want to say...

Today I've calculated how many money have I saved by downloading CDs... or said in other way, how much would be cost all the CDs I have? (now, more or less 300). 18 € per CD (it's expensive, but there is the usual prize, I think...) x 300 = 5400 €!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:blink:  :huh:  :blink:  :o  :ph34r:
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Morrigan

Download... or be legal?
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 08:05:36 pm »
All depends on my pocket.

I usually spend my money for CDs that I already know or for those CDs that every good metaller must have (but I've not a lot of money... ).
Sometime I download a cd and, if I like it, then I buy it.
Unfortunately in my town there are only very small music-shops (:(), so I have to buy what I like by Internet
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 08:09:10 pm by Morrigan »

"It is the gods who weep. They see us killing each other over and over since time began. They can't save us from ourselves. ... Men prefer sorrows over joy, suffering over peace. ... they revel in pain and bloodshed. They celebrate murder." (Ran)

Offline Wormaap

Download... or be legal?
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005, 11:42:46 pm »
Usually I download, but what's worth it, I buy, if I have the money. I have, for example, some legal Therion CDs, but also some downloaded ones. From Children of Bodom, the only legal one I have is the newest one, Are You Dead Yet? (or well... Preordered it, should arrive this monday :D)
So I try to support the bands by buying their CDs, but I can't usually afford it.

Offline Rat Cornu

Download... or be legal?
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2005, 09:31:57 pm »
Actually, i download, but not for price reasons... I'm kinda lazy you know, so need to get out to have the cd, this is hell tiring. I prefer stay at home and wait for an hour to get it...

Though i bought some...

Offline Phanta

• http://maisquedesraca.rg3.net
Download... or be legal?
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 10:46:50 pm »
I do buy CDs, but it would be impossible to buy everything that's on my hd

Most CDs I have heare either ones i really love  (like Secret of The Runes) or from local bands

Offline ViruS

• NTSMS Football Freak
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Soldier
Download... or be legal?
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 11:24:23 pm »
:D  Don't control my Pc pls :blush:  all my cd's are hacked
       I do recomand some programs to get started .. ODc , torrents ajjajjajaa ... for stealing mp3, albums wtvr you need from the web :P  .For any problems just buzz me.
       I don't buy original cd's audio from stores i only download Muhahhahh

Offline Black Wolf Fenrir

Download... or be legal?
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2006, 12:42:27 am »
I downloaded most of music I have... or I bought it in Russia where the price for cd's is 5-10 euro...
 I can't buy a cd of an unknown band for 20 euro... What should I do with it if at the end I don't like it at all? Recently in shops you can't listen to samples from rare and not "famous" Cds.
So I download and then if I like it i will buy it.
For example I have all cd's of my fav bands are legal...

Offline Ereshkigal

• Dark Queen
    • http://matsleven.com/, catarsis-metalera.com, metalcritico.com
Download... or be legal?
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2006, 04:38:58 pm »
Lately things are going good for me, so I've been able to buy many new things  :D, but I still download, once can't have it all   <_<

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
Download... or be legal?
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2006, 01:11:09 pm »
I'm happy for you, Eresh! I can remember what a feeling is not having a job...
I choose the most popular one: after downloading, if I like the music, I buy it (if my pocket let me to do it).

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
Download... or be legal?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2006, 04:05:15 pm »
As I can only get money off my parents, I download. The only original metal CDs I have are the Sirius B digipack and Rhapsody's Power of the Dragonflame.
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Nighthawk

• Life on Mars?
    • Lust.fm
Re: Download... or be legal?
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2007, 08:04:40 pm »
Since my monetary situation is more dire than the middle-eastern crisis, buying cds is somewhat of an utopistic idea to me.

Don't get me wrong - if prices here were a little more reasonable (like the old vinyl prices were), I'd go on a shopping spree this very moment.

Seeing as that's not the case and I don't travel abroad.... ever... legally acquiring albums remains something I have to put on my to-do list.

And, darn it, I never get around to composing that damn list. /maybe after I sod off college and put a bestseller out.../

/erm, to make things worse, that last bit isn't really irony/
Can't stop the signal.