Author Topic: Lunar eclipse?  (Read 14896 times)

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
Lunar eclipse?
« on: February 27, 2007, 12:55:28 pm »
Hey,

is it true that there will be a total lunar eclipse this Saturday??? (Or I've read some stupid hoax again on the internet.) I don't know if it will be visible from my shiny city, but maybe I'll give it a try. :)

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Re: Lunar eclipse?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 02:48:49 pm »
Hi there,

I was about to write about this, anyway: Yes, there will be a total lunar eclipse this Saturday, with a totality duration of more than 70 minutes, visible from all of Europe. :)

My work is about to begin, so I'll post the more detailed links later.

Cheers!

Markus Eklipticus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline Loke

• Twisted Bard
  • let the twisted pipes blow
    • me
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 04:00:56 pm »
Scripta Manet

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 04:22:30 pm »
Hey there,

the best ressource, as usually, is the NASA Eclipse Home Page - see this article. All you need to know is in there. :)

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 04:26:41 pm »
Sorry for ruining the surprize, Markus... :blush:

Could you please give some advice too for how to take photos of the eclipse? I've already rang the alarm to my family photographers, seems like they are in.

I order the skies to be crystal clear that night... :pop:

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 04:33:01 pm »
Well, according to this thing I'd only be able to see part of the eclipse, while you guys on the other side of the pond will be able to see it all. Again mother nature forbids me to see a good show :mad3:
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Loke

• Twisted Bard
    • me
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 04:40:52 pm »
Well, according to this thing I'd only be able to see part of the eclipse, while you guys on the other side of the pond will be able to see it all. Again mother nature forbids me to see a good show :mad3:

Well after all we had our solar total eclipse didnt we? hehehe

it's much more better than a lunar one...

yo yo yo :P
Scripta Manet

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 04:49:05 pm »
 :unsure: What are you talking about?... did I miss a solar eclipse on the top of that? ... The last solar eclipse I saw was in 1998 and I was in still in my homecountry. Here in Canada I've had just two-three moon eclipse in eight years, that's all.
Volons, volons, laisse toi porter par ta croyance immortelle, laisse ton désir devenir tes ailes...
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 08:29:06 pm »
Hey folks,

Fishy, you may check the World Atlas of Solar Eclipses for total, annular and hybrid solar eclipses: 1981-2009 and 2001-2020. Comfort thee, youhaven't missed anything recently.

And Luthy, have a look at MrEclipse.com's section about lunar eclipses. Mr. Espenak aka Mr. Eclipse has excellent photo-tips for all kinds of equipment.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 08:36:17 pm »
And Luthy, have a look at MrEclipse.com's section about lunar eclipses. Mr. Espenak aka Mr. Eclipse has excellent photo-tips for all kinds of equipment.

Thanks!

Lucy aka Luthy :wink2:

Offline Loke

• Twisted Bard
    • me
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 09:57:36 pm »
:unsure: What are you talking about?... did I miss a solar eclipse on the top of that? ... The last solar eclipse I saw was in 1998 and I was in still in my homecountry. Here in Canada I've had just two-three moon eclipse in eight years, that's all.

But you could see that solar eclipse and not all the europeans could!

yo yo yo :P
Scripta Manet

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 10:02:00 pm »
Sorry, Mylady,

I was too exthited about the upcoming eclipse. :biggrin:

Cheerth!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 10:06:10 pm »
exthited

Haha, I forgive you because you've made me laugh. :lol:

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 10:07:37 pm »
Hey folks,
Fishy, you may check the World Atlas of Solar Eclipses for total, annular and hybrid solar eclipses: 1981-2009 and 2001-2020. Comfort thee, youhaven't missed anything recently.
Thanks for the good intentions man.... but you actually get me more depressive! I mean, look at the map yourself, there is not a single solar eclipse between now and 2020 somewhere near Québec city or Colombia  :bawl:. It seems that I'll have to get a job in Borneo, those guys are going to have three major ones between 2009 and 2019. Well, the midle of the south Pacific Ocean seems a good bet too, but there are not to many metal shows over there. Wait a sec. how many metal shows are there in Borneo every year :unsure: ... Man, I'll better stop thinking. Valium anyone? :insane:
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 10:20:52 pm »
Hey Alu, don't be sad, I missed a total solar eclipse too because I was in Italy. The next one that passes in my country will be in 2081, when I will probably be in some other place. :) So I must travel to see one (I have to do it! me wanna see total solar eclipse), join me if you want! We can talk about the particulars later. :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 10:26:07 pm by Lucy »

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2007, 10:05:59 am »
Hey folks,

Alu, where exactly are you located on that map? Between the lines of U1 and U2 or between U2 and U3? (No, this is not about Irish pop music, we're talking about science! :lol3:)

And besides that, solar eclipses are something to travel to - there's no point in waiting for one to visit you at home. The next total one will be a very difficult goal - the best viewing chances will be in Siberia and Mongolia. But if anyone here ever plans to do an eclipse journey, let me know - I might be in for it!

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2007, 03:08:30 pm »
Alu, where exactly are you located on that map? Between the lines of U1 and U2 or between U2 and U3? (No, this is not about Irish pop music, we're talking about science! :lol3:)
Hey man, I'm between U1 and U2 ... just before the release of Ratle and Hum... :unsure: ... errr no, that part is pop music.
Concerning solar eclipses, well I guess you are right. I think I got the bad habit of seeing them from home (we got two in Colombia during the 90's... and I think I missed a small one, one or two years ago). Anyway, I don't think I'll be ready to go to Mongolia... I would love to, but... well, you never know.
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Aluqak

• Chief Anglerfish
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Feed me!
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2007, 05:23:34 pm »
AAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!  :mad3:
There is a snowstorm coming and it's gonna last until saturday night! I'm gonna miss the eclipse :bawl:
Pazuzu, 1996

GOT ?

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2007, 08:29:42 pm »
Nevermind, man!

The night that Kyrill raged over Germany I saw bright Venus through a hole in the clouds. How would you like a total lunar eclipse on a cloud-hole above a snowstorm?

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2007, 10:35:35 am »
Hey there,

another thing I want to mention: This eclipse is another nice chance to prove the visibility of the penumbra. ;)

The penumbra is the outer part of the shadow, the umbra being the inner one.  If you stand in the umbra you don't get any direct sunlight, the sun is completely hidden from your view. Standing in the penumbra you still get some direct sunlight, the sun is hidden from your view only partially. Because the penumbra encloses the umbra on all sides the moon must pass through the penumbra befor it can reach the umbra.

Now, it's a common misconception about lunar eclipses to say that this penumbral phase of the eclipse is invisible. Often the penumbral  eclipse is not even mentioned with this excuse. Don't let them fool you! When the moon is just dipping a bit into the penumbra you really won't see anything, but when it's deeper in you will notice if you only look well enough. The full moon will not be as glaringly bright as it usually is, there will be a subtle dimming. Chiefly you will notice a brightness difference between two limbs of the moon - the one that's deeper in will look clearly darker than the opposite limb that's near the outer rim of the penumbra. This is very easy to see a few minutes before the moon enters the umbra, but in an eclipse like this you have a good chance to see the penumbral darkening, say, half an hour before the umbral eclipse begins.

For an example, see this photo gallery. The pic at the very bottom shows a deep penumbral eclipse.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!