Author Topic: Hard disk question  (Read 30387 times)

Offline Carlios

• http://
Hard disk question
« on: December 03, 2004, 08:51:22 am »
I have a problem with my computer... I hope I can make myself clear since I'm not so good in technical language...

OK, you all know the problem I had with my computer... if you don't check this topic over here[/size][/font] and then come back... :P

Well, the problem is that now my computer has 2 hard disks, C & D, the computers I used to have never had a fragmented disk... Disk C (usually the default for programs and everything) has 19 GB of memory, but disk D has like 45 GB or something like that...

You might be saying why is he telling me all of this? well, the problem is that the default folder for my incoming files is also C, but it's quickly running out of space (I have like 0.95 GB left) I just wanted to know if it's possible to give disc C a little more memory from D, making it from a 19 GB to let's say 30 GB or something, or if it's impossible...

Hope I made myself clear, and didn't ended confusing you, and hoping anyone can help me with this... Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 08:55:59 am by Carlios »

Que la Ancylotoma duodenale te Acompañe / May the Ancylostoma duodenale be with You[/b][/u][/size][/font]

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Hard disk question
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 11:33:56 am »
Hi Carlios,

I think the tool Partition Magic is what you´re looking for.

Good luck!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline TheOFFman

• Leader of the Brave
  • Loyal Dreamer
Hard disk question
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2004, 12:09:39 am »
Hey Carlios, I had the same problem. So I formated disk and I made new partitions.

Offline Carlios

Hard disk question
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2004, 10:28:46 am »
Thanks guys...

About the Partition Magic, it sounds like an excellent tool, but it's a trial version, and will only let me look at how my computer is going to be, but doesn't let me make any changes (damn), I'll have to either buy it, or download some craked version from the ol' reliable emule

About formatting the disk, I just want to know if by doing that I'll loose all my info (I don't want to go there again... :blink: )

I just found a provisional and temporary solution, what I have done is just change the incoming folder from C to D, and moved My Document folder as well, that gave me a good 3 GB, to last a little longer...

Que la Ancylotoma duodenale te Acompañe / May the Ancylostoma duodenale be with You[/b][/u][/size][/font]

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Hard disk question
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2004, 12:52:51 pm »
Hi Carlios,

formatting means you´ll get a nice clean blank disk :) And the magic in Partition Magic is that you can re-partition your disk without formatting it...

Cheers!

Markus

Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline TheOFFman

• Leader of the Brave
  • Loyal Dreamer
Hard disk question
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2004, 01:55:29 pm »
I saved all my documents, saves and rest on 2 DVDs before formating disk.

Offline lepaca

Hard disk question
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 08:13:17 pm »
hey if you still want to recover your lost data there are some usefull software that can recover the information in the formated disks, just check it around the net and you`ll find some........and regarding to your problem of the space in disk i recomend you to format it because the tool that you are talking about can bring some problems.. to avoid that just make new partitions with the fdisk(first make your backups)

Offline Carlios

Hard disk question
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2004, 08:34:38 am »
Sorry for the delay guys, I had an exam yesterday, and I didn't had time to reply...

Well, formatting seems like the best option around, I'll just have to get a couple of DVD-R's to save all my stuff...

Just a question before I do anything and screw it all up, I'll have to format both of my hard disks (C & D) right???

Offline lepaca

Hard disk question
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 06:44:07 pm »
actually you dont have two hard disks you have one, and you made partitions...if you want to modify it you need to eliminate partitions and create new ones, and then you'll format

Offline Carlios

Hard disk question
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2004, 11:07:04 pm »
:blink: Damn I suck at this...

*****10 minutes later*****

I have just called the guy that repaired my computer (deleted my stuff), he says he'll re-do the job, try to get my stuff back and make better partitions, and install new computer gizmo's and gadgets :P ... (this means, a better computer, but for the next couple of days I'll be going back to 56k conection :blink: :( )

Offline lepaca

Hard disk question
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2004, 04:51:13 pm »
the problem is that they charge a lot of money for a simple work, its really simple and it takes less than one hour

Offline Carlios

Hard disk question
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2004, 10:59:22 pm »
Yes I know, but the good thing is this, since he screwd up by deleting my files, he says he won't charge me for that, the only thing he'll charge for is for the new parts for my comp :D

Offline Xiquet

Re: Hard disk question
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 03:47:12 pm »
Hi,

First sorry for my english... I don't use it usually...  :innocent:

For obtain more space you have differents options before to format discs. Really format all the discs are a good solution, but can be "expensive" too, because you have to remember to save all your documents, videos, mp3, pictures, files of exchange (if you have...).. Save your profile (this is locatted in the 'Documents and Settings' folder whith your name... remember all yours passwords (introduced in web pages...). I don't know why, but is very easy and usual, that people lost some information  :lol3:

Really if your system works fine and you only need free space....  you don't need format your discs...

Before format the disks I will try with other things... For example:

- Move all your documents, photos, etc...  into your unit D

- If you use applications how emule... Close it. Move the folder with the temporals files into your unit D. Open the application and change the configuration... Specify the new path for the temporal files (now in unit D). Is very important this temporal files musn't to be allocated in your unit C because can to drown the System (this need free space...)

- If you are using some program, which use very much space on disc C. You can uninstall it, and re-install this program specifying a new path into your unit D.

When you have obtained more free space in your unit C... Is when you must to do a deframentation in your unit C.

If you really need format your disc.... You can move all your data allocated in the unit C to the unit D... And format only the unit C....

I have explained well??

See you... and good luck!

Offline deathdancer

• Revolution Leader
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • So sexy
    • http://vargagrav.com
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 05:14:29 pm »
This topic is 3 years old  :fish:
Life's a bitch... and than you die...

English killer member #3
Therion Society member

Offline Xiquet

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 10:45:41 pm »
 :o yes... I saw it after my explanation  :biggrin:

But... Really it's a good response... do you know?  :lol3:

Offline Sirius13

• R.I.P.
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • RebornThroughHate-We'llSlashYour NecksUntilYouDie
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 06:10:16 pm »
How many disks would have to be melted down in order to form a globe with the exact same mass as the Earth?

Now that's what I call a hard disk question.  :wOOt:
voces muy confusas entran en la mente!!!
www.spiritusmortis.com

Offline NeMo

• The Banned One
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 08:02:28 pm »
How many disks would have to be melted down in order to form a globe with the exact same mass as the Earth?

Let me purge your hard disk question of redundancies Triocton... mass is invariant on the shape of the body, unlike moment of inertia, as corroborated by Steiner theorem. :P
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 06:00:04 pm by NeMo »
I Miskolc!

Offline Sirius13

• R.I.P.
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • RebornThroughHate-We'llSlashYour NecksUntilYouDie
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 02:17:01 pm »

Let me purge your hard disk question of redundancies Triocton... mass is invariant on the shape of the body, unlike moment of inertia, as corroborated by Steiner's theorem. :P

Yes indeed.  Originally I had wanted to ask what the diameter of the resulting globe would be, just to make the question a bit 'harder'.  However, I felt that this would lead to a longer question with a perceived focus of 'diameter' rather than 'disk', therefore lessening the glorious impact of the intended pun.  In my haste to achieve great wit, I merely deleted the references to diameter but shamefully left in the references about making a globe.  :biggrin:

Oh, the perils of trying to make a 'hard disk' question into a 'hard' disk question.

*cuts own head off in shame*

(again)

:fish:

voces muy confusas entran en la mente!!!
www.spiritusmortis.com

Offline Hypnox

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 06:08:01 pm »
So... how many pancakes could fit into an elephant's ear if the wind blows south-west??
I know I'm going to hell, and I'm bringing marshmallows.

Offline NeMo

• The Banned One
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 08:14:20 pm »
*cuts own head off in shame*

Great Triocton... Now look for Tuomas! :P

*communicates with dead Triocton using a special talisman Christofer Johnson made*

So... how many pancakes could fit into an elephant's ear if the wind blows south-west??

Watching too much global warming propaganda on TV recently? :biggrin:
I Miskolc!