Author Topic: Concert reviews  (Read 215934 times)

Offline Agnes

• Metal Princess
  • Loyal Member
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 09:56:25 pm by Agnes »

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
Re: Concert reviews
« Reply #121 on: March 24, 2007, 05:42:16 pm »
Great sound..and blood, blood, blood and blood everywhere. A soldier, Hitler/Jesus, a policeman, a junkie, George W. Bush and Pope Razinger bleeded for litres.
:roll: Man! I reallly would like to see that show :roll:
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Jo Ta Erre

• Loyal Member
« Reply #122 on: March 25, 2007, 04:02:24 am »
Great sound..and blood, blood, blood and blood everywhere. A soldier, Hitler/Jesus, a policeman, a junkie, George W. Bush and Pope Razinger bleeded for litres.
:roll: Man! I reallly would like to see that show :roll:

And the show was only an hour!!!

Well, coming to see MASTERPLAN and SAXON tonight in Bergara, sold out. Didn´t like too much Masterplan, but Mike Terrana was simply superb. About Saxon, great show, people screaming and good sound. Played for about 1:45 hours.
Me pica la medusaaaaaaaaarrrrrrggg!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
« Reply #123 on: March 25, 2007, 06:36:47 pm »
Beautiful pics, Agnes! Congrats! :)

Yesterday I went to the concert of a Hungarian black metal band, Harloch. Nice music, nice growls (in Hungarian), nice face-paint ^_^, a very enthusiastic band of young members. I hope they will write more songs soon.

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #124 on: March 25, 2007, 07:21:52 pm »
Congrats, Agnes,

that must have been quite an evening! :) You look extremely happy - perhaps because one of them is wearing a guitar only?  ¬¬

I have seen Tyr only for half an hour as support for Amon Amarth, but I hope to see a longer set in Wacken.

Cheers!

Markus
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 07:25:29 pm by Markus »
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #125 on: April 25, 2007, 02:35:55 pm »
Bussy night Yesterday.
We had Kataklism, Devildriver, Unearth and Dimmu Borgir in town.

The first group is deffenitively my fave band from this side of the world, and yesterday they proved me right... again. The sound, the attitude, the music, everything :yeha:
The second band was just OK. The frontman was a little bit too ... jerk for my liking.
The third band... good attitude, lots of energy, wrong kind of music. What the heck are they doing in this tour and why Kataklism has to open for them? There you have another two exitentialist questions to be put next to other unsolved issues such as: "Is there a life after death", "What's the origin of life", "Will Luth get her driving license", etc.

Dimmu... well, as usual they just gave us a good solid show. The sound wasn't good at the beginning, but they were able to fix it after two or three songs. The setlist was a little bit short (as usual) and lacked two of my favourite songs (Mäeltrom Mephisto and Tormentor of Christian Souls), but who cares. All in all, it was a nice evening and I went to bed with a smile :evil2:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 06:40:21 pm by Aluqak »
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline TheOFFman

• Leader of the Brave
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #126 on: April 25, 2007, 06:11:00 pm »
Could you write Dimmu set list, I would like to know what did they play? I like their first 3 albums, don't like other albums much.

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #127 on: April 25, 2007, 06:37:17 pm »
Could you write Dimmu set list, I would like to know what did they play? I like their first 3 albums, don't like other albums much.
There you go Offy:

Intro + Progenies of the Great Apocalypse
Vredesbyrd
Cataclysm Children
Kings of the Carnival Creation
A Succubus In Rapture
Sorgens Kammer - Del II
IndoctriNation
The Serpentine Offering
---Drum solo---  :wOOt:
The Chosen Legacy
The Insight and the Catharsis
---Break---
Spellbound by the Devil
Mourning Palace
Outro (The Fallen)

As you see, not many songs from their early albums. So...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Ereshkigal

• Dark Queen
    • http://matsleven.com/, catarsis-metalera.com, metalcritico.com
« Reply #128 on: May 22, 2007, 06:44:26 pm »
Well, this is not yet a review, but I thought you should know that on June 24 I will see Symphony X live!

If you have not gotten their last album, Paradise Lost, what are you waiting for?! it's the best ever!

I'm excited about this concert!  :yeha:

Ah! a review will follow, but more than a review an interview will ... I think I might actually interview the band the next day of the concert  :o
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 06:48:38 pm by Ereshkigal »

Offline Nighthawk

• Life on Mars?
    • Lust.fm
« Reply #129 on: June 08, 2007, 03:18:06 pm »
Saw Dream Theater last night and damn, was it a good show.

The setlist was more or less in the lines of this:

Overture 1928
Strange Deja Vu
Constant Motion
Take the Time
Endless Sacrifice
I Walk Beside  You
Dark Eternal Night
Forsaken
Panic Attack
Pull me Under

Encore:
The Spirit Carries On
Metropolis Pt.1

I have a sneaky suspicion that I forgot one song, but, um... can't really put my finger on it. [EDIT: Panic Attack & I Walk Beside You. Added]

They could've played more, goddamnit! Still, maybe it's good that they didn't - I was exhausted from all the jumping and singing and, being so frail and weak, more songs were likely to kill me.

Still, wouldn't be such a great loss.

They had some technical difficulties during the concert (not to mention that the sound could've been better), but other than that, they kicked ass.

Managed to get my ticket (which I intend to give to my better half - she was forced to go home right after the concert) signed by LaBrie, Myung and Rudess, but Petrucci and Portnoy decided not to come out of the bus. Why? Why, gods damn you, why?

Life has no more meaning.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 03:26:12 pm by Nighthawk »
Can't stop the signal.

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #130 on: September 25, 2007, 03:36:44 pm »
Well, well, well... the automn session has started, and it seems it's going to be a bussy one (more than twelve shows are on the schedulle for Quebec city alone :wOOt: ).
... And the start was given last night by Utlagr, Profugus Mortis and Finntroll.

The fisrt two are local bands. Utlagr plays some quality melodic black metal. I didn't know this band, and I was pretty surprised. They are in my list of bands to check out in the future.
Profugus Mortis (not to be confounded with Spiritus Mortis) is a folk metal band from Montréal... and well, if you want to hear how Quebec's folk music meshes with metal, you might want to check them out. I would simply put them in the party-band category :drunk: .

Finntroll needs no presentation. The show was tight, the sound was limpid and the crowd was really into it. I was particular hit by the quality and the energy of the (not so) new singer. He did a very good job last night. Only bad point: they didn't play Födosagan. However, all in all, it was a good night for metal. :)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 08:59:31 pm by Aluqak »
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #131 on: October 16, 2007, 03:45:44 pm »
I'm sorry for the double post, but it's time to make Eresh jealous :biggrin:
Last night I saw Daath, Dark Funeral and ...

Naglfar, live! :biggrin:
Yes, it was good. It, was DAMN good.

Can I make the others jealous too?... weeell... in two weeks I'll see Therion too. :lol:
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Ereshkigal

• Dark Queen
    • http://matsleven.com/, catarsis-metalera.com, metalcritico.com
« Reply #132 on: October 16, 2007, 04:05:31 pm »
:o!

Alu! Naglfar! Lucky you indeed and me jealous!

However, I will see Dark Funeral on Nov. the 11th  :blush: How was that show?

Last Sunday I saw Napalm Death! What can I say? freaking intense show!

Can't wait for more concerts!

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #133 on: October 16, 2007, 06:28:43 pm »
Dark Funeral... :unsure: ... Well, the sound wasn't good at all. I could barely recognise the songs, so it's difficult to judge if they played well or not. The setlist was OK, and the guys had a nice attitude on stage (contrary to some other black bands I've seen before). I guess it was worth the money, but I think I'll pass my turn if the come back soon.
Good luck with that Eresh :thumbup: ... oh man!... and Napalm live is ... is... breathtaking. Litteraly! You don't have time to breath between the songs.

Edit: You can take a look to some pics of the last night show here
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 09:00:28 pm by Aluqak »
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
« Reply #134 on: October 18, 2007, 03:41:30 pm »
So, yesterday Amon Amarth and Dimmu Borgir visited my city. There was another band to open the show but I was late so I only heard "You were so fucking great tonight!!!" from them, so I don't even know their name. :lol: I have to tell you that I went there mostly because of AA... :blush: but since I was there, I assisted to the otherwise great show of Dimmu too. What can I do, that's not my taste.

About Amon Amarth:

The sound was enough good, I liked that the lead guitar was very clear and well audible. Don't ask me for the setlist... :blush: but they played "Death in Fire" for me so I was satisfied. They didn't play "...And Soon the World Will Cease to Be" though. There were "Runes to My Memory" and "The Pursuit of Vikings" as well. I think the setlist was more or less the same as last time.

The scenery was very simple. They only had a big backdrop with the "With Oden on Our Side" logo. The guys were as nice as last time (a year ago?), real Viking gods. :wub: :lol3: There was the usual synchronised headbanging too.

They played less than an hour, only around 50 minutes. :( But Dimmu played only a little bit more too, so as I heard the people talking around me, this made the audience a bit disappointed.

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #135 on: October 30, 2007, 10:28:19 pm »
Hi folks,

I have just returned from a concert with Angelika Milster. She is pretty famous in Germany as a singer of musical roles and of schlager music - more classy than 95% of all schlagers, but still schlager. I went there mostly to do my mum a favour, and I was richly rewarded. Mrs. Milster sang a repertoire of mostly clerical classic music and a few well-chosen, really touching musical songs. She showed an incredible classically trained voice and amazing stage presence. The whole concert was accompanied by live organ music - no tape at all, contrary to my fears. :)

Of coure we were sitting in the first row; I had made sure of that. :ninja: After the show we went to Mrs. Milster, fetched an autograph on Mommy's newly bought CD and had a short, pleasant talk with the artist. My mum really has what it takes to make a dedicated concert visitor. :wOOt:

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #136 on: October 31, 2007, 01:41:27 pm »
Nice review Markus. It's been a while since the last time I went to a concert with my mother. I'll probabky try to catch up during the holidays.

OK, my turn now. If you read the shout box yesterday, you already know what am I going to talk about:
T H E R I O N!

First things first. I must reckon that I was very sckeptical before last night show. All the problems the guys have had during the tour, the tickets not selling well, Christopher saying in the official page that this will be the last tour in North America, etc, etc. So, I went there just to see what's up.... and the first thing I saw was a small crowd... half the size than the crowd from the last Therion show back in 2005. :disgust:

The first band that played last night was a local group called M.A.G. They play a very technical and progressive, almost jazzy, stuff. I don't know if I can call that "stuff" metal, but it is indeed good music. So, if you like good music, you might like this band (as I did last night).
Then came the Americans from Aesma Daeva (or something like that). It was not my cup of tea, but the people seemed to like their music. I guess that if you like bands like Nightwish, Leave's eyes or any other group built around an almost operatic female voice you might want to check them out... you will probably like them.

After a couple of beers and nice conversation with two guys around me, the lights went out at 9:25 pm, and Der Mitternachtslowe kicked off the show. By the end of this song I was already blown away. My God! what a set up have the guys put up on stage! It's far more dynamic than before, more fluid and more easy to enjoy. Snowy is a beast on stage and Thomas does a fantastic job. And the girls! :wOOt: ... yes, the girls add that little spice to make this show worth seeing again, and again, and again.
The set-list was virually the same that is turning around in the official forum. My personal highlights were Deggial and Wine of Aluqah played back to back, Son of the Staves of time, and the drum solo followed by Muslpeheim, Rise of Sodom and Gomorrah and Ginnungagap. The solo was fantastic, and on its own, it payed half the price of the ticket. Peter is just great... and then when Snowy and Thomas joined him with a drum each  :wOOt:... man, that made my night.
Then after two encores and a woderful cover (Thor the Powerhead as usual), I tried to catch up the guys on the backstage. However I could only talk to Thomas and had to leave early (I almost missed the last bus to go back home). Thomas is a very nice guy, by the way. We talk for five-ten minutes and he seemed very pleased with the show and with the crowd in general. He did not hide that everybody and was dead tired and looking forward to go back home after touring the whole American continent (from Argentina to Canada). Too bad I couldn't have my Gothic Kabblah bocklet signed by the other band members :bye: ... but hey! I had a very good show (so far, the best of the year) even if the odds didn't look well at the beginning of the evening. So, needless to say that today, I'm a happy man. :)

Next stop: Ensiferum ... in ten days :biggrin:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 03:32:09 pm by Aluqak »
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #137 on: November 06, 2007, 09:30:22 pm »
As some of you know, I was at concert of Apocalyptica...

Well, the concert was great - I cannot tell much about the visual part cause I am sooo small and I didn't see almost anything except sam hairtips or such. I was there just listening and could not believe I am there. You know I am 20 and I was not at any concert for 15 years... I am so dissocial person - I hate herds of people and so... but I encourage myself to go there. I felt like I was just listening to some better record not being at concert. Till the time when my friend push me up and I could see for some seconds what's happening at the stage. At that very moment I finally noticed I am here and they are the great Finnish guys playing cellos - only a few meters near me.

Apocalyptica played for 1h 45m I think and it was nice... really nice. The beginning was lukewarm but soon they turned harder stuff.
Many tracks were from older albums but they of course played tracks from the new: Worlds Collide. And some tracks like Helden and S.O.S. which I don't like at the album were absolutely wonderful at the stage. I liked both of them! And from others I like Last Hope, immortal Nothing Else Matters and one of my favourite: Somewhere Around Nothing.
They had to return to stage many times  :biggrin:
As the really last track the set "Seemann" and I am glad that the audience didn't call for more because Seemann was the greatest ending of the show.
And when they were leaving - from the speakers we could here (for me) the most sad track that they had ever recorded - Ruska. I almost cried...

The only thing which I would like to rebuke is that the percussion was to loud in comparison with cellos. I cannot say it was bad - because Mikko is such a good drummer and sometimes his parts were so strong that it seemed he is playing football with the percussion (: . But the cellos were a bit drowned in the sound of percussion and that was pity.
Despite of this - the concert was a strong experience and I liked it very much.

And this is the end of the fairytale...
But then again, who does.

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #138 on: November 09, 2007, 04:14:02 pm »
The November rain of concerts continues. Last night we had Ensiferum in town and teh Chief Anglefish won two free tickets for that show :wOOt: .
It all started with Moonlight, a local band that I have seen ... 8 times? ... it's not my cup of tea, but it would be fair to recognize that the have improved a lot since the first time a saw them 5 years ago. Then came another local band called Obscuris Romancia... or something like that. Kind of black metal with some touches that reminded me the old Cradle of Filth. I stayed seated in face of my beer during their show.
Then the maëltrom began. Esiferum kicked the stage and the crowd became litterally crazy :insane: . The atmosfere was there, the setlist was pretty good, but unfertunately the sound wasn't the best. Anyway, it was a good damn show and I got it free, so I cannot complain.
Offy: I know you are gonna see Ensiferum in a couple of weeks, and if you get the same quallity (excepting for the sound of course) that I had last night, your money is more than well spent. :thumbup:
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Jo Ta Erre

• Loyal Member
« Reply #139 on: November 11, 2007, 05:15:41 am »
Hi;
Corvus Corax played for an hour and a half their pipes an percussions tonight in Irun. It´s been a great surprise for me and my friends (except one of them, a little bit drunk). The sound was fantastic, and the band connected very easy with the audience.
Check them on this link: http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=3QWS1xUkUaA

p.d the show tonight had NOT orchestra and choir...only the 8 band members :wink2:
Me pica la medusaaaaaaaaarrrrrrggg!!!!!!!!!!