Author Topic: They are sold out  (Read 23272 times)

Offline Loke

• Twisted Bard
  • let the twisted pipes blow
    • me
They are sold out
« on: July 09, 2007, 02:09:07 am »

Well guys , with all of this fuss about metallica's new record, and all the people (well not all) attacking and acusing them for being a sold out band i thought about starting this thread in order to know what's your opinion about it, now, this is not a metallica thread, what i want you to post is ...

When can you consider that a band has sold out?

When is acceptable that a band sells out (if there is such a thing in the first place)?

Sold out can be hidden evolution?

well and things like that ...

I personally think that a band never sells out, I think is all about contracts with the labels or well, musical experimentation or evolution, or also  different approaches in order to get more economical beneffits which i think is good as long as the band respects their inttelectual work as musicians and as long as they like what they are creating. i also think that many people critizices bands the moment they play or create something that they dont like anymore and that's not fair. I think even therion had this comments with GK which i found rather nonsense, well that's my opinion, i m waiting for yours.

yo yo yo :)
Scripta Manet

Offline Nighthawk

• Life on Mars?
    • Lust.fm
Re: They are sold out
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 01:32:14 pm »
I agree with you, Loke. Of course Metallica sold out... they had sold-out concerts, they sold millions of albums, but that's about all they sold. Evolution isn't always a step in the best direction... it's just another step forward.

Personally, and slightly OT, I'm looking forward to the new Metallica album. Might be fun, if they only flesh the songs out more than they did on St. Anger (where even a good song was presented in a bad way).

There's only one thing I don't like when a band does, and that's performing without feeling. That's what blew me away most on the Therion gig - they played with such force and love for their music that you just couldn't be still, you had to jump around, shout, applaud (oh, how you had to applaud) and do stuff you normally wouldn't do (I'm pretty non-energetic... usually).
Can't stop the signal.

Offline Sirius13

• R.I.P.
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • RebornThroughHate-We'llSlashYour NecksUntilYouDie
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 04:47:22 pm »
I think a band can surely do whatever they like.  If they happen to evolve in a direction that I don't like...  well then I will just listen less (or not at all!).

I agree with Loke here - Change is part of the world and I think people should whine less if a band makes an album that is 'different'.

As for what is 'sold out':  In metal terms I would equate this with a watering down of 'darker' elements, in order to appeal to a mainstream audience.  It doesn't automatically make something bad, but it is generally less likely to appeal to me personally, because that twist of 'darkness' or 'attitude' is what makes metal so enjoyable (for me).

As for Metallica:  I loved the first four albums, was a bit disappointed with the black album and don't like anything that came after...  however I've seen 'em live about 6 or 7 times, from the 'Master Of Puppets' tour through to some time in about 2001, and on each occasion I've gotta say they were quite superb ('86 was best though!  :evil2:).  Have they 'sold out'?  Maybe.  Probably accidentally (their direction is kind of misguided, and who knows what fuels it all?).  But does it matter?  No.  It's a little disappointing for someone like me who can remember the impact of 'Kill 'em All' & 'Ride The Lightning' - I miss all that! But there are people out there who do like the newer stuff, and that's fine.

Plus... bands get old.  Different life perspectives make for different musical inspirations and direction.

Agree 100% with Nighthawk in that what turns me off a band is performance without feeling.  Soul-less music must be destroyed!  :fish:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 05:07:28 pm by Sirius13 »
voces muy confusas entran en la mente!!!
www.spiritusmortis.com

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 11:26:54 am »
Hey there,

I think soullessness is a good criterium for selling out: When the music is made for the money, for the sale numbers instead of for the joy of making it, then the band is sold out IMHO.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline VladH

• Shapeshifter
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Dead
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 09:10:23 am »
And this definition fits to almost all heavy and power metal bands I think.....

It's hard to sold out when you play totally uderground music... but it could happen.... in Poland for example many people hate Behemoth for what Nergal have done when he got rid of pagan black elements - characteristic for early recordings and started playing black/death which (as you may see) is really catch... I prefer saying they EVOLVED... but with this change of music he should change the name of it..... I think...
The Longships are coming...

Offline Ereshkigal

• Dark Queen
    • http://matsleven.com/, catarsis-metalera.com, metalcritico.com
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 04:08:24 am »
To  hate them even more:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Nighthawk

• Life on Mars?
    • Lust.fm
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 12:32:42 pm »
To  hate them even more:

I agree. I don't know what he wanted to go for, but black doesn't suite Lars' eyes. He should've gone for khaki or something elegant like that.

Now I totally hate that bitch.
Can't stop the signal.

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 05:35:20 pm »
To  hate them even more:

Blow the head of the bastard in the middle. The destiny of the other two is to be decided by the Inquisitor. :pop:
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Loke

• Twisted Bard
    • me
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 06:37:30 pm »

OMG, what the hell. this has to be one of the signs of the end of the world or apocalypse or something right? satan's comming right? dont lie to me satan's commin  :afaid:

yo yo yo
Scripta Manet

Offline Nighthawk

• Life on Mars?
    • Lust.fm
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 07:18:04 pm »

OMG, what the hell. this has to be one of the signs of the end of the world or apocalypse or something right? satan's comming right? dont lie to me satan's commin  :afaid:

yo yo yo
Can't stop the signal.

Offline Loke

• Twisted Bard
    • me
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 01:23:35 am »

I knew it! this is one of the signsssssss!   *jumps out the window*  (luckily he lives in a one story flat) 

yo yo yo  :afaid:
Scripta Manet

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 02:13:20 am »
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Loke

• Twisted Bard
    • me
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 03:41:55 am »

It's more clear every time... run!!

yo yo yo :P

Next sign should be Paris Hilton singing instead of Martina ...  :afaid:

yo yo yo :)
Scripta Manet

Offline VladH

• Shapeshifter
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Dead
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 01:57:02 pm »
 :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

:muaha:
The Longships are coming...

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 11:13:26 pm »
Loke, you are a prophet! :afaid:

Offline Nighthawk

• Life on Mars?
    • Lust.fm
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 11:41:07 pm »
That'd be interesting. I wonder if she could pronounce some of the names.

I wonder if she can read.
Can't stop the signal.

Offline Loke

• Twisted Bard
    • me
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2007, 11:46:04 pm »

OMG ... i better start going to church !!! it's happening  :afaid:

yo yo yooooooooooooooooooo  :pop:

Scripta Manet

Offline Ereshkigal

• Dark Queen
    • http://matsleven.com/, catarsis-metalera.com, metalcritico.com
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 01:08:43 am »

Very good one!

She looks though, like if she is about to get a haircut  :lol:

Offline bengal

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2008, 08:11:51 pm »
Sold out???   I believe its a term coined by pissed off members of other bands use when someone else makes it big.
Lets face reality.........as much as music is art, its also business. Guys spend years  working their ass off playing in scummy bars and eating Kraft dinner (great by the way)
As far as I am concerned , any band that changes their formula after years to earn a better living has earned that right. If their current fan base feels betrayed, find another band or remain loyal and appreciate all the hard work and effort and join the majority of their new fan base which obviously exists other wise it wouldnt be called "selling out"

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2008, 01:12:39 am »
Sometimes when a band sells out though... Musical quality becomes you know, lesser.
Like say... This band called Sonic Syndicate, that recently got a record deal with NuclearBlast. Fine, they might have a girl playing bass, and a decent guttural vocalist, but what the hell? They started out playing an unoriginal, but nevertheless interesting Melodic Death Metal. What are they doing now? Metalcore/Emo music. If you compare their early works to what they do now you find that although originality was scarce, it existed, and they managed to do their job right. Now, well, it's something you might find playing in your local Emo club or radio station.