Author Topic: You. . . Me. . . Us.  (Read 11201 times)

Offline IronCretin

• Every tear I shed/Is for you
You. . . Me. . . Us.
« on: April 16, 2007, 02:11:49 pm »
Crap. . . I just wrote this post. . . and now I have to re-write it. . . ok, well, I had this awesome intro to this thread all made up. . . but it got deleted.  Essentially, this is a thread to get to know the other Notesommes. . . Kinda quirky things that I thought might be fun. . . so here're the questions. . . feel free to add more if you so wish:

Favorite Book?
What song would you say describes some aspect of you (may be emotional, physical, anything, but is NOT necessarily ur favorite song)?  Also, paste the lyrics here. . .
Favorite pair of underwear?
Favorite superhero?
If you could choose when and where you die. . . what would you choose?
Science or Magic?
Do you believe in an afterlife?
Do you prefer Johnny Cash or Elvis Presley? Jimmy Page or Jimi Hendrix?

I think I had some more, but that's all I can remember.  .  .  I guess I'll start:

Book:
I guess Weaveworld, by Clive Barker.  It was the first book I read by him. . . I also really like The Great and Secret Show. . . but that's part of a series, so Weaveworld wins out.  It's kinda hard to explain what it's about.  Essentially there's this great carpet, into which is woven an entire new world. . . kinda sounds stupid, but it's awesome.  Like a fairytale for adults (DEFINATELY adults. . . or at least mature young adults, LoL).

Song: To Bid You Farewell, By Opeth. . . The last line of this song is absolutely stunning.

"I am awaiting the sunrise
Gazing modestly through the coldest morning
Once it came you lied
Embracing us over autumn's proud treetops
I stand motionless
In a parade of falling rain
Your voice I cannot hear
As I am falling again
Devotion eludes
And in sadness I lumber
In my own ashes I am standing without a soul
She wept and whispered: "I know..."
We walked into the night
Am I to bid you farewell?
Why can't you see that I try
When every tear I shed
Is for you?"

Undies:
Ummm. . . who WROTE this question???  I dunno, I always wear cotton boxers. . . they're all pretty much the same.  But, I like red plaid ones. . . dunno why. . . Or blue ones. . .

Superhero:
SPAWN, without a doubt. . . Such a cool superhero. . . I mean, his costume, his character, his angst, the subject matter. . . he OOZES cool.

Death:
Where to die, huh?  Ummmm. . . Either in my lover's arms, with the smell of autumn surrounding me. . . or on top of a mountain, cold wind dulling my senses. . . basically depending on whether I'm single or not, LoL.

S or M?:
I like the IDEA of magic. . . if it was real, I'd like it so much more. . . but since it's not real. . . science, 'cause I can actually DO stuff with it. . . but if magic WERE real. . . oh there would be SUCH a reckoning!!!

Afterlife:
Yes, yes I do. . .

JvsE;PvsH?:
Johnny Cash. . . THE man in black; Jimmy Page. . . just 'cause I like his material more. . .

Well, that's about it. . . i hope it was mildly amusing/interesting.  I didn't want to make the questions too personal. . . or too cliche. . .

~The (Cliched) Cretin~

Offline Elizabeth

• The Elf
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Ahava le haim!
    • http://spaces.msn.com/members/narwen0/
Re: You. . . Me. . . Us.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 08:18:31 pm »
Book: The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien or The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. As you discarded one of the books because being part of a saga, I'll do the same! All hail mighty Zafon!

Song: The Bodyrockers - "I like the way". Lyrics here. It's defenetly not my fav song, but it describes me pretty well (eliminating the getting wrong thingy, of course  :biggrin:).

Underwear: wasn't this question dedicated to Nighthawk? But what the hell. Some blue panties my mum brought me from Argentina  :lol3:

Hero: Batman or Wolverine. Batman.

Death: somewhere in South Argentina.

Science or Magic: I'm tempted to answer magic. But I'll just stick to science. Healthier.

Afterlife: not really.

Presley and Hendrix.

Thanks Tequila!

I don't trust astrology, because I'm a Gemini and Geminis don't trust astrology. Raymond Smullyan.

Offline IronCretin

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 09:52:29 am »
I haven't read anything by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. . . ummm. . . is it like, fantasy?  Sexscapades? LoL.

AHHHHH!!!  That song ALWAYS gets stuck in my head when its played on the radio, or on tv, or in a club. . . ARG.

*no comment*

Wolverine would DEVOUR Batman. . . and then use the batarangs to pick his teeth. . . Bats is cool. . . but, c'mon, WOLVERINE!!!  And, Batman loses points for one of the worst sidekicks EVER.

LoL, way to pick the opposite singer AND guitarist of me!  LoL.  If you were Nighthawk, I'd disown u.

~The (Vengeful) Cretin~

Offline Ortelius

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 11:13:35 am »
Favorite Book? - you mentioned Clive Barker's "Weaveworld", Mr. Cretin - reminds me of his "Books of Blood" from the 80s - after reading Stephen King and a few other mass market-type horror writers, Clive was something else... literate, fantastical and fond of grue!

A song that describes an aspect of me:-              Another Sabbat song (The Best of Enemies, "Dreamweaver"), coz I loves 'em.

The Life-force is as strong in
you as it is strong in me,
the difference is what you
hold captive I set free.
You seek to subjugate all
those who won't comply,
I'll take your prejudice and
pride and show you why -
the values that you held so dear
(all your laws and rules),
they hold no more sway here
than the muttering of fools.
Just take a look about you and
I'm sure that you will find -
Heaven lies within our hearts
and Hell is but a figment of
your mind.

I like that last line... I don't think there is a literal Hell, it's here on Earth born of human failings... and conquered by people striving to overcome those failings... perhaps.  Also reminds me of being overseas in a culture different to Australia, where what I've grown up with, morals and perceptions, aren't inherently true or correct elsewhere... had to change my mindset quite a bit!

Favorite pair of underwear?  My many ragged pairs... they're clean though!

Favorite superhero?  Bruce Dickinson for being a Renaissance man, flashing blades, flying planes, writing silly books, and singing his heart out with no end in sight!

When to die:-  when I'm old and gray and I know in my bones it's time to shuffle off this mortal coil

Where to die:-  somewhere quiet, with a few good friends and family to say a gentle goodbye.  The garden of my parents' house would be ideal; can't think of a more peaceful, safe place

Science or Magic?  Science seems to hold sway, but I like Magic to skew things a little and keep us young

Do you believe in an afterlife?  Yes, time to take stock, tally up things, look over your life, recognise what was good, what was bad, come to an understanding of it somehow... after that, I don't know, maybe that's the after-afterlife.

Elvis Presley all the way - haunting figure, did he know what he was channelling when he started singing and shaking like a madman?

Jimi Hendrix - I heard a story that he never took his guitar off, walked around with it all the time so if he got the muse, he could start playing.  THAT's committment to your art

I enjoyed that... feel like a walk now  :thumbup:

Offline IronCretin

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 11:27:15 am »
LoL, yeah, Clive Barker's incredible. . . I mean, he's written quite a few ho-hum novels (I didn't really find Sacrament that spectacular. . . and Coldheart Canyon was just. . . wierd. . . decent. . . but wierd), but when he writes a strong novel. . . wow.  I mean, Weaveworld just blew me away, it was macabre, magical, gripping, everything a GOOD novel should be (except maybe the macabre. . .  I just like that).  I do, ironically, enjoy Stephen King. . . he's pretty accessible and written some great novels, esp. some of his short stories (see the Bachman Books and Different Seasons).  Admittedly, he's put out some tripe, ok, a LOT of tripe. . . but he's also done IT, The Stand, Carrie, The Dark Tower series. . . awesome.

Those lyrics are pretty awesome, granted. . . I've always meant to check out Sabbat. . . maybe sooner rather than later. . . after I finish completing my Opeth collection. . .

Glad they're clean. . . they BETTER be. . .

~The (Commentating) Cretin~

Offline Ortelius

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 12:03:17 pm »
I here what you say about eary Clive Barker - Weaveworld, Great & Secret Show, Books of Blood, Nightbreed, were all very fine.

The later novels seemed to get very, very ambitious - Imajica, Gallilee (?), so huge in scope with so many characters and things to keep track of that I found them a bit lacking in as much effect as the works above.  The horror elements also seemed to lessen quite a bit, I think by the time of Sacrament the volume was down...

Lots of respect to Stephen King, he's a craftsman - when you read about his ideas on writing, and his understanding of the horror tropes (his non-fiction Danse Macabre survey of fantasy/horror writing), you get a very perceptive look at the field.

He has put out some ho hum stuff, but I speculate that his writing serves its own personal purposes for him; he doesn't need to write a particular type of novel, he's made his money, so I guess he can try other "voices" - but, having read IT, Salem's Lot, etc., as a kid, I do yearn for those old stories that kept me awake at night.  That may, however, simply be childhood nostalgia - you can't get that feeling back so easily.

I think it was King who talked about how the 80s' slasher villains (Jason, Michael, etc) were almost guardians of normality in society - teenagers who go off alone and do anything rebellious/individualistic, i.e. have sex, take drugs, be different, end up being killed!  Jason ends up being a protector of the status quo! 

Sabbat - they've reissued/remastered their 2 albums "History of a Time to Come" ('87) and "Dreamweaver" ('89) - both very late 80s-style thrash, but with a British twist to things with their focus on Celtic-styled myth. 

Sabbat's then-guitarist is Andy Sneap, who has been very producing lots of metal from Archenemy, Nevermore, Exodus, and a raft of others.

"Dreamweaver" is a concept album based on a book by Bryan Bates "The Way of Wyrd", about a Christian priest who goes to pagan Wales (?) with the mission to convert the people there.  Only the spirits and magicians of the place have different ideas, and confront him with some very different views that he finds hard to balance with his own dogma...

By all means get Opeth first... I'm a slacker, as I've only got "Ghost Reveries" - need to get some more - thought I might get the Deliverance/Damnation CDs, but I understand that they weren't that well-received - bit rushed or something?

Offline IronCretin

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 12:15:57 pm »
Yeah, I've heard Sabbat's Dreamweaver is one of those. . . GET albums (if that makes sense?). . .

Agreed, King's newer works seem less. . . I dunno, HIS??  His early works are definately more spine-tingling. . . I LOVED Pet Semetary. . . Has to be one of the most haunting (if predictable) endings I've read. . .

Opeth's incredible. . . I couldn't NOT recommend one of their cds. . . but I wouldn't start with Deliverance.  If you like their mellow stuff, by all means get Damnation. . . AWESOME album, really, REALLY good, LoL.  Kind of like. . . '70s feel to it. . . Apparently a lot like King Crimson (another band I've been meaning to get into).  If I had to recommend Opeth's albums, I'd recommend them in this order:

Ghost Reveries (most accessible, good place to start, very polished)
Blackwater Park (very varied in song types/structure. . . awesome. . . perhaps their most commercial, certainly their most guitar-driven)
Morningrise (Early Opeth is VERY different to the incarnation there is now. . . John DeFarfalla really makes a difference. . . a bit more raw and rougher production. . . VERY charming and awesomely arranged. . . still, it's rough, nice, but rough)
Damnation (awesome mellow album, would be higher. . . but it's not really the same TYPE of album. . . not as varied as the others, variety is something I love in an album)
Still Life (Some consider this their best. . . but I struggle with it. . . I think it was their most polished AT the time, but compared to BwP and GR. . . it's not as good. . . and, personally, I like Morningrise better. . . this IS an awesome album, and many DO consider it their best. . . I just prefer some of their other works)
Orchid (Again, early Opeth. . . I just love this album.  Not quite as polished as Morningrise, but still awesome)
Deliverance (It's got some AWESOME tracks. . . but it lacks that 'special' quality that changes an album from good to spectacular, but buy it for Master's Apprentices alone!!  The other tracks are good. . . but not AS good as their other material.  I wouldn't say it's bad, but they have better works. . . The lyrics in this album, though, are awesome.  I wrote a complete interpretation of it, if you're interested)

Sadly, I have yet to get My Arms, Your Hearse.  Soon, hopefully.  I REALLY want the cover to Maiden's Remember Tomorrow. . . Awesome track, covered by an awesome band.

~The (Opethesque) Cretin~
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 12:18:46 pm by IronCretin »

Offline Ortelius

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 12:56:43 pm »
 That's an interesting way of putting it, about King's work being less "His"...  "Salem's Lot" ranks for me as one of his most spine-tingling.  I like the way he took the vampire idea and treated it with complete seriousness.  Movies usually followed the predictable introduction of the vampire, someone becomes a vampire, the fearless vampire hunters join forces, then they march on the vampire count's castle and put a stake through him - retelling "Dracula" over-and-over again.

I enjoyed the sense of an aftermath - Jerusalem's Lot was pretty much a ghost-town - the vampires were victorious; everyone was undead or left town.  The parts where the main characters went out by day looking for the vampires' bolt-holes was particularly memorable - dragging undead families out into the sunlight, and the sheer horror of having to do such a thing.

Some of his later stuff would seem a bit comic, a bit ironic - "Needful Things" - some of the writing could get a bit overly self-referential, referring back to characters/places, e.g. Derry or Ace Merrill or something. 

Last one I read of King's was "Cell" and that wasn't too bad - interesting riff on the Romero zombie idea - bit whacky in places, but had its moments.

Thanks for the Opeth run-down - you know your stuff - will endeavour to dig into their back-catalogue a bit more.

I do like the progressive feel to their music - King Crimson aren't a bad point of reference.  I scored a King Crimson compilation going cheap at JBs (know it?) and that was a lucky find.  Also got a Rush compilation, so that kicked off my prog collection.  Really want to delve further into these two bands, because the musicianship is phenomenal - no compromise here, art for art's sake!

Offline IronCretin

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 01:17:59 pm »
THAT'S IT EXACTLY!!!  LoL.  That's EXACTLY why I love SK's work, he brings things HOME.  I mean, IT, Cujo, The Shining, they all feel so. . . CLOSE.  Kind of like The Blair Witch Project, except less nauseating (by the by, Black Witch Project had THE BEST ending I've seen in ages. . . that was so freakin' crap-tastic. . . but the movie kinda sucked).  Salem's Lot was good, I liked how it was, kinda, a spin-off of The Dark Tower series (or a pre-spin-quel?).  Have you read the entire series?

Yeah, Jb Hi-Fi is pretty awesome actually, you can find a lot of good cds there for decent prices. . . I mean, not everything, but surprisingly quite a bit.

I never got into Rush. . . I had Moving Pictures on cassette. . . but I just couldn't get into it.  Maybe things would be different now (I've developed a lot more, and wider, taste), but back then, I only like Tom Sawyer, and that Witch Hunt track (which was undeniably awesome). 

Anyways. . . You're welcome for the Opeth rundown, I hope it helped.  I'd recommend reading some reviews, but that's my summation of the albums. . . Most will, more or less, agree I think.

~The (Pleasantly Surprised) Cretin~

Offline Sirius13

• R.I.P.
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • RebornThroughHate-We'llSlashYour NecksUntilYouDie
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 05:51:21 pm »
Sadly, I have yet to get My Arms, Your Hearse.
IMHO this is their very best work.  :thumbup:

...closely followed by Still Life and Blackwater Park.  Deliverance is ok, so are Damnation & Morningrise.  Orchid never held my attention, likewise Ghost Reveries.
voces muy confusas entran en la mente!!!
www.spiritusmortis.com

Offline Sirius13

• R.I.P.
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • RebornThroughHate-We'llSlashYour NecksUntilYouDie
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 05:59:12 pm »
Quote from: IronCretin
Favorite Book?
Stephen Donaldson - The Gap Into Ruin - This Day All Gods Die
voces muy confusas entran en la mente!!!
www.spiritusmortis.com

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 08:30:20 pm »
Favorite Book? – Hmmm... tough question... maybe “Sinuhe” from Mika Waltari. Generally I read it once every year.

What song would you say describes some aspect of you (may be emotional, physical, anything, but is NOT necessarily ur favorite song)?  Also, paste the lyrics here. . . - Well, here is a song I like, but it describes only an aspect of mine... and please do not comment...

Artist: Tito & Tarantula
Song: After Dark

Watching her
Strolling in the night
So white
Wondering why
It's only After Dark

In her eyes
A distant fire light
burns bright
Wondering why
It's only After Dark

I find myself in her room
Feel the fever of my doom
Falling falling
Through the floor
I'm knocking on the Devil's door

In the Dawn
I wake up to find
her gone
And a note says
Only After Dark

Burning burning
in the flame
Now I know her
secret name
You can tear her temple down
But she'll be back
and rule again

In my heart
A deep and dark
and lonely part
Wants her and
waits for After Dark

Favorite pair of underwear? - :blush: :fish:

Favorite superhero? – My husband.

If you could choose when and where you die. . . what would you choose? – I’d like to die when nobody needs me anymore. No matter where. :)

Science or Magic? – Both. :biggrin:

Do you believe in an afterlife? - Yes I do.

Do you prefer Johnny Cash or Elvis Presley? Jimmy Page or Jimi Hendrix? – Elvis and Hendrix.

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 10:13:22 pm »
Favorite book- I'd say Tolkein's "Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" are my favorites.
What song describes some aspect of me- For a while I thought of such when I listened to Nightwish's 2001 version of "Astral Romance", but currently, none.
Favorite pair of underwear- I'd say some black boxers with squares, or my red boxers that look like a Scottish quilt from a distance if I put my legs together. :biggrin:
When to die- Whenever fate decides, but I have to at least achieve a few things in life, children included.
Where to die- Perhaps in St. Petesburg, Russia, my birthplace can serve as a nice deathplace.
Science or Magic? Scientific Magic :lol:
Afterlife- Yes, something lies beyond. I believe that it is then when we actually learn the meaning of life.
Hendrix and Elvis on my side. :)
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline Ortelius

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 01:16:40 am »
To the Iron Cretin,

Stephen King and bringing it Home - yep, that got me thinking as to why he can transport you, bring you into his mythos.

I mean, it takes a pretty huge leap of faith to go with the idea of vampires and believe in the idea.

King's use of familiar settings, cultural references, people, etc, works to that "suspension of disbelief" - you're happy to sign on to his weird fantasy, and take a ride.

Unfortunately, I haven't checked out the Dark Tower series - might have to! 

As for Rush, it's an acquired taste.  I find the biggest thing to get past is Geddy Lee's vocals - they're not... orthodox.  If you can get a cheap compilation, that might be a good way to ease into them. 

I find that there are tons of bands out there that people regularly namecheck as being great, but I'm not willing to drop cash on something I might be a bit uncertain about. 

Which is way some cheapies at JBs was always welcome - good way to expand the CD collection without too much risk!

Offline IronCretin

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 05:50:20 am »
Yeah, cheap cds are awesome.  I got breed 77's Cultura for $5 the other day (at Red Eye, though, not JB).  I mean, I wouldn't pay full price for it, but it's a solid album (kind of like Fuel, meets the GOOD parts of 3 Doors Down, meets Spain. . . LoL). 

The Dark Tower series is decent.  I think SOME of the things in it really pissed me off. He made it TOO fantastic.  I mean, it was good, and the ending was. . . well, I'll let u make up ur own mind. . . The first book is AWESOME though, seriously awesome. 

~The (Seriously) Cretin~

Offline Nighthawk

• Life on Mars?
    • Lust.fm
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 12:57:49 pm »
Damnation. . . AWESOME album, really, REALLY good, LoL.  Kind of like. . . '70s feel to it. . . Apparently a lot like King Crimson (another band I've been meaning to get into).
I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a lot like King Crimson... it has a certain crimonish feeling, but lacks the acid jazzness of teh tr00 King Crimson. Still, Damnation is a classic 70s prog rock album and a definitive must hear. Beautiful stuff.

As for The Dark Tower, thankee-sai for mentioning it. I'm currently reading Wizard and Glass and havin' the time of my life (the only problem is my extremely, extremely slow reading style). Long days and pleasant night, if it please ya.

Just last night I read the first issue of Marvel's latest comic series... which is, ironically enough, about the Gunslinger. Think Roland's beginnings, Cort and his lessons... it ends with the beginning of Wizard and Glass, when they finally stop to hear his tale. Y'know, the prostitute by him, You have forgotten the face of your father and stuff. The comic is by-the-book and beautifully drawn and colored, so I have no other choice but to wholeheartedly recommend it. Kudos for Marvel (a fan of whom I'm not).

Too fantastic? Erm... dude, it's an epic western fantasy series. It's like saying 300 isn't historical enough.

But, yeah, I get you're not into fantasy that much *cough*heathen*cough*.

Favorite Book?

Dune by Frank Herbert. Why? Because Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife. *mysterious*

What song [yadda, yadda] paste the lyrics here. . .

Simon & Garfunkel - A Hazy Shade of Winter

Time, time, time
See what's become of me
While I looked around for my possibilities
I was so hard to please
But look around,
Leaves are brown
And the sky is a hazy shade of winter

Hear the Salvation Army band
Down by the riverside
It's bound to be a better ride
Than what you got planned
Carry your cup in your hand
And look around you
Leaves are brown, now

'Hang on to your hopes my friend'
That's an easy thing to say
But if your hopes should pass away
Simply pretend that you can build them again
Look around
The grass is high
The fields are ripe
It's the springtime of my life

Aaah, seasons change with the scenery
Weaving time in a tapestry
Won't you stop and remember me
At any convenient time?

Funny how my memory skips
While looking over manuscripts
Of unpublished rhyme
Drinking my vodka and lime
I look around
Leaves are brown, now

Favorite pair of underwear?
The one Iron gave me last Christmas, after I ate the last pair I had. They're beautiful, the hole he cut out at the front before giving it to me notwithstanding.

Actually, the hole is pretty useful when it gets hot - the cool breeze is pretty pleasing and I'm really happy about it, but for some reason I keep getting these 'indecent exposure' charges in court. Go figure.

Favorite superhero?
I was gonna say Iron, but I don't want him to get cheeky. So, I'm gonna go with Batman? Why? In a world where aliens with superpowers fly around and fight crime, this rich guy puts on a bat suit and starts getting pissed off on everyone. He's a complete psycho. You gotta love 'im. Now, I'm not talking about the gay Batman, the one with Robin and that lameass costume and whatnot - I'm talking about the angst-ridden, solo Batman, Batman: Year One, Killing Joke... that kind of Batman. Love the guy.

If you could choose when and where you die. . . what would you choose?
I'd kill myself in some way. Still trying to devise a good way of going... hanging myself is one option. I'd rather not cut my veins - that's just too messy. When I think about it, hanging myself would be the simplest way, because I want to be whole when they bury me. If I'm gonna be a zombie, I wanna have as much as my body as possible.

On the other hand, overdosing with something is a good option. One last kick before I go.

Speaking of kicks, the best way to go for me would be to jump from a building. Damn, that'd be a thrill.

Then splat.

Then silence.

Science or Magic?
Magic. No zombies in science.

Well, no magic zombies.

Do you believe in an afterlife?
Nope. When I die, I die. I decompose. I'm no more.

It's pretty depressing, really.

Do you prefer Johnny Cash or Elvis Presley? Jimmy Page or Jimi Hendrix?
Cash - The man in black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger followed.
Page - Like his feeling and his songs more.
Can't stop the signal.

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2007, 01:38:31 pm »
My turn now:

Favorite Book? ... mmmm Tough one ...mmm... let's say Travel to Ixtlan by Carlos Castaneda (the last 20 or 30 pages are pure magic)

Favorite pair of underwear? ... Those ugly yellow boxers my g.f. gave me for x-mas  :nosweat:

Favorite superhero? ... Batman (just a very normal and very deranged guy with lots of wonderful toys and a nice car. Great!)

If you could choose when and where you die. . . what would you choose? When ... just after my body says "OK, that'a all folks!" ... Where ... in the wild next to a big a tree and hearing the birds.

Science or Magic? :unsure: Let's see. I'm a scientist, and I know there is some magic in science... especially when you discover something wonderful that you cannot explain. Most of the first scientists were "magicians" first and some of them were even burned because of that :pop:. Thus, science wouldn't exist without magic. So let's go with magic and join the other scientists in the furnace :fireevil:  (Burning?... I was born for burning!)

Do you believe in an afterlife? Yes.

Do you prefer Johnny Cash or Elvis Presley? Jimmy Page or Jimi Hendrix? Jonny Page... no wait, Jimmy Cash... well, whatever.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 03:10:18 pm by Aluqak »
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline IronCretin

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2007, 02:16:36 pm »

Too fantastic? Erm... dude, it's an epic western fantasy series. It's like saying 300 isn't historical enough.

Erm, well, since you haven't finished the series, I hardly think u're qualified to dispose of my opinion so quickly. . . I mean. . . finish the series and you'll see what I mean. . . it just gets a bit. . . over the top for my taste.

But, yeah, I get you're not into fantasy that much *cough*heathen*cough*.

I actually prefer horror.

Dune by Frank Herbert. Why? Because Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife. *mysterious*

Have you heard To Tame a Land ~Iron Maiden~?

And yes, I am a pretty cool superhero. . . If I am, indeed, the Iron you were mentioning. . . and yes, that underwear DID rock. . . and my pair gave me a nice breeze. . . but was horrible when I sat on anything made of metal *soooo cooooold*

To Aluqak:

I too am a scientist. . . I dissect rabbits and eat their appendices. . .

~The (Ravenous) Cretin~

Offline Nighthawk

• Life on Mars?
    • Lust.fm
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2007, 09:23:18 pm »

Erm, well, since you haven't finished the series, I hardly think u're qualified to dispose of my opinion so quickly. . . I mean. . . finish the series and you'll see what I mean. . . it just gets a bit. . . over the top for my taste.
Dispose of your opinion? You're making it sound as if I attacked you and told you your opinion sucked rabbits and that I'm the king of the world and whatnot. I just stated that it's an epic western fantasy series - it's not something I made up, it's how it's classified. I think the problem lies in you not being specific enough - but, since I don't want spoilers, let's leave that discussion for later.

Do you see the irony in calling a fantasy book too fantastic?

When dealing with that genre, try to avoid that term.

I actually prefer horror.
Plain good ol' horror or weird stories too?

Weird (horror) stories that mention phrases like, oh, I dunno, from the top of my head, ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn?

Have you heard To Tame a Land ~Iron Maiden~?
I don't think I have. Dune-related? I can dive into my Maiden collection when I get home. Mental note.

and yes, that underwear DID rock. . . and my pair gave me a nice breeze. . . but was horrible when I sat on anything made of metal *soooo cooooold*
That's because you're not hot enough.

I never had that problem.

To Aluqak:

I too am a scientist. . . I dissect rabbits and eat their appendices. . .

~The (Ravenous) Cretin~
To Aluqak:

Yeah. That's why he has such a nice tan.
Can't stop the signal.