Author Topic: Metal culture studies  (Read 3938 times)

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
Metal culture studies
« on: October 05, 2007, 05:33:09 pm »
Hellooo there!

I've started a similar topic in the official forum, but I'd like to do same here... just to join those NTSMS members that don't visit the official forum on regular basis.
Here we go:

Hi everybody,
I am writting in behalf of a friend of mine. He's a Colombian anthropologist and he would like to start a study on urban cultures, especially metal, in our homecountry. However, he's having problems finding useful refences for his project. Do you know of any previous study made on this subject in any country ?
For the moment, he just want to know what has been done, where and how. He is looking for any serious study, paper, thesis or dissertation based on real and measured data that have been published by any serious journal, publisher or university faculty. He is not looking (at least for the moment) for papers expressing personal opinions or describing "observations" such as the editorials writen on some metal magazines or webzines.
If you have any idea of where or who he could contact in order to have such information, please post it here. Feel free to send me P.M. if you feel that this information should me kept out of the eyes of the rest of the world.

Thanks in advance!
A. :blink:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 05:54:06 pm by Aluqak »
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
Re: Metal culture studies
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 12:43:16 am »
I read somewhere that there was a study done in a school of talented children which proved that a lot of them listen to Metal.
I'd love to find it for you, but I just don't remember where I read it... I think Loke or Deathy should. :innocent:
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline deathdancer

• Revolution Leader
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • So sexy
    • http://vargagrav.com
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 12:30:14 pm »
I think Loke or Deathy should. :innocent:
Eh? Why me?

As for my country, in newspapers and such... metal is refer as "heavy metal" (witch annoys me  :mad: ). Newspapers know shit about metal.
I don't know of any good article or study.   
Life's a bitch... and than you die...

English killer member #3
Therion Society member

Offline IronCretin

• Every tear I shed/Is for you
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 11:58:10 am »
Too easy:

Gross, Robert L (1990).  'Heavy Metal Music: A New Subculture in American Society.'
Journal of Popular Culture; Summer 1990; 24, 1; Academic Research Library
pg. 119-130

Breen, M. (2006??) 'A stairway to heaven or a highway to hell?:
Heavy metal rock music in the 1990s', Cultural Studies, 5:2, 191 - 203
To link to this article: DOI: 10.1080/09502389100490161
URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09502389100490161

And my personal favorite:

Avelar, I. (2003).  'Heavy Metal Music in Postdictatorial Brazil: Sepultura
and the Coding of Nationality in Sound' Journal of Latin American Cultural Studies,
Vol. 12, No. 3, 329-346.

He shouldn't have any trouble accessing these articles if he's associated with a particular institution.  I think the Sepultura one would be very relevant if he's looking for local effects, as Brazil is relatively close to Colombia. . .  Should be able to fine some other decent articles in the bibliographies as well.

~The (Studious) Cretin~