Author Topic: The Seven Ages of Rock  (Read 27274 times)

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
The Seven Ages of Rock
« on: April 12, 2008, 11:17:33 pm »
Hi my beloved Notessomes followers!

Do you know about a BBC documentary series called "The Seven Ages of Rock"? Now I'm watching it, and I think it's very interesting. It's formed by 7 chapters, and just now I've seen the 4th, the one about heavy metal  :fireevil: I've enjoyed it a lot, although it was too short (45 minutes). The first chapter was about how rock was born from rhythms like blues; the second one, about psychodelia; 3rd, about punk; 4th, about heavy metal  :ninja:. The next one is about "stadium bands", like Kiss and U2. The other 2, I don't know yet  :insane:

If you can search for the serie (emule or whatever), do it... I think you'll like it. The documentary can't be too exhaustive, as there is not long enough, but it gives some important points interesting to be known, specially for those like me with so poor musical knowledge  :lol3:

Anybody already knows it?

PS. The very weak point of the metal chapter: Therion was not included (in fact, it ended with Metallica  :whistle: ).
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Sirius13

• R.I.P.
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • RebornThroughHate-We'llSlashYour NecksUntilYouDie
Re: The Seven Ages of Rock
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 01:01:56 am »
Hi Luthy,

This was shown here in England some time ago.  I didn't watch the whole series, just the Metal one.  As I recall, it wasn't too bad for a mainstream production, but as you say, there's too little time to cover a lot of material.

As you say, the period in that episode didn't go right up to present day - and I didn't see any later episodes, so I don't know if they covered anything more modern. 

As I recall, they started in the correct places:  Sabbath  :bow:  Priest  :bow:
voces muy confusas entran en la mente!!!
www.spiritusmortis.com

Offline saphira

• Queen of dragons
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Nothing is trivial...
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 08:41:33 am »
Hey this sounds very interesting!  :wOOt: I think I've heard smth about this before...I'll try to find it ..I had some presentation of metal music in last year of primary school..also started with Sabbath and Priest..included Iron Maiden..Anthrax, Megadeth, Slayer, Venom, Napalm Death,...Morbid Angel and....Canibal Corpse...maybe some more..  :unsure: can't recall..
It can't rain all the time so put a smile on your face and proudly take another step.

The time of dragons will come again...
THERION - Till the day I die!

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 09:57:11 am »
Indeed, they started with Black Sabbath and UK, and after that, Judas Priest. The bad thing is that the program finishes with Metallica... but 45 minuts can't do more, I suppose. I learned some interesting things about Ozzy, about the guitarrist of Black Sabbath (without the tip of the fingers), about the trial against Judas for two suicides (I knew something about it, but I learned more here)... A pity they didn't covered Therion  :evil2:
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 10:04:14 am »
I think I saw this document  :blink:
But then again, who does.

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 08:44:28 pm »
Hey there!
Talking about documentaries. Have you seen this one: Metal: A headbanger's journey by Sam Dunn.
I meet the director (a nice Canadian fellow) a couple years ago in the premier in Québec City... and well, I think his portray of Metal is pretty good. Even my g.f., who is not into metal at all, liked it and learned a couple of things that helped her to increase her respect about metal. :thumbup:
Anyway, I know that Sam was preparing two more documentaries, one about the way metal is perceived around the world (Global Metal or something like that) and another one about Maiden... keep an eye on those guys!
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 08:59:34 pm »
I did  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
But then again, who does.

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 09:53:34 pm »
I also wacthed that one, and honestly, I loved it.
In fact, I think it was me who recomended it to you, right Kris? :biggrin:
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 06:45:26 pm »
Hey there!
Talking about documentaries. Have you seen this one: Metal: A headbanger's journey by Sam Dunn.
I meet the director (a nice Canadian fellow) a couple years ago in the premier in Québec City... and well, I think his portray of Metal is pretty good. Even my g.f., who is not into metal at all, liked it and learned a couple of things that helped her to increase her respect about metal. :thumbup:
Anyway, I know that Sam was preparing two more documentaries, one about the way metal is perceived around the world (Global Metal or something like that) and another one about Maiden... keep an eye on those guys!

Downloading it... and it says "spanish subtitles"... will be it true?  :whistle:

EDIT: I've previewed it (I only have the 30%, but I was able to see two minutes  :lol3: ), and it seems really interesting  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 07:15:09 pm by Luthien »

Offline lavaniegosII

• The Composer
  • Loyal Member
  • Fly free bird
    • www.myspace.com/ainset
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 03:50:19 am »
I watched the episode 2 about Art Rock: Pink Floyd, the velvet underground, david bowie, genesis, etc. Very interesting.
6 6 6

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 03:26:21 pm »
Yesterday I watched "Metal: A Headbanger's journey". It's a very interesting documentary, I can say. I found a couple of weak points, but the general impression is that I've learned a lot of things, and that this guy is really into metal and into sociology. The weak points, IMHO, are: the "genealogical tree" he made about the metal genres (I think it's impossible to do it and don't get killed by nobody who thinks exactly the contrary than you), and the fact that he only talks about the "really metal fan", that who lives metal, drinks metal, dances metal, wears metal and dies metal. What about people like me, who really enjoys metal, but has no poster in my bedroom, only wears metal when puts a Therion T-shirt, and uses to play more music than metal?  ¬¬

Eeehhhrmmm... fully recommendable.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 03:44:05 pm by Luth »

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 03:43:10 pm »
And she actually happens to be the Great Evil Queen of a nice metal forum. :D

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 03:45:06 pm »
And she actually happens to be the Great Evil Queen of a nice metal forum. :D

Yup... and she happens to have put ears on the walls to avoid the 19484575993th revolution  :ninja:

Offline Loke

• Twisted Bard
  • let the twisted pipes blow
    • me
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 07:27:19 pm »

Punk and trash metal were my fav parts, though i think they might have wanted to add some harder sounds , it was enjoyable nonetheless.

yo yo yo
Scripta Manet

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 07:03:14 pm »
I've just watched the second movie from the author of "A Headbanger's Journey": "Global Metal". This documentary talks about metal all around the world: India, China, Japan, Dubai, Brasil, Israel (yup, the guy talked with Kobi  :biggrin: )... A fully recommendable movie, perhaps more than the first one. I loved it!! Please, watch it if you like metal (if you don't watch it, I'll ban you from here FOREVER, BWAHAHAHAHAH!!!!).

Siriusly talking ( :evil2: ), it's a great documentary, as it helped me to understand a lot of things and discover new ones... And I envy sooooo much this guy! He travels all around the world to do the two things he likes the most: anthropology and metal... I die of envyyyyyy  :fish:

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 07:21:25 pm »
Yeah, I watched it recently as well. Highly recommendable. :thumbup:
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Mystique

• Butterfly Faerie
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Madness takes its toll.
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008, 07:23:38 pm »
I downloaded that show quite a while ago, but somehow I never watched it  :unsure: I guess I should, since you're all saying how awesome it is...  :unsure:
For a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down!

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2008, 07:27:40 pm »
WATCH IT! IT'S AN ORDER!!!!  :ninja:

:nana:

Offline Sirius13

• R.I.P.
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • RebornThroughHate-We'llSlashYour NecksUntilYouDie
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2008, 07:41:24 pm »
voces muy confusas entran en la mente!!!
www.spiritusmortis.com

Offline Mystique

• Butterfly Faerie
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Madness takes its toll.
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2008, 07:43:29 pm »
Siriusly talking

:wOOt: :fish:

LOL! :lol3: haha you crazy zombie! xD

@Luth:  :afaid: if it's an order, then I must!

:lol:
For a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down!