Author Topic: National weapons  (Read 7494 times)

Offline Loke

• Twisted Bard
  • let the twisted pipes blow
    • me
National weapons
« on: June 24, 2007, 12:52:25 am »
 Well i was thinking, since we are from so different nationalities and we ( i think) love weapons, it would be nice to now the weapon of choice of each country or area, ill begin with the one of my two nations, as you know im a mexican scot, so here they are

The "machete" is the mexican weapon of choice

The machete (International Phonetic Alphabet: /məˈʃɛti/) is a cleaver-like tool that looks like a very large knife. The blade is typically 50–60 cm (18–24 in) long, usually with a thin blade under 3mm thick. In the English language, an equivalent term is matchet (though the name 'machete' enjoys greater currency).

http://www.cosmoknives.com/swords/machete.jpg

The Two-handed (Highland) claymore is (atleast was) the Scotish weapon of choice, for us highlanders more

The average claymore ran about 140 cm (55") in overall length, with a 33 cm (13") grip, 107 cm (42") blade, and a weight of approximately 2.5 kg (5.5 lb), the blades are most similar to the type XIIIa, using the Oakeshott typology. Fairly uniform in style, the sword was set with a wheel pommel often capped by a crescent-shaped nut and a guard with straight, down-sloping arms ending in quatrefoils and langets running down the center of the blade from the guard. Another common style of two-handed claymore (though lesser known today) was the "clamshell hilted" claymore. It had a crossguard that consisted of two downward-curving arms and two large, round, concave plates that protected the foregrip. It was so named because the round guards resembled an open clam.

http://www.aceros-de-hispania.com/imagen/Espadas/claymore-espada-52.jpg

yo yo yo :P

Scripta Manet

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
Re: National weapons
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 01:58:28 am »
Here in Venezuela, the weapon of choice by the peoples of the Amazon is the blowgun, usually using darts with poison on them. :whistle: As for Hugo Chavez' weapons of choice, here come in Russian rifles, Russian helicopters, Russian planes and Russian submarines. (Some of which he bought the other day!) :insane:
In Ecuador, same thing for the Amazon part of it. As of the Incan-occupied territories, the spears and slings were weapons of choice to fight them Conquistadores! They still lost anyway... :bawl:
As for Russia, well, here's a long weapon history... There's othe swords and spears used by the Cossacks and other people from the Feudal times. During the age of colonization and discovery, Russia had a wide variety of muskets on them. While during WWII, the then Soviet Union had a collection of rifles and pistols such as the Mosin Nagant and the Tokarev series. And later on, we have nuclear weaponery, modern rifles and nuclear submarines as weapons of choice. :biggrin:
Personally, my favorite weapon of the mentioned is the Mosin Nagant. Have I been playing "Call of Duty" way too much?
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline VladH

• Shapeshifter
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Dead
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 09:44:46 am »
Maybe I will start from early medieval times. In most of central europe of this time Battle Axe was main weapon of foot infrantry. Cavalry usually worked with some kind of long spear. Axes were brutal, crude but worked pretty well with cutting heads and ripping of some arms and legs....

In more modern times - in golden ages of polish history as our cavalry called HUSARIA (Hussars) was the best army in whole Europe came the time of sabres. Used both when mounted (longer ones) and unmounted. It was also weapon of honor used in most quarrels and duels. Best of polish sabres was Carabelle or Karabela - in fact nobody knows from where it was originated. Probably after several wars with Ottoman Empire and seeing it ancestor in fight some of noblemans said: "why we don't have such weapon"? And so they did.

Still some of them can be found in museums, collections, and private houses :)

1) Hungaria carabelle 2) Polish carabelle 3) Husaria (cavalry carabelle) 4) Turkish carabelle

The Longships are coming...

Offline Sirius13

• R.I.P.
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • RebornThroughHate-We'llSlashYour NecksUntilYouDie
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 09:58:37 pm »
From England

This is a Tornado GR4:

:fish:
voces muy confusas entran en la mente!!!
www.spiritusmortis.com

Offline Loke

• Twisted Bard
    • me
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 11:16:03 pm »

Haha, not what i had in mind but the topic is going places i can tell you that :P

well another weapon commonly used in the mexican country side would be the "guadaña",

http://www.scythesupply.com/images/Outfitnew1.jpg

More than a weapon this gizmo was designed to serve in the field as a crop-cuter, but due to the lack of weapons to protect their families and stuff the people started to use it with this purpose.

Scripta Manet

Offline VladH

• Shapeshifter
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Dead
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 08:03:56 pm »
Yeah, true.... we had one insurrection armed mostly with it - this infrantry units were fearsome because of bravery in assault... it was enough to get rid of russians for some time... (yeah, our history is very complicated)...
The Longships are coming...

Offline Loke

• Twisted Bard
    • me
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 10:12:41 pm »

More weapons ...

http://www.phelios.net/royaltyfree3dmodels/weapons.jpg

aaah medieval!! 

A battle axe (also battle-axe or battle-ax) is an axe specifically designed as a weapon. Battle axes were specialized versions of utility axes. Many were suitable for use in one hand, while others were larger and were wielded two-handed. Axes designed for warfare ranged in weight from just over 1 lb to 6 lb, and in length from just over a foot to upwards of five feet, such as the Danish axe or the sparth axe. Anything longer than five feet would arguably fall more into the category of polearms.

Through the course of human history, commonplace objects have been pressed into service as weapons. Axes, by virtue of their ubiquity, are no exception. Besides axes designed for combat, there were many axes that were both tools and weapons. Axes could be designed as throwing weapons as well (see the Francisca for an example). Axes were always cheaper than swords and far more available.

Scripta Manet

Offline lavaniegosII

• The Composer
  • Loyal Member
  • Fly free bird
    • www.myspace.com/ainset
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 12:46:11 am »
In highschool we (our group) invented a revolutianary weapon, it consists in:

-Bamboo stick
-Nopales

I asume you can imagina how it works.
6 6 6

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 02:01:58 am »
In highschool we (our group) invented a revolutianary weapon, it consists in:

-Bamboo stick
-Nopales

I asume you can imagina how it works.
Hm... so you take the bamboo stick, you hang your jacket on it, and you do your necesities on the nopal?
Sounds like a very effective weapon. :biggrin:
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Nighthawk

• Life on Mars?
    • Lust.fm
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 02:41:02 pm »
   well another weapon commonly used in the mexican country side would be the "guadaña",

http://www.scythesupply.com/images/Outfitnew1.jpg

More than a weapon this gizmo was designed to serve in the field as a crop-cuter, but due to the lack of weapons to protect their families and stuff the people started to use it with this purpose.
So, basically... a scythe.

Pacifist.

Weapon of choice:

Can't stop the signal.