Author Topic: Now reading...  (Read 244867 times)

Offline deathdancer

• Revolution Leader
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • So sexy
    • http://vargagrav.com
Now reading...
« on: August 17, 2007, 12:50:28 pm »
Hope there isn't a topic like this somewhere lost.
If there is "Now playing", why not "now reading"?

I am now reading:
Song of Ice and Fire: Clash of Kings (that is the second book in series) by George R. R. Martin

I'm at the page about 700 of 800.
The book is amassing.

It is a fantasy book, time is about middle age
It has lots of main characters, and it is very realistic. Person you think is a main character suddenly dies in most absurd ways, and another character takes it's place.
It is full of wars, lies, plots, adventures, games of destiny...

It reminds me of LOTR, but it isn't so black & wight (orcs and man). Every almost every character has good and bad sides.

What book are you reading, what is it about?
Life's a bitch... and than you die...

English killer member #3
Therion Society member

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
Re: Now reading...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 01:15:17 pm »
Genial! :bow: Thank you for this topic!

I’m reading a book… um… some books in the same time as always…

”The brother” by Zsuzsa Thury. It’s the story of the life of a Hungarian writer, journalist, who was born around 1900, survived during the two world wars and later went to live in the States… well, my mom gave it to me. I’m not a fan of history and/or family books, but the life of that man has lots of similarities with mine.

”Adulruna” by Thomas Karlsson, which needs no presentation.

Offline VladH

• Shapeshifter
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Dead
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 05:43:55 pm »
Charles Dickens - Great Expectations

...in english
The Longships are coming...

Offline Elena

• Princess Dream Weaver
  • Loyal Dreamer
    • nemesis corner
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 06:24:54 pm »
Anne Bishop - Sebastian + Jacqueline Carey - Kushiel´s Dart - and another book about classical singing...
Life it what happens while you wait for your dreams
Joy and beauty dance where open eyes meet
Fortune does not mean to have the best of everything, but to make of everything the best
She loves him more than he would ever now, he loves her more than he would ever show

Never ever victim

Offline Sirius13

• R.I.P.
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • RebornThroughHate-We'llSlashYour NecksUntilYouDie
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 07:06:07 pm »
I am now reading:
Song of Ice and Fire: Clash of Kings (that is the second book in series) by George R. R. Martin

I'm actually reading George R.R. Martin's Dream-Songs at the moment.  It's a collection of his short stories.  I'm on the last one in the book...  they've been pretty mixed overall, a couple of really good ones though.

Song of Ice and Fire is a potentially awesome series  :wicking:...  I'm patiently waiting for him to finish the next book (although I gotta say I did find Feast For Crows a little dissapointing, but I have every confidence it'll get back on track!).

You're right though... it's just MASSIVE!!
voces muy confusas entran en la mente!!!
www.spiritusmortis.com

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 07:22:28 pm »
I'm just a few pages away of finishing the Glass Bead Game by Hermann Hesse.
It's a pretty dense book I must say... but it is damn good! Especially at the end of the biography and the part with the postumous works of the protagonist. However, I must reckon that I feel quiet "young" for such a reading. I think that within some years after bearing the weight of age for a while, I'm gonna enjoy that book much more than now. It' been a while since a book gave me that impression... and it's rather good because it makes me feel as if I still have lots of things to live. :)

What book is next?... I don't know yet :unsure:
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 08:02:38 pm »
I have read The Alchemist's House and now...
I don't know - maybe another book by Meyrink -  Valpurgis Night or Golem;
or The Writer's Diary by Virginia Woolf. Virginia is one of my favourite writers  :wub:
But then again, who does.

Offline Nighthawk

• Life on Mars?
    • Lust.fm
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 09:08:50 pm »
Song of Ice and Fire is a potentially awesome series  :wicking:...  I'm patiently waiting for him to finish the next book (although I gotta say I did find Feast For Crows a little dissapointing, but I have every confidence it'll get back on track!)
What didn't you like in A Feast For Crows? A Game of Thrones was setting up the pieces, A Clash of Kings was... well, what the title suggests. A Storm Of Swords was the aftermath (a pretty serious one), while A Feast For Crows is setting up the pieces again. It is a bit slow, but I still found it enjoyable. Too bad all the best characters are left for later...

I can't make up my mind and start reading one book. Currently, I'm reading:
Roger Zelazny - The Amber Chronicles (currently on the second book, Guns of Avalon) - a fantasy masterpiece by a wonderful writer. The equivalent of someone retelling you his dream in more detail than people usually remember after dreaming. I've read the whole series in Croatian when I was much younger and it was one of the best book I've ever read. Now I'm reading it in English. Still a wonderful read.

Douglas Adams - The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul - To quote the back of the book:
When a passenger check-in desk at Terminal Two, Heathrow Airport, shot up through the roof engulfed in a ball of orange flame the usual people tried to claim responsibility. First the IRA, then the PLO and the Gas Board. Even British Nuclear Fuels rushed out a statement to the effect that the situation was completely under control, that it was a one in a million chance, that there was hardly any radioactive leakage at all and that the site of the explosion would make a nice location for a day out with the kids and a picnic, before finally having to admit that it wasn't actually anything to do with them at all.

No rational cause could be found for the explosion - it was simply designated an act of God. But, thinks Dirk Gently, which God? and why? What God would be hanging around Terminal Two of Heathrow Airport trying to catch the 15.37 to Oslo?

Funnier than Psycho . . . more chilling than Jeeves Takes Charge . . . shorter than War and Peace . . . the new Dirk Gently novel, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul.

I'm trying to concentrate on these two books right now. In the works also are Stephen King's The Dark Tower series (stuck on Wizard and Glass, the fourth book), Kierkegaard's The Seducer's Diary and a bunch of others I'd rather not even think about. I wanna read 'em all at once but I'm too lazy.

Ahwell.
Can't stop the signal.

Offline Sirius13

• R.I.P.
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • RebornThroughHate-We'llSlashYour NecksUntilYouDie
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 11:53:57 pm »
What didn't you like in A Feast For Crows? A Game of Thrones was setting up the pieces, A Clash of Kings was... well, what the title suggests. A Storm Of Swords was the aftermath (a pretty serious one), while A Feast For Crows is setting up the pieces again. It is a bit slow, but I still found it enjoyable. Too bad all the best characters are left for later...
That's exactly it... all the best charaters and best parts of the plot are missing.  I understand why Martin made the choice to split it...  but the split is too one-sided, leaving too much peripheral rubbish in Feast for Crows, and I ultimately I found it was disappointingly forgettable.  That's why I also expect it to get back on track, because the next book will almost certainly catch up with the good bits.

For me the split is entirely wrong - instead of going by character set he should have taken them all forward to the same chronological point... For example, because of the way he's done the split, I now know for certain where some of the characters I've yet to catch up with WON'T turn up...  which is a bit like a spoiler really.  I loved the way all the charaters entwined their stories...  but none from FFC will mix it up with those characters in Dance With Dragons.  Possibly.  :fish:

...I'm also beginning to wonder if he can truly deliver the climax that the opening 3 books deserve.  :ninja:

I actually suspect he's in need of a good harsh editor to say "For f**k's sake Georgie... you just don't NEED half of this shit!!"  :biggrin:
voces muy confusas entran en la mente!!!
www.spiritusmortis.com

Offline Loke

• Twisted Bard
  • let the twisted pipes blow
    • me
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2007, 12:01:08 am »

A tree grows in brooklin , i have to finish it cause it will go all the way to Prague in a few days :)

yo yo yo
Scripta Manet

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2007, 09:23:46 am »
Ehmmm?  ::) Looking forward to that novel  :wink2:
But then again, who does.

Offline Loke

• Twisted Bard
    • me
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2007, 10:58:43 am »
Ehmmm?  ::) Looking forward to that novel  :wink2:

Be there soon , promise :)

yo yo yo
Scripta Manet

Offline IronCretin

• Every tear I shed/Is for you
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2007, 01:31:53 pm »
I'm reading Homer's Iliad.  Very cool. . . if you can get past the long boring lists of names. . . But the fighting, OH SO COOL!  I mean, the descriptions of the armies, like waves battering the soar.  And heroes as wild boars, trapped lions, oh my!  *orgasms*

~The (Astoundingly Flagrant) Cretin~

Offline Elena

• Princess Dream Weaver
  • Loyal Dreamer
    • nemesis corner
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2007, 02:10:23 pm »
I have Homer´s Ilia too, but I didn´t read it yet.

And I agrre to Triocton about "Song of Ice and Fire" - I hope to remember all the story and people when reading the next book...
Life it what happens while you wait for your dreams
Joy and beauty dance where open eyes meet
Fortune does not mean to have the best of everything, but to make of everything the best
She loves him more than he would ever now, he loves her more than he would ever show

Never ever victim

Offline deathdancer

• Revolution Leader
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • So sexy
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 08:51:14 pm »
Finished reading:
Song of Ice and Fire: Clash of Kings (second book in series) by George R. R. Martin

Now reading:
Song of Ice and Fire: A Storm of Swords (third book in series) by George R. R. Martin

English killer member #3
Therion Society member

Offline Loke

• Twisted Bard
    • me
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2007, 09:47:27 pm »

I gave up a tree grows in brooklin since i prefer praha to have it, im readin Milo and the phantom tallbooth now

yo yo yo
Scripta Manet

Offline Elizabeth

• The Elf
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Ahava le haim!
    • http://spaces.msn.com/members/narwen0/
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2007, 11:55:25 am »
I've just finished it, but since I was unable to post while actually reading it, I'll hare it anyway:

"Extremely loud and incredibly close" - Jonathan Safran Foer. It's absolutely marvelous. It's the story of a 9 year old boy whose dad died at 9/11 and who, after finding a strange key among his dad's stuff, decides to try it in every keywhole in New York, until he discovers what the key opens.

Marvelous. Gorgeous. Superb. Exhilarating.

Thanks Tequila!

I don't trust astrology, because I'm a Gemini and Geminis don't trust astrology. Raymond Smullyan.

Offline deathdancer

• Revolution Leader
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • So sexy
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2007, 01:30:32 pm »
And what did the key opened?  :roll-eyes:

English killer member #3
Therion Society member

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2007, 02:59:32 pm »
Currently reading "Lord of the Flies" for English. It's not precisely my style of book, but I prefer "Robinson Crosoe" in its genre. :lol3:
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Elizabeth

• The Elf
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Ahava le haim!
    • http://spaces.msn.com/members/narwen0/
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2007, 08:56:29 am »
And what did the key opened?  :roll-eyes:

Cannot tell you. See for yourself  :biggrin:

Thanks Tequila!

I don't trust astrology, because I'm a Gemini and Geminis don't trust astrology. Raymond Smullyan.