Author Topic: National news.  (Read 154782 times)

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Re: National news.
« Reply #300 on: April 07, 2014, 11:51:43 am »
That doesn't sound like an overwhelming majority, unless your village has only 17 inhabitants who are entitled to vote...

I daresay you're not truly happy about the overall outcome of the elections?

Cheers, anyway!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
« Reply #301 on: April 08, 2014, 07:58:08 am »
No. But many are so, it seems. :D Never mind - all politicians are the same, anyway....

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #302 on: November 09, 2014, 03:33:03 pm »
Here is a resurrection!

Hey Luthy, can you please tell me what the heck is going on in Spain? I read news lately and it seems there is some huge humbug about a referendum in Catalonia.
I am not really sure if the articles in our news (website news) are true... but from what I read, it would almost appear to me that Mr. Mariano Rajoy overslept the end of dictatorship a bit?
I don't like what I read in the news  :(
But then again, who does.

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
« Reply #303 on: November 09, 2014, 05:23:14 pm »
And the resurrection continues!! Here I am!!  :biggrin:

What's going on? Well... I'll try to summarize, but it's pretty hard to do so in a few lines! I could have informed you all more, but I didn't want to be "too boring" with the subject...  :pop:

Yes, there's a big mess right now, and a great celebration too! Today Catalans can "vote" for our future, although the vote is not really useful or legal, according to the Spanish government. Let me explain a little:

Catalan people always felt not fully as a Spanish one: not everyone, for sure, and it usually meant no real need to "separate". For instance, five years ago, if you asked me, I felt a lot more Catalan than Spanish, but I didn't want to go apart. The thing is, a part of the Spanish people (not all, again, but an important part) like to criticise Catalans and, what's worse, the current Popular Party government knows that criticising Catalans makes them win a great deal of votes (in Catalonia, the Popular partly has already few voters, so no danger of losing too much). With the current government, it went from bad to worse. The Education ministry wants to change our education system (where Catalan is the main language), changing our law, our believes, our tradition... etc, etc.

Catalonia gives a lot of money to the central government, but receives every year less. We understand that, if we are a rich part in Spain, we can share it with other poorer parts. Problem is: we receive so few that a lot of important infrastructures are every year worse (like the train I use every day to go to work!). They promise something by law, and then they change the law without problem. These are only little examples...

A few years ago, with the previous government, it was approved a new "Estatut" (some laws for Catalonia in which there was stated the money we would give and received, our education system, etc.). The governement said they would approve what Catalonia will approve. We all vote in a legal consultation, and it was for the new Estatut. Then, Spanish governement started cutting one thing here, another there. With the Popular Party in the power, the Estatut was simply reduced to nothing.

From this point on, a lot of Catalan people who had no problem with being Spanish changed its mind, and started asking for a consultation about becoming independent or continuing in Spain. Three years ago like 2 milion people (according to some media... it might be less, but more than 1 milion, for sure!!) made a huge demonstration in Barcelona. One year ago, again, a lot more than one milion Catalans made a human chain from south to north of Catalonia, asking for the consultation. This year, again and again, even more people made a giant "senyera" (our flag) in the center of Barcelona. The greatest part of these people wants independence, but not everybody!! I know a lot of people who feels good in Spain but wishes to be able to vote for that.

The Catalan governement finally said yes to the consultation, set for today, 9-november. Spanish government hurried as ever before to report that to the Constitucional Tribunal and declare this illegal. Then, Catalan government changed the type of vote: it would be not a consultation with legal validity, so nothing illegal would be done. It would be no official... it's not what we wanted but at least, it was something... Even that non-official-consultation has been reported to the Constitutional Tribunal and banned. But people here all wanted to vote, to say what we want, to know how many people wants to remain like we are or to change our status, and the "consultation" is being done.

Today I've voted. My parents-in-law (my mother-in-law is not born in Catalonia, like thousands or milions of people here, and voted the same), Xiquet and I voted. At midday, more than one milion people had voted... and a lot of ours yet to vote! Almost everyone I know wants to be able to say our opinion, whatever this is. Is that not democracy?

The great problem is that the Spanish government is afraid. Every time they say something against Catalans, or cut some money, or want to change our education system, or... a new pro-independence is born. And they fear that a legal votation, like the one made in The Wales, would say we want the independence. Believe me, five years ago, it was impossible: it has been they who made a lot of us change our minds! If anything changes, people here will be every day more against Spain.

Today we've been able to vote. Let's see what happens tomorrow. Only thing sure: our wish of independence is fully peaceful. If any violence had happened (very few), it has been started for pro-Spain and extreme-right-wing people. We made several demonstrations with one or two milion people (from a 7 milion people "region") and no violence had happened. But, again, from some Spanish media, they want people to believe we can be dangerous. No war will become from that, we are not that way.

We only want to be treated with fairness, and be able to express ourself in a democratic way. It seems Spanish government fears democracy...

Sorry, I almost never speak about this subject so... the day I do, I can't summirize it short!  :lol3:

PS. I'm curious... what your media says?  :innocent:
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 05:32:37 pm by Luth »
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #304 on: November 11, 2014, 12:06:10 pm »
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #305 on: November 13, 2014, 10:50:34 am »
Thank you very much for the explanation and the link :)

From what I read in our newspaper, there was basically written some things you mentioned. Mainly that Catalonia gives a lot of money to the budget - ie feeds the poor parts of Spain, but that it receives less and less money which means the economics etc. start to fall.

They also wrote that some politicians think that it's only a question of the Catalonian pride and has nothing to do with the life standard.

The last one I read was mentioning some crap what the prime minister Rajoy said: "We will not let people from Catalonia to destroy Spanish unity". That one sentence gave a pretty good laugh. And some other of his jibber jabber about how bad Catalonia is. Then there was the opposition - opinions of people who are related to the referendum etc. Where they mentioned the problems with money et cetera. This one felt more like they are accusing the Spanish government of oppressive behaviour towards Catalonia.

This whole article in the end seemed more like

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #306 on: January 07, 2015, 05:24:05 pm »
Gosh. God knows I am not much of fan of France.... but this? I am so sorry for all the folks. :(   (And yes, I am also sorry for other people dying like Syria etc. but this is so close that it scares me a bit, right.)

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #307 on: March 24, 2015, 09:44:46 pm »
Last Saturday I was with Xiquet in the opera to watch "Sigfried", a fantastic opera (the best of the three we've seen so far by the Nibelungen Cycle). Today, now, I've just known that two singers from there were at the plane that had crashed today, one of them with her little baby child. I don't know yet if they were the singers we saw, as there are two singers for each character, and they sing only half the days. But even so, it made me feel even worse about the accident :(

PS. They were. They played Alberich and Erda. Sad :(
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 09:59:48 pm by Luth »

Offline Agnes

• Metal Princess
  • Loyal Member
« Reply #308 on: March 25, 2015, 08:09:05 am »
I'm so sorry to hear that, Luth..

Terrible accident..

:bawl:

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #309 on: March 25, 2015, 06:57:14 pm »
 :hug2:

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #310 on: May 04, 2015, 10:40:09 am »
This is sad :( I'm sorry Luth.

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #311 on: February 29, 2016, 01:21:43 pm »
A Hungarian film got the Oscar for best foreign film! :yeha:

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #312 on: March 02, 2016, 04:04:11 pm »
Congratulations!!!!  :biggrin:

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #313 on: July 14, 2016, 10:27:23 am »
Which movie was that, Lucy? :)

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer