Author Topic: Helheim  (Read 12590 times)

Offline Elizabeth

• The Elf
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Ahava le haim!
    • http://spaces.msn.com/members/narwen0/
Helheim
« on: May 05, 2006, 01:42:16 pm »
Hail, Notessomes!

I'm a bit lazy lately, and I don't feel liche searching through, so tell me, please: what do the lyrics in Helheim exactly mean?!  :blink:

I know Helheim is the realm of god Hel, who patronizes death and rebirth... but I don't understand a word out of those lyrics!

Thanks!

Livi
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 01:42:42 pm by Elizabeth »

Thanks Tequila!

I don't trust astrology, because I'm a Gemini and Geminis don't trust astrology. Raymond Smullyan.

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Helheim
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 05:28:25 pm »
Hell Liv,

but you're an ES member! Go to the wiki and find out. :D

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline Elizabeth

• The Elf
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Ahava le haim!
Helheim
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 08:24:44 pm »
I had totally forgotten about the wiki, Markus  :blush:  Thanks.

Thanks Tequila!

I don't trust astrology, because I'm a Gemini and Geminis don't trust astrology. Raymond Smullyan.

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Helheim
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 10:55:35 am »
Hey Liv,

you had forgotten about the official forum, too. :) There's a translation of "Helheim" there, easy to find in the Albums & Lyrics FAQ.

By the way, speaking German or English you can even guess the content from just reading the lyrics if you know the story of Baldr's death.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Elizabeth

• The Elf
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Ahava le haim!
Helheim
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 10:19:25 pm »
Told you, Markus, I was having a total laziness crisis, didn't quite feel like searching through.

I just checked out the lyrics and didn't understand a thing, so I posted the topic :D

Thanks anyway!

Thanks Tequila!

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Helheim
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 10:01:21 am »
Hi Liv,

ah, nevermind! I just wanted to remind you of how much good material there is in the official forum already, and some more in the ES, so that'll find out what you want to know quicker next time. :)

Oh, and if you feel like discussing the Helheim lyrics, let's go ahead! I love this song and would enjoy exchanging a couple of words about it. :D Why, for instance, do you think it's the second-to-last song on SOTR?

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
Helheim
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 12:10:04 am »
Why, for instance, do you think it's the second-to-last song on SOTR?

Cheers!

Markus
[snapback]8867[/snapback]
Because it's the lowest level in the Yggdrasil? Because it's the realm of the dead? Becaue it's the tale of the death of someone "handsome"? (Come on, even I look better than the interpretations of Baldr!)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 12:11:30 am by The One »
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Helheim
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 08:33:27 am »
Hi One,

Because it's the lowest level in the Yggdrasil? Because it's the realm of the dead? Becaue it's the tale of the death of someone "handsome"? (Come on, even I look better than the interpretations of Baldr!)
[snapback]8935[/snapback]

I see that modesty is one of your greatest strengths! :D

Well yes, Helheim is the realm of the dead, of course. But why do you think the song was placed second-to-last? Why not earlier, or why not as the very last? I do have a theory, but I wonder what you folks think.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
Helheim
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 02:38:58 am »
Hi One,
I see that modesty is one of your greatest strengths! :D

Well yes, Helheim is the realm of the dead, of course. But why do you think the song was placed second-to-last? Why not earlier, or why not as the very last? I do have a theory, but I wonder what you folks think.

Cheers!

Markus
[snapback]8939[/snapback]
Well, if you have such theory, why don't you get it out? I would like to know your opinion great High Priest
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Helheim
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2006, 08:08:58 am »
Hi One,

well, I was just curious what you folks think. :)

My theory is that Helheim doesn't stand for the physical death here but also for a symbolical one. A symbolical death as a means of initiation: Only by leaving behind your old life you become worthy of the great revelation. There are historic indications for such ideas. Don't forget Odin's Runesong in this context! Even he had to sacrifice himself to receive the runes. Oh, and "Uthark Runa" demands the same.

This sacrifice in track 10 is immediately rewarded in track 11 by the revelation of the secret of secrets. This is what I think, based on Nordic mythology and Karlsson's book "Uthark".

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
Helheim
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 10:23:16 pm »
Hi One,

My theory is that Helheim doesn't stand for the physical death here but also for a symbolical one. A symbolical death as a means of initiation: Only by leaving behind your old life you become worthy of the great revelation. There are historic indications for such ideas. Don't forget Odin's Runesong in this context! Even he had to sacrifice himself to receive the runes. Oh, and "Uthark Runa" demands the same.

This sacrifice in track 10 is immediately rewarded in track 11 by the revelation of the secret of secrets. This is what I think, based on Nordic mythology and Karlsson's book "Uthark".

Cheers!

Markus
[snapback]8972[/snapback]
Deep... Never thought of it like that.
... Craneal insertion of Markus' theory...

Offline Elizabeth

• The Elf
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Ahava le haim!
Helheim
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2006, 09:18:02 am »
Very interesting, Markus!

I never though of that either, mainly 'cause I always arrange the songs in the playlist differently than in the album itself :D Fav ones before the others, and Helheim is defenetly in the 1st category.

Thanks for that piece of "Markus wisdom" ;)

Thanks Tequila!

Offline lavaniegosII

• The Composer
  • Loyal Member
  • Fly free bird
    • www.myspace.com/ainset
Re: Helheim
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 06:14:50 pm »
Hi One,

My theory is that Helheim doesn't stand for the physical death here but also for a symbolical one. A symbolical death as a means of initiation: Only by leaving behind your old life you become worthy of the great revelation.

Cheers!

Markus

This is what i learn in the school of life:

Yes it is a symbolical one, you can interpret the descending through the worlds as the rythm of your breaths and how one enter a state of trance. Helheim is the Unconsciousness and by the art of Sjed (is a little death and can be interpreted as a Trance state) one can enter it and found the secret of the runes and some other secrets.

I think the Uthark Process is very similir to clavicula nox, you know all this unconscious-conscious thing.
6 6 6

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006, 06:21:02 pm »
Hi lava,

in the meantime I've read two books by Thomas, and now I'm definitely sure about this interpretation. The descent into Hel is the final step to gain the revelation of the Secret of the Runes, just like Odin entered the underworld in his self-sacrifice.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline lavaniegosII

• The Composer
  • Loyal Member
  • Fly free bird
    • www.myspace.com/ainset
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2006, 06:44:32 pm »
Hi lava,

in the meantime I've read two books by Thomas, and now I'm definitely sure about this interpretation. The descent into Hel is the final step to gain the revelation of the Secret of the Runes, just like Odin entered the underworld in his self-sacrifice.

Cheers!

Markus

And that's why i picked Hagalaz, is the "all-runes" rune and it's in the underworld.
6 6 6

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2006, 12:31:57 am »
Hi Lava,

I've never been quite convinced by this idea of Hagalaz as "mother-rune", as a rune containing all others. But I can go with the thought of it as a rune of Helheim. However, I still prefer Eiwaz for good reasons. :) Each to his taste....

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline lavaniegosII

• The Composer
  • Loyal Member
  • Fly free bird
    • www.myspace.com/ainset
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2006, 08:11:37 am »
Hi Lava,

I've never been quite convinced by this idea of Hagalaz as "mother-rune", as a rune containing all others. But I can go with the thought of it as a rune of Helheim. However, I still prefer Eiwaz for good reasons. :) Each to his taste....

Cheers!

Markus

Well, the runes are in the underworld, and the rune that represent the underworld is Hagal. Pertra and Eihwaz are very interesting because is the climax of the rune row. This december i will enter in the nightside of the runes and experiment Pertro and Eihwaz in Wintersolstice. The journey starts 10 of december, one rune per night.
6 6 6