Was there a man dismay'd ?
Not tho' the soldier knew
Some one had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do & die,
Into the valley of Death
Rode the three hundred.

Last week, I think it was Monday, I finally saw 300.

This was me after the movie:

:biggrin:

Over-the-top, lite, completely banal. Beautiful.

It plays out like a video game, so at one point I jumped up and tried to control the characters on screen. I swear, I managed to do a triple combo. WHAM! Nailed their persian asses.

Now, if one is looking for a serious, meaningful historical movie and is shocked to see 300 is none of the above, one is barking up the wrong tree.

It's not supposed to be a serious, meaningful historical movie - 300 is not about what actually happened, but, rather, about the legend that spawned from it.

I got what I expected and was overjoyed in all my geeky greatness with what I saw. Fun, fun, fun!

How about you?
Can't stop the signal.

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
Re: 300
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 05:39:41 pm »
Funny little comic, Nighthawk! :lol3:
I also liked 300, nice movie, it's like a great comic, based on the legend this great battle spawned as you say.
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Nighthawk

• Life on Mars?
    • Lust.fm
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 07:01:45 pm »
Funny little comic, Nighthawk! :lol3:
*bows*

The credit goes to Scott Kurtz :) Long live PvP!

I also liked 300, nice movie, it's like a great comic, based on the legend this great battle spawned as you say.
It's based on Frank Miller's comic, so that explains a lot :)

What I found funny is how Miller negated the homosexuality of the Greeks. He wanted to portray the Spartans as ├╝bermen and went so far as to make them mock the Athenians, who were philosophers and boy-lovers, when, in reality, they were all boy-lovers :) It was common for an older man to have a younger protege whom he instructed in all walks of life... including sex, although that was optional. But the man-boy love relationship was present. It was a normal thing, especially in Sparta.

I mean, it's nitpicking really :) But, as I've said, I don't hold it against the movie - I just found it funny how Miller wasn't willing to give them that little bit of fun.

But he *did* give them wolves the size of rhinos, rhinos the size of elephants and elephants the size of mountains, lesbian assassins and whatnot.
Can't stop the signal.

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 07:09:43 am »
I saw it the day before yesterday, and I didn't know that it is based on a comic, so I found it strange. Then yesterday I read about it on the internet and understood. Check this page, there is a comparison between some pictures of the original comic and film frames.

Offline TheOFFman

• Leader of the Brave
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 07:22:11 pm »
I got what I expected and was overjoyed in all my geeky greatness with what I saw. Fun, fun, fun!

What else can I say? I loved 300! I have read many negative critics but luckly every person I know loved the movie!  :)