Author Topic: Black Sabbath and movies  (Read 6863 times)

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
Black Sabbath and movies
« on: May 20, 2007, 11:05:32 pm »
As you can imagine, I've set this title to make enter the Black Sabbath official fan here, or The_Sabbath_Watchers instead  :nana:

This weekend I've started to watch a movie, but I've seen only half of it (too late when we started to see the movie), so I'll end it next Friday or Saturday. It's "Almost famous", a movie where a very young rock'n'roll fan is asked to follow Black Sabbath in order to review his concerts. For what I've seen, the movie tries to show the rock music, the groupies, the drugs, the sex... all involved with music in the 70s.

Have anyone seen it? I can say I like it a lot, although I must finish the viewing before saying my opinion  :idea:
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Sirius13

• R.I.P.
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • RebornThroughHate-We'llSlashYour NecksUntilYouDie
Re: Black Sabbath and movies
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 11:32:23 pm »
Hiya Luthy!

...I'd heard of this film, but haven't seen it, and I didn't realise that there were any Sabbath references in it.  So out of curiosity I will make a note to check it out.  I had a quick look at the synopsis on the 'net and it seems that the Sabbath part of the story is just a short piece at the start... but still, the film looks interesting in its own right.  Thanks for the tip!  :)

Let me know what you think of it when you've had chance to watch it all!  :)

PS  My favourite Sabbath reference in a film is the 'mini-stonehenge' sequence in Spinal Tap.  :biggrin:
It is taking the piss out of the 1983 Ian Gillan-fronted Sabbath, who built a Stonehenge set that was so big it didn't actually fit in any of the venues. "It was bigger than the real thing" observed Tony Iommi. :lol:
voces muy confusas entran en la mente!!!
www.spiritusmortis.com

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 11:36:32 pm »
Well, I've seen 45 min, and I left the movie with the young reporter going with the Sabbath gig... not so small part, as more than 30 min out of 45 happen with the Sabbath band  :tongue:

Sure I'll explain my opinion once I had it, don't worry. I can't wait until seeing the movie until the end  :ninja:
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Sirius13

• R.I.P.
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 05:43:31 pm »
...not so small part, as more than 30 min out of 45 happen with the Sabbath band  :tongue:
Cool!  All the better  :)

I'll definitely be checking this one out.
www.spiritusmortis.com

Offline Loke

• Twisted Bard
  • let the twisted pipes blow
    • me
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 12:09:46 am »

Well im not very into movie critics but ... well ill try :

Almost Famous is director and writer Cameron Crowe's nostalgic and autobiographical depiction of his early obsession with music and, as a naïve and impressionable 15-year-old, his baptism in the intoxicating font of rock journalism. Set in 1973, a period when music was searching for an identity as the peace and love of the sixties was only an acid flashback away and punk had yet to vent its spleen, Crowe’s world is still innocent and safe.

The film mixes fact with fiction. The central band, Stillwater, fronted by the wistful Russell Hammond (Billy Crudup), is an amalgam of many of the bands Crowe encountered during his stint at Rolling Stone, while some of the characters are key figures of the time. The evocative soundtrack and clothes are essential elements in recreating the look and feel of a period that now appears so benign.

William Miller, played with a subtle blend of vulnerability and maturity by Patrick Fugit, is how Crowe saw himself: an awkward, sheltered boy yearning to belong. Brought up by their overly protective mother (Frances McDormand) William's world opens up when his older sister leaves home and donates her illicit record collection to the curious teenager. He escapes into music and soon becomes an authority, writing for his school magazine before encountering the iconoclastic rock journalist Lester Bangs, played with mischievous glee by the wonderful Philip Seymour Hoffman, who gives him invaluable advice and his first commission.

When he later gets an invitation to write for Rolling Stone and tour with the ascending Stillwater, Miller becomes exposed to the nefarious goings on associated with life on the road. He is both exhilarated and appalled, his conservative upbringing has ill-prepared him to deal with the world of drugs, groupies and egocentric musicians.

Crowe confesses to spending ten years writing and then abandoning the script as he struggled to find the core of the story. And while Almost Famous is engaging enough, you sense that ultimately Crowe was still undecided as the various storylines compete for attention. There's William's relationship with his mother as he tries to reconcile his loyalty with his newly found independence. There's his infatuation with the vivacious and tragic groupie Penny Lane (Kate Hudson). There's the conflict between his objectivity as a journalist, to be "unmerciful" as Bangs commands, and his desire to be accepted by his heroes.

yo yo yo ;)
Scripta Manet

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 06:20:18 am »
Stillwater? I understood the band was Black Sabbath...  :blink:

I'll have to clean my ears... or re-hear that part again  :lol3:

Offline Sirius13

• R.I.P.
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 05:58:37 pm »
removes custard from Luthy's ear...

STILLWATER not SABBATH!!!
www.spiritusmortis.com

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 06:05:11 pm »
Ears fall in little tiny pieces.

Offline Sirius13

• R.I.P.
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 06:11:48 pm »
Quote from: Sirius13
removes custard from Luthy's ear...
Ears fall in little tiny pieces.
Looks like that's a clear lesson for us all:

Never underestimate the importance of custard
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 06:13:44 pm by Sirius13 »
www.spiritusmortis.com

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 06:16:53 pm »
Eats custard before Aluqak hears about it and gets her tiny little ear pieces back and glued.

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 06:19:16 pm »
Eats custard before Aluqak hears about it and gets her tiny little ear pieces back and glued.
Eats Luth's ears
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 06:19:40 pm »
Damn! Too late! Again with no ears  :bawl:

Offline Jo Ta Erre

• Loyal Member
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 06:14:56 pm »
Hi, i saw this film a few years ago, too many, maybe. I think the band is called Stillwater, because there were some legal problems with Black Sabbath (not allowed to use the name, but it´s about that band). Something like this happened with Rockstar film and Judas Priest (everybody knows that Mark Wahlberg was Ripper Owens).
...And sorry for my english, its worse than yesterday but better than tomorrow. :hit: :hit:
Me pica la medusaaaaaaaaarrrrrrggg!!!!!!!!!!