Author Topic: Dancing with Shiva  (Read 11721 times)

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
Dancing with Shiva
« on: January 07, 2007, 09:27:05 pm »
I’d like to ask your experience about dancing (or headbanging :biggrin:). Do you like it? I think Shelley mentioned that she was dancing, so please, write us what the dance means to you. And everybody please feel free to post what do you feel while dancing, do you think it’s sport or art, do you like strict choreographies or improvisation, which kind of dance you feel close to you (ballet, ballroom dance, folk dance...), would you like to dance a solo or with a group? And so on. :)

As you know, I like belly dance, and I was learning Indian dance too.

That Indian dance was a ritual in the ancient times, a form of worship and sacrifice. Basicly it consisted in two main styles: a very demanding one, based on rhythm and dancing positions (a masculine one), and a much softer one, used for telling stories by the hand movements and the face expression (the feminine part). The choreographies are extremely strict, even the movement of the eyes, or parts of the fingers are determined.

Belly dance is more known, but much less complex. :)

Offline Nighthawk

• Life on Mars?
    • Lust.fm
Re: Dancing with Shiva
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 09:42:25 pm »
It might come as a shock to some of you, but I was quite the dancer in my day.

Back in elementary school, I used to rock around the clock - there was even this thing, a dancing class or something like that, in which I loved to participate. It was on for two years, I think, and in the second year we had a contest of sorts in which I wiped the floor with everybody else.

Metaphorically, of course. I mean, kids in elementary school versus my grace and skill.

It was a massacre.

As a cruel twist of fate, today I have all the grace and elegance of a stoned elephant. Still, I do my best.
Can't stop the signal.

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 09:46:34 pm »
Wow, congrats! :lol:

By the way, I think elephants are graceful creatures - even stoned ones. :wink2:

Offline Elizabeth

• The Elf
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Ahava le haim!
    • http://spaces.msn.com/members/narwen0/
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 10:06:55 pm »
Hmm... dance. Y'know, a smart guy said that "Dance is the vertical expression of a horizontal desire" - very nicely said, indeed  :lol3:

Dancing means very much to me. Not as a competition anymore, because I used to learn Israeli folk dances and participate in different schoolar contests; but as a way of expressing myself. Maybe my birthplace influences me very much: I'm really attached to any latin dance. One of my dreams is to stay in Argentina for a while and learn a solid tango (I know just the basics).
If I didn't know the way Romanians teach and learn different dances, I'd take lessons right here. But... damn, watch a famous Romanian school dance performing some waltz and then some tango, and you'll the resemble is hilarious!

In the meanwhile, I resume to breaking the ice of any party and making wild experiments - try some belly dance movements on Therion, Lucy!  :wOOt:

Thanks Tequila!

I don't trust astrology, because I'm a Gemini and Geminis don't trust astrology. Raymond Smullyan.

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 10:12:39 pm »
I like Israeli dances too, they are sooo fun!

The experiment you said isn't that wild... my teacher wants to create some choreographies to classical music. :roll-eyes: Perhaps I'll suggest her nice symphonic Therion music... hmmm... few days to finish the Path of the Brave... I'll see which songs. :lol:

Offline Elizabeth

• The Elf
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Ahava le haim!
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 10:16:40 pm »
I was just exaggerating a bit in the wild thingy, Lucy  :tongue: Hehe.

Thanks Tequila!

I don't trust astrology, because I'm a Gemini and Geminis don't trust astrology. Raymond Smullyan.

Offline lavaniegosII

• The Composer
  • Loyal Member
  • Fly free bird
    • www.myspace.com/ainset
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 10:23:17 pm »
I like contemporanean dance, tango, flamenco, indian, arabian, Yaqui's dance (they are so nice , specially the "deer dance"), almost all the styles!.

I like to watch coreographies but also improvisations, I dance but very very bad, but I'm trying to progress. I'm practicing a kind of Martial dance art that I saw once in the T.V. It's very comfortable and you feel how your energy flow very well.
6 6 6

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 02:52:48 am »
I was never a good dancer... I have the grace and the ability of a tree.
Not that I dislike dances, I like watching it, but not doing it, I always feel embarrased when trying. That's why I susually say: "I listen to music, I don't dance to it".
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Elena

• Princess Dream Weaver
  • Loyal Dreamer
    • nemesis corner
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 07:56:45 pm »
Well, I danced nearly my whole life - now I feel old and "unflexible"
I started with ballet in age of 9, went over to "standard dances" (Waltz, Cha-Cha, Tango and so on) what I did later was more sport than dance - does anyone know german tradition of "Gardetanz"? - latest I did was acrobatics, I was the base in a trio-group - should mean, I had to hold and balance two girls (a weight of 80-90 kilo) on my back, my shoulders, my feet or wherever needed for the pyramid we just wanted to build. There we even went to competitions, but I was too old to become really good and competitors are strong :( But in our first year we managed to become regional champion (because noone else started in this grade)...
Life it what happens while you wait for your dreams
Joy and beauty dance where open eyes meet
Fortune does not mean to have the best of everything, but to make of everything the best
She loves him more than he would ever now, he loves her more than he would ever show

Never ever victim

Offline Elena

• Princess Dream Weaver
  • Loyal Dreamer
    • nemesis corner
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 07:58:11 pm »
oh, I forgot something:
Bellydance is still something I want to try anywhen - also this indian dance sounds quite interessting!
Fortune does not mean to have the best of everything, but to make of everything the best
She loves him more than he would ever now, he loves her more than he would ever show

Never ever victim

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 08:04:17 pm »
Wow, congrats! :bow: You are a very experienced dancer. :)

If you feel "unflexible" (which I doubt), belly dance could be a good choice indeed. It's more fun than exhausting, but keeps you in very good condition.

I don't know Gardetanz, could you tell about it a little more?

Offline Elena

• Princess Dream Weaver
  • Loyal Dreamer
    • nemesis corner
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 08:40:01 pm »
Hm, Gardetanz is hard to describe in english words... (at least I find it difficult) - as a dancer there you are jumping 4-5 minutes only (it depends on which song the coach chooses how long it is, there is no special order). Usually a "Garde" (I would translate it as "guard") consists of 20 girls in short skirts and uniform jackets and boots (we never were so much, only in the beginning of training - but when show season arrived we were only 8 or 12 left - in my last year we were 6 girls... riddiculous). In former days a king or prince has a special guard to save his life - this was a millitary guard. This carnival tradition is a little kidding with that, a carnival association finds a "prince" and a "princess", they are usual people in usual life but for this season they costume as prince and princess (should mean they have to pay a lot!!! :)  ) and princes "guard" is not a military one, it is a group of dancers looking a bit millitary. The point is that one association or party promoter "invites" a prince and the prince brings his guard to dance for the people there) Also the dance itself is a bit military - marching or jumping in lines or other figures, usually we had 8 beats walking into a figure then 8 or 16 beats "throw up your leg as high as possible" or "catch it on the highest point and jump in circle while holding it still" :) at least two times every dance we had to jump high and land down in splits... and so on. Usually we had 3 till 5 shows per evening, and we had to travel to every venue, the costumes are quite valuable and couldn´t stand to get wet or pushed, so we had to take care of it a lot and of course we also had uniform-hats with feathers (veeeery damagable also). Before every dance we had to change dress and style up ourselves new, usuallly we had only one little room for preparing ourselves and we had to share it with the whole association -> 30 persons in a room of 11qm... we had around 10 minutes to prepare, so usually we had a big time problem if we needed to visit toilet during an evening, not to talk about time for warm-up. This show evenings used to be only friday and saturday, sometimes also tuesday over a period of 4-6 weeks and everytime the last weekend was stress pure, friday and saturday as usual, sunday we spend the whole afternoon at a parade (wonderful cold in our damagable costumes... :(  ) Monday evening only one show in a disco (every year the same) and Highlight Tuesday all day dancing and running from 10 a.m. till "funeral" at midnight and then a little clean-up and finally some rest... sounds unlikely, I know but nevertheless I loved it for some years :)
Oh, I didn´t mention, this was only "marching"dance - we also had a show dance every year, it´s like "Jazz-dance" I would say, we deceided one theme to choose, choose a song (or two or three and got them "mixed" ahem... :)  ) then we made a choreography (not too exhausting, because we had to do this dance in addition to our marchdance). And we got theme-fitting costumes for that dance.
There are also "solo dancers", most time in marchdance but we had also one for showdance - we even had a showdance-pair (usualla it´s a man and a woman dancing and doing some pair acrobatics, possible for marchdance or showdance) ours consisted of two girls (guess who was one of them ... :)  )
And all of this stuff we had to cary to every single show and back... :)
However, it was a great time...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 08:51:14 pm by Shelley »

Never ever victim

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 08:56:22 pm »
Hi Shelley,

in the Gardetanz you must be training terribly hard right now, don't you? It's not so long until carneval anymore...

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 11:02:59 pm »
Some folk dances are really challenging. Others are little simpler. I remeber having to do a Mexican folk dance (one from the state of Chiapas) when I was in 3rd grade... It was kind of simple, but the people I was dancing with was quite unskilled as myself, so the progress was really slow. The onky good thing is that we didn't have some classes during rehearsals.
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Diane

• Metal Mommy
  • Loyal Member
    • Last FM
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 02:54:00 am »
Hmm... dance. Y'know, a smart guy said that "Dance is the vertical expression of a horizontal desire" - very nicely said, indeed  :lol3:

Hehe...  That's debatable.  It depends on who you're doing the dancing with!   :whistle:

Offline Elena

• Princess Dream Weaver
  • Loyal Dreamer
    • nemesis corner
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 06:40:00 pm »
@ Markus, well, Garde-dancers surely are already in their season right now - shows start in the early January until "Carnival Tuesday" - but I finished my career there some years ago, so I can be totally relaxed now :)

Never ever victim

Offline Elizabeth

• The Elf
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Ahava le haim!
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 10:12:08 am »
Hmm... this is weird. I posted a little video yesterday, and I don't know why the post is gone  :unsure:

Hope it was just for not hitting "Post" properly *blush* Here you go. Enjoy it!

Thanks Tequila!

Offline Loke

• Twisted Bard
  • let the twisted pipes blow
    • me
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2007, 05:48:41 pm »

I just dance with the stars .  (bottom line , i cant dance hehe)

yo yo yo :P
Scripta Manet

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2007, 06:04:19 pm »
Wow, Livi, what a find! :wOOt: I'm crying of laughter! :lol3:

Offline Elizabeth

• The Elf
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Ahava le haim!
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2007, 06:35:44 pm »
Glad you liked it, Lucy  :thumbup:

Thanks Tequila!