Author Topic: Pirates of the Caribbean  (Read 8330 times)

Offline Nighthawk

• Life on Mars?
    • Lust.fm
Pirates of the Caribbean
« on: May 24, 2007, 03:24:45 pm »
I probably won't get many replies, but still I'd like to hear your views. Erm, read your views, anyway.

Right.

Yesterday I went to see Pirates of the Caribbean 3: At World's End (the premiere of sorts here) and, um... well, I *am* a Pirates fan, so I'm a bit biased, aren't I?

I was blown away with how little they took themselves seriously - the movie is even a bigger funfest than the last two Pirates movies (which says quite a bit - those of you who've seen the legendary 'Wheel of Fortune' scene know what I mean). If you haven't seen the movie, I'd recommend it, but be warned - thar be plenty more o' Wheels where that came from.

Johnny would bring life to a broken-down drink dispenser and, Cthulhu be praised, by the end of the movie I lost the urge to tie Orlando Bloom's guts in a Gordian knot.

Keira is, apparently, Winston Churchill preincarnated.

Geoffrey has more arrs and yaarrs and har har har!s up his sleeve than you'd give him credit for.

Bill Nighy has a weird accent.

Kevin McNally is just plain fun.

Midgets and big guns don't mix. Or, rather, they do. So do undead monkeys and cannons.

The best place for a wedding is in the middle of a bloodbath. Brainstorm - a baptism would work well in such an occasion, too.

Tom Hollander has shipwright-issues.

Fun, fun, fun!

I won't go into spoiler-infested waters, because it's more fun to watch the movie with all the plot twists waiting around the corner. Then again, even if I told you everything, I'd still be a fun movie. And that's what I love about Pirates of the Caribbean - they're fun. It's the Indiana Jones of my generation... which is not to say that Indy didn't raise me (along with Han, mind you.... come to think of it, Harrison Ford was a surrogate father to me). But this... this is our movie, baby.

Oh, and, btw, Keith Richards rocks.

Pun intended.
Can't stop the signal.

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
Re: Pirates of the Caribbean
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 06:04:35 pm »
I liked a lot first movie, but second one dissapointed me A LOT. I'll probably watch the 3th, though  :insane:
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Ereshkigal

• Dark Queen
    • http://matsleven.com/, catarsis-metalera.com, metalcritico.com
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 06:46:15 pm »
:- o I thought both movies were great! I stll haven't seen the 3rd 'cuz lack of time.

Besides, Johnny Depp  :wub:

Offline Elena

• Princess Dream Weaver
  • Loyal Dreamer
    • nemesis corner
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 07:59:27 pm »
 :w00t_jump: I hope to see it this weekend - but I already saw a "making of" and lots of pictures :)
Life it what happens while you wait for your dreams
Joy and beauty dance where open eyes meet
Fortune does not mean to have the best of everything, but to make of everything the best
She loves him more than he would ever now, he loves her more than he would ever show

Never ever victim

Offline Nighthawk

• Life on Mars?
    • Lust.fm
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 11:04:10 pm »
I liked a lot first movie, but second one dissapointed me A LOT.
How so? That is, wherefore? The movie in general disappointed you, or where you bummed by the ending?

I'll probably watch the 3th, though  :insane:
3rd ;)

I'd definitely recommend it.

I'm a big fan of his work, so having him on board was like going to the store, finding out they've got your favorite brand of ice-cream dirt cheep and then having a spontaneous orgasm just to top of the initial happiness.

In a completely straight kind of way.

I hope to see it this weekend - but I already saw a "making of" and lots of pictures
Making of? Where?
Can't stop the signal.

Offline Ereshkigal

• Dark Queen
    • http://matsleven.com/, catarsis-metalera.com, metalcritico.com
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 11:15:10 pm »

I'm a big fan of his work, so having him on board was like going to the store, finding out they've got your favorite brand of ice-cream dirt cheep and then having a spontaneous orgasm just to top of the initial happiness.

:lol3: that's a good way to describe it. Indeed, I really like the characters he tends to play in movies, very unique, besides being a great actor, and did I mention cute?  :roll-eyes:

Offline Loke

• Twisted Bard
  • let the twisted pipes blow
    • me
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 11:35:50 pm »

Saw the last two and they were great , besides i dont miss any of johnny depp's movies, you know because of my phisycal resemblance to him and all that stuff, anyways as soon as i see the new one ill post again .

yo yo yo :)
Scripta Manet

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 03:16:05 am »
I didn't even see the second one last year. :lol: I guess I didn't have time to.
As for this 3rd one, I don't know, perhaps I'll watch it. It's coming out tomorrow here, so definately I'll watch it in a week or so, if I watch it all. :whistle:
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 01:46:35 pm »
I'll have to do some serious convincing work and/or sign a treacherous agreement with my g.f. if I want her to come along and see that movie with me. :ninja:
BTW, I like both of the previous parts... somehow I preferred the second movie, the phatom ship and everything on it is just great! Not to talk about the octopus-like monster, I would really like to be of those if I don't were an anglerfish. Hope to have some time this weekend to go and see it... along with Shrek the third!
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Sirius13

• R.I.P.
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • RebornThroughHate-We'llSlashYour NecksUntilYouDie
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 03:59:20 pm »
I liked a lot first movie, but second one dissapointed me A LOT. I'll probably watch the 3th, though  :insane:
I agree with Luthy!  (a first time ever!  :ninja:)

The second one was just too long and boring
voces muy confusas entran en la mente!!!
www.spiritusmortis.com

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 05:24:22 pm »
All second movie bored me a lot. The first one, on the contrary, was fantastic. I think I saw it 3 times (in the cinema)  :unsure:
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 05:24:51 pm »

I agree with Luthy!  (a first time ever!  :ninja:)

The second one was just too long and boring

:afaid: :afaid: :afaid:

I must be very wrong, then  :ninja:

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2007, 05:29:34 pm »
Not to talk about the octopus-like monster, I would really like to be of those if I don't were an anglerfish.

They remind me of Cthulhu. :lol3:

Offline Elena

• Princess Dream Weaver
  • Loyal Dreamer
    • nemesis corner
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2007, 09:11:16 pm »
... just heard a part of the soundtrack - it´s wonderful!! I hope to see the movie this weekend :)
yo ho
Fortune does not mean to have the best of everything, but to make of everything the best
She loves him more than he would ever now, he loves her more than he would ever show

Never ever victim

Offline Nighthawk

• Life on Mars?
    • Lust.fm
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2007, 11:01:50 pm »
I loved the second one, although, granted, it wasn't as good as the first movie - it did lack something. I didn't find it boring (quite the contrary), but it lacked that certain something something.

I've been listening to the At World's End soundtrack for a few days now... beautiful. Especially Parlay. :) The scene in the movie when the song plays is like something out of a Sergio Leone movie, only with a Pirates' twist. And the song... arrgh! Morriconesque :)

The beginning of the movie introduces the new theme - the song's called Hoist the Colours and it's darker than the uplifting He's a Pirate theme. Especially in the intro scene.

Also, the lyrics are the best case of foreshadowing I've seen in a while - but you just don't get it at the time ;)

(Well, foreshadowing of a sort)

Yo-ho, all together
Hoist the colours high
Heave-ho, thieves and beggars
Never shall we die
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 11:03:54 pm by Nighthawk »
Can't stop the signal.

Offline Elena

• Princess Dream Weaver
  • Loyal Dreamer
    • nemesis corner
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2007, 08:57:46 am »
 :yeha: I´ve seen it yesterday!! It´s a great movie - and if you´ll watch it I have an advice: stay in your seats after the movie itself and watch credits COMPLETELY!!!L  ;D

Never ever victim