Author Topic: Travel Report to Lord of the Rings Exhibition  (Read 4888 times)

Offline Elena

• Princess Dream Weaver
  • Loyal Dreamer
    • nemesis corner
Travel Report to Lord of the Rings Exhibition
« on: March 10, 2007, 06:19:45 pm »
Hi folks,
last week I enjoyed some holidays - and since the official "Lord of the rings - Exhibition" stayes in Germany for some weeks, we deceided to visit it. Maybe some would want to read about...
Well, I thought it bigger but nevertheless it was worth seeing.
The exhibition is located in a movie park near Berlin. It was a little pity the park itself was still closed, it would have been much fun to watch all the other requisites and so on as well :( But I was there to visit LotR-Exhibition and that we did. What a wonderful visit! Ok, I have known most of the shown articels already from pictures I found in the internet but to see it in real is something different nevertheless. The most beautiful for me (of course) were the original costumes of Arwen and Galadriel - there were only three dresses (  :(  ) but its ok, they can´t only show this beautiful gowns just for me :) hehe. There were Arwens green and blue gown and Galadriel´s Mirrorgown. I have loads of pictures or this dresses out of the Internet but in real they look even more glamourous!!! It´s so fantastic!! amazing!
The other shown things are many production sketches by Alan Lee, John Howe and others, builted miniatures of "Barad-Dur" and "Orthanc" - even Treebeard was there :) I saw at least 5 monitors where people could watch interviews or short "making of" scenes (I guess many of them are on the Bonus DVDs as well).
They show weapons as well, made of different materials - wood, for the "only to show" people in the backround - plastic, also "only for the look" but for the closer looks :) - aluminium, for the fights. They showed an elvis sword in all three variations and a rohan sword in all three variations... we only could figure out the wooden ones - ok, the aluminium elvish swort was nearly sharp but in rohan style we couldn´t figure out which one is the real.
There were many many weapons shown and a whole box of "hobbit ears" and "hobbit feet" and so on - we watched a "behind the scene" for "Lurtz"-make-up - it took 11 hours to place the costume and mask around the actor.
In one corner of the exibition the theme was "forced perspective" - there was a bank to sit on - cut in two pieces, one was big the other side was small - visitors can buy a picture sitting on this bank with a second person (costs 5 Euros) -> one person looks tall like "Gandalf" the other one looks small like a hobbit (of course on the picture both figures sit beside)
In the foyer of the exhibition they sold some souvenirs - shirts, toy trucks, mugs, jewels and so on - one place they offered to buy a ring, looking like "the one ring" from the movie but you could choose which material you want (of course at different prices), the most impressing was "Titan black" but it was pretty expensive as well - and you could order individual engravings in it. They offered 4 "elvish" fonds.
All in all we were through within two hours - maybe a bit more.
Best wishes
Shelley
Life it what happens while you wait for your dreams
Joy and beauty dance where open eyes meet
Fortune does not mean to have the best of everything, but to make of everything the best
She loves him more than he would ever now, he loves her more than he would ever show

Never ever victim

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Re: Travel Report to Lord of the Rings Exhibition
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 07:15:53 pm »
Hey Shelley,

they had original stuff from the movies? Wow - that must have been a great day. Umm... were the dresses still there after you had left? :wink2:

Too bad that the rest of the park was still closed. I was there several years ago and quite enjoyed it; it's really worth spending a whole day there.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline Elena

• Princess Dream Weaver
  • Loyal Dreamer
    • nemesis corner
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 05:30:47 pm »
... yes, we thought so too - but nowhere in our ticket-mail was mentioned when the park itself opens - there were only comercials about this and that.... :( how disappointing - we wanted to have lunch there in "Restaurant Eisenherz" (should be a medieval one...) - but that´s life. It could have been worse.
The LOTR-exhibition was great enough :)  - and yes, the costumes still were there :)
Fortune does not mean to have the best of everything, but to make of everything the best
She loves him more than he would ever now, he loves her more than he would ever show

Never ever victim

Offline Elena

• Princess Dream Weaver
  • Loyal Dreamer
    • nemesis corner
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 05:48:14 pm »
btw, do you know about the musical?

Never ever victim

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 05:53:53 pm »
Umm... what musical? :unsure:
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline Elena

• Princess Dream Weaver
  • Loyal Dreamer
    • nemesis corner
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 07:40:34 pm »
 ;D Lord of the rings - musical  :biggrin:
->  www.lotr.com
Maybe it even comes to Germany anywhen... ??? or maybe I have to enter an airplane again, anywhen...  :afaid: or there will be a CD or DVD - anywhen  :)

Never ever victim

Offline IronCretin

• Every tear I shed/Is for you
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 01:19:26 pm »
Yeah, I went to that when it was down here in Aus. . .

I even stole Sauron's armor. . . or at least saw it. . .

~The (Not So Thieving) Cretin~

Offline Elena

• Princess Dream Weaver
  • Loyal Dreamer
    • nemesis corner
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 03:19:04 pm »
 :biggrin:  hehehe
Have you seen this material comparision of swords? Could you say which one is the real one in every case??

Never ever victim

Offline IronCretin

• Every tear I shed/Is for you
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 01:07:58 am »
LoL, no I don't think I could.  I think I remember reading the placard that said which was which and going, 'OH, it's so OBVIOUS. . . IAMAWESOME!'  Yeahhhhh. . .  The clothing was spectacular, esp. the dresses. . . I'M NOT GAY!

~The (Not So Awesome) Cretin~