Author Topic: Reviews of Sitra Ahra  (Read 35422 times)

Offline TheOFFman

• Leader of the Brave
  • Loyal Dreamer
Re: Reviews of Sitra Ahra
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2011, 03:57:49 pm »
I have been play Therion albums for some months, including Sitra Ahra and their past works. Many new feelings appeared I need post my whole review some time later :biggrin:

Sure, do that once your feelings cool down  :D

Offline Ignacio

• www.shusho.com.ar
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2011, 06:05:45 pm »
Hi everyone,

I would like to try to put down in words some sensations about Sitra Ahra...

First of all, I normally force myself not to go too high on expectations about new albums as I think one has to respect the artists freedom and needs. What I am saying for exmaple is that I try not to demand from (lets say) Iron Maiden another Seventh Son of a Seventh Son or get upset with them for not doing it. Fortunately, Therion always delyvers "da shit" as the kids say today. High quality albums in wich you easilly perceive so much dedication, care and a will to continue pushing the horizons. This values made IMO the core of all Therion works.

Still, I tried to aproach Sitra Ahra with and open and clear mind. An effort that soon proved to be unnecessary because the album inmediatly caught my soul or what's left of it.

One of the things I love from this album is that kind of "arcane" feeling it injects. I like specially the "theatrical" touchs (Phantom of the Opera influence in Unguentum Sabbati anyone?) and as always that middle-east and exotic arrangements in the melodies. I cannot review each song or pick a few as favourites becasue everytime I want to listen to one in particular I end up listening the whole disc again and again. In fact, I think the disc is better apreciated playing it from start to finish.

I've found in Sitra Ahra an excellent album and a very representative piece of Therion's works.

Thanks Lord Chtulhu for Therion  :cht:
Always in zugzuan.

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2011, 08:10:37 pm »
Hey Ignacio,

I think an open mind is the only way to approach a new Therion album because each album is so very different from the others. Just as you, I found Sitra Ahra catching from the very first spin.

On "Unguentum Sabbati" there is definitely a big cameo of the Phantom of the Opera! I wouldn't even call that an influence, in my eyes (or ears) it's a quotation. I love that song very much, btw, and especially enjoy the outro. Makes you see the witches riding on the storm ecstatically, tumbling down, down, down endlessly and still enjoying themselves like mad. :)

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline Ignacio

• www.shusho.com.ar
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2011, 01:03:44 am »
Hey Ignacio,

On "Unguentum Sabbati" there is definitely a big cameo of the Phantom of the Opera! I wouldn't even call that an influence, in my eyes (or ears) it's a quotation.

Absolutly, its a straight quotation. Quite a pleasant one certainly.

Makes you see the witches riding on the storm ecstatically, tumbling down, down, down endlessly and still enjoying themselves like mad

I "saw" a different picture in mind the first time I listened the song, like some kind of mountains crambling down and dark hellish rituals. Anyway, it changes after you try to catch up the lyrics or read them rigth away. This makes me think about a nice idea for a topic: "What do you see while listening -insert a Therion song here-...".

Always in zugzuan.

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2011, 08:33:27 am »
I see, Ignacio!

Well, my first spin was with the booklet open, reading the lyrics right along. I think I even knew what the title meant before I got the album. :)

That's a nice topic idea! :wOOt: Go ahead and open it. :)

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.