Author Topic: Notessomes' Secret Recipes  (Read 41394 times)

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
Re: Notessomes' Secret Recipes
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2006, 10:22:16 am »
Hi there,

have I mentioned before that I bake my own bread? It's not really a recipe, but I love to eat oven-fresh bread with butter or with good oils like olive or linseed oil. yummy

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!
Eager to hear you is what we are.

Offline VladH

• Shapeshifter
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Dead
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2006, 05:26:34 pm »
I'm just making new meal :) Its true experiment consisting of meat, apples, butter, carrots, fennel and selery, cream and roasted potatoes - true kitchens alchemy  :thumbup:
The Longships are coming...

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2006, 10:09:19 pm »
I hope you can actually get soem gold out of that Vlad... Else you're just wasting your time.
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline VladH

• Shapeshifter
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Dead
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2006, 10:14:45 pm »
It was goooooooood and worth 2 hours of work ;) It was not gold but true silver for my stomach....  :lol:

Tomorrow I should make my Secret Weaponsmiths Sauce...... and next day some apple cider for better apetite ;)

I have also hunted sth today but Markus didn't wanted to be baked  :nosweat:

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • BEE-hive! :D
    • My blog about our homestead life
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2006, 02:54:31 pm »
Hi there,

have I mentioned before that I bake my own bread? It's not really a recipe, but I love to eat oven-fresh bread with butter or with good oils like olive or linseed oil. yummy

Cheers!

Markus

Could you please write its recipe?!

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2006, 05:15:14 pm »
Hi Lucy,

this one is simple: Take an oven-fresh bread while still warm. Cut off a slice and spread some butter on it. Once the butter is molten, sprinkle a bit of salt over it - bon appetit!

Cheers!

Markus

P.S.: Bread recipe to follow. ;)
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Elizabeth

• The Elf
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Ahava le haim!
    • http://spaces.msn.com/members/narwen0/
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2006, 07:14:20 pm »
Geeeezzz... I'm happy. I've got the best mum ever!  :bow: I just ate some home-made crepes suzette (pancakes with orange and brandy sauce). The recipe must be translated from hebrew, so I'll do that tomorrow with her, and immediatey post it here.  :lol3:

Thanks Tequila!

I don't trust astrology, because I'm a Gemini and Geminis don't trust astrology. Raymond Smullyan.

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2006, 11:32:21 am »
Hi Lucy,

this one is simple: Take an oven-fresh bread while still warm. Cut off a slice and spread some butter on it. Once the butter is molten, sprinkle a bit of salt over it - bon appetit!

Cheers!

Markus

P.S.: Bread recipe to follow. ;)

:mad:

P. S.: :lol3:

Offline VladH

• Shapeshifter
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Dead
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2006, 03:42:40 pm »
 ¬¬ Hmmmmm..... I'm waiting for Elven secret recipe.... I'm getting hungry..... and no cookies today.....

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2006, 03:58:21 pm »
Hi there,

so here's how I make my bread. It will sound more complicated than it is, because some things are far easier to do than to explain. But actually it's so ridiculously simple... in fact it's a technique so very simple that millennia ago every housewife in Egypt and in Israel could do it. Except for the part with the fridge maybe, but that's only necessary when you don't bake every day.

Of course you can alter the amount of each and every ingredient according to your needs. I usually bake two large breads at once to use the oven well, then give one to my parents and keep one for myself.

1. Take two or three tablespoonfuls of ripe sourdough. If you don't have sourdough you can easily make one from nought in a week or so or have a friendly sourdough owner send you some. Take about 200 g of full wheat flour from a 1-kg-package. Mix the flour with the ripe dough and some water into a rather soft dough. Put this in a glass, a small bowl or something and cover it loosely. Loosely, I said, and make sure that the vessel is only half-full. The dough will produce gas and grow as it ripens. Leave this in a warm spot (>20°C, some doughs will do with 18°C as well) for half a day.

2. Take a larger bowl, fill in the ripe dough from the first step, the rest of the kilogram flour and some water again and stir this until it becomes a rather soft dough. Leave it in a warm spot for another half day. If your plans change and step 1 or step 2 last a whole or even a little longer, nevermind - sourdough is robust.

3. Take two or three tablespoonfuls of the ripe sourdough into a jar, close the lid and put that in the fridge for the next time.

4. Look into the fridge to make sure you didn't forget step 3.

5. Stir another kilogram of flour and two tablespoonfuls of salt into the ripe dough. Add water in small portions until you get an elastic dough - the right consistence is a matter of experience. Knead the dough hard for five minutes or longer.

6. Shape bread loafs with wet hand and put them in a form (the loafs, not your hands). I use a long rectangular cake form or a plain steel cooking pot, laid out with baking paper. Put them in the oven at no more than 50°C and leave the dough to rise for about an hour.

7. Cut the breads deeply with a moist bread knife so they won't burst uncontrolled later. Leave to rise for about another hour. This is a matter of experience again - you will soon see when your bread has risen to its fullest so you can bake it just before it would begin to collaps again.

8. Pre-heat the oven to 200-225°C; take the breads out for the time being.

9. Moisten the bread surfaces with a clean wet brush. Put the breads in the oven and regulate it down to 175°C. Leave the breads baking for two hours. After 30-60 minutes cover them with another sheet of baking paper so they don't get too dark.

10. Take the breads out of the oven, moisten their surfaces with the wet brush once more and take them out of the form.

11. Cut off a first slice impatiently, spread butter and salt on it and enjoy.

Of course you can add any ingredients you like, from seeds over herbs or spices to olives or fruit chunks.

Cheers!

Markus Gastronomicus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Elizabeth

• The Elf
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Ahava le haim!
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2006, 04:14:49 pm »
Hmm... the pancake recipe must wait until Monday. Sorry, Vlad. My mum was tired today, when she got home, and my parents are leaving tomorrow on a little trip to the mountains (me not goin' with them  :evil2:).

Thanks Tequila!

I don't trust astrology, because I'm a Gemini and Geminis don't trust astrology. Raymond Smullyan.

Offline VladH

• Shapeshifter
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Dead
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2006, 08:16:33 pm »
Evil Ely - so you make party?  :drunk:

Offline Elizabeth

• The Elf
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Ahava le haim!
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2006, 10:39:02 pm »
Neah - worst idea you can have, giving a party at home  :lol3:

Thanks Tequila!

Offline The One

• Misjudged young artist
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • NTSMS - every day closer to World Domination
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2006, 02:18:08 am »
You're right about that Eli, no one likes to clean up after the bunch of pigs that were invited once they're gone.
"All men are intellectuals, but not all men in society have the function of intellectuals" -Antonio Gramsci

Offline VladH

• Shapeshifter
  • Loyal Dreamer
  • Dead
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2006, 05:52:47 pm »
Depends from who you want to invite  :evil2:

Today I will drink with my friends - evil goats ;)

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2006, 11:16:46 am »
Thanks Markus!

Another question: how do you make sourdough (from nought)?
And how many times do you bake bread a week?

Offline Markus

• High Priest
  • Administrator
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2006, 08:43:28 pm »
Hi Lucy,

to make a sourdough from nought you simply treat the stuff you have as if it was a sourdogh already :lol3: How do you treat a sourdough? You just add fresh flour and water to it to "feed it" and leave it in a warm place - these are the steps 1 and 2 above. In each step you double the amount of flour at least, so if you have a dough made of 100 g flour, you add 100 g or more.

In the beginning you have nothing, so you just mix some flour and water and put it in a warm place for 12-24 hours. Then you add flour and water and leaving it standing again. When you've been playing this for a couple of days, the dough will begin to smell and taste sour and finally will begin to rise. That's when you can make your first truely own bread. :)

The background is that lactobacilli and wild yeasts live on the outside of the grains in the field. They get into the flour when the grains are ground. By treating the flour like described above you give them good conditions to multiply. These "good" microorganisms soon get the upper hand over mould and other bad guys as long as you keep feeding your sour dough regularly or keep it well refridgerated.

I usually bake once a week, but the ripe dough can last several weeks in the fridge.

Cheers!

Markus
Antichrist! Antichrist!
Opera music therionised.
Antichrist Superstar!

Offline Diane

• Metal Mommy
  • Loyal Member
    • Last FM
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2006, 07:59:13 pm »
Here is the recipe for the cheesecake I made for Thanksgiving.  It is very tasty.   You guys may have to look up  the measuring conversions, though. 

Pumpkin Maple Cheesecake

3 pkg. (8 oz) fat-free cream cheese, at room temperature
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree (pumpkin pie filling)
1/2 cup low-fat maple or vanilla yogurt
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour

1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp imitation maple or rum flavoring
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Assemble 9" spring form pan and coat with cooking spray.

2. Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time. Blend in pumpkin, yogurt, flour, cinnamon, ginger, maple flavoring, and vanilla extract.

3. Pour filling into pan. Bake until outer rim is puffy and center is slightly wobbly, about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Remove from oven and run knife around side to loosen. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Refrigerate warm cake, uncovered, until cold. Then cover with foil and refrigerate at least 4 hours (or up to 3 days). Remove 1 hour before serving.

4. When ready to serve, carefully remove side of pan. Cut into wedges with wet knife wiped clean between cuts. Garnish with crystallized ginger, if desired.

Makes 12 Servings

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cooking Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes

Chilling Time: 4 hours (or up to 3 days)

Offline Lucy

• Diamond Lady
  • Loyal Dreamer
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2006, 02:55:15 pm »
Hungarian Christmas cookie (similar to gingerbread but made with honey)

Ingredients:

50 dkg flour
15 dkg sugar
25 dkg honey
5 dkg margarine
2 teaspoons of spices
4 level teaspoons of baking soda
1 egg

The spices are the most important thing, the flavour is based on honey and clove. So put 1 teaspoon of ground clove, and the other teaspoon can be of cinnamon, cardamom, anise, ginger, tumeric, coriander, nutmeg... as you wish. :)

Every mommy has a different recipe of this traditional cookie. (I didn’t found yet my „perfect one”.) Baking it means that Christmas is very close. It’s a great feeling to take the special cooking utensils in hand, only once in a year. :)

Heat carefully the honey, the sugar and the margarine with the spices. When all is molten, finish to heat it and put the flour and the baking soda in the bowl, and stir it well. Later put the egg too, and stir again. (If the dough isn’t liquid enough, you can put one more egg in it.)

Put the dough on a floured board, and stretch it to a centimeter thick. Shape little pieces of it with appropriate forms. (Stars, Christmas trees, angels, or whatever.) Put them in a pan on baking paper, and moisten the cookies with a beaten egg. It needs only a little time to bake, so be careful!

For the decoration mix one egg-white with 10 dkg powdered sugar. You have to mix it long time and very hard, so I suggest you to do it with a food mixer. It’s ready when it becomes very hard. You can use it as a paint to decorate the cookies.

Offline lavaniegosII

• The Composer
  • Loyal Member
  • Fly free bird
    • www.myspace.com/ainset
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2006, 06:51:41 pm »
Mexican Quesadillas (quesa=queso=cheese, dilla=from tortilla)

Ingredients:

Cheese
Tortillas
Beens
Sausage
Mushroom

There isn't a Rule, just put the cheese in the tortilla, and then everything jajajaja and it's very tasty
6 6 6