Main Forum > Enter the voids of the OT-forum

National news.

(1/64) > >>

Loke:

Well, as we come from the most diverse corners of the globe, it good be nice to know a little bit what is happenning out there (i think hehe) so, let's keep us inform with the newest news in our cities of residence shall we...

well in mexico city this the thingy right now...

Mexican President Felipe Calderon's government wants to decriminalize first-time possession of small amounts of drugs in a move likely to draw criticism from U.S. anti-narcotics officials. ADVERTISEMENT

Under the proposed legislation, users found for the first time with 2 grams (0.07 ounces) or less of marijuana and small amounts of other drugs ranging from cocaine to methamphetamine would not be prosecuted.

The bill passing through Mexico's Senate on its way to Congress is a toned down version of legislation Calderon's predecessor,
Vicente Fox, pushed through last year but later vetoed after angry objections from Washington.

While the legally punishable amounts of drugs found on a first-time user are smaller than under last year's bill, the legislation appears to contrast with the tough stance Calderon has taken against drug-trafficking.

Since taking office on December 1, he has sent thousands of troops to smuggling and production areas wracked by violence that killed 2,000 people last year and has extradited top drug lords to the United States for trial.

Ruling National Action Party Sen. Alejandro Gonzalez, who heads the Senate's justice commission and supports the bill, said on Monday that decriminalizing possession of small quantities of drugs and taking some pressure off addicts would free up resources needed to pursue dealers.

"This isn't legalization," he said. "We're going to go much harder against drug dealers.

yo yo yo

Markus:
Hi there,

an excellent idea, Loke! Regarding your drug discussion: In Germany it has been practiced for years now that owners of small amounts of Marijuana or Hashish do not have to be prosecuted.

Besides the climate protection, the biggest topic in Germany these days is family politics. Our family minister has suggested to increase the number of places in nursery schools dramatically. This ignited a big discussion... some say that children will get psychic damages when they grow up in nursery schools. Others refer to the GDR where nursery schools were very common since 90% of all women worked. Some of these say "Do we want to raise our children like the communists did?" while others say "Calm down. Think of communism what you may, but nursery schools will help us solve some of our problems." There's a very heated discussion going on about whether nusery schools are acceptable in general and if so, how to pay the additional places.

Cheers!

Markus

Aluqak:
My turn now... and it's going to be a douple turn :ninja:
George W. was visiting my homecountry yesterday. This visit (his third in five years :blink:) has monopolized the Colombian media for almost a week. At the end of the day, either him or the Colombian president (Alvaro Uribe) said anything new: more money for the war, no dialogue with the guerrillas, etc, etc. On the sad side, I'd like to recall the passing of Octavio Mesa, one of the bigest folkloric artists of my homecountry. He was the inspiration source of the infamous "Camisa Negra" sang by Juanes. However, do not be fooled by that, his music was really cool and perfect for drinking and saying obsenities with your friends :drunk:. He died early this morning of heart failure at the age of 77. On the happy side: My team is on top of the Colombian football championship :biggrin:

Here in the mapleleaf country, the headlines are mostly related to the Québec's provincial elections. They are going to take place in two weeks, and tomorrow, we will have a debate on t.v.. And well, it's all about the same old discussion of independence from Canada and all that stuff. I have to say, that this is the third time I witness a provincial election here in Québec, and this is by far the most intelectually poor and devoid of clear ideas I've ever seen :sleep: . The worst past of it, is that these elections are probably going to be followed by federal elections during the summer :yawns:.

Oh! one side comment on loke's post: We had the "courage" to decriminalize the possesion of small amount of drugs in Colombia, and it basically changed.... nothing :ninja: . Our main problem is with traffic ("exportation") not with consumption. So probably, the results are going to be the same in Mexico. Well, obviously, the cops are going to have more time to pursue the big fish, and that could be good.

Markus:
Seriously, Aluqak: What is good about pursuing big fish? :lol3:

Our news today were dominated by the recent terror threats against Germany. :(

Cheers, anyway!

Markus

Loke:

--- Quote from: Aluqak on March 12, 2007, 10:23:12 pm ---

Oh! one side comment on loke's post: We had the "courage" to decriminalize the possesion of small amount of drugs in Colombia, and it basically changed.... nothing :ninja: . Our main problem is with traffic ("exportation") not with consumption. So probably, the results are going to be the same in Mexico. Well, obviously, the cops are going to have more time to pursue the big fish, and that could be good.

--- End quote ---

Well, it's about cultural aspects aswell, left wing mexicans will take this as an oportunity to say, "we told you , now he wants to legalize drugs our candidate was the good one" and such, but i think that decriminalization is also a good path to beging our way into the first world, or atleast into the second...hehe

yo yo  yo

efrem

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version