Author Topic: Concert reviews  (Read 216157 times)

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
Concert reviews
« on: April 09, 2005, 09:06:18 pm »
OK guys, I'm opening a serious thread (for a change) to ask you to share your experiences in the concerts you have (or will) been to.
Tell us everything you want: your favourite concert, your worst concert, the concert of your dreams, the next concerts in your agenda, some reviews of the concerts you have been to, etc.
(My two cents to re-activate this forum with something different to spam :)).
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Ereshkigal

• Dark Queen
    • http://matsleven.com/, catarsis-metalera.com, metalcritico.com
Concert reviews
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 12:21:27 am »
Well, my best concert is when Therion came here. This is something never, ever seen before in my small little 3rd world country  :blush: It was packed! The bad thing is that I could not enter in the crowd. Ppl were wild and one felt like drowning from so much heat and others ppl sweat  and stuff I dunno wanna know
 :mellow: That is the only thing I regret. Not been able to watch from close.

My worst concert has been when I went to see Mago de Oz in Guatemala. I spent money and we went in a all metal fan trip there. It was a very tiring trip, but all for Mago. When they began to play at the 4th song it began to rain a little, suddenly they disappeared......then they never showed up  <_< Then there were riots 'cuz the ppl were so angry. The police threw pepper spray at us and I felt like dying, I couldn't breathe and everything itched. (I wasn't participating in the riots but the gas affected everyone). It was terrible, horrible. Since that they I never listen to Mago de Oz...bastards ...hehe  :blush:

Offline Jo Ta Erre

• Loyal Member
Concert reviews
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 05:05:56 am »
Hi ppl;
One of the best concerts i´ve ever seen, happened the 13th december 1996, when i saw The Blood Divine, Cathedral and My Dying Bride (when the "Like Gods of  the Sun" tour). It just was amazing; something magic for me. I was a Cathedral fan since 1995 and i recently discovered the "Angel and the Dark River" from MDB. Just fantastic..
On the other hand,  my first heavy concert was also special; 13th november 1992, when Metallica played here, in San Sebastián with their black album tour. 12000 guys screaming and jumping, and me, 18 years old, hipnotized ...

I love this game... :rolleyes:
Me pica la medusaaaaaaaaarrrrrrggg!!!!!!!!!!

Offline TheOFFman

• Leader of the Brave
  • Loyal Dreamer
Concert reviews
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 11:31:59 am »
Couple of days ago I was in one caffe bar or better to say pub. It's called Maya pub. There was one group called Big Orra, they are something like Iron Maiden tribute band. They were playing just Maiden songs.
There were just I don't know 20-30 people jumping and singing but it was great. Although they played The Wicker Man and The Trooper, they played it once more at the end.

Offline Sirius13

• R.I.P.
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • RebornThroughHate-We'llSlashYour NecksUntilYouDie
Concert reviews
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 03:04:29 pm »
@ JR:  I've met Lee Dorrian of Cathedral and he's a really great guy, very friendly, very funny.

Right, my fave concert ever:
I got into Sabbath just when the original line up split up.  It was always my dream to see that original line up, right from day one.  In 1997 they reformed and played a big stadium here & I went along, but somehow it was all too big.  Not like I wanted it.

Then in 2001, they did a secret warm up gig before another big stadium tour, and I was lucky enough to get a ticket to this warm up!  Hehe, word got out and on the day there were thousands queing outside the venue, but only us with tickets could get in.  This was the concert of my dreams, and they performed like nothing I have ever seen.  Just a few hundred people there, and no support act, no stage show.  I was like 5 feet in front of Ozzy & Tony and they were totally amazing.  Forget Ozzy's TV shows and suspect solo career - put him in front of Sabbath & he's young again!  Flawless performance.

I then decided I could retire from concert going forever.  It was better even than Metallica/Anthrax on the 1986 Master of Puppets tour.

But I've been to a couple more since.  Nightwish, Therion, ...and the original line up of Testament is playing here in May...  :D
voces muy confusas entran en la mente!!!
www.spiritusmortis.com

Offline Jo Ta Erre

• Loyal Member
Concert reviews
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 08:15:04 pm »
@ Sirius: Oh you lucky guy!

I saw Sabbath in 1998, when they made the reunion tour. But when they played here, Bill Ward was ill, and Vinnie Appice played drums (great as he does). And it´s true, to be in front of these real monsters of rock (Ozzy, Geezer, Tony and Vinnie) was completely amazing and magic. An unique experience.

The same feeling when you are singing the "smoke on the water" in a Deep Purple show. They both are already history, and we are lucky of enjoying them. :rolleyes:

Offline Sirius13

• R.I.P.
  • Loyal Dreamer
Concert reviews
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005, 09:39:21 pm »
Hehe, JR, you have some good taste in music!  Sounds like you've seen some fantastic concerts  :)

I have also been lucky enough to meet Tony Iommi, who was very cool, signed my Sabbath albums and chatted at length.

It is the only time I have ever been awestruck at any time in my life.  He had a real presence, just like the legend he is, but he was so friendly, a great guy.

I also have seen Cathedral supporting Black Sabbath, which was on the Cross Purposes tour, probably about 1993.  :)
www.spiritusmortis.com

Offline Jo Ta Erre

• Loyal Member
Concert reviews
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 10:38:26 pm »
Sirius, have you ever seen the 1968 year Rolling Stones´ "Rock & Roll Circus" film? There you can see Tony Iommi playing guitar with...Jethro Tull. Yes, it shocked me too.  :blink:

Last year, other (little) giant shocked me; Mr. Ronnie James Dio. I´ve never seen him before and his show was really powerful. I think that Dio is one of these real monsters of rock i´ve said before, don´t you think? His works with Elf, Rainbow, Black Sabbath; his solo career...i can only say: chapeau!!! B)

And yes, you´re right again, i like going to concerts and i´ve seen very interesting shows..and i expect i will continue <_<  this weekend we have a double choice; on friday Graveworm, Communic, Numen and (i think that is confirmed) Ensiferum. And next day, saturday, Baron Rojo and Judas Priest. Noisy weekend B)

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
Concert reviews
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2005, 12:08:45 am »
@Sirus: Man you are my  idol!!! A secret concert before the Black Sabbath reunion... and even better than the Metallica - Anthrax 1986 tour you say.
Suddenly I am getting jealous :ph34r:. No seriously, good for you.
Unfortunately when I lived in my home country, the number of concerts was very limited. I began to see real big concerts when I moved to Canada (and then, following Murphy's laws, the big Metal groups started touring in Colombia :angry:).
To date the best I have seen here in Canada are:
2001 Slayer, Soulfly & In Flames
2002 Iron Maiden & Arch Enemy
2004 Dimmu Borgir, God Forbid & Necronomicon

The worst: 31-10-2004 Cradle of Filth & Blinded by Faith

Next in my agenda: 03-05-2005 Soilwork, Dark Tranquillity, Hypocrisy & Mnemic

@Jo Ta Erre: I saw Judas once back in 1990... they are AWESOME live. To see the duo Downing-Tipton making speak their guitars is quiet impresive.
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Jo Ta Erre

• Loyal Member
Concert reviews
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2005, 06:46:03 am »
Aluqak; I know. I saw them in 1997 (or it was 1998?) in the Jugulator tour, with Ripper Owens. If you can download the 1975 Rocka Rolla video. what shirts and haircuts!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink:

Offline Sirius13

• R.I.P.
  • Loyal Dreamer
Concert reviews
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2005, 04:42:05 pm »
Sirius, have you ever seen the 1968 year Rolling Stones´ "Rock & Roll Circus" film? There you can see Tony Iommi playing guitar with...Jethro Tull. Yes, it shocked me too. 

Last year, other (little) giant shocked me; Mr. Ronnie James Dio. I´ve never seen him before and his show was really powerful. I think that Dio is one of these real monsters of rock i´ve said before, don´t you think? His works with Elf, Rainbow, Black Sabbath; his solo career...i can only say: chapeau!!! 

And yes, you´re right again, i like going to concerts and i´ve seen very interesting shows..and i expect i will continue  this weekend we have a double choice; on friday Graveworm, Communic, Numen and (i think that is confirmed) Ensiferum. And next day, saturday, Baron Rojo and Judas Priest. Noisy weekend
[snapback]3412[/snapback]
Hey JR, I knew he joined Jethro Tull for 2 wks, but I didn't know that it made it into that film!  I'll have to check it out!  (thanks for the info, I love all things Sabbath  :) )

I agree with you about RJD, I saw him fronting Sabbath in '92, and he was amazing.  (Testament were the support, and I LOVE Testament, so I was very happy that day!).  Sounds like you've got a cracking weekend of music lined up.  I missed Priest on this tour and believe it or not I've never seen them live (I love 'em!).  I'm very jealous!  I know a couple of people who saw them a few weeks ago and they said they were fantastic!  I hope you enjoy yourself.  Graveworm could be interesting too, let us know how you get on.  :D

To date the best I have seen here in Canada are:
2001 Slayer, Soulfly & In Flames
2002 Iron Maiden & Arch Enemy
2004 Dimmu Borgir, God Forbid & Necronomicon
[snapback]3412[/snapback]
Hey Aluqak, Slayer are so good live, that's a neat one to have under your belt!  I saw them in about '91 on the same bill as Metallica, Machine Head & White Zombie.  They were so ferocious!  And I'm jealous you've seen Priest!  Must have been the Painkiller tour?  Great band.

The Metallica/Anthrax gig in '86 was special, it was just before Cliff Burton died (R.I.P.) and he was such a cool performer.  Thrash was growing up and it was happy times!

Let us know how it goes with Soilwork!  :D
www.spiritusmortis.com

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
Concert reviews
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2005, 04:55:18 pm »
Hey Aluqak, Slayer are so good live, that's a neat one to have under your belt!  I saw them in about '91 on the same bill as Metallica, Machine Head & White Zombie.  They were so ferocious!  And I'm jealous you've seen Priest!  Must have been the Painkiller tour?  Great band.

The Metallica/Anthrax gig in '86 was special, it was just before Cliff Burton died (R.I.P.) and he was such a cool performer.  Thrash was growing up and it was happy times!

Let us know how it goes with Soilwork!  :D
[snapback]3413[/snapback]
Yeap, I saw Priest in their Painkiller tour. I knew them back in 1987 (Ram it Down)... and Wow! I couldn't belive it when I got tickets for that concert. I could also had the chance to see them here in Canada in their Jugulator tour, but Priest without Rob Halford wasn't Priest for me.
Slayer was a pretty magical concert for me. When they played Mandatory Suicide (one of my faves) it started to rain as hell (huge summer-storm), and when the song finished... the rain finished too :o. That was huge.
About Soilwork, I'll let you know, I'm already "studying" for the concert :D.
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Jo Ta Erre

• Loyal Member
Concert reviews
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2005, 03:26:24 pm »
@ Sirius;
A few days ago, i discovered two strange records with Sabbath´s songs but...one of them played by an Estonian string band, (record´s name: String Quartet, Tribute to Black Sabbath). that reminds me Apocalyptica´s "Plays Metallica by four cellos" but more classical.
The other one, Sabbath´s songs as medieval ones; with medieval instruments and vocals; (the band is called Rondellus, and the record Sabbatum). All tracks are translated into latin (i think).
Curiosity; "a National Acrobat" is "Funambulus Domesticus" :lol:
You can find them easily in eMule.
cheers!

Offline Sirius13

• R.I.P.
  • Loyal Dreamer
Concert reviews
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2005, 05:53:22 pm »
@ Sirius;
A few days ago, i discovered two strange records with Sabbath´s songs but...one of them played by an Estonian string band, (record´s name: String Quartet, Tribute to Black Sabbath). that reminds me Apocalyptica´s "Plays Metallica by four cellos" but more classical.
The other one, Sabbath´s songs as medieval ones; with medieval instruments and vocals; (the band is called Rondellus, and the record Sabbatum). All tracks are translated into latin (i think).
Curiosity; "a National Acrobat" is "Funambulus Domesticus" :lol:
You can find them easily in eMule.
cheers!
[snapback]3429[/snapback]
Hehe, I'm aware of these, but haven't heard them. Perhaps I should try them out? :)

...there is also one called "Bangra Bloody Bangra", which is an Indian tribute to Sabbath  :wacko:

Funambulus Domesticus!  I like it!  :D
www.spiritusmortis.com

Offline Jo Ta Erre

• Loyal Member
Concert reviews
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2005, 04:06:46 am »
Hi ppl;
Coming back from zaragoza right now, where 9000 guys screamed and singed for two hours with the Priest. It has been a fantastic gig. Chapeau for the Priest ;)

Offline Sirius13

• R.I.P.
  • Loyal Dreamer
Concert reviews
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2005, 06:38:13 pm »
Hi ppl;
Coming back from zaragoza right now, where 9000 guys screamed and singed for two hours with the Priest. It has been a fantastic gig. Chapeau for the Priest ;)
[snapback]3441[/snapback]
Heya JR!  Sounds great, you should give us a full review!  :)

Can you remember much of the setlist?  Did they play Hellrider from the new album?  I reckon that one would be pretty cool live.  B)
www.spiritusmortis.com

Offline Jo Ta Erre

• Loyal Member
Concert reviews
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2005, 09:40:23 pm »
Hi, Sirius;
The gig started at 22 o´clock and the atmosphere was really great. Previously, Baron Rojo celebrate with us their 25th aniversary playing their classics for 45/50 minutes. So, people was very hot when at 22 lights switched off  and "the hellion" started. Halford appeared in a platform behind the drums, and started with "Electric eye"...after that, many jacket changes and a great show.
I think that this was the complete setlist:
01. The Hellion
02. Electric Eye
03. Metal Gods
04. Riding on the Wind
05. The Ripper
06. A Touch of Evil
07. Judas Rising
08. Revolution
09. Hot Rockin’
10. Breaking the Law
11. I’m a Rocker
12. Diamonds & Rust (Acoustic)
13. Deal with the Devil
14. Hellrider
16. Beyond the Realms of Death
16. Turbo Lover
17. Victim of Changes
18. Green Manalishi
19. Painkiller
Encore:
20. Hell Bent for Leather
21. Living After Midnight
22. You’ve Got Another Thing Comin’

Two hours later, with a pain in my neck, the Priest reunited finished the show, (sold out, 9000 guys)
After that, 3 hours and a half with the "angel of retribution" in the bus B)
You can find many photos (very interesting) at the Priest page.

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
Concert reviews
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2005, 02:34:18 pm »
WOW! You are talking about a set-list. They didn't play some of my faves (Nightcrawler, Blood red skies, and Solar Angels), but it seems it was very good concert. I hope we will have them here in Eastern Canada during the summer. For the moment the only confirmed show is in Toronto... the other venus are all in the US :(.
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Sirius13

• R.I.P.
  • Loyal Dreamer
Concert reviews
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2005, 05:32:30 pm »
Hi JR!  That sounds like a FANTASTIC show!!  :D  :D

I've seen the accoustic version of D&R on their DVD and I think it's great how it's come full circle back to the original accoustic version.  :)

I've gotta admit I'm a bit jealous, coz I love Priest!!  Glad to see that Hellrider in there just before Beyond the Realms of Death. Those two tracks alone are amazing!

And then they can end with the Victim/Manalishi/Painkiller trio! :wacko:

..and that's even before the encore!!   B)

Man, what it must be to be in a band with that kind of back catalogue.
www.spiritusmortis.com

Offline Jo Ta Erre

• Loyal Member
Concert reviews
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2005, 08:50:18 pm »
(Sirius13 @ Today, 05:32 PM)
Man, what it must be to be in a band with that kind of back catalogue.

Agree in 150%
Don´t forget  "Leather Rebel", "Exciter", "Ram It Down"...or "United" (now with the reunion :rolleyes: )

@Aluqak I think that the tour is not complete yet, maybe you will be lucky and they play near your city :rolleyes: If you like the Priest, you can´t loose them B)