Author Topic: Melez - Invocation  (Read 5359 times)

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Melez - Invocation
« on: May 19, 2006, 09:54:13 am »
Hi folks,

here's another one that I've been riddling about: Do you have any idea what the invocation at the end of Melez means? There's "Pan" in it which might refer to the horned god of Arcady or which might mean "all". Then I recognize two names: "Cernunnos", a Celtic horned god, and "Astaroth", a demon derived from Ishtar / Astarte.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline Elizabeth

• The Elf
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Ahava le haim!
    • http://spaces.msn.com/members/narwen0/
Melez - Invocation
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 01:56:17 pm »
I don't remember the lyrics very well, but... where does Pan pop in?!  :huh:

Anyway, I remember god Pan was born with billy goat legs and horns and o long beard, son of nimf Dryope and Hermes. The last took him the Olymp, but he left, choosing to live in mountains and chilly forests, playing the syrinx (or Panpipe) and shepherding his flocks. At first, he patronized forests and shepherds. With time tho he looses his initial character and becomes the protector of the whole nature. (Arcadia and Argos older god)

Thanks Tequila!

I don't trust astrology, because I'm a Gemini and Geminis don't trust astrology. Raymond Smullyan.

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Melez - Invocation
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 03:16:35 pm »
Hi there,

there's a line that says "Pan heon anthropo-something". I suppose it means something like "all his human-something". :D Pn, however, wouldn't be too bad a guess, either - he does appear in other songs and he would be the second horned god in this passage.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.