Author Topic: Now reading...  (Read 245638 times)

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
Re: Now reading...
« Reply #140 on: March 18, 2008, 06:46:25 pm »
"1984" was worse... for me it was much more depressing than this book... but both of them are well written :)
But then again, who does.

Offline Sigvarthdottir

• live. learn. grow.
« Reply #141 on: March 24, 2008, 01:56:28 pm »
Diálogo de Vultos by Fernando Ribeiro ..
well, the only problem is..that I can´t speak portugese well.. but..who cares?  ^_^
Fade out.

Offline deathdancer

• Revolution Leader
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • So sexy
    • http://vargagrav.com
« Reply #142 on: March 24, 2008, 09:27:00 pm »
A friend gave me a book... It's printed from net. He didn't give me the title page so I don't know what I'm reading, he will tell me when I read it all  :fish:
Life's a bitch... and than you die...

English killer member #3
Therion Society member

Offline saphira

• Queen of dragons
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Nothing is trivial...
« Reply #143 on: March 30, 2008, 08:50:05 am »
Again reading..Tracy Chevalier : Girl with a pearl earring and  also just started F. Dürrenmatt : Die Physiker(the last, 4th book for matura exams)
It can't rain all the time so put a smile on your face and proudly take another step.

The time of dragons will come again...
THERION - Till the day I die!

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #144 on: March 30, 2008, 09:18:30 am »
I adore that book about the painting! Well I love all Johannes Vermeer's paintings! :D
I have read the book many times and movie + soundrack I bought both (unfortunatelly the soundtrack has someone else - she lost the cd)...

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #145 on: April 24, 2008, 10:15:15 pm »
Jack London's "The Star Rover".

I know I should read some books for my studies but these are not possible to read in the public traffic. So I always read something non-study in public traffic (further only MHD). This book was recommended to me years ago. Today I finally got it and it seems very great to me.

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
« Reply #146 on: April 25, 2008, 01:23:44 am »
Just finished the memoir "Night" by Elie Wiesel, Nobel Peace Prize Winner.
I almost cried while reading it. :unsure:
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #147 on: April 25, 2008, 11:38:29 am »
After all Your words You told me about the book - it seems very good to me but exactly not much good for my hyper-sensitive soul  :D

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #148 on: April 26, 2008, 03:29:16 am »
After all Your words You told me about the book - it seems very good to me but exactly not much good for my hyper-sensitive soul  :D
It has quite a few very strong parts, like when the Nazis are executing people... :ninja:
Not a book for people with heart problems or sensitive souls.
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
« Reply #149 on: April 27, 2008, 07:46:12 am »
I finished Castaneda's A separate reality - Further conversations with don Juan. I read it in English and it was quite difficult, I didn't understand it fully... I have to read it again or find it in Hungarian.

Right now I'm reading Anna and the king of Siam by Margaret Landon, in Hungarian. Anna and the king is one of my favourite movies... :blush: I'm curious to see if I will like the book better, as always, or the film. :)

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #150 on: April 27, 2008, 02:35:10 pm »
I think that reading in Hungarian will be much better :) I am sure I could not understand much if I read Castaneda in English :)

Anna and the King (: I loved that movie. I had it on videocassete but as I do not have a tv anymore I do not use the vidorecorder either.
I think that better would be if You read the book before seeing the movie cause the fantasy has much more space than but - I understand not always it is possible to read a book before seeing a movie.

I think the book will be better as usual. But the movie is great also especially Jodie Foster...

The Star Rover I read now is simply great book. Very good. I think soon it will near the top of my favourite books.

Offline Mystique

• Butterfly Faerie
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Madness takes its toll.
« Reply #151 on: May 05, 2008, 02:38:59 pm »
Reading Hamlet.
I was going through my books yesterday and I found this book with some Shakespeare's tragedies and the Hamlet is I think the first tragedy on the list so I started reading it even though it was not my intention to actually read the whole thing...I was only planning on going through the book, just to see...to remember...but I ended up reading the half of Hamlet...didn't get to anything else :P...so now I have to finish it :D
For a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down!

Offline saphira

• Queen of dragons
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Nothing is trivial...
« Reply #152 on: May 05, 2008, 03:22:59 pm »
Hey Hamlet is the best book on this earth!  :bow: I love it!
Now I'm reading all the four books I need tomorrow for my slovene matura exam-essay..boring..except..Tartuffe..well and maybe Die Physiker..
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 03:26:24 pm by saphira »
It can't rain all the time so put a smile on your face and proudly take another step.

The time of dragons will come again...
THERION - Till the day I die!

Offline NeMo

• The Banned One
« Reply #153 on: May 08, 2008, 05:07:11 pm »
Reading Hamlet.

What Bart Simpson said for Hamlet: "All characters dead and the play is boring... only Shakespeare could do that!" :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Btw, I like Shakespeare. :) Misti I recommend you to read "Titus Andronicus". :thumbup: If you liked Sweeney Todd and that South Park episode "Scott Tenorman must die" you'll definitely like Titus Andronicus too. ;D

Quote from: Wikipedia
Titus Andronicus may be Shakespeare's earliest tragedy, believed written sometime between 1584 and the early 1590s. The play is by far Shakespeare's bloodiest work. The play lost popularity during the Victorian era because of its gore, and has only recently begun to revive its fortunes.
I Miskolc!

Offline Mystique

• Butterfly Faerie
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Madness takes its toll.
« Reply #154 on: May 08, 2008, 06:17:15 pm »
I love Shakespeare...but unfortunately I own only Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, Othello and King Lear...also read A Midsummer's night dream (which is btw my all time favourite)

Misti I recommend you to read "Titus Andronicus". :thumbup: If you liked Sweeney Todd and that South Park episode "Scott Tenorman must die" you'll definitely like Titus Andronicus too. ;D

Yes, I've heard about it, but I never knew these details  :D

Quote from: Wikipedia
The play is by far Shakespeare's bloodiest work. The play lost popularity during the Victorian era because of its gore, and has only recently begun to revive its fortunes.

I must say you got me pretty intrigued so I'll make sure to borrow it from the library... :D

as soon as I renew my membership
  :nosweat:
For a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down!

Offline lavaniegosII

• The Composer
  • Loyal Member
  • Fly free bird
    • www.myspace.com/ainset
« Reply #155 on: May 08, 2008, 07:05:24 pm »
I finished Castaneda's A separate reality - Further conversations with don Juan. I read it in English and it was quite difficult, I didn't understand it fully... I have to read it again or find it in Hungarian.

I really liked this book, but I prefer from Journey to Ixtlan and the next ones ;), because in the 2 firsts books the allucinogen theme is very strong and that is not so "funky" for me. I prefer the path of the warrior theme :)
6 6 6

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #156 on: May 08, 2008, 07:20:24 pm »
I also not so much for hallucinogens so I think from 3rd book it is better. :) But I liked to read the previous ones to - just to be in picture :)

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #157 on: May 09, 2008, 01:59:33 am »
"Of Mice and Men", the last book in my English curriculum this year. :biggrin:

Offline lavaniegosII

• The Composer
  • Loyal Member
  • Fly free bird
    • www.myspace.com/ainset
« Reply #158 on: May 09, 2008, 06:59:12 am »
I also not so much for hallucinogens so I think from 3rd book it is better. :) But I liked to read the previous ones to - just to be in picture :)

+1
6 6 6

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
« Reply #159 on: May 09, 2008, 08:34:58 am »
Actually, I liked those parts too... :blush: And especially the parts connected to water. :)