Author Topic: National news.  (Read 154816 times)

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
Re: National news.
« Reply #180 on: July 23, 2012, 07:07:03 pm »
Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear that! :(  I did not know, I do not watch news... Usually they get me even more depressed...

We had a very severe forest fire 2 months ago... they still watch over that place. :(

The picture really seems horrible! I wish there were fewer careless people.
But then again, who does.

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
« Reply #181 on: July 24, 2012, 08:09:00 am »
Oh Luthy, I'm sorry to hear this. :( Take good care please!

Offline Agnes

• Metal Princess
  • Loyal Member
« Reply #182 on: July 24, 2012, 09:55:14 am »
I'm sorry to hear that, Luth. I cannot imagine what you could feel.. Please, be careful :*

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
    • http://ntsms.megatherion.com
« Reply #183 on: July 24, 2012, 08:27:28 pm »
Thanks to all for your concern... No need to worry for me, really! It has been (still is) terrible for people living near where the wildfire spreads, but that's not me.

I've just read that today it has "entered the phase of control", meaning it still burns badly, but the perimeter is set and it's supposed not to grow too much until it can be extinguished. Last night humidity grow from 30% the previous days to 70%, temperatures decreased and wind stopped.... so only a huge rain would made the conditions better to kill that fire  :ninja:

Today the colleague of mine who was not able to leave this weekend arrived and told us about it. He was in one of the towns where people had to lock themselves at home during part of the time. They had no electricity neither phone... and with smartphones batteries which lasts so few without plugging them on, they were almost with no communication at all. He said sometimes he or other people would go to the plaza where the police was, to know for the news of the fire. He saw the fire spreading from what seemeed a safetely distance to the courtyards of the houses on the edge of the forest. He even told us that even birds spread fire; you could see them on the branch until the last moment, not flying until the fire really caught on them, so they tried to flee, falling further on the ground and thus spreading the fire on them  :blink:

Everybody of his family is ok, it was only the anguish of those hours (or days)...

Unluckily, we're a country of fires: very dry sometimes, but plenty of woods (not taken care woods, but a lot of "savage" ones, more with the crisis and lack of resources). Woods and wild vegetation + drought = more wildfires than we can afford. If you add stupid people who don't care if they throw the cigarette to the road, or make a BBQ or whatever...  :bawl:
NTSMS Rocks! - ignore everyone else!  (Rick dixit)
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #184 on: July 25, 2012, 03:32:04 am »
Thank you for the update, Luth! I've heard on our news today that things are starting to get better for you down there.

Must be strange to be cut off like that, having to walk for news just like the old times... but the worry and anxiety would be worst, I guess.

Best regards

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #185 on: July 31, 2012, 10:16:06 pm »
Well, it seems that yesterday the fire was officially and totally extinguished. But we didn't hear a lot about it at the weekend... I suppose it was already put out but until yesterday it was not officially so.  :ninja:
English killer member #1 (anyone else want to join?) and future German killer #1!

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #186 on: August 01, 2012, 12:14:02 am »
That would be good news, at last!
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #187 on: August 01, 2012, 07:50:23 pm »
Great! :)

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #188 on: August 05, 2012, 01:27:08 pm »
How is it now? What do they do with the burnt areas etc?

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #189 on: August 05, 2012, 03:24:15 pm »
Well, as far as I know those fires are really extinguished now. I think they are watering the area the following hours/days to avoid the fire to grow again, and right now there's no more danger for it to happen. Problem is that all country is quite dry and real heat starts now, so it's very likely to burn something one place or another... In fact, now there are other fires, but none so huge as this one, at least that I know...  :ninja:

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #190 on: August 05, 2012, 03:34:52 pm »
Hm, so I hear... it's all the same with these southern countries, I am afraid... Greece, Spain, Italy, Croatia or Portugal... all of them have the same problem with the fires.

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #191 on: September 12, 2012, 10:12:01 am »
Hey there, Luth,

you pointed out [/url=http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/11/catalan-independence-rally-barcelona]this article[/url] to us in the shoutbox. So you were to that demonstration? What was it like?

So far I haven't heard or read even the slightest bit of this demonstration on German news, even though it was such a big event. We'll see if anything pops up...

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #192 on: September 12, 2012, 11:31:55 am »
Here also nothing on the media  :blink:

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #193 on: September 12, 2012, 04:32:54 pm »
Hiya!!

Yes, I was there!! I can share some links with you...

The New York Times
The Washington Post

The Frankfurter Allgemeine
Der Spiegel

I'm pretty aware that the news, although in a lot of international press, might not be on the top-ten news of the day. But if you look for it (or if you have a catalan newspaper who made the search for you), you can find it  :nana:

I suppose you'll be able to see the panoramic three photos displayed HERE.

The reasons of the demonstration are not easy to explain, but let's say that people here is more and more for independence from Spain. I didn't thought independence was the option some time ago, but things have changed, and I, as a lot of people who were more "in the middle" now think that we must ask for more than before... even if that means saying good bye to Spain  :disgust:

Please, note that the demonstration, although massive (1.500.000 people according to the majority of the non-commited media), was absolutely peaceful. Not a single incident happened. Only a huge mass of people from every corner of Catalonia at the same time in the same city, Barcelona, and with a single lema: CATALONIA, NEW STATE OF UE!

:cht:

EDIT:

Two videos made by me:

Something is boiling.

More!

And... some pictures. Sorry for the banners... with some exception, almost all are in Catalan  :innocent:

My album in FLICKR.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 06:00:18 pm by Luth »

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #194 on: September 14, 2012, 06:35:33 pm »
Hey,

also some news here.

Today our country stated a prohibtion on alcohol with higher than 20 % of alcohol. The reason is (maybe You could hear in news?) that someone deliberately started to place a dangerous kind of "alcohol" into stores and such - it is not based on ethanol but on methanol. Methanol is very dangerous - if you are happy, you only get blind if you are not happy you die from intoxication.

We've got already 19 dead people and some others are in a serious condition still in hospitals - some will be blind, some might not survive. Who knows :(

So the government decided that best solution will be to establish a prohibtion for now.

You know the thing which scares me is the fact that with first deaths they thought it might be just some accident (by not doing the alcohol the right way You can get some bottles with methanol by an error) but now it's visibly clear this was made on purpose. :(

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #195 on: September 14, 2012, 06:45:44 pm »
Hi Kris,

no, I have not heard about it... but I've seen no news yet today, so it may have been on the TV and I didn't notized.

Those are really bad news. It must be some insane person who performed that... Is there any clue about the reasons? I suppose nothing is known right now, but tell us if anything is discovered.

:-[

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #196 on: September 14, 2012, 06:53:38 pm »
I have no idea... I mean if it was about the money for selling the alcohol (it is far much cheaper to make "alcohol" from methanol then from ethanol - but then alcohol from methanol is not drinkable right) the person would surely have to be aware of the fact that this is one-shot investment (your clients die) so I also believe they must be kind of insane.

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #197 on: September 14, 2012, 07:06:32 pm »
For what you say, it seems as if that kind of bottles might be from some local, unsafe seller. I mean... no real trademark would place methanol instead of ethanol, right? I don't see the reason to forbid ANY alcoholic drink over 20ยบ: If I buy the bottle from a known trade, it might be safe for sure, won't it?  :afaid:

Offline Persephone

• Star Rider
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #198 on: September 14, 2012, 07:17:54 pm »
That's the problem - it's whole country problem :(  Firstly it seemed to be just one part of Moravia, a local thing as You say, but then other people in different parts of the whole country came to hospital with the intoxication too :( So they established a prohibion. I think it is stupid and premature but I guess they have no other way.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 09:06:28 pm by Kris »

Offline Luth

• The Queen
  • Administrator
« Reply #199 on: September 14, 2012, 07:23:36 pm »
It's really bad  :blink: